Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

[CNZcon] ~HUGE~ NZ Cosplay Weekend Event

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic View next topic Go down

Would you travel for a Cosplay Weekend Get-Together?
YES! I’m going, I’m so going.
[CNZcon] ~HUGE~ NZ Cosplay Weekend Event - Page 5 Vote_lcap33%[CNZcon] ~HUGE~ NZ Cosplay Weekend Event - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 33% [ 35 ]
No...
[CNZcon] ~HUGE~ NZ Cosplay Weekend Event - Page 5 Vote_lcap1%[CNZcon] ~HUGE~ NZ Cosplay Weekend Event - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 1% [ 1 ]
I'd have to get permission but I would want to.
[CNZcon] ~HUGE~ NZ Cosplay Weekend Event - Page 5 Vote_lcap58%[CNZcon] ~HUGE~ NZ Cosplay Weekend Event - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 58% [ 62 ]
I would come for the two days but find my own place to stay
[CNZcon] ~HUGE~ NZ Cosplay Weekend Event - Page 5 Vote_lcap4%[CNZcon] ~HUGE~ NZ Cosplay Weekend Event - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 4% [ 4 ]
Not the first time, but the second time around if it was successful.
[CNZcon] ~HUGE~ NZ Cosplay Weekend Event - Page 5 Vote_lcap4%[CNZcon] ~HUGE~ NZ Cosplay Weekend Event - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 4% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 106

MessageAuthor
Re: [CNZcon] ~HUGE~ NZ Cosplay Weekend Event
Post By Suixelo. 28/05/08, 02:51 pm

If you're happy with that, go for it.
I'm being depressive today, sorry guys, ignore me. Feel free to hit me over the head with dead fish or something.
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3569
Registration date : 2008-03-25

[CNZcon] ~HUGE~ NZ Cosplay Weekend Event - Page 5 Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Duckeh. 28/05/08, 02:57 pm

Suixelo wrote:
If you're happy with that, go for it.
I'm being depressive today, sorry guys, ignore me. Feel free to hit me over the head with dead fish or something.
+humps your leg instead+
Feel better, mmkay? <333
Duckeh
Duckeh
GOD of all things EPIC

Number of posts : 6842
Transforms into : YO BUTT.
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down
http://www.duckeh.com

Post By kyokyogirl. 28/05/08, 03:01 pm

Sure we won't have a con like the Americans do, but a ton of cosplayers in one place, having fun, making friends and spreading the cosplay love? That's what its all about.
kyokyogirl
kyokyogirl
fuzzeh duckling~

Number of posts : 1097
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post By Suixelo. 28/05/08, 03:03 pm

... That comment does not does does not go well with your avatar XD

Oh I will, don't worry. Just been talking to some friends back home and I'm a bit homesick. I'll get over it.

Oi you gonna be in town on Sunday? *pokes*
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Duckeh. 28/05/08, 03:05 pm

Suixelo wrote:
... That comment does not does does not go well with your avatar XD

Oh I will, don't worry. Just been talking to some friends back home and I'm a bit homesick. I'll get over it.

Oi you gonna be in town on Sunday? *pokes*
Ahhhhh~ Not actually sure as my friend might be taking me to her bache~ But I don't think I'll go~ SO PROBABLY~ Does it matter if i'm not in cosplay though? Dx
Duckeh
Duckeh
GOD of all things EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By JVCA. 28/05/08, 03:07 pm

@Suixelo: {Hugs} It'll be ok. :3

I agree in that trying to go straight to WOO! NEW CON! FOR COSPLAY! WOO! would be stupid, though it'd be neat if the event escalated to that over the years. To start out with though, a group place to stay, games, friends, and fun would be all I'd need. :3

That and maybe cheap plane tickets. XP (But I'd pay what I had to to get there, heh)
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Number of posts : 7122
Transforms into : a crotchety old woman
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down
http://www.jvca.net.nz

Post By Suixelo. 28/05/08, 03:08 pm

Quote :
Sure we won't have a con like the Americans do, but a ton of cosplayers in one place, having fun, making friends and spreading the cosplay love? That's what its all about.

True, that's what cosplay is about, but cosplay is only a small part of a con. Ignore me, it's for the best. I always come across more aggressive on the internet and I don't mean to be ^^

Duckeh - Nah just come in something pink if you can. Preferably with a flower or two. Tada street Marluxia! XD
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Duckeh. 28/05/08, 03:09 pm

Suixelo wrote:
Quote :

True, that's what cosplay is about, but cosplay is only a small part of a con. Ignore me, it's for the best. I always come across more aggressive on the internet and I don't mean to be ^^

Duckeh - Nah just come in something pink if you can. Preferably with a flower or two. Tada street Marluxia! XD
I do have a short pink wig.... O:
HO SHIII~
Haha~
Ummm BUT OKAY.
I MAY WEAR.
I DUNNO~
Heh!
Duckeh
Duckeh
GOD of all things EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By Suixelo. 28/05/08, 03:13 pm

Quote :
@Suixelo: {Hugs} It'll be ok. :3
Thanks<3
I'm so lame >>

This is how it all starts, I guess in a few years time this event could become big enough to be able to book somewhere and have con-type events, just without the big names. tbh some American events are getting too big for their damn boots, aka LineCons. Anime Boston and Acen both had wait times of over 8 hours just to get into the con. Yeah, Acen's was a computer hacker problem, but still.

Quote :
I do have a short pink wig.... O:
LOL wear it if you want. I don't mind, it'd be quite funny though. What sort of style is it?
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By JVCA. 28/05/08, 03:36 pm

Suixelo wrote:
tbh some American events are getting too big for their damn boots, aka LineCons. Anime Boston and Acen both had wait times of over 8 hours just to get into the con.

WTF!? No wonder people don't shower at these things: leaving the con to go shower and come back taking one hour is fine (transport+showertime), but that hour PLUS 8 HOURS TO GET BACK IN!? Wow, that's freakin' crazy! o_o;;;;

You're more than welcome, by the way. :) There's nothing lame about it - we all have our bad days, and it's perfectly reasonable to feel a little down when things aren't looking so great. n_n
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Back to top Go down

Post By Suixelo. 28/05/08, 03:49 pm

Nah, that was for registration. You don't simply pay and walk in to an American con, no. You line up for pre-reg, then you line up for reg. Then you line up to get in. My friends all shower, and most people actually do. Theres just so many people there there'll always be a group who don't -_-;;

True. The way I deal with it hasn't changed much since we first came, though. Which makes me lame in my books haha.
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 29/05/08, 01:11 am

You know what? I'm GLAD we dont have cons that are big enough to require an 8 hour wait just to get in the door! How would you ever met/find anyone? Getting a ticket for 'Geddon can be a long enough wait sometimes and that's usually only just on opening time. I'm never organised enough to get there on opening time, so it's never as issue to me :-D

Back to top Go down

Post By Suixelo. 29/05/08, 01:23 am

I was saying I was glad too haha. It normally shouldn't take that long to get in, that's why they nicknamed them LineCon. I don't think it would be any harder there to find people though, because you're in one place for so long haha!
But thinking of numbers - 14,000 in welly is a heck of a lot of people for what Geddon offers. Which is why I started this whole thing by saying we need a better con, the last couple of years at Geddon I've gotten bored really early... But in saying that, I didn't cosplay and I didn't know you guys =D
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By neimhaille. 29/05/08, 04:54 pm

Why not think away fom Anime and Sci-fi cons and look at Costume College and Costume Con as the format. They are more like what you are proposing and the scale of people attending would be pretty close to what you would expect here in NZ. You can then run streams of activities that will appeal to a large number of people.

By appealing to the wider costuming society in NZ with a few social gatherings, lots of classes and a selection of competitions more people will be likely to come for at least part of the weekend. There would still be room to get in some anime specific events.

By the way the time limit will never get lower at 'Geddon- they are also perfectly in line with conventions overseas which attract large numbers of entrants. Not bad given we share one stage with all the guests talks and other events. Overseas you have several stages to work from;) Another thing to think about when planning a Con is the timetable and room planning. Much easier when it's dedicated to one thing though! How I'd love to have three hours on the main stage for the contest, but the audience would get bored.

I am involved in the planning of two events this year for the SCA so I know a fair bit about the trouble with going Incorporated and costing memberships and event fees.
I would recommend a scout camp as a setting myself. A weekend including food (daily meals and a feast) and bunking will cost no more than $90 this way if you have people able to prepare meals. That's for a minimum of 25 or so people attending though. Break even needs to be much lower than the total numbers of people you will anticipate attending.
neimhaille
neimhaille
Armageddon Cosplay Contest Judge

Number of posts : 661
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 30/05/08, 01:00 am

We understand why the time limit is like it is at 'Geddon, we just wish sometimes it could be longer! :-D

Oh how I wish I had time to attend the SCA club I joined. I'm sure I'd love it. Stupid masters, whats so crash-hot about Chimpanzees anyway?

Back to top Go down

Post By Duckeh. 02/06/08, 10:38 am

n__n
Your posts are always so long neimhaille. xD <3

But yeah, I do see what your saying~

Mmm~ Scout camps are sounding pretty good~ South Island Cosplay picnic are using one && I think someone would've eventually suggested it~
Heh!
I think sloooow~ Connections take a little while to arise~ xD

Ah... umum, SCA?
>.<'
I fail.
Duckeh
Duckeh
GOD of all things EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By JVCA. 02/06/08, 11:44 am

I can't remember what it stands for, but if I'm not mistaken, it's like historical re-enacting/costuming.
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 02/06/08, 12:49 pm

Society for(of?) Creative Anachronism. Use the words "historical re-enacting" with care though - it means many different things to many different people. And some of them carry swords and so they automatically win any arguement :-D

Back to top Go down

Post By Tamoo. 02/06/08, 01:02 pm

Hurrrrr. I'll just go with small cosplay picnics at the moment o3o
Tamoo
Tamoo
Supermod

Number of posts : 4525

Back to top Go down

Post By JVCA. 02/06/08, 01:12 pm

XD Well, when I say historical re-enacting, I mean basically cosplay, but period costuming instead. X3
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Back to top Go down

Post By jpwise. 02/06/08, 01:46 pm

For anyone that was at the Christchurch Geddon the SCA were the ones that had guys walking around in armour and stuff, and the stall with people dressed in medieval type clothing. Razz
jpwise
jpwise
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down
http://gallery.of.geek.nz

Post By Guest. 02/06/08, 01:59 pm

JVCA wrote:
XD Well, when I say historical re-enacting, I mean basically cosplay, but period costuming instead. X3

Well... I know a bunch of people who do historical re-enactment and they would very offended by that Very Happy. And some of them are the afore-mentioned guys with swords *hides*. On the other hand, I know some for whom that description would probably be quite appropriate.

Back to top Go down

Post By JVCA. 02/06/08, 02:50 pm

Meh. They can't sword me over teh internets. >=D

Joking aside, that's at least what people generally see it as. What do they see it as? (I'm actually doing a documentary on roleplaying/re-enacting/whatever name you'd like to call it by, so this'd be handy to know, lol)
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 02/06/08, 03:39 pm

Here is the website for the NZ/Aus/Antarctic branch: http://www.sca.org.au/lochac/

It's not just the costuming/dressing up, there's building old things and participating in tournaments following what they hope are legitimate rules from the period and this whole pseudo-social structure thing is involved as well which I dont understand very well. My university club has a Arts & Sciences evening every week which I am yet to attend, fighting practice as well. They have big events (feasts) and it's a lot more... immersive. Some know actual sword fighting and actual weaving and things. One of my mates built an actual forge in his back yard to do some actual metalworking. Not sure how well he went, but he built it.

I'd love to get more into it, but I just dont have the time with Masters. *sigh* That was the joy of working full time - plenty of spare time in the weekends.

Also roleplaying =/= re-enactment. Mucho overlap in clientele at times, but very different games.

Back to top Go down

Post By Duckeh. 03/06/08, 04:37 am

:]
Sounds really interesting!!!
hmmm~
+Reads more on website+
Duckeh
Duckeh
GOD of all things EPIC