Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Boning, yay or nay? Wedding!Yuna's dress.

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Post By Rikku. 26/01/11, 03:10 pm

Spoiler:

Lololololololol yes. I intend on making this some day. /Adds it to the long list of waiting cosplays. XD Tho I might cut a few of the cosplays on my list out. Just because. I don't want a big long list to have to make. BUT ANYWAY. ON TOPIC.

I want to make this some day, but I'm not sure how it would be held up. I'm thinking boning, but it's high in the front, and goes down to her lower back in the back. It wouldn't stay up naturally, so I was wondering if I put some boning in, if it would stay up that way. Either that, or I could just get some double sided tape and stick it to myself. XD

Also, if I were to put in some boning, HOW? D8 I'm a n00b, and I have no idea how I would go about putting boning in.
Anybody got any good tutorials on hand that they could link to me? 8D

Thanks heaps, gaiz! 8D <333
Rikku
Rikku
marshmallow ninja

Number of posts : 937
Transforms into : Sephiroth! <3
Registration date : 2010-03-29

Boning, yay or nay? Wedding!Yuna's dress. Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: Boning, yay or nay? Wedding!Yuna's dress.
Post By Yunca. 26/01/11, 03:20 pm

hmm i remember sumone cosplayed sumthing simular they used see through sraps thingys to hold it up. not sure what its called tho sorry.
Yunca
Yunca
Almighty

Number of posts : 346
Transforms into : a Panda
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Back to top Go down
http://kawaiipanda2.deviantart.com/

Post By Guest. 26/01/11, 03:22 pm

I want to say yes, but then I don't know. Search on deviantart for people who have arleady made it and see what they did? C: /this might help with my Ahiru cosplay next year

Back to top Go down

Post By azeria. 26/01/11, 03:23 pm

You'll have to use some type of double sided tape to keep that up if you don't want anything visible. or you could try find some of the clear straps they have on some strapless bras to sew on to help keep it up.

As for boning, when I did it I just used the plastic stuff, took the boning out of the channels, sewed them in separately. Make sure you round the edges of the boning so they don't stab you. Then just put them back in the channels.

.......yea I suck at explaining lol. But if you use patterns that have boning it should tell you how to do it.
azeria
azeria
ACB Queen '10

Number of posts : 3226
Transforms into : Rinatron
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down
http://azeriacosplay.tumblr.com/

Post By Rikku. 26/01/11, 03:39 pm

Ooo DA. That could be very helpful.
I hadn't thought of them clear straps. I have some of those for a bra of mine, but it's two. I guess I'd need clear straps that could be turned into a halterneck thing(I nearly typed Heartless. xD Gotta love distractions while typing).
I doubt that I'll find a pattern that would match Yuna's dress AND have boning, so I'll probably end up making my own. XD;; And making my own means that I have no instructions for boning. </3
Double-sided tape COULD work, but it would hurt heaps to take it off at the end of the day. D8

Thanks for all the help tho, gaiz! 8D
Rikku
Rikku
marshmallow ninja

Back to top Go down

Post By Lexicon. 26/01/11, 05:19 pm

I have nothing to add to this thread (except for the possibly helpful maybe idea of using wire?) except when I first read the thread's title, it made me do a double take. Hurr durr

Lexicon
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1037
Registration date : 2009-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post By Victorian Couture. 26/01/11, 06:10 pm

I've put heaps of boning into dresses and corsets
the easiest method i've used is to sew the boning into the seam ^.^
Just make sure the seam allowance is wide enough to hold the boning, and just fold over the seam allowance after sewn then sew down the allowance to make a casing,
which is nice because it means you can put boning in anything that has a seam ^.^

another method i've used is bia binding or ribbon sewn over the seam inside to create a casing,
this method is usefull if you dont have a seam where you want boning and if your seam allowance is to small
^.^
as for boning, i've tryed the fashion boning you can get from everywhere, it's not very good, it bends and stays bend after you wear it because of body heat,

flat PVC welding tubes worked very well but it will SNAP if bent to much, (i found that out the hard way T^T)

spiral steel and spring steel is really the best and is designed for use as boning but its hard to get and kind off expense,

my FAVE is wide and thick cable ties nodnod and they are very cheap aswell, they keep their shape and dont snap when bent to much they just spring back ^.^ I use them as boning in all my projects

my friend once used doublesided tape for this type of dress it didn't go very well sweatdrop
she ended up using the clear straps, 1-2 straps going around the back and one around the neck halterneck style
Victorian Couture
Victorian Couture
seXAH <3

Number of posts : 93
Transforms into : neck deep in lace samples
Registration date : 2010-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post By Pura. 26/01/11, 06:12 pm

Lexicon wrote:
except when I first read the thread's title, it made me do a double take. Hurr durr

*highfive* Me too |D

I don't think it would really matter. Boning more keeps shape, rather than keep it up. You can buy hollywood tape, which is double sided tape specially made to keep dresses on, haha. (But I think with a dress that revealing, you would want more than tape to keep it up ... So you're not risking anything |D)
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post By neimhaille. 27/01/11, 06:05 am

Definitely needs boning :)

Boning serves two purposes. In corsetry it molds the body to a desired shape whether it be conical in pre 19thC stays or hour glass in Victorian and later. It does this in conjuction with the cut of the fabric and density of boning.

In dresses it does not work as support it works to hold the dress to shape over the foundation. So in Victorian dresses there are bones in the bodice even though it is worn over a corset. It keeps the bodice nice and smooth over and around and into the curves created underneath.

It prevents vertical slump, seen as horizontal wrinkles.

This is definitely based on modern formal dresses so look in bridal sections of patterns. The better brands will have good instructions on how to make them up. Generally the boning will be sewn only to the lining layer. There is no topstitching to sew the boning in channels to the outer layer.

It's best to sew channels for the boning rather than through- aside from allowing the fabric to stretch naturally (and avoid some of those stress lines) it won't damage your sewing machine. The channels can be either the seam allowances turned back and sewn down or a separate tube sewn over the seam/panel.

definitely go to a library and get books on couture dressmaking or books that deal with formal wear.

You will need to adapt the dress or work out hidden support. It defies gravity.
neimhaille
neimhaille
Armageddon Cosplay Contest Judge

Number of posts : 661
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post By Mischa. 27/01/11, 09:47 am

this article has some good advice for working with boning:
http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4339/boning-not-just-for-corsets
Mischa
Mischa
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1045
Transforms into : GRIMDARK
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Back to top Go down
http://www.doublestitch.co.nz

Post By Static. 29/01/11, 03:09 am

There are a few ways you could do this - if you use boning, it will definitely hold it up, but with such a low cut back you will also need to keep the tension around you tight enough to hold it into place. I'm doing a Jessica Rabbit dress at some point which has a similar shape, and I suspect in addition to boning, hollywood tape might be a life (and also modesty) saver!
Static
Static
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3584
Transforms into : HULKSMASH
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down
http://www.little-noise.com

Post By JVCA. 29/01/11, 03:17 am

And on the topic of modesty - perhaps some pasties as an 'if all goes to hell' back up?
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Number of posts : 7122
Transforms into : a crotchety old woman
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down
http://www.jvca.net.nz

Post By Rikku. 29/01/11, 05:43 am

@Lexicon Lolwhut? XD No matter how much I look, I dont understaaaaand! D8

@Victorian Couture Waoh. =O So much help. 8D
I've seen a few things that say sew it into the seam, but I don't understand how that would work. You've got two pieces of seam, so do you stick the wire or what have you in there, then sew it shut around it? /Total n00b. XD
When I get home, I'll write a list of each and take it down to my local Spotlight and ask them about it(tho I won't be making the dress for a long while, so it's not too desperate. x3). Tho I can understand the cable ties. I love playing with them. XD
The doublesided tape would be to keep it up, but with a possibly heavy dress, it may not work...
The clear straps could possibly do it. 8D

@Pura Lol you too? XD
I think I'd want the dress to be shaped to me, rather than not. Just because it's such a pretty dress. xD
But Hollywood tape you say? =O

@Neimhaille
Oh, thankyou. 8D Lol I wouldn't have thought to look in the bridal section. xD;;; /Dunce. If the pattern has instructions on boning, I SHOULD be sweet.... I can follow instructions. xD
Thankyou! <3
Lol also the person who invents material that defies gravity will be a BILLIONAIRE. xDDD

@Mischa
=O Wow. Helpful! <3 Thanks!

@Static
xD Hollywood tape seems to be a unanimous choice for a modesty saver. xD Tight tension. Got it. 8D <3

@JVCA Pasties? As in the pastry with mince and peas and stuff inside? Or paste-ies, as in... Paste?
(But I think i will need a back up, just in case. XD With a dress like this, yes. xD;)

Thankyou everybody for your valuable input!! It's made a few things a bit clearer! <3333333
You gaiz are all totally amazing. ^-^
Rikku
Rikku
marshmallow ninja

Back to top Go down

Post By JVCA. 29/01/11, 05:52 am

Pasties are basically nipple stickers, hahah. You can get very plain ones, or glitzy ones, but they just help you cover up that little bit extra if you can't wear a bra under the dress you're wearing. There are also those stick on bras they sell at Farmers though, which you could give a try if you would prefer to wear a bra with the dress. Very Happy
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Number of posts : 7122
Transforms into : a crotchety old woman
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down
http://www.jvca.net.nz

Post By Rikku. 29/01/11, 05:55 am

Ahhhhhhhhh. xDD Right. That makes heaps of sense. x3
I'm thinking I might get a stick on bra, just because I hate not having support. But we'll see. ^-^
Soh many ideas and suggestions! 8D
Rikku
Rikku
marshmallow ninja

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosplay New Zealand :: Cosplay :: Costume Help & Critique-