Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

[AC10] Con Report!

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
[AC10] Con Report!
Post By Guest. 31/08/10, 02:21 am

Oh wowsa, that was a weekend!

On Thursday EVERYTHING went wrong. I ended up sitting at home eating a burger dispondently when I was suppossed to be either running around after Static or finishing my Xena Costume. After a while I perked up and kept working on Xena. I gave that up at about 2am and went to bed.

At 6 am my alarm went off and I staggered out of bed and started packing. I needed clothes/costumes for 3 days, the vast majority of an exhibition of costumes and a bunch of odds and ends to sew with. I was running 20 minutes late by the time I drove off to pick up Sylvie. She brought me my first coffee in 6 months though, that was pretty awesome. Drove to collect the rest of the exhibition, print out exhibition labels and round up more sewing equipment and then down into town.

FRIDAY

The Con was held at the Quality Hotel on Cuba Street in Wellington. We luckily found a park directly outside and went in to find out what was going on. After all that, we were early and couldn't find anyone to give us the go-ahead to move into our room. I still hadn't eaten any food. By about 9:30 we'd moved into our room and started to set up.

Our room was huge and amazing - 50m square, all for cosplay. We set up a 14 costume exhibition, which got a lot of positive comments. I was very pleased with how that turned out, although I would have preferred there be more costumes from outside those of us who put the exhibition together. I feel it's a tad wanky to say "Here is an awesome exhibition of costumes... made entirely by us." Oh well

THE CHALLENGE

Two sewing machines and an overlocker occupied one corner, and those were fully occupied for the entire afternoon. We set ourselves the challenge of making two costumes in one day between the group. We made one of Padme's outfits from Starwars, and a generic Jedi costume. The idea was to make the costumes and show that it's not that hard really and inspire other people to cosplay.
So me, Static, amightydilemma, Misha and Thornback, assisted at odd times by others, sewed and sewed and sewed. And we did it! Barely. And then Cassiel and a few others helped us clean up.

About halfway through the day, those of us sharing a hotel room moved into it. Which was handy for when we wanted to pack up the exhibition at high speed. It went directly into the room and then we went out to eat. Of course we dragged it all back down for the opening ceremony.

But before that, we went to Con 101 - how to enjoy your first con. This was held in the hotel room that the con booked out for this purpose - called the Con Suite. We could go there to use the cooking facilities or anything. That was very handy.

Con 101 was pretty good. It was a bit concerning that they felt the need to reiterate the need to shower. But otherwise, we had good discussions about how the con was different to Armageddon.

At the opening ceremony, there was an emphasis on not burning down the hotel, and making sure us pesky cosplayers didn't cause issues with our props. The rules were much stricter than 'Geddon, but then again it was a much smaller event at a hotel. And they didn't really know what to expect from us - cosplay is relatively rare at these cons and its a much older age bracket. I was in the youngest 15%!

Then we went to the "Future Sex" panel. This had the potential to be a very good discussion, but I felt it was held back a bit by people's failure to get some of the basics of feminism 101. So we didn't get to talk about the morality of sex-bots, because we were too busy talking about the links between money, marriage and power. However, for my very first ever sci-fi/fantasy con panel, I was VERY impressed.

But I have to get some work done now so I'll report on Saturday and Sunday later.

[AC10] Con Report! Vide
Back to top Go down

[AC10] Con Report!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosplay New Zealand :: Events :: Other NZ Events :: Past Events-