Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Special Children's Christmas Parties, nation wide- Do Good Deeds ;)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Re: Special Children's Christmas Parties, nation wide- Do Good Deeds ;)
Post By brunetteyes. 04/01/12, 02:41 am

^ I use to watch that every week it was my favourite!

I'll definitely do this next year. (I mean this year) No other plans will get in my way this time ^^
brunetteyes
brunetteyes
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2009-09-22

Special Children's Christmas Parties, nation wide- Do Good Deeds ;) - Page 3 Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By arjaytistic. 27/01/12, 09:48 am

I forgot to write here, we were on TV for a while (for like 2 seconds) in an ad SCCPNZ did to thank its sponsors - it was mostly only on channel one during the daytime

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150702816984848&set=a.10150702815954848.496659.700959847&type=1

-- rj xx
arjaytistic
arjaytistic
seXAH <3

Number of posts : 86
Transforms into : Uber Bitch
Registration date : 2010-10-25

Special Children's Christmas Parties, nation wide- Do Good Deeds ;) - Page 3 Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By TinTango. 28/01/12, 01:34 pm

^That's awesome! World famous in NZ.
TinTango
TinTango
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1278
Transforms into : whelmed. Not over or under. Just whelmed.
Registration date : 2008-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post By fleyer. 29/05/12, 08:30 pm

Hey I'm just wondering if you're planning this again for this year? I'd love to try and get to the Auckland one again but if not Welly would be cool. =p

Well by planning I mean getting a bunch of us into it again.
fleyer
fleyer
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2354
Transforms into : Supernanny...
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down
http://fleyer.deviantart.com/

Post By neimhaille. 30/05/12, 01:50 pm

Yes! :) in fact I have a Cinderella costume in pieces to use if the theme for fairytales continues :)

I think there is one soonish for one of the ities so I'll get looking at the site again :)
neimhaille
neimhaille
Armageddon Cosplay Contest Judge

Number of posts : 661
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post By neimhaille. 31/10/12, 12:43 pm

I just got this email from Mark:

Quote :
Hey there Michaela, hope all is well with you!

This years date is Sat Dec 8th and we would love to have you and friends along again of you can make it ?

Many thanks

Mark Wikstrom

24 November, 2012 Sat Christchurch: CBS Canterbury Arena, Addington Christchurch

01 December, 2012 Sat Hamilton: Mystery Creek Events Centre

08 December, 2012 Sat Auckland: Showgrounds, Greenlane Auckland

15 December, 2012 Sat Wellington: Te Rauparaha Arena, Porirua Wellington

So it's all go again :) Anyone interested please let me know :) I also have a Conderella gown if anyone is sans costume but would like to be involved :) It's about a 12 and for abotu average height (5'6") I can let it in or out a little once the zip goes in :)

I'll probably be in a Star Wars costume for this event :)
neimhaille
neimhaille

Back to top Go down

Post By Fettman. 31/10/12, 01:24 pm

I'll be doing the Wellington one. I've already done New Plymouth and Napier so far this year and they are always a great day, putting smiles on the faces of kids, young and old Very Happy
Fettman
Fettman
Unexplanatory

Number of posts : 33
Transforms into : Bad ass, bounty hunter extraordinaire.
Registration date : 2012-10-25

Back to top Go down
http://www.sweetasprops.blogspot.com

Post By TinTango. 01/11/12, 01:24 pm

Put me down for Auckland! I'm going to modify my comp costume, and go as the Incredible Hulk!
TinTango
TinTango
LEVEL UP!

Back to top Go down

Post By brunetteyes. 02/11/12, 02:06 am

^ Awesome Tim!

I want to go too!

Maybe in my comp costume, or Princess Jasmine depending on the weather Razz I'll get Chris to come with me too ^^
brunetteyes
brunetteyes
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By seraphik. 02/11/12, 05:47 am

ahhh i really wish there was one in dunedin!
seraphik
seraphik
transient mod of fury

Number of posts : 4598
Transforms into : a post-graduate
Registration date : 2007-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post By EternalOutsider. 02/11/12, 05:20 pm

This kinda sounds like fun. The few small kids at Geddon seemed to really dig Kaz.

If there is some sort of break room that would be ideal?
Something i was mindful at Geddon was not taking my head off with little kids around. I've been told it can freak them out.
EternalOutsider
EternalOutsider
Tophat

Number of posts : 146
Transforms into : David Xanatos
Registration date : 2012-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post By Highlander. 03/11/12, 03:32 am

I have started this thread for Christchurch people.

https://cosplaynewzealand.forumotion.com/t12262-special-children-s-christmas-party-christchurch#465396
Highlander
Highlander
dark CHii

Number of posts : 4033
Transforms into : This stylish saffron shirt.
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Back to top Go down
http://skydrive.live.com/#cid=23D41AFD1F51E1F4

Post By TinTango. 05/11/12, 09:39 am

Actually, I think I'll go as the Beast from Beauty and the Beast, as I'm looking for some good photos of this outfit. It will also fit in well with a Fairy Tale/Disney theme.

@EternalOutsider- there is a break room upstairs for the sponsors/organizers which they allowed us to use last year. It should be good for taking your head off. How are you with children? Some of whom suffer from chronic illnesses?

@Brunetteyes- that would be cool! Would love to hang out with you and Chris some more. :)

@Highlander- hope you get a good group for Christchurch!

@Fleyer- hope you can join us in Auckland!
TinTango
TinTango
LEVEL UP!

Back to top Go down

Post By EternalOutsider. 05/11/12, 09:52 am

TinTango wrote:
@EternalOutsider- there is a break room upstairs for the sponsors/organizers which they allowed us to use last year. It should be good for taking your head off. How are you with children? Some of whom suffer from chronic illnesses?

Not sure how to answer that. There aren't many kids (young or older) in my extended family.

The odd time ive been asked to look after them I've been told i did a good job. I have no idea about being surrounded by gangs of them.

Good questions to ask.
EternalOutsider
EternalOutsider
Tophat

Back to top Go down

Post By TinTango. 05/11/12, 12:00 pm

Just a few points I wanted to mention

From last year's experience it's always good to have a few prepared things to say to Children, when they approach you, or if you approach them. Also, it can be pretty startling when you see the children with no hair from chemotherapy for cancer, or the ones in wheelchairs, or Nasogastric tubes hanging from their noses. So having some prepared backups are great.

When I dressed up as Shrek, I would randomly walk up and down the hall calling "Donkeyyyy" and going up to Children (those who reccognized my character) asking "Have you seen my Donkey?" "Oh he's such a naughty Donkey... but you must be very Special! Because you're here for the Christmas Party" etc all in a scottish accent, in keeping with my character.

Then there's the generic
"Are you going to see Santa today? What toys do you think Santa will give you?"
"Have you seen.... [insert other characters being cosplayed]"
"I like your [dress/t-shirt/other clothing item] it's got [colours/batman/superman], that's very [cool/scary etc.]"

Sometimes children would be scared, and cry, but you've got to learn to deal with that too, and let them be, particularly if they're tired/cranky.
"Oh I'm sorry... I'm really a Friendly ogre. I don't mean to be scary."

What's more difficult, particularly when you're wearing a mask that limits your talking, is that your communication has to be physical/non-verbal
So you have to think of a few poses that make your feelings show- a lot of happy dancing, putting your hand up to your mouth or holding your belly when you're laughing, pointing at interesting things etc. So it can be a lot harder, more tiring than just talking.

Same with your interactions, give children high fives (those that are not scared), thumbs up, or the really brave ones who come up to you for hugs, just be mindful of any bodypaint/hazards of your costume e.g. your mask/props falling off.

All just suggestions and ideas to think about.
But ofcourse, the important thing is to have fun, and look like you're enjoying what you're doing. The whole experience last year felt awesome, and was really rewarding!
TinTango
TinTango
LEVEL UP!

Back to top Go down

Post By EternalOutsider. 05/11/12, 07:15 pm

^Some good points there.

Talking is pretty much out of the question. I have to basically shout in Kaz for anybody to hear me right up close, let alone a meter+ away. At geddon i just pantomimed, it was more fun anyway Razz
I did have a couple of kids rush up to me for hi-5's. That was very cute.

If there's a way i could be partnered with someone that would be best. I have little peripheral vision so its real easy for people to sneak up on me. I wouldn't want to trip up on someone.

As for sick kids, i think i would be OK.
Mum is a nurse so i have had to endure watching many medical programs at the dinner table for years.
Also the grandparents have been in and out of hospital for a while, so im no stranger to that.

Kaz is pretty resilient, being mostly off the shelf cloths. If anything i have to worry about getting stains on me (keep away you zombies at geddon).
EternalOutsider
EternalOutsider
Tophat

Back to top Go down

Post By fleyer. 05/11/12, 07:34 pm

Well looky here I'll be in Auckland for this not that I planned around this I'll be attempting to make Belle to match Tim's beast but we shall see how time goes otherwise I'll hopefully have made Tink for the chch one!

Adding on to Tim's awesome list which is quite accurate,
There is food in the second hall area and while the parents are pretty good little kids are little kids and sticky hands aren't unlikely so just be prepared you may get food on you or slightly sticky (unlikely but still).

Haha also if anyone else is looking at this thread but lacking a costume I have an Aurora costume fitting in with the Disney theme that can probably fit a size 6-8 and might be possible to let out!
fleyer
fleyer
Sushi ;O

Back to top Go down

Post By brunetteyes. 07/11/12, 12:18 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Very informative.

Sounds like Princess Jasmine would be more appropriate then.
brunetteyes
brunetteyes
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By Highlander. 08/11/12, 08:42 am

We have ten cosplayers and one photographer going to Christchurch so far.

https://www.facebook.com/events/493134440718398/?fref=ts

https://cosplaynewzealand.forumotion.com/t12262-special-children-s-christmas-party-christchurch
Highlander
Highlander
dark CHii

Number of posts : 4033
Transforms into : This stylish saffron shirt.
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Back to top Go down
http://skydrive.live.com/#cid=23D41AFD1F51E1F4

Post By neimhaille. 10/11/12, 03:22 am

Highlander, you need to contact me asap as you have been doing this without asking me first and you have a list of people attending who have not provided names nor have you indicated under what name you are organising this and with whom.

Marc knows me from doing this regularly from 2007, and I'd like to keep that relationship positive.

Please note this title was always about all the parties hense why it has "nationwide" in there.

Huge thanks to Tim for all his advice, it's very good :)

I did see you in person in your Kaz and I would be hesitant about it being okay in the main hall- from experience you need to be able to check your feet constantly as there are prams and wheelies galore. It's packed.
That said if you have a minder and stay out in the foyer, sort of near the side, you can greet the kids as they come in :) There is lots of light, and you are not so likely to be in a pathway :)
And then there is the corridor to disappear down to remove the head piece as needed

Fairytales are love! Parents and kids like them. :)

Might have to do a sound off:

Add you name to the lists so I can email Mark :)

Auckland:
Michaela (Neimhaille)

Hamilton:

[b]Wellington:

Christchurch:

Names are important as this is a *CLOSED EVENT* We are being invited and Mark needs to make sure no one is getting in who shouldn't be there.
neimhaille
neimhaille

Back to top Go down

Post By TinTango. 10/11/12, 07:17 am

Auckland
Tim (TinTango) dressed as The Beast (Ball version)

thanks for organizing Michaela! :)

TinTango
TinTango
LEVEL UP!

Back to top Go down

Post By commandercandyfloss. 10/11/12, 07:36 am

Auckland here Very Happy
Saf (commandercandyfloss) dressed as Supergirl

uwu I am very excited for this, you're awesome Michaela
commandercandyfloss
commandercandyfloss
banana in pajamas ;O

Number of posts : 879
Transforms into : a candyfloss princess
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post By Number-IX. 10/11/12, 09:04 am

Hey neimhaille, I missed out on attending last year's party and really wanted to help out this year, but I'm afraid I might be in Wellington during the Auckland party and possibly back in Auckland for the Wellington party :/ When is the latest for costumers to confirm attendance?

I'd like to go as Raven from Teen Titans but if I'm in Auckland could I possibly wear your Aurora, Annie? :) Princessy is better~
Number-IX
Number-IX
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 593
Transforms into : Skuxatron
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/cthrnineiv

Post By brunetteyes. 10/11/12, 09:48 am

Auckland
Sophia (brunetteyes) dressed as Disney Princess Jasmine
brunetteyes
brunetteyes
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By fleyer. 10/11/12, 10:34 am

I'll be up for the Auckland one! Rhiannon (fleyer) as Belle.

And if possibly the Christchurch one if that's cool! As Tinkerbell.
fleyer
fleyer
Sushi ;O

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Special Children's Christmas Parties, nation wide- Do Good Deeds ;)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosplay New Zealand :: Events :: Other NZ Events-