Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

[WCB09] WELLINGTON COSPLAY BALL!! Discussion Thread

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next
View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Re: [WCB09] WELLINGTON COSPLAY BALL!! Discussion Thread
Post By jpwise. 21/05/08, 12:58 pm

*drat* no alcohol, there goes another perfectly good opportunity to corrupt the youth of today. oh, well, there's always next time. :) :pirat:
jpwise
jpwise
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2008-01-31

[WCB09] WELLINGTON COSPLAY BALL!! Discussion Thread - Page 2 Vide
Back to top Go down
http://gallery.of.geek.nz

Post By JVCA. 21/05/08, 12:59 pm

Even though I agree with the no alchohol thing (Especially if it's in a school hall!), just a random bit of info~ It's actually legal to serve alcohol to minors with a permission slip (LOL), as long as you don't SELL it. So, you can include the cost in the ticket price, but you can't actually sell it to them. o_O
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Number of posts : 7122
Transforms into : a crotchety old woman
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down
http://www.jvca.net.nz

Post By jpwise. 21/05/08, 01:09 pm

haha, opportunities for corruption return! :)

Any idea if you still need a bar license (ie: bar manager personal license people serving alcohol have to have), I know the private function rules are certainly different from mainstream anyway, but yeah..

That aside yeah, no alcohol is easier to manage.
jpwise
jpwise
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 21/05/08, 01:12 pm

Really? But that guy got done for it! He was selling tickets to a private party and serving alcohol there (put not charging for it) and he got done for all sorts of things. And I thought the parents or spouse of the underage people had to be there. Or something. Eh. Who can understand the legal system?

I know lots of places get around liquor laws with a chitty system. You buy the chitties (usually laminated bits of paper) for money. You then give the chitties to the guy behind the bar and he gives you alcohol. So you havn't brought alcohol from him.

a, c and d all still apply though. :-D

EDIT: Also, we're going to have to put "Masquerade" from phantom on the playlist. I wont enforce the choreographed dance, but if someone wants to appear at the top of the stage in a red Death outfit....

Last edited by u_ne_korn on 21/05/08, 01:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I'm listing to Andrew Lloyd Weber)

Back to top Go down

Post By panini. 21/05/08, 01:28 pm

No particular order:

jpwise wrote:
haha, opportunities for corruption return! :)

Any idea if you still need a bar license (ie: bar manager personal license people serving alcohol have to have), I know the private function rules are certainly different from mainstream anyway, but yeah..

That aside yeah, no alcohol is easier to manage.
We've done some research into this for the International Ball last year at my old college, and you need a private liquor licence, which is reasonably expensive. and to be eligable to get one, I think we had to prove that we were going to have security there, and prove somehow that we wouldn't sell to minors. and then pay for one >__> so it becomes difficult and costly. not really worth it I don't think.

HOWEVER: after-parties(lol) aren't included in this. What happens at after-parties is nobodies business
u_ne_korn wrote:
For the out-of-towners, I was thinking we could arrange billets. My flat is teeny tiny but I'm sure we could squish a few in.
I have a house worth of spare rooms/beds/lounge with sleeping area for out of towners, and it shouldn't take too much coaxing to get dad to let me. People will just have to tell me.
u_ne_korn wrote:
I know for a fact that flier drops got us some new people for the picnic, so flier be good. Also, the network of people is pretty close-knit down here. Weekend at the end of school holidays we managed a 20-30 person meetup on 0 advertising, with about 1 months organisation and no heavy duty spamming on any forum.
1 months organisation? hardly.. It was a "post on dA/forum/LJ/more dA" and see who turns up event. and that produced 31 people. (not incuding you and shane though)

u_ne_korn wrote:
I myself would come down hard on no alcohol, because:

a) would be a big help for convincing paranoid parents about it (naming no names).
b) legal issues galore dissappear.
c) no-one has the headache of regulating it.
d) I expect that the majority of people attending will be under 21, who are most likely to not be able to handle it sensibly. We don't want drunk teenagers getting a bad case of the walkies and losing them.
e) juice is cheaper!

I really don't see an issue with holding it a school hall. Temperature can be addressed - open the doors or snag a few space heaters. And a gritty floor - well, thats kinda gross, but we could give it a clean :-D. The school webpage is broken though, so I still don't know what it looks like.

We don't want anywhere too big, because it really ruins the lighting, sounds and the mood. Anywhere can be dressed up to look nice, and in my experience the location is not as important as a bunch of other things including: organisation, how well the inside is done, and last, and probably most importantly, the company!

But I'm not in charge. What do other people think?
I say a school hall will be the best idea so far. Given that we don't have 239429379327432.2 people coming, there's no need to get a giant area. cause people will either all stick in one corner (lolemo) or end up running off in all directions causing mayhem.

A few things we'll need to think about:

1) Will there be a dinner provided? If so, how?
2)do we want to plan events/have competitions? (dancing ftw!)
and a few other things that have flown out of my mind with the fairies
panini
panini
Zenbu

Number of posts : 61
Transforms into : flying shoe
Registration date : 2008-04-29

Back to top Go down
http://panpanini.deviantart.com

Post By Pura. 21/05/08, 01:57 pm

The WGC school hall is a pretty good size. The dances that the school have can hold lots of people (though of course our ball won't be SO BLOODY LOUD >__>).

The last weekend in November is the weekend before my birthday weekend xD.

And I don't want to pay $50 -__-
People should know of me and my/my family's money issues ...
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post By panini. 21/05/08, 02:25 pm

we're saying $50 as a maximum, not a definate
panini
panini
Zenbu

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 21/05/08, 02:29 pm

I think that the discussion of price should wait until we have a clearer idea of what people want. F'instance, dinner will jack the price up, but I could do munchies for 100 pretty cheap (yay Moore Wilsons!) and I assume there is a kitchen at the school that could be comandeered.

Likewise, WGC would be cheaper than something like a bar in town or a big event center, and we could then spend the money on decorations or other things we value more. And since we already have an in, they might give it to us uber-cheap. Although I wouldn't say we should rule out other locations. Like I say, we need to figure out what we actually want.

Also the more people we get to come, the cheaper also: everyone pays a smaller fraction of the hireage and decorations.

End of November would make three birthdays then... :-D

Can you all nag people - devart, lj etc who might like to come to and offer some opinions? We currently only have a very small fraction of the possible attendees commenting and if we dont get more interest we can't possibly run anything.

Back to top Go down

Post By Pura. 21/05/08, 02:38 pm

I'll make a DA journal when DA finishes its bloody maintennance. Seriously, they go down all the time -____-
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 21/05/08, 02:40 pm

I only have a facebook. And my facebook friends dont quite geddit. And can we just pretend my last post made perfect grammatical sense? Great :-D

Back to top Go down

Post By Pura. 21/05/08, 03:04 pm

Post on DA = Done!
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 21/05/08, 03:08 pm

yay!
*cookies*

The rest of you get cookies when you bring in more people!

Back to top Go down

Post By Pura. 21/05/08, 03:33 pm

>3

I get cookies~!
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Back to top Go down

Post By Pyro. 21/05/08, 04:04 pm

But...

I has nowhere to post and promote it!

Oh well.

Uhm, for decorations, what kind of theme'll we be going with?

Seeing as I can't help with booking or promotion from here, and I won't have the major pressure of exams (I only have NCEA maths, being year 10 and all) I'd be happy to make some themed decorations later on in the year, like banners and such.

Seeing as it'll be spring, maybe we could have a Japanese spring theme coming through, with like, cherry blossoms and the like? We could make the whole thing quite pleasant.
Pyro
Pyro
Winner of the Infinitely Quotable Award

Number of posts : 3934
Transforms into : Tik-Tok Tibenoch
Registration date : 2007-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post By Pura. 21/05/08, 04:16 pm

I can decorate too! In my spare time ... I think I'll be mass-studying Physics x__x. I'm already dredding then end of year.

I have no exams on my birthday though ;D
*birthday on Saturday this year*
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 21/05/08, 04:33 pm

If you want to do good in your exams, you need to sleep. That means not posting on forums at 11pm! /mother mode.

A Japanese/spring theme could be very nice!! If we invested in plastic flowers we might be able to use them for something else, or sell them off. Or we could just pillage the countryside for cherry blossoms....

Who else has theme ideas? And location and dinner and style and music and anythingelse you can think of ideas?

Back to top Go down

Post By Pura. 21/05/08, 04:56 pm

Get that cool Chinese guy to come play his funny instrument! You know ... That guy who's in town alot ... He's epic. My school got him to play at our year 8 leavers dinner (it was Asian themed).
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Back to top Go down

Post By panini. 22/05/08, 12:17 am

Okay, I've posted to the LJ last night, and someone raised the point that around November lots of schools will want their halls for things like Graduation etc. So if we want to do this, we'll need to start planning very quickly. They also mentioned that Churches and stuff have halls that we can hire, so we should look into that.

First off, I think we should form a group who will organise this. So far its looking like me(gulp), U_ne_korn, Pura & Li-bai. any objections anyone? (Rallion, again you don't get to object)
panini
panini
Zenbu

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 22/05/08, 01:26 am

But graduations aren't at the weekend! Well, mine never were. What werid and wonderful customs do schools down here have?

And Raillon can't object coz he hasn't joined yet! (Unless he did under a different name... Wait, if it's a different name, how will we know its actually him??)

I'm happy to be officially organising, but I have very little spare time until after exams (16th June). I'm also happy to seed in some petty cash to get things started (oh the joy of having worked full time!). While I'm thinking of money, we should try to get a Lotteries grant. Although, you have to be organised (ie, have a budget!) before they'll give you those.

Although, based on the interest so far, I'm not prepared to run a ball. How about a threat?

If we don't get 30 people who are verifyable different people (no multi-accounts!) expressing interest in a ball ON THIS THREAD, (come on people, joining up takes no time at all!) can we take it as read that people aren't that interested?

Back to top Go down

Post By Li-Bai. 22/05/08, 01:41 am

Pyro: xD That sounds very.... peace-loving. But fun :) No plants please, or I'll be sneezing all night xD

We actually have Sakura trees at school. They're pretty small and pathetic though xD

Pura: It's not a funny instrument! It's a Chinese violin! I object in disgust! DX

But otherwise, that would mean hiring him. He gets hired a lot to play in Chinese concerts when they come around, I know that much.
But who knows - he's been playing for years because he loves the music, not because he needs the money.

Panini: We actually have prizegivings and stuff at St. James/Opera House. I think that's more expensive that hiring out a school hall, personally. But on our school website it says that you CAN hire the school hall, so there's that :)

Remember again, too big and you lose things ^__^;: Less is more~

Don't forget Pyro! :0

U_ne_korn: xD How many people read the thread? I dunno, I'll go splurge on dA the URL for CNZ then ;)
Li-Bai
Li-Bai
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2251
Transforms into : a lover and a renegade fighter.
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Back to top Go down
http://li-bai.deviantart.com

Post By jpwise. 22/05/08, 01:47 am

hehe, you forgot to include a cut-off for the 30 people unekorn. ;p
jpwise
jpwise
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By kyokyogirl. 22/05/08, 08:01 am

As long as nobody dies and I get my first summer work pay $.$ I will be there.
kyokyogirl
kyokyogirl
fuzzeh duckling~

Number of posts : 1097
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post By Pura. 22/05/08, 10:08 am

A few people have shown interest on DA so far =D
Like four people.

And sure, I have no objections to helping organise~

Madja, that's a violin? It's so cool. It's not funny, it's AWESOME 8D
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 22/05/08, 10:51 am

Eh, that takes some of the sting out of my meaningless threat, doesn't it? I meant by the end of the weekend.

I just dont want people to leave it all up to those of us who are actually trying to get things organised and then not like it because they never told us what they wanted!!

We will count Pura's 4 - that takes us to, what 8? 10?

Back to top Go down

Post By Li-Bai. 22/05/08, 11:28 am

Pura: Yep, it's a Chinese violin. Two strings, no frets. Takes a hell of a lot of skill to play. ;)

U_ne_korn: I'm sure the Picnic bunch would be chuffed at the idea of a Ball ;) I'll ask my Marsden friends too, I'm sure they'll be keen.
Li-Bai
Li-Bai
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2251
Transforms into : a lover and a renegade fighter.
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Back to top Go down
http://li-bai.deviantart.com

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

[WCB09] WELLINGTON COSPLAY BALL!! Discussion Thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 2 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next