Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

N00b needs the lowdown on cosplaying D:

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Post By lebleachy. 20/10/10, 02:08 pm

Hi people, i decided to post in the wellington cosplayers because i guess you guys are closer to where i live.
Heres the deal, I've never cosplayed before -.-
I've been going to armageddon for the past 6 years but i've never really had the guts to even approach dressing up because well simply i don't know how D: or should i say what is right and the rules etc.
I'm just looking for someone to help me learn about it for the wellington geddon next april because i would
love to finally do cosplay and maybe even enter the contest but looking on the geddon website it all
looks so completed and alien to me with the whole registration deal.
So anyone out there will to help out a willing noob to get the ropes and maybe even meet up and
show me what to do , i would be in forever your debt!
i don't really have any friends that are into this sort of thing just gaming so i haven't a clue
i know its probably easier to do than i think i'd just rather go in with all the information i need before dressing up
appearing and people being like N00b needs the lowdown on cosplaying D: 402399 wut.

SOOOO cmon wellington people i'm sure someone out there is lovely enough to help me out
i have no problems with costumes and wigs ( not that i have any but i know a few places to buy and can sew)

my emails: mel_64_1@hotmail.com

though tell me if you add me cause i usually deny alot of people thinking there bots >__>
but yeah Very Happy help ! cause its already embarassing enough to admit i'm a total n00b.
lebleachy
lebleachy
Pinky

Number of posts : 22
Transforms into : no one as of yet, unless you count my totoro hat? then i can transform into a mega fan.
Registration date : 2010-10-18

N00b needs the lowdown on cosplaying D: Vide
Back to top Go down
http://secretsinspace.tumblr.com

Re: N00b needs the lowdown on cosplaying D:
Post By rayjin. 20/10/10, 02:47 pm

lol everyone starts off as a noob lol hey iv been doing it for some years now and i still feel like a noob lol.
first things first who do you wanna cosplay?
second what is there costume made up of?
third what do u need to make/get to make it?
forth well make it.
no one expects the first cosplay to be ground breaking or anything (that doesnt mean it can't lol)
cosplay is no different than when u were little and would dress in ur mum or dads clothes and pretend to be an adult a cop a nurse a doctor lol a cowboy or indian only now we have the skills and inspiration to make something instead of just using "just" our imagination.
feel like i should say more but i have a tendency to go on and annoy people lol
rayjin
rayjin
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 591
Transforms into : casual Sundays
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down
http://rayjin12.deviantart.com/

Post By Static. 20/10/10, 02:55 pm

Welcome to the community! Very Happy There are no rules for cosplay, really - there are for the contest, but that's to make the judge's life easier more than anything else :) Just dress up, and come talk to anyone else in costume - there is nobody here who'll hate on you because you're new/don't know anyone yet. A really great way to meet some of the cosplayers is to come to the meetups or picnics that get organised - if it's being organised on the forums, just drop in a post introducing yourself and ask if you can come along :)

Also, with the contest - it is so much fun. You get to see everyone else's hard work and admire it up-close, and EVERYONE likes talking about their costumes! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Static
Static
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3584
Transforms into : HULKSMASH
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down
http://www.little-noise.com

Post By Thornback. 20/10/10, 03:11 pm

Cosplay Rules and regulations? Outside of geddon competition(the only rule i remember is that 70% of your costume has to be your own work), I can't think of any, except the ban on dangerous weapons...any cosplay is usually accepted, from anime and manga, to video games and live action things. It's not like there are any rules regarding who you can and cannot cosplay-although you may want to choose something practical, for ease of movement and shopping, and something relatively family friendly...wellygeddon in particular has a number of well known...characters, shall we say....and some scantily clad cosplayers have found themselves the focus of unwanted attention. Not to say you can't cosplay a character like that...just factors to consider.

Also, try getting into the social side! the cosplay community is very warm and welcoming-all we ask is that people behave appropriately around other people and in public-we don't want people to be more suspicious of cosplay than some already are. We're very protective of our own-we see a cosplay, in trouble, we help out however we can, whether its sparing a safety pin or rescuing from some creep.

Speaking from past experience, from an outside perspective, the cosplay community can seem very tight-knit and exclusive-when i first got into it, I felt a little out-of-place, because it seemed like everyone already there had known each other forever, and-but go up and say hello, mention your favourite series... and you'll find that there's always room for another in our circle of friends.

Thornback
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1317
Transforms into : Sir Robins Minstrels(there was much rejoicing.)
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post By rayjin. 20/10/10, 04:21 pm

lol characters both in and out of the cosplayer community ...oh god memories of creepy startrek guy......................
rayjin
rayjin
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By lebleachy. 21/10/10, 06:57 am

Haha thanks guys! i'll probably end up making friends between now and wellygeddon and learn abit more its just sorta queer to travel all the way from kapiti in an outfit and go somewhere where everyone else is in cosplay and mostly all know each other but i'm sure if i put past the shyness i'm bound to talk to people. i did sales and marketing for awhile so i had to speak to people -_- its just learning to be confident in an outfit N00b needs the lowdown on cosplaying D: 974377

Thanks for being welcoming though Very Happy I feel a little more educated now.
lebleachy
lebleachy
Pinky

Transforms into : no one as of yet, unless you count my totoro hat? then i can transform into a mega fan.

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 21/10/10, 07:59 am

I have only cosplayed once so far, and for me, when I'm in cosplay, I feel like a totally different person. For some reason I become so much more confident while I'm in cosplay. It's good fun, definitely try it! :3

Back to top Go down

Post By azeria. 21/10/10, 08:38 am

I was shy for AGES when I first joined the community lol. But now not so much >___>
And be sure to come along to the SPCC party, you'll be able to meets lots of people there 8D
azeria
azeria
ACB Queen '10

Number of posts : 3226
Transforms into : Rinatron
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down
http://azeriacosplay.tumblr.com/

Post By lebleachy. 21/10/10, 10:04 am

haha but see im too shy to even turn up to a party :/ ! i need to hunt down some friends on this -_- so i don't feel too outcast. I'm usually confident just this scares me :B
lebleachy
lebleachy
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post By rayjin. 21/10/10, 11:28 am

come on its a Halloween/xmas one no presure on the cosplay and an awesome and easy way to meet people
rayjin
rayjin
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By lebleachy. 21/10/10, 11:42 am

eep! i'll have a think then.
lebleachy
lebleachy
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post By Sorien. 22/10/10, 03:13 am

Greetings and salutations!

First thing to mention, is that you don't always have to compete to cosplay. You can just do it for fun, and as plenty of others have mentioned: the social aspect.

Also like Rayjin mentioned, the first thing to do is to decide on what you want to cosplay. Ever seen a character (I know you said your friends don't really do this sorta stuff) or had your friends or parent etc mention that you look like someone? This is often an easy place to start, especially if you like the character. That being said, you don't have to cosplay as someone you look like.

As for the halloween thing, as some people have mentioned (both on the facebook page and elsewhere) if you don't have time, you could always go as a sheet ghost. I'm sure that'd be tricky XD. Most of all though, just relax, have fun, enjoy yourself.
Sorien
Sorien
Le grande

Number of posts : 164
Transforms into : Superbio man?
Registration date : 2009-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post By lebleachy. 23/10/10, 07:15 am

I've got my halloween costume all figured out Very Happy its the only time of the year that is excusable for going all out. i'll have a browse at this halloween/xmas party business and see how i feel.
lebleachy
lebleachy
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post By Hannah. 26/10/10, 12:56 pm

Welcome~
i only did my first (proper) cosplay at this years Welly geddon >.<

suggestions? hmm i'd start out simple, perhaps choose a favorite fandom and find a reasonably easy character to cosplay,
also cosplaying in or with a group makes it MUCH easier, you'll feel way more comfortable~
so check the threads for any groups you may be interested.
hope this helps~
Hannah
Hannah
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 798
Transforms into : a shark yo
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post By azeria. 26/10/10, 01:03 pm

Indeed having a group is so much cooler.
I went to Doujin Overload this year which is in Auckland. Was very awkward when I first got there because I arrived alone, was not wearing glasses so could not see perfectely and didn't really know any Aucklanders RL. Though I'd posted a photo of the cosplay I was going to be wearing so after a few minutes of me trying to figure out where Icarus' table was I was attacked by Catness and Socku xDD & then I had loads of fun 8DD

So yea, come to party, meet people and then you'll have friends to hang out with at Geddon so you don't feel as awkward 8D
Things are much funner when you have people with you =]
azeria
azeria
ACB Queen '10

Number of posts : 3226
Transforms into : Rinatron
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down
http://azeriacosplay.tumblr.com/

Post By lebleachy. 27/10/10, 06:20 am

ah yes i can imagine D: cool hopefully i can make it to the party then (:
lebleachy
lebleachy
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1