Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

[WCB09] WELLINGTON COSPLAY BALL!! Discussion Thread

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next
View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Post By Guest. 19/05/08, 01:55 pm

Ok-dokies people,

If we're gonna do a Wellington Cosplay Ball, there are a few things that we need to decide, including (but not limited to):

When - when works for people? I know a lot of you suffer from NCEA, others from University, some of us oldies from work. Do we want to wait until next winter, hurry it up to fit in this winter, or are we ok with an out-of-season Ball?

Cost - how much are people prepared to pay for a ticket? This is a major factor for how much we can spend. I honestly DON'T think its reasonable for us to make Madja pay for everything again. Even if Rallion can provide sound for free, hireage, munchies etc will cost.

Style - do we want an out-and-out, no holds barred, ballroom dancing, dry-ice, silk decorations Labyrinth-peach-trip type thing. Or is something closer to a school social ok? Dress code?

I don't think we need to start nailing down technical issues just yet (chaperones, transport, billeting, who is doing what etc), just discuss. Let the juices flow. GO!

[WCB09] WELLINGTON COSPLAY BALL!! Discussion Thread Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: [WCB09] WELLINGTON COSPLAY BALL!! Discussion Thread
Post By panini. 20/05/08, 03:11 pm

From what people have said, They seem to want it after NCEA exams, which means around November time. Out of season should be okay I think, because this year is too soon (this winter anyway) and next year is too far away (and i might not be here)

COST - I think ~$50ish is acceptable for a ball. I know that was the cost of our one at college the past 2 years, which reasonably cheap I think (and I've seen some up to $100 >.<)

STYLE - I think a-no-holds-barred one will be very hard/expensive to pull off. I think a School Social style one would be good, but we could do things like decorations etc to make it look cool.

DRESS CODE - Cosplay is a must. no cosplay, no entry I think. Formal is preferred, but I think lenience on that is okay.
panini
panini
Zenbu

Number of posts : 61
Transforms into : flying shoe
Registration date : 2008-04-29

Back to top Go down
http://panpanini.deviantart.com

Post By Guest. 20/05/08, 03:21 pm

My 7th form school ball was $25. Though we did use the school hall, which was kinda lame. I know the auckland one is $10, well thats what the thread here said last time I saw, but its also in a school hall (possibly the school of one of the organisers?). I think $50/person would definately cover something between school social and Labyrinth. Would have to see if Rallion can actually supply sounds :-D

November would totally work for me! :-D I could take a serious hand in organising if it were in November.

Which school wants $100 for its school ball? And do they provide caviar at these things?!?!

Back to top Go down

Post By JVCA. 20/05/08, 03:25 pm

My school wants $95. T_T

It's held at sky city, though, and I think that's like... 70% of the cost. >.>;
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Number of posts : 7122
Transforms into : a crotchety old woman
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down
http://www.jvca.net.nz

Post By Guest. 20/05/08, 03:27 pm

Holy crapspackle.

Back to top Go down

Post By Pyro. 20/05/08, 03:37 pm

Uhm, if we have it in November...

Can we like, have it the weekend at the very end?

... -totally not trying to get herself an awesome birthday present of having a cosplay ball the weekend after her birthday-
Pyro
Pyro
Winner of the Infinitely Quotable Award

Number of posts : 3934
Transforms into : Tik-Tok Tibenoch
Registration date : 2007-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post By panini. 20/05/08, 03:41 pm

u_ne_korn wrote:
My 7th form school ball was $25. Though we did use the school hall, which was kinda lame. I know the auckland one is $10, well thats what the thread here said last time I saw, but its also in a school hall (possibly the school of one of the organisers?). I think $50/person would definately cover something between school social and Labyrinth. Would have to see if Rallion can actually supply sounds :-D

November would totally work for me! :-D I could take a serious hand in organising if it were in November.

Which school wants $100 for its school ball? And do they provide caviar at these things?!?!

November it is then!

I suggested around $50 because that would be about the max that we could expect people to pay. It would be able to cover venue hire, food (to a certain extent) decorations, sounds if needed, security if needed etc.

QMC wanted something around that mark. it was held at that place down by Te-Papa.. on the waterfront. boatshed or something? can't remember. and it was pretty crap actually. Our one was so much better
panini
panini
Zenbu

Number of posts : 61
Transforms into : flying shoe
Registration date : 2008-04-29

Back to top Go down
http://panpanini.deviantart.com

Post By Guest. 20/05/08, 03:49 pm

Hey Pyro, you mean the weekend 29/30th?

...-totally not trying to get herself an awesome birthday present of having a cosplay ball the weekend OF her birthday-

Back to top Go down

Post By Pyro. 20/05/08, 03:51 pm

Yeah!

My birthday's on the 25th. x3

... I think this could make an awesome birthday present for the both of us, yes?
Pyro
Pyro

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 20/05/08, 03:54 pm

30th! So totally. :-D Though I have always had a bit of a moral objection to planning own birthday parties. Its like buying your own cake... kinda lame.

Back to top Go down

Post By Li-Bai. 21/05/08, 01:16 am

Hey, hey, take into account that my last exam last year was on DECEMBER the 3rd. >_____<

(I haven't planned myself a birthday party in years.... mainly because others keep on planning surprise ones for me >_____>)

Well, the WGC school hall actually looks like a good venue to me at the moment. I dunno, it just seems..... IDEAL to me. And it could be cheaper? xD

.... Can we please still have a live band play on stage while someone (-coughLOLILLDOIT8Dcough-) sings 'Eyes on Me'? xD
Li-Bai
Li-Bai
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2251
Transforms into : a lover and a renegade fighter.
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Back to top Go down
http://li-bai.deviantart.com

Post By Guest. 21/05/08, 01:24 am

Really? December?!?! Harsh. I finish in October *gloats about university*

Ok, my dad and sister both work at NCEA, I'll check with them about if they know yet when the exam timetable is. If it's out yet, Dad will know.

I'm all for their being a band. Bands are awsome. Does anyone know a band?? What am I saying, my brother is in about 4. *mental note to ask brother about band* Sounds are usually cheaper though, and have the advantage of everyone bringing along their favourite jpop and we can have the mix of dooom!!!!!!

But OF COURSE you can sing "Eyes on Me"! If we get a prerecorded, we can just get a karaoke version!

I havn't seen the WGC hall, but the rest of your school is pretty nice. Does anyone have a photo or do we need to sneak in at midnight while one of you knocks out the security guard with choloroform and hides him in a dumpster? *James Bond trumpets*

.... I must be overtired.

Cheapness, and its really central, is a big pull, but if your Hall is ugly or badly planned out another place might be guenuinely better? Hence the breaking in at midnight...

Back to top Go down

Post By Li-Bai. 21/05/08, 03:55 am

Bah, curse ye xD

Whoo! I can see when my exams finish half a year before they start 8D

Well.... band for just a select few songs. Hey, wait, we have a school orchestra.... let's kidnap them! >D

xD Okay, maybe not EVERYONE.... because there may be double-ups and mixups. And panic. So..... I can bring music, like Gackt, Hyde, Suneohair, Spitz, Chatmonchy, FFVII + FFVIII soundtracks and associated tracks (Reunion, FITHOS LUSEC, Piano Collections, Philharmonic Suite etc. etc), Devil May Cry 3 and 4 Special Soundtrack if you may need it (I doubt it, but whatever xD) and...... so on so forth xD

Whooyeah! Eyes on Me! 8DD
In my opinion, they should've done that at VGL too ^___^

xDDD I have rope! Naw, just kidding. I dunno, maybe we can ask.
The floor's a little gritty, but it's not so bad. I mean, I'm the kind of person who looks out for these opportunities (ie, for photoshoots or meets etc etc) all the time, so it must be okay ^___^
Li-Bai
Li-Bai
Sushi ;O

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 21/05/08, 04:12 am

Gritty? What kind of surface is it?

If you have some free time, ask! Does your school have a website with pics?

Back to top Go down

Post By Li-Bai. 21/05/08, 05:54 am

It's wood, but it's got grit and glitter and etc on it. Sorry for making it sound like a cricket pitch or something xD

Um, there's the [url="http://www.wellington-girls.school.nz"]website[/url] but I don't know about pics. xD
Li-Bai
Li-Bai
Sushi ;O

Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 21/05/08, 06:13 am

Er - the temperature in that hall could be a bit of an issue 'round nov/dec time. I dunno, have you ever felt that room to be either below broiling or above snap freezing? O_O I think maybe getting a bit of a schmancy venue would be really good, just to put a little sparkle onto it. For $50/ticket the overseas terminal would be feasible, or even say hiring out a bar or something (but that might cause problems for the young 'uns...)

Actually, while I'm on that note - would it be an alcohol-free event? It would certainly make things easier to manage (though I wholeheartedly approve of drunken cosplay photos!)

OH OH AND I can secure both video and still camera equipment if we want to make a little book/DVD of the night's shenannigans.
Static
Static
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3584
Transforms into : HULKSMASH
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down
http://www.little-noise.com

Post By Li-Bai. 21/05/08, 07:50 am

Oh my, it's Sylvie! Very Happy

Hm.... personally, I find the school hall temp. MOSTLY fine myself, although there can be those days (like that time we all had to sit on the floor because there was Parent-Teacher interviews on that night and they couldn't be stuffed getting the chairs out.... -grumblegrumble-)

Overseas Terminal is where they have stuff like the Food Show right? It would be nice and fancy, but isn't it a bit too... big? >______>

It totally would be alcohol free xD We don't want people getting smashed and getting inappropriate or anything. Or drink spiking. @_____@
(We should scan everyone who comes in for drugs/alcohol xD)
"Sir, please spread your legs! >("

That would be awesome! 8D Like.... a yearbook or a prombook/video or something. <3333
Li-Bai
Li-Bai
Sushi ;O

Back to top Go down

Post By jpwise. 21/05/08, 08:02 am

*doh* (sorry, I'm an alcohol drinker). Oh, well.
jpwise
jpwise
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down
http://gallery.of.geek.nz

Post By Li-Bai. 21/05/08, 08:04 am

xD Fail!

HEAR HAVE SOEM ORAENG J00S!

-shoves a glass of orange juice in your face-
Li-Bai
Li-Bai
Sushi ;O

Back to top Go down

Post By jpwise. 21/05/08, 08:08 am

lol, slip any vodka in with that? ;p

Nah, it's all good, wouldn't be the first dry event I've been to, plus yeah, it usually takes people a few years to get the hang of their limits, so being a responsible drinker can get boring when you're surrounded by people who are falling over. Although I do join them on very rare occasions. :drunken:

Plus yeah, as static said it'd be easier to organise without the alcohol since quite a few people are underage.
jpwise
jpwise
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down
http://gallery.of.geek.nz

Post By Pyro. 21/05/08, 08:38 am

LYK ME AND TEH MADJAZ.

8D

Uhm, I have no idea about venue or anything, so I can't really help here.
(CHRISTCHURCHER! LAWLZ!)

How'll we spread the word?
Pyro
Pyro

Back to top Go down

Post By _BlazingBlossom_. 21/05/08, 08:45 am

Um...I can't really help, but I will come if I can make it. Just makes one more person.

Spread the word? Flyers? I would be happy to put some round Palmy and other areas, but probably is too far away, but I'm sure you would get people. I know where anime/manga fans gather ^^
_BlazingBlossom_
_BlazingBlossom_
Almighty

Number of posts : 389
Transforms into : Being unpredictable~
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 21/05/08, 10:58 am

I know for a fact that flier drops got us some new people for the picnic, so flier be good. Also, the network of people is pretty close-knit down here. Weekend at the end of school holidays we managed a 20-30 person meetup on 0 advertising, with about 1 months organisation and no heavy duty spamming on any forum.

I myself would come down hard on no alcohol, because:

a) would be a big help for convincing paranoid parents about it (naming no names).
b) legal issues galore dissappear.
c) no-one has the headache of regulating it.
d) I expect that the majority of people attending will be under 21, who are most likely to not be able to handle it sensibly. We don't want drunk teenagers getting a bad case of the walkies and losing them.
e) juice is cheaper!

I really don't see an issue with holding it a school hall. Temperature can be addressed - open the doors or snag a few space heaters. And a gritty floor - well, thats kinda gross, but we could give it a clean :-D. The school webpage is broken though, so I still don't know what it looks like.

We don't want anywhere too big, because it really ruins the lighting, sounds and the mood. Anywhere can be dressed up to look nice, and in my experience the location is not as important as a bunch of other things including: organisation, how well the inside is done, and last, and probably most importantly, the company!

But I'm not in charge. What do other people think?

Back to top Go down

Post By kyokyogirl. 21/05/08, 12:25 pm

I will so be coming down for this, even though I'll be staying at my parents place in Taranaki for the summer hols ^^;

I definitely agree with the NO alcohol.
And yeah, nowhere too big but at the same time maybe a nice-ish place? I'm from Palmy so I don't know much about what kind of 'gathering places' are in Wellington.

OMG...DVD of the night would be awesome!
kyokyogirl
kyokyogirl
fuzzeh duckling~

Number of posts : 1097
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 21/05/08, 12:27 pm

For the out-of-towners, I was thinking we could arrange billets. My flat is teeny tiny but I'm sure we could squish a few in.

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 17Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosplay New Zealand :: Events :: Other NZ Events :: Past Events-