Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Height

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Height
Post By Jaykob. 01/10/10, 04:16 am

When it comes to doing a cosplay do you think height is an isusse?
Do you think being to small or to tall can make the cosplay look bad? or is height just one of them thing that doesn't matter.

I'm wanting to do a cosplay but I feel like I wouldn't be tall enough.
Do you thing I should just do the cosplay?
Wait till I'm taller?
Or just not do the cosplay at all?
Jaykob
Jaykob
Banana

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2009-06-17

Height Vide
Back to top Go down
http://tobi-usamaki.deviantart.com

Re: Height
Post By Cactiberry. 01/10/10, 04:18 am

I don't think it's an issue, really xD It might be a problem if you're in a group and your character is supposed to be the tallest/shortest or something, but really, it's up to you. I don't think anyone would be all "OMG HE/SHE'S _3CM_ TALLER THEN THE CHARACTER! I'M GOING TO HATE THEM FOR RUINING THAT CHARACTER FOR ME OMFG !!1!!one!"
Cactiberry
Cactiberry
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2283
Transforms into : sharpedo
Registration date : 2009-06-20

Height Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 01/10/10, 04:19 am

I think it's more like, I'm 156cm, and I'm not going to cosplay a 180cm man because I think I'd just ruin the character OTL

Height Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By azeria. 01/10/10, 04:40 am

To me height isn't an issue.
If you want to be taller you can always try and find platforms.

Basically just cosplay whoever you want~
That's what I do lol.
azeria
azeria
ACB Queen '10

Number of posts : 3226
Transforms into : Rinatron
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Height Vide
Back to top Go down
http://azeriacosplay.tumblr.com/

Post By Regal. 01/10/10, 04:59 am

If the height IS important, then you can make or buy something that will substitute for the lack of height or cosplay with someone else who is taller than you.
This is only a suggestion and I HIGHLY advise you do not use it. Ninja Disappear
Regal
Regal
Ultimatum

Number of posts : 214
Transforms into : Audience Legionnaire
Registration date : 2010-04-05

Height Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Tails. 01/10/10, 05:45 am

If your cosplay is super awesome, most people won't notice if you're the wrong height Very Happy And in photos, you can always make yourself taller/shorter depending on the angle you take the photo from. I do this quite a bit in photos to make myself taller, and at Armageddon there'll always be someone that says, "Wow, you're way shorter than you look in photos!" XD But oh well.

Anyway, some fans don't know how tall characters are anyway. When I was Tifa, a guy came up to me saying I was too short. And I like "ACTUALLY Tifa is exactly 5"4, which is MY exact height as well!" He looked quite bummed out after that. That's what you get for saying something is wrong with my costume! XD
Tails
Tails
L

Number of posts : 3004
Transforms into : a Vulpix
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Height Vide
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/TailsCosplay

Post By Guest. 01/10/10, 07:40 am

Anyone who stops you in the street to tell you that your costume WOULD be awesome except for the fact that you're a foot too short.... is a person whose opinion you can safely ignore. No, I'm not a 6 foot man. You know what? I'm not a vampire either, and I have an Alucard costume kicking about somewhere.

Height Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Rikku. 01/10/10, 08:01 am

I want to cosplay Sephiroth some day, but I'm afraid that my short height would butcher it. Same problem as other people who are worried about height.

I say we should GO FOR IT!!!! And snob anybody who grumps at us for being too tall/short. >D
Rikku
Rikku
marshmallow ninja

Number of posts : 937
Transforms into : Sephiroth! <3
Registration date : 2010-03-29

Height Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Aikome. 01/10/10, 08:03 am

I don't think it matters and I wouldn't even notice unless it was a group cosplay ^~^; besides it's the costuming that matters and that's what impresses, not height.

Although, TBH I don't get why people complain when they are shorter than the character they desire to cosplay, because there are ways to look/be taller (platforms and shoe stuffing ahooooy~). Even the posing or positioning when taking photographs. It's if you're taller than required that's the problem, 'cause it's not like you can chop off a few inches of your height.

/shrug/ I say go for it, shouldn't let that stop you.
Aikome
Aikome
TEH WIZARD OF OZ.

Number of posts : 1564
Transforms into : TROLL :3
Registration date : 2009-04-03

Height Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Li-Bai. 01/10/10, 08:19 am

I think we had a topic like this before...

The answer: naaww. It doesn't really matter unless you make it matter. If it does matter, modify the costume so that it makes you look taller, ya know? This doesn't necessarily mean making Tengu Geta though ahahaha.

Case in point: the majority of my cosplays are like 5'9" (180cm) men or something and I'm a mere 4'7.5" (144cm), haha. :B
Li-Bai
Li-Bai
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2251
Transforms into : a lover and a renegade fighter.
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Height Vide
Back to top Go down
http://li-bai.deviantart.com

Post By Mischa. 01/10/10, 08:23 am

The camera lies and distorts and it's wonderful! - If you are shot from above you look wee, and if you are shot from below you look statuesque.

Height really isn't something I consider to be an issue.
Mischa
Mischa
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1045
Transforms into : GRIMDARK
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Height Vide
Back to top Go down
http://www.doublestitch.co.nz

Post By Squishy blob. 01/10/10, 01:09 pm

Height can be manipulated... platforms/a shorter partner if you're too short, longer wigs if you're tall?

But like people have said, angles/posing can work too. And if the only complaint people have about with your costume is your height, then that's pretty sad for them.
Squishy blob
Squishy blob
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1228
Transforms into : pancakes at 5am
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Height Vide
Back to top Go down
http://squishyblob.tumblr.com

Post By Guest. 01/10/10, 03:01 pm

Mischa wrote:
The camera lies and distorts and it's wonderful! - If you are shot from above you look wee, and if you are shot from below you look statuesque.

Yeah was thinking about this. You can use the camera angle to make yourself look taller or shorter in the photo. I've been lurking on the Cosplay. Com forums, and people don't mind your height in the cosplay, because people are going to be hyping over you cosplaying as a favourite character, than the height. People are going to be more 'oh my gosh, he/she's cosplaying as Ichigo ! SQUEE ! ", than " That person is too short, to cosplay as that character, he has spoiled the manga forevers " kinda thing. x3

..Err that's the main attitude on Cosplay. Com anyways, though if they don't mind about height worldwide, I don't think it's going to be any different in New Zealand.

Height Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By demon-girl. 01/10/10, 05:27 pm

just like if a 180cm person cosplayed edward elric (seen this before) I thought everyone loved him even more for stepping out and cosplaying the character that is known to being short.
- But for me somehow I usually cosplay characters around my height anyways guess im just luckily and I'll never cosplay Reborn so yeah XD
demon-girl
demon-girl
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 534
Transforms into : ......
Registration date : 2009-10-31

Height Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Pyro. 01/10/10, 06:49 pm

I think height isn't something to worry about if your character is average height, but if they're either meant to be extremely tall or short, then I'd be worrying.

See, I'm 178cm tall, which is way taller than about 99% of female characters ever, so I never cosplay girls-- Caterina's a rare exception because she's one of that tiny percentage who're meant to be above-average height. I cosplay guys otherwise just because it's less awkward that way.

While ideally height wouldn't be a factor, at my size it's like, I would feel awkward cosplaying anyone who's meant to be short. Most people say 'oh, cosplay what you want doesn't matter what you're like physically' but that's just not something I believe in: sure, cosplay what you want, but I would never feel comfortable cosplaying someone short.

It's like, we're all suited to different ends of the height spectrum, why not embrace that? There are some things I'm sad that I'll never get to cosplay, but most of the time if a character's too short for me I get over it.

(haha, I feel kind of awkward saying that since I'm the only person who's like 'AUGH HEIGHT' but seriously, my main pet peeve in cosplay is people cosplaying characters that don't suit their height.)
Pyro
Pyro
Winner of the Infinitely Quotable Award

Number of posts : 3934
Transforms into : Tik-Tok Tibenoch
Registration date : 2007-12-03

Height Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Thornback. 01/10/10, 11:08 pm

Although it was kinda odd having a Fuuka two inches taller than Minato,we got over it.

Thornback
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1317
Transforms into : Sir Robins Minstrels(there was much rejoicing.)
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Height Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Mandie_Chan. 02/10/10, 12:06 am

My first cosplay was Winry (FMA) and my sister did Ed. Well if you've ever seen us you would think we should have done the cosplays round the other way. Ed was a full head taller than Winry. Then we meet an Al (YAY PYRO) who was also a good head taller than me. lol so much for cosplay height consistency.

I think about the height issue (for example I'm cosplaying a hobbit) and I know that I am to tall or short but honestly I cosplay the character because I want to cosplay them. Yes people may get annoyed that I'm one of the tallest hobbits they have ever seen (as an example) but hey, so long as I do a good job on the cosplay I don't mind what others think/say.

Last auckgeddon I cosplay one of the Ouran high twins. Both of us were different sizes and heights yet it didn't stop people loving the fact that both twins were there. Yes some may have been slightly annoyed about the different height/body type thing but in the end no one said anything so it must not have been that big of a deal.
Maybe it take a true otaku to notice? Though as Tails pointed out sometimes they don't even know the right height lol.

Um yes~
in conclusion, height matters depending on who you are, but not so much to me ^_^
Mandie_Chan
Mandie_Chan
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 6753
Transforms into : Epic Baker of DOOOOM
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Height Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Height Vide