Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Japanese or English Voices?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic View next topic Go down

Which one?
Japanese voices FTW!!!
Japanese or English Voices? - Page 2 Vote_lcap87%Japanese or English Voices? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 87% [ 87 ]
English voices rule!!
Japanese or English Voices? - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Japanese or English Voices? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 13% [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 100

Poll closed

MessageAuthor
Re: Japanese or English Voices?
Post By masumaru. 29/06/08, 09:56 am

The Japanese versions have stuck with me for so long I don't think I could adjust to English voices now. >___<
The original versions just sound cooler and better than when they dub it. Somehow the dubbed versions always end up being messed ((nothing just flows O___O;))
masumaru
masumaru
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 611
Registration date : 2008-06-15

Japanese or English Voices? - Page 2 Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 29/06/08, 11:45 am

Japanese definitely. I will freely admit that not all English dubs are bad, and some can ocassionally surpass Jap VA's -- but as a general rule -- they suck ass.

Back to top Go down

Post By Lavi_x. 29/06/08, 12:01 pm

Cromartie High School's dub is pretty good.
Lavi_x
Lavi_x
noodletastic

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 29/06/08, 12:30 pm

It was. I love the main character's internal monologue. XD

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 11/07/08, 07:55 am

May not believe this but both !

Japanese dubb's are really good and they usually have more character than the English- and the English voices normally sound really don't know- cheesy ?
But at least they try though, got to give them effort for trying...

The English voices are good if you want to mulit-task and maybe do something else like draw fanart while watching- or maybe grab a cup of tea or something or you can leave the room no problem..

However in Japanese you really have to focus on the words written on the bottom of the screen and you really have to focus on the anime..

So yeah, guess both ^-^

Back to top Go down

Post By Lavi_x. 11/07/08, 09:48 am

I agree, but if I have seen an anime in the original Japanese I usually prefer it
Lavi_x
Lavi_x
noodletastic

Back to top Go down

Post By Auroa. 11/07/08, 10:31 am

~ haven't voted, can't decide~
edit: and whoa this is long lol

I dont understand what the fuss is about the countless comments going "omg wtf the dub SUCKS!!!11"
>_>
also whats worse is some people blame the voice actors, when really it should be the voice directors or whoever employed them. The VA’s do their best, and sometimes even end up with a part they actually didn’t want/auditioned for.

When it comes down to it, whatever version you watch, you get used to...
If I watch something in English, I get used to it and I want to continue watching it in English, likewise for Japanese.

Someone mentioned Naruto? I was the same, I had read some of the manga or whatever, then when I first saw it advertised and heard his voice I was like “no… no, that can’t be!” I continued watching the dub and got used to it to the point where I thought it suited him =P
Now I’m watching the Japanese version, and I’m used to his voice this way.
I like them both… … ?

Anyway, I never really even thought about the dub voices until after watching countless anime in Japanese (thanks to the anime club.)

I have to admit, now, I never question the Japanese voices … yet if I watch something in English I feel more judgmental and inclined to go “meh,” “hey that voice suits him,” “oh that doesn’t.” Even without hearing the original Japanese voices, or comparing the two.
But ever anime I’ll find voices that suit some characters and voices that don’t - in the same series.
The other thing is like whats already been said, accents – well ones in English I can recognize well but in Japanese I can’t. I remember in a series I used to watch a American-character had learned to speak Japanese from a different area so he had an accent which the other characters found funny every time he talks … yet I can’t notice the accent. ;;

ANYWAY, for the answer… I’m not sure, I’m both I guess.
The benefit of listen to them in Japanese is you start picking up phrases, and slowly can learn the language. In subs you can also get those little subs at the top that explain a word or fact of relevance to the scene/series.
The bad is having to read the subs - missing scenes because of this and also unable to multi-task.
= course this is all to do with subs, not voices.

The question is, if I could understand Japanese (gets rid of the no-sub vrs sub = where no-sub wins,) would I be watching the series in Japanese or in English?
… and… I … don’t actually know oO
Auroa
Auroa
Can't brain, has case of dumbs.

Number of posts : 4962
Transforms into : ૮◠ᴥ◠ა
Registration date : 2007-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 15/07/08, 08:45 am

Just a random question for those who prefer Japanese voices

Do you go out and buy the autograph for anime voice actors at Geddon ??

Back to top Go down

Post By Lavi_x. 15/07/08, 09:23 am

Nope.
Lavi_x
Lavi_x
noodletastic

Back to top Go down

Post By Duckeh. 15/07/08, 09:30 am

I like the VAs, it's not their fault. :3
So this year I'll get things signed by them.
<333
Duckeh
Duckeh
GOD of all things EPIC

Number of posts : 6842
Transforms into : YO BUTT.
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down
http://www.duckeh.com

Post By obeandcath. 15/07/08, 10:05 am

I'll probably get their autographs just to have them xD Although I prefer Japanese voices a LOT more than English. Maybe it's just because dubbing stops the lip movement matching xD I'm rather picky on little things like that.
obeandcath
obeandcath
seXAH <3

Number of posts : 87
Transforms into : manfacemon
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post By Duckeh. 15/07/08, 10:17 am

obeandcath wrote:
I'll probably get their autographs just to have them xD Although I prefer Japanese voices a LOT more than English. Maybe it's just because dubbing stops the lip movement matching xD I'm rather picky on little things like that.
Totally~ BUT THE VAs ARE SO SWEET!!
You shall love them to, for everyone must! >8D
Duckeh
Duckeh
GOD of all things EPIC

Number of posts : 6842
Transforms into : YO BUTT.
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down
http://www.duckeh.com

Post By IcyRose. 15/07/08, 11:31 am

obeandcath wrote:

Funny how you say that, the English dub is the one that actually makes an effort to match the lip flaps where as the japanese dialogue is simply spoken without care of lip movements (I imagine they can just be reanimated to fit in any case) It's why english dubbing for anime is so difficult, because it's the only instance in which they have to actually match the lip movements for the character (this is also why some liberties are taken with the script so that they can get the lip movements to match) Meanwhile the performance for american cartoons and games don't do that since with cartoons at the very least, they can animate the lips to match and with most games it's easily programmable to have voice only come out at lip movements.
IcyRose
IcyRose
lucky*

Number of posts : 1142
Transforms into : That Dark Handsome Swordsman
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down
http://roseandblossom.deviantart.com

Post By creature124. 15/07/08, 11:32 am

Depends ALOT on the show, but 9/10 japanese is better.
creature124
creature124
Winner of the Keen Designer Award

Number of posts : 1948
Transforms into : Trollmon
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post By Rolly. 15/07/08, 11:42 am

Well, for me, it seems that anime doesn't suit English voices.... plus, the dubbing industry definitely makes big mistakes like:

"Ohh! This guy (character) is hot in Japan, so let's put a hot for the voice of this character!!!"

NO STOP.
BIG MISTAKE
You end up with people voicing roles that doesn't suit....

Another one is that they either make the girl's voices too girly, too high, or both. And the guy's too deep for like a 12 year old.

Jeez, learn form your mistakes, dubbers.

That's why I vote original! Anime is like a piece of art. Changing the voices changes a big part of the art.
Rolly
Rolly
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2918
Transforms into : a stylish shoe for the blind earthbender
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post By obeandcath. 15/07/08, 12:46 pm

IcyRose wrote:
Funny how you say that, the English dub is the one that actually makes an effort to match the lip flaps where as the japanese dialogue is simply spoken without care of lip movements (I imagine they can just be reanimated to fit in any case) It's why english dubbing for anime is so difficult, because it's the only instance in which they have to actually match the lip movements for the character (this is also why some liberties are taken with the script so that they can get the lip movements to match) Meanwhile the performance for american cartoons and games don't do that since with cartoons at the very least, they can animate the lips to match and with most games it's easily programmable to have voice only come out at lip movements.

Oh really? I thought they changed lots of the lines for comprehension's sake. C:
Thanks for that information. Although it would be a lot easier to watch dubbed anime if my dad didn't point out all the unsynchronized parts xD I guess that makes it that tiny bit harder for me to appreciate dubs.
obeandcath
obeandcath
seXAH <3

Number of posts : 87
Transforms into : manfacemon
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post By Suixelo. 15/07/08, 01:23 pm

Japanese generally, it's how it was meant to be watched. I've seen Disney movies in Japanese and French, and it's not the same. The characters feel different, because they are being played differently. Every actor/actress has a different take on a character, even though they get the same information and same directing, the outcome will be different. It's the same in theatre, in movies, TV etc.

There are some American VAs out there who I really respect, and are really amazing at their job. And then there are those like Vic Mignogna who let everyone in the industry down.
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3569
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post By Riven_. 17/07/08, 04:33 am

Those who know me will tell you that I'll only watch English if
a) nothing else is available and I REALLY want to watch it.
b) I've been tied up and can't reach the remote.

It's not so much the english voice acting that I hate (although Americans accents annoy the heck out of me, and there are some HORRENDOUS quality dubs out there) I usually hate the translations.

They're usually americanised culturally, and leave a whole lot of Japanese culture and subtext out of the translations. I think it just doesn't work. (acutally, it's fun to watch anime in English *dies at the thought* with the subtitles on. Usually the subtitles are directly from the Japanese, and you can see a contrast between when/how the lines are said.

...and randomly talking about disney! I grew up watching Robin Hood (the fox, you know?) in French, 'cause that's the only version we had, and then I watched it in English and IT WAS WRONG! *cries*

So, in conclusion, I have an opinion. Yay me! XP
Feel free to disagree with me.
Riven_
Riven_
Advice Guru

Number of posts : 1961
Transforms into : The Procrastinator!
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down
http://crescent-fall.livejournal.com

Post By Pyro. 18/07/08, 07:51 am

Suixelo wrote:
Japanese generally, it's how it was meant to be watched. I've seen Disney movies in Japanese and French, and it's not the same. The characters feel different, because they are being played differently. Every actor/actress has a different take on a character, even though they get the same information and same directing, the outcome will be different. It's the same in theatre, in movies, TV etc.

There are some American VAs out there who I really respect, and are really amazing at their job. And then there are those like Vic Mignogna who let everyone in the industry down.

You did not just say that.
Pyro
Pyro
Winner of the Infinitely Quotable Award

Number of posts : 3934
Transforms into : Tik-Tok Tibenoch
Registration date : 2007-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post By Suixelo. 18/07/08, 10:02 am

Say what? *confused*
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Willuknight. 18/07/08, 12:38 pm

Pura wrote:
I used to watch everything in English because I had the DVDs. But now that I'm watching more anime that has been downloaded and burnt to a disk, or watched something online as it's been released, I now tend to like the Japanese more.

Like because I watched Death Note in Japanese when it came out, and now that I have the DVDs, I'm watching them dubbed for the sake of it, and it's just very stupid. Ryuk and L have bad voices, and Light and Misa's are weeeeird.

I also don't like the Code Geass dub, but if I buy the DVDs I would watch it in english just because otherwise it seems to defeat the purpose.

the purpose is that your buying the dvds to support the industry and have a physical copy of something you cherish. You dont have to watch the english dub, to beable to fulfill those. I usually dont bother watching the dvds i own anyways, i just watch the rip/downloaded version on my pc.
Willuknight
Willuknight
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1288
Transforms into : Megatron
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Back to top Go down
http://willu.net

Post By Suixelo. 18/07/08, 02:07 pm

Totally! I never watch the English tracks on my DVDs, but I buy them whenever I can to support the industry. I'm not going to watch the dubs unless there's a VA involved who I really like. But that's just me =]
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Pyro. 19/07/08, 06:29 pm

Suixelo wrote:
Say what? *confused*

T_T

I'm finding it hard enough enduring some of the things you guys're saying about dubs, and then you like... Insult my favorite VA...

I'm just going to go whimper in a corner with the Trinity Blood dub and my tears of immense pain now...
Pyro
Pyro
Winner of the Infinitely Quotable Award

Number of posts : 3934
Transforms into : Tik-Tok Tibenoch
Registration date : 2007-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post By Suixelo. 20/07/08, 07:45 am

He is homophobic, never bothers to research his characters, has an ego the size of a planet, shoves god down everyone's throats etc etc. He uses his job as a means to brainwash people and I do not agree with that, good VA or not.

He is the most hated VA I have ever known of.
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By IcyRose. 20/07/08, 08:09 am

Ah, I was wondering what all the hubbub was about with Vic since one of the members of the ADP has a particularly large hatred towards him and upon asking her why I just got a very simplified answer with no real reasoning in it. The only bit I really knew was that he had a huge ego.
IcyRose
IcyRose
lucky*

Number of posts : 1142
Transforms into : That Dark Handsome Swordsman
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down
http://roseandblossom.deviantart.com

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content