Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

[SCP08] SCP Planning Thread

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Re: [SCP08] SCP Planning Thread
Post By seraphik. 05/06/08, 01:36 pm

i suggested the dinner competition thing, but i guess that might be a little too hard or get a bit out of hand. ahashlkjdg ;;

the beach sounds nice though!
seraphik
seraphik
transient mod of fury

Number of posts : 4598
Transforms into : a post-graduate
Registration date : 2007-12-31

[SCP08] SCP Planning Thread - Page 9 Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By jpwise. 05/06/08, 01:52 pm

Aura: yeah, if they take creditcard they'll likely either just use it as security, or do the $50 in which case I'll sort it out with everyone later.

As for the costings. I'm starting to work out some figures now.
Van - 12 seater - Rhodes Rentals Winter Weekend Special - $279 for the weekend. Comes with full tank, must return with full tank.
$279 / 12 people = $24 each (rounded up to nearest $ to give a buffer)
Luggage Trailer = $30 /12 = $2.50 (unless you want to be squeezed in like sardines amongst all the costumes & props). Could probably share a trailer between two vans tho, they're pretty big.
The vans are Toyota Hiace's 2.4 -> 3L motors.
Based on fuelsaver.govt.nz site apparently these use about 12.4L/100k. Doesn't say if the 12.4L/100k was fully loaded or not.
Based on discovernz.co.nz site it's 170km from Christchurch to Timaru (340k round trip)
Christchurch <-> Timaru = 43L fuel there and back. Say 50L to be on the safe side.
Based on discovernz.co.nz site it's 204km from Dunedin to Timaru (408k round trip)
Dunedin <-> Timaru = 51L fuel there and back, say 58L to be on the safe side.

Based on a full 12 people in each van, not factoring in splitting a single luggage trailer between two vans.
Van : $24
Luggage Trailer : $2.50
Accom : $10 for overnighters, $5 for day use if raining.
Fuel - Christchurch : 50L @ $2.009 = $101 / 12 = $8.45 ea fuel.
Fuel - Dunedin : 58L @ $2.009 = $117 / 12 = $9.75 ea fuel.

Assuming overnight, and excluding food arrangements:
Christchurch attendees: $24+2.5+10+8.45 = $44.95
Dunedin attendees: $24+2.5+10+9.75 = $46.25

So based on my calculations we're going to be looking at just shy of $50 each, but that does include the $10 for those staying overnight, so the only thing after that is food. Of course all of the figures are geared with a margin of safety, that said petrol will likely eat that up with increases.

I do like the idea of doing a dinner in town though, that would be funky, but if it's at a restaurant etc people will probably need to allow for ~$20 each, and a buffet restaurant like the Auckland dinner last year would probably be the best idea to avoid problems with the bill at the end.
jpwise
jpwise
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down
http://gallery.of.geek.nz

Post By Auroa. 05/06/08, 02:40 pm

whoa... I had to read that quite a few times to xD
thanks so much for all that research! [SCP08] SCP Planning Thread - Page 9 Gai_cr12

Okay so the $50 mark was a good estimate to base prices round.
gah I didn't think petrol would eat so much. Stupid high petrol prices ><'

Right.
Looking at those figures I'd say a restaurant might make the price too high for some... cause then we're talking around $70?
the other idea was to do that dinner competition (yeah I forgot about that seraphik lol)
found it:
Pyro wrote:
Seraphik- OMGDINNERCONTESTIDEAWINZ
I have an extension on your idea-
We split into two groups, and all go to the supermarket with $50 for each group (presumably we'll have about 25-30 people all in all, and 12-15 on each team, so that's less than ten dollars each, which'd be okay, right?) and then, in each group, we have to buy dinner for everyone, and whichever group has the most creative, tasty dinner, wins.
Of course, if we don't have enough food for a sensible dinner for everyone 'cause of bad budgeting, then afterwards we could go down to Burger King or another fast food joint and get extra food from there.
we have several situations [SCP08] SCP Planning Thread - Page 9 01210

whether we're in Timaru already or have to travel there for dinner, whether we go to the restaurant, or do the contest, or takeaway, whether those coming up for the day spend dinner with us or head home before hand.
Auroa
Auroa
Can't brain, has case of dumbs.

Number of posts : 4962
Transforms into : ૮◠ᴥ◠ა
Registration date : 2007-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post By jpwise. 05/06/08, 02:58 pm

lol, yeah, the first half or so is just figures. skip to half way and it summarises the results, but people can always recheck my figures if they want.

The only other thing would be if we got a diesel van it should be cheaper, as long as they don't sting us for RUC (road user charges) aswell. Also the normal rental has a $1800 excess if you hit something, there's a CDW thing that drops the excess to a couple of hundred, but you pay extra per day for it, so it depends on how confident the driver is. Also in theory that $1800 only applies if YOU hit something, not someone hits you, then it's their fault.

I might also be able to help out with the fuel a bit due to an arrangement I have with work for my fuel card, but I'll need to clarify a few things first. Would only apply for the ChCh leg, and refill in Timaru though for the Dunedin group. If I can swing it that is.

Edit: It's at a scout camp right? Could always just do the mass bbq, I'm pretty sure they'll have bbq facilities (worth confirming tho), and yeah, bulk packs of meat, bread, buns, salad etc would be cheap for a group that size. Another option anyways. ;)

Edit2: OK, I've also just been through another part of the Rhodes site, and apparently "The minimum rental age is 21 years. All intended drivers must present a valid full New Zealand or Overseas Drivers License at the time of rental. There is no charge for additional drivers." Doesn't quite state that minimum driver age is 21, but the person renting must be 21, so might need to clarify that with them.
jpwise
jpwise
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Pyro. 05/06/08, 03:36 pm

-sigh-

Just a random note, but I probably won't be able to come on the date you've got on the first page, so you can cancel me out of plans, and ignore my answer to the poll.

>>;;
Pyro
Pyro
Winner of the Infinitely Quotable Award

Number of posts : 3934
Transforms into : Tik-Tok Tibenoch
Registration date : 2007-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post By nyx613. 05/06/08, 03:57 pm

Wouldnt it be just as easy (For Dunedin people seeing as I dont know if Christchurch has these) To get a catch-a-bus and then some with a car-and-trailer drives up with all the gear? Everyone could chip in for feul for the car and we meet up at the camp?

Just a suggestion
nyx613
nyx613
Banana

Number of posts : 110
Transforms into : Celsiemon
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down
http://nyx613.deviantart.com/

Post By jpwise. 06/06/08, 01:43 am

Pyro: just that weekend, or ?

Aura/Seraphik: too late to change? Unless there's other people coming from North Island (anyone?) mine are probably about the only travel plans that get affected by changes since i'm flying in, but I haven't got the airfares booked yet, so until then i'm flexible aswell. anyways.
jpwise
jpwise
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By seraphik. 06/06/08, 02:27 am

nyx; it really depends how many people end up going. having a van gives the added freedom of being able to transport large props/luggage, being able to actually get to the venue (whereas we'd be left at the bus station) etc... but yeah, if worst comes to the worst we'll probably do that.

since we've used hire vans to get up to chch for armageddons before, i think there's one or two people that are interested that will be able to rent a van and drive up (and be familiar with the process.)
seraphik
seraphik
transient mod of fury

Back to top Go down

Post By Auroa. 06/06/08, 03:17 am

I think we picked the 30-31st cause when we were discussing the date, other people couldn't make the other weekends...
There were possibly 3 more coming up from the North Island but whether they still are or have booked their tickets I dont know.
Auroa
Auroa

Back to top Go down

Post By seraphik. 06/06/08, 04:41 am

yeah, if i remember right we ended up picking that weekend because it was umm.

a.) a good distance away from both auckland armageddon /and/ doujin overload
b.) away from people's birthdays, committments etc.

there's probably a c.) but i'm drawing a blank 8(
seraphik
seraphik
transient mod of fury

Back to top Go down

Post By IcyRose. 06/06/08, 06:00 am

It's also conveniently at the end of mid-semester break at uni, but I just found that out today when I checked.
IcyRose
IcyRose
lucky*

Number of posts : 1142
Transforms into : That Dark Handsome Swordsman
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down
http://roseandblossom.deviantart.com

Post By Willuknight. 06/06/08, 12:26 pm

Finances:
$50 each if you're taking the minivan sounds reasonable. I can be one of the drivers if needed, though I would prefer to take my car and 4 passengers.

With regard to food, it would be a lot cheaper overall if we just did 'catering' for everyone. A few massive group meals just as BBQ, Pizza, Pasta and breakfast and hamburgers would be easier to prepare, cheap to setup and would probably only add about $15pp. People can also bring snacks like biscuts and stuff if they get hungry inbetween. It will save having everyone making lots of trips into town for food, and spending up large on takeouts.

Going back to the subject of finances, we really need a 'treasurer' or someone to take charge of the money side of things, to collect peoples payments and organize the in/out flow, otherwise it's just going to get too hectic if we have a whole bunch of people. I personally nominate JP for this, if hes keen for it.

I would like to see everyone who is planning on taking part in this to put in a booking deposit of $10, or something, to confirm their place, and to give the organizers some money to play around with when it comes to booking stuff. Also with that, we would have some rough number estimations very early on, rather then having no idea whos comming.

If we have a core of 20 people that have paid a deposit a deposit, then we can plan based on a commited userbase and scale upwards from there.

Officialnessdom
In terms of having this properly organized and set up so that we can answer parents queries and have a professional front for interested parties (such as rental companies, the venue and parents) we really should have several people officially in charge of organizing things and clearly the people to contact about issues, and people parents can approach.

I'd be willing to be a part of helping make this event work, and it's clear to see that Aura and JP from there contributions to this thread would also be the people to see this through. I think that Lennon and Lulu could also organize things from the Dunedin end, as they are clearly the people responsible for the last dunedin road trip :)
Willuknight
Willuknight
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1288
Transforms into : Megatron
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Back to top Go down
http://willu.net

Post By jpwise. 06/06/08, 01:47 pm

Boo. I was hoping someone would have responded to Willu's suggestion so I could see what people thought, but since they haven't I'll just post now.

Um. Treasurer.. I haven't done that role before, but I can do it easily enough if people want me to. Aura/Seraphik: your comments?

On the costings side, I think rounding it up to $50 would be fair enough, the difference will likely be eaten up by petrol given the way it's going, might be a bit tricky with factoring in the Dunedin side of things, but we'd have a better idea of fuel usage based on how much is left in the tank once both groups get to Timaru, so it could still maybe be done as part of a package deal (ie: maybe booked in one hit to see if they'll give a discount for ~3 vans + 2 trailers).

The one day people would be $5 less if the campgrounds were used, $10 less if the weathers good and we end up at beach/park etc instead. So one dayers, hope for $40, allow for $45. Also need numbers on how many people are one day. On top of that if there are people/parents are bringing people for one day, are any of them willing to take passengers to/from aswell - recommend a contribution for their petrol&costs if thats the case. Edit: Just remembered also we need to recheck the one day rental costs. They have a different structure for day rental that sometimes includes k's used, I also don't know what the time cutoff is for return to still be classed as one day. The above figure is based on the weekend rate, so can be classed as a worst case.

So as Willu said if we can get people to put some money down and confirm their participation, then it just becomes a numbers game. Adding more people is relatively easy after that, especially if we can juggle between extra cars, until theres enough for another van. I'd also have to say that depending on how much money they put in to confirm it wouldn't be unfair to say they may not get it (all) back if they pull out at the last minute.

Sooo, with that, any comments?

Last edited by jpwise on 06/06/08, 01:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
jpwise
jpwise
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Zorlich. 06/06/08, 01:53 pm

I vote yes on order 66.. I mean.. JP being treasurer
Zorlich
Zorlich
Chchfag~

Number of posts : 278
Transforms into : Something you really like
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post By Willuknight. 06/06/08, 02:16 pm

how many people are one dayers? there are bus options from $30, or cheaper if you get in early.

$15.00 8:00 am - Websaver
10:20 am - Timaru
2hrs 20mins

As to what you said JP about the deposit, i'd say:
you don't get it back, if you cancel, UNLESS the event is canceled.
Willuknight
Willuknight
LEVEL UP!

Back to top Go down

Post By seraphik. 06/06/08, 02:43 pm

um umm ;;
if i'm not really needed, i can just step out of organizing... after all, yeah, i'm not legally an adult right now, and i don't want to get in anyone's way or anything.
seraphik
seraphik
transient mod of fury

Back to top Go down

Post By Auroa. 06/06/08, 02:50 pm

edit: NO! seraphik.
What are you talking about? ;;
Of course you're needed! D=
Don't you dare step out of this, this was our idea and we're organising this together.
alkdfjad!!!!!!!

~~
We already have our team of 'official' organisers, we've been there since the start.
I would have thought it was clear but maybe not with this thread being so long etc, myself and seraphik were/are like the co-founders, since then we've had jp and Will offer to help out, and I also know a few others that are awesome organisers that I can ask if need be.
So in terms of people organising this we've been set all along.
Although we have discussions outside the forums (like msn) the discussions and plans are here on the forum as well so everyone can have their input and add ideas.

I'm fine with you being treasurer jp, you were such a help regarding the money, for both welly/chch armageddon dinners ^^

Looking at numbers we have around 45 people (thats roughly all up) interested in attending.

There are several that have no idea whether they are coming for one day or both, or even at all.
Its either too early, not enough information (mainly money), or unsure due to getting permission.

We might have to do a first come first serve for vans in chch, if we get 12 seater ones... and all 30+ people want to attend and need a ride... ...
Also, a problem if the driver has to be 21 then that counts Riven out of driving those that want to go home on Saturday.
Auroa
Auroa

Back to top Go down

Post By seraphik. 06/06/08, 03:35 pm

well, we already have official organizers, don't we? (SCP mods usergroup?) originally it was just ange and i, but jp has worked super-hard with all those calculations and info etc. so i'd say that he's probably one now too.
there can start getting too many putting input in though, idk alskdj
seraphik
seraphik
transient mod of fury

Back to top Go down

Post By Willuknight. 06/06/08, 03:55 pm

yay then ^_^. Based just on this massive thread, its a bit difficult to figure out things from 15 pages.

someone mentioned a letter for parents, we probably need to put stuff in like a final cost ($50 judging from what jp said), food costs (i can help organize the food side if things if you want), who the chaperones are, general overview and aim of the event, and location and stuff.

Does anyone else want to do this or shall i do a draft?

We also still need to make a booking for the scout hall, how about we just transfer $10 to JP and he can then do that without having to go out of pocket? He can keep a list of whose paid a deposit as well (/me gleefully dumps work on JP's shoulders)
Willuknight
Willuknight
LEVEL UP!

Back to top Go down

Post By seraphik. 06/06/08, 04:02 pm

i think i said a page back or so that i had started writing the letter. \o/
seraphik
seraphik
transient mod of fury

Back to top Go down

Post By Willuknight. 06/06/08, 04:04 pm

yay i dont have to do it Very Happy

*edit i just started a new job recently, so havent been checking the forums much for the last few weeks :\
Willuknight
Willuknight
LEVEL UP!

Back to top Go down

Post By seraphik. 06/06/08, 04:07 pm

haha, of course you don't.
seraphik
seraphik
transient mod of fury

Back to top Go down

Post By Auroa. 06/06/08, 04:09 pm

no one said you had to do anything?
Its really up to myself or seraphik for that kind of thing, we're the founders, the main decisions, responsibilities are down to us, we dont want to dump anything on to anyone.
^^

oh yeah lol yeah I forgot about the usergroup thing hahaha.

I have to check some things before we book the lodge, couldn't ring today but I will tomorrow.
Auroa
Auroa

Back to top Go down

Post By Willuknight. 06/06/08, 04:12 pm

i know i just want to help out with stuff cos this seems like it will be really awesome :)
Willuknight
Willuknight
LEVEL UP!

Back to top Go down

Post By Auroa. 06/06/08, 04:13 pm

no worries ^^

yeah it will be.
I'm pretty excited by how many are keen.
Though really I expect probably half of them will end turning up turning up to it.
But no matter the numbers, its gonna be fun regardless.

=D
Auroa
Auroa

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content