Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cosplay Photography Etiquette

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Re: Cosplay Photography Etiquette
Post By Highlander. 14/04/10, 01:06 pm

Yeah, but then after being at a Geddon you kind of pick up that people wear costumes, and others take photos. You kind of pick up what is acceptable a little. Unfortunately with seeing that ninja photos are so prevalent, and shyness, and the suposition that people dress up for photos, as that is what you have seen the year before, etc, then the answer is not necessarily a big rationale, but ignorance, and going along with what appears to be happening.

Plus with photo/video phones and photo sites/youtube there is more of a take lots of crazy and intrusive shots and upload them culture nowadays. No matter how bad or appropriate the shots are.

I mean how good is the average phone, esp., when you walk past a group of cosplayers in a huddle, turn around afterwards and take a quick shot while people are walking past. (Saw this several times at Geddon.) So you get, what? A few heads, a back or two? Why would you want that.
Highlander
Highlander
dark CHii

Number of posts : 4033
Transforms into : This stylish saffron shirt.
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Cosplay Photography Etiquette - Page 4 Vide
Back to top Go down
http://skydrive.live.com/#cid=23D41AFD1F51E1F4

Post By Static. 14/04/10, 02:21 pm

Okay - the whole anti-ninja-photo sentiment came about when someone said that it was the unknowing model at fault for making or breaking the photo. THAT is what we(or at least I) all got upset about! Ninja photos - yeah, whatever. Not going to stop, and nothing fundamentally wrong with that. People have their opinions, and that's fine. Jp's vault of souls is built almost entirely on ninja photos, and we all love him for it. It's people expecting awesome photos ALL THE TIME when they don't bother asking first that was the point of contention here.

animemay wrote:
...if they are NOT given a reason to get rejected than they will never respect you and the ninjaing will continue.

Then the hit-and-miss photos will continue, too. You keep speaking as if somehow the cosplayers are out to get you - they're not! If you want to do a shoot with someone, just go ask. Most people, if they have time, will be over the moon to go somewhere nice and have some nice photos taken! Don't feel like you have to take all your pictures in the halls, if you want to make art, then make art that YOU want. Your models need to be on board with that, sure, but you need to work with them and build a relationship and reputation of your own.
Static
Static
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3584
Transforms into : HULKSMASH
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down
http://www.little-noise.com

Post By Mischa. 14/04/10, 03:33 pm

animemay wrote:

2. You said it's a respect thing. Well, thats exactly what we were talking about. We were saying in the defence of most photographers if they are NOT given a reason to get rejected than they will never respect you

what if you really really need to pee? Or change your tampon...do photographers really want to know the reason Cosplay Photography Etiquette - Page 4 Icon_lol
Mischa
Mischa
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1045
Transforms into : GRIMDARK
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Back to top Go down
http://www.doublestitch.co.nz

Post By Guest. 14/04/10, 03:39 pm

Static wrote:
It's people expecting awesome photos ALL THE TIME when they don't bother asking first that was the point of contention here.

animemay wrote:
...if they are NOT given a reason to get rejected than they will never respect you and the ninjaing will continue.

Then the hit-and-miss photos will continue, too. You keep speaking as if somehow the cosplayers are out to get you - they're not!

I guess thats the funny thing because I was NEVER arguing about this. I
know that cosplayers arent bad at modelling and basing their modelling
skills on ninjaed photos is a misrepresentation of their ability to
produce awesome photos.

My debate was always about why they ninja because people were calling photographers rude for doing that. I was merely debating where this rudeness MAY have come from. Now that doesnt mean I'm trying to say it is. And since they expressed what they found rude about photographers, I just wanted to say what I and other people might find rude about cosplayers. And then everyone went on the defensive which directed the original argument to somewhere entirely different. Although, I have always had an open mind and agreed and disagreed on pts raised, I think what I struggled to understand was people not accepting any truth in my statement. Regardless of how insignificant it maybe, which made me THINK some people were close minded.

I think thats the only problem with the internet, it's easy to misinterpret things. When I was addressing the issue I was never trying to make as though cosplayers were out to get me (though, yes, I confess I was aggravated in one of my last post so I can understand why you might have come to this conclusion) but the very initial message was never meant to be made out this way. I'm sorry if it appeared this way however, I cant help being opinionated. And to be honest it's all a cycle so we shouldnt be pointing fingers at anyone because we dont know the source/trigger of a person's manner...

animemay wrote:
Mischa wrote:
animemay wrote:

2. You said
it's a respect thing. Well, thats exactly what we were talking about.
We were saying in the defence of most photographers if they are NOT
given a reason to get rejected than they will never respect you

what if you really really need to pee? Or change your tampon...do photographers really want to know the reason Cosplay Photography Etiquette - Page 4 Icon_lol

lol good point. Cosplay Photography Etiquette - Page 4 132820
But if the photographer seems like a shy never done this before type of
person, maybe just saying a white lie or even an apology...like sorry,
I'm a bit busy, is all thats asked. I know you're not obligated to, but
if everyone tries and make every experience enjoyable, we are all sure
to have FUN FUN FUN. Cosplay Photography Etiquette - Page 4 Icon_cheers

Edit by mod: Please refrain from double posting, the multi-quote button allows you to quote multiple posts in one go. Thank you~ Duckeh.

Last edited by animemay on 14/04/10, 04:56 pm; edited 8 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post By Huntress. 14/04/10, 06:58 pm

I wasn't ignoring half the argument. Merely trying to see it from both sides.

1. Remembering that up 'til now all photos not asked for have been referred to as ninja. I agree that there is a difference between ninja and candid. People who take photos of you eating unless they are friends are downright silly.

2. Not all the people who ninja photos at events are professionals and generally the ones silly enough to take photos of you eating are members of the public (not everyone attending these events is a professional photographer and therefore is probably NOT confident enough to ask. Camera does not necessarily equal professional photographer. There is also that fact that while we may view this as rude not everyone at this event has been brought up with the same societal and cultural values. So much as we may want to assume that things like this are just plain common sense - not always the case. I do not base these comments on prejudice but on over 4 years in the hospitality industry where people constantly miscommunicate and misunderstand one another. I feel confident to say that if you approached most of these people in a calm manner and explained that you felt that what they were doing was rude most of them would apologise. The view from the public generally being that people dress in costume to get attention and photographs ALL the time.)

JVCA wrote:
Maybe you don't know how to pose to make you look good, but I know I know how to pose to flatter myself, so the photos where people have actually asked me are always the ones that turn out better in a con environment. Plus, it links back to that eating thing - at any given moment I might be trying to fix my hair/contact lense/wedgie/be blowing my nose - I don't want you to get a photo of that, and do you really want to look at a photo of that either...? (...I really, really hope not)

In response to this. I can pose relatively well my "I can't pose" was in all honesty and exaggeration and to point out that a lot of photographers (not all) are aiming for a candid shot. Also to point out that often there is something beautiful in that shot that is not captured in a posed one. This was in no way excusing those who photograph at odd moments; I consider this rude also. However, I understand when I attend an event in costume that people will do this - it is an inherent part of human nature unfortunately and a lot of people do not have the self-control to stop this impulse. Unfortunately it is part of the risk we take and if it of serious concern it can be mentioned to the organisers - however the most likely outcome would be a blanket camera ban on everyone excluding the hired photographers or those who registered, paid a fee and had to have their photos checked before being allowed to leave the event and upload at home. Again, I would like to further stress the point that those irritating snappers of odd moments are generally the public.

I respect the photographers who do this for a living. But perhaps it would be beneficial all around if both photographers and cosplayers communicated more and asked eachother what the pose looked like and asked for suggestions - photographers still know what makes a good shot even if they don't know your characters poses. A simple "look up, now scowl or smile as befits your character" or "your head is tilted a wee bit too far to the right and may give you an extra chin" could be great!

Hope this clears up any confusion from previous 2 cents worth (think I'm now up to 4 cents in total)

Huntress
Huntress
Huntress
Le grande

Number of posts : 165
Transforms into : A cat canteen. I supply all-you-can-eat biscuits and meats. I also have a fountain of ever-flowing fresh water for your convenience.
Registration date : 2010-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post By Mischa. 15/04/10, 08:16 am

This is pretty much going round in circles at this point.

1. COSPLAYERS LIKE GETTING THEIR PICTURE TAKEN

2.PHOTOGRAPHERS LIKE IT WHEN COSPLAYERS LIKE HAVING THEIR PHOTO TAKEN AND THEY GET WAY PAST COOL SHOTS.

end *chugs a dew*
Mischa
Mischa
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1045
Transforms into : GRIMDARK
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Back to top Go down
http://www.doublestitch.co.nz

Post By angellsnz. 15/04/10, 08:43 am

My 2 cents.

I like getting my photo taken. I am immediately pleased and I feel complimented that someone would like to take my photo. But there have been times that having my photo taken would have been inconvenient. Now I don't know if it's my age, demeanor/confidence/attitude, but if you walk with purpose, and don't make eye contact, then people will generally leave you alone, let alone try to take a photo of you. (I know this is very different from standing around talking to friends etc.)

Also if the person has a big uber professional looking camera, I am going to go up to them and ask if I can have a look at the photo they have taken. Then if it's just ugly I will ask them (nicely) if they would delete it, and if we could try again.

Where as if a person has a little digital camera or taken it on their phone camera, then I will just let it go, as (generally) those people are "joe public" and will not put your photo up on a website. Unlike the guys/girls with the uber camera's.

Sorry for the rambly post. But I think the ultimate thing to keep in mind is,

BE NICE AND BE POLITE in either your acceptance or rejection of having your photo taken.
angellsnz
angellsnz
Armageddon Cosplay Contest Assistant

Number of posts : 199
Transforms into : I have one
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content