Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Darker than Black ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Darker than Black ?
Post By Guest. 18/02/10, 02:44 pm

Hey is thinking about getting into the manga/ anime Darker than Black but need some questions to be asked >< (sorry !'')

Uhm- Is it any good ?

It looks kinda like a horror because the main male is wearing a rather creepy mask, is the manga horror ? is the main character just fighting for some sort of justice ?

Thanks (:

Also if your a fan of the anime don't be afraid to speak about it here

~~ #~~

Last edited by Pink- Ninja on 20/02/10, 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Darker than Black ? Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: Darker than Black ?
Post By DeltaBeta. 19/02/10, 09:24 am

Not really horror, but there is a reasonable amount of violence.

There are reviews and summaries out there:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2025/Darker_than_BLACK_-_Kuro_no_Keiyakusha
DeltaBeta
DeltaBeta
Tophat

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Darker than Black ? Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By PIe. 19/02/10, 09:31 am

Darker than Black is amazing (the anime that is) the first season way more than the second. As was said above, it isn't so much a horror anime but is very sci-fi, violent and shounen-y. If you can't watch something with a little blood then (esp. cause of Wei, if you watch, you'll know what I mean) I'm afraid you may have to miss out on the awesome.

Anyway, the mask isn't permanantly on Hei's face and I highly recomend the series (the manga is different from the anime and I believe there is both a shojo and senein version)
PIe
PIe
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2070
Transforms into : The Goddamn Batman
Registration date : 2009-04-09

Darker than Black ? Vide
Back to top Go down
http://Personified-Insanity.deviantart.com

Post By DeltaBeta. 19/02/10, 09:39 am

And dem Lee Shen Shun collarbones~
DeltaBeta
DeltaBeta
Tophat

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Darker than Black ? Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By RainbowMoonDust. 19/02/10, 09:52 am

Wiki is your friend. nodnod Lennon (Icyrose) knows a lot about this anime, so try asking him, he explains things in great detail and is good at giving anime reviews too. nodnod
RainbowMoonDust
RainbowMoonDust
fraggle rock

Number of posts : 1480
Transforms into : Goddess of mischief
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Darker than Black ? Vide
Back to top Go down
http://rainbowmoondust.livejournal.com/

Post By IcyRose. 19/02/10, 01:51 pm

I love Darker than BLACK. Although the manga is different from the anime, depending on which one you're reading.

There are two manga, one is an alternate retelling of the anime and the other, Darker than BLACK Shikkoku no Hana, is the sequel to the anime that happens before the 2nd season, Gemini of the Meteor.

Anyways, Darker than BLACK is an action series, the anime came before the manga. It takes place in a world where an unexplained phenomena occured which lead to an area to emerge in Tokyo which was later referred to as Hell's Gate. The area itself is unsafe due to the mysterious environment which is noted to be very unstable. Along with the emergence of the gate came special people called Contractors and Dolls.

Contractors are people gifted with superpowers at the cost of their emotional line of thinking (not to say they are emotionless, they're basically as emotional as the Organisation in Kingdom Hearts), in addition to this every time they use their powers they have to fulfill a renumeration which is their contract payment for using their powers. For example, the first contractor we see in the anime has the power to nullify gravity but at that expense he has to break his fingers each time he uses his powers.

Dolls are slightly different in that they have no emotion (as opposed to being able to think emotionally like contractors) and are blind, but are able to see via spectres, which are basically a surveillance spirit they can channel with via contact with a type of transperent surface. For example, the main girl, Yin, is a doll who sees through her spectres when she is in contract with water which can emerge anywhere within her influence along as there is water.

Finally, the sky has disappeared and been replaced with a fake one in which the stars in the sky correspond to the activities of a contractor assigned to it. The stars shine brightly when the assigned contractor uses their powers and fall when the contractor dies.

Anyways, the series focuses on a black ops team working for a mysterious Syndicate as they perform tasks ranging from retrieving special items and assassinations. The team consists of Hei, the famed Black Reaper assigned the star BK201, a contractor who obviously wears a black, hence the name, and wears a mask while he goes on missions since he is essentially an assassin. His powers appear to be electrical manipulation. Yin, a doll who sees via contact with water, Huang, the only normal human on the team, he's an angry cynical man who issues the team's orders and Mao, another contractor who can transfer his mind into other bodies to take them over, he is also a talking cat.

I haven't read the manga asides from Shikkoku no Hana which is canon to the anime series and is still ongoing. So I haven't got any info on that. However I can recommend the anime which has a episodic format in that every 2 episodes is a mini-arc that is sort of self-contained while only contributing a tiny bit to the plot as it goes on. The season season, Gemini of the Meteor takes place years after the first season and has one continuous storyline. There is also an OVA currently airing called The Black Contractor which joins the two seasons together explaining some of the bigger plot developments that occured during.
IcyRose
IcyRose
lucky*

Number of posts : 1142
Transforms into : That Dark Handsome Swordsman
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Darker than Black ? Vide
Back to top Go down
http://roseandblossom.deviantart.com

Post By Guest. 20/02/10, 12:12 pm

Personified Insanity wrote:
it isn't so much a horror anime but is very sci-fi, violent and shounen-y. If you can't watch something with a little blood then

I LOVE blood ! Is liking this anime already Razz

Personified Insanity wrote:

Anyway, the mask isn't permanantly on Hei's face and I highly recomend the series (the manga is different from the anime and I believe there is both a shojo and senein version)

Oh awesome, thanks. (=

Thanks for the review IcyRose and thanks for the replies everybody Like a Star @ heaven

Will mark this as solved !

Darker than Black ? Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Mr freelance. 26/07/12, 10:10 am

Darker than black is anime series that doesn't have the love and respect that it deserves Crying Flail
Mr freelance
Mr freelance
Le grande

Number of posts : 174
Transforms into : The man who watches the world burn
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Darker than Black ? Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Merlin. 12/09/12, 01:54 pm

IIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCCYYYYYYYYYYRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSEEEEEEE

is that you in your display picture thing? I am super keen to cosplay Hei, but totally havent gotten round to it and have no experience really.

Halp :3

Merlin
Unexplanatory

Number of posts : 35
Transforms into : A cat :3
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Darker than Black ? Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By kyuuketsuki-hina. 13/09/12, 02:48 pm

Darker than black, what can I say?
PURE AWESOMENESS!!!! Crying Flail

kyuuketsuki-hina
Pinky

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-09-05

Darker than Black ? Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By IcyRose. 14/09/12, 09:09 am

I'd like to point out that this topic is VERY old and has in fact been necroed twice and would kindly like to point out the forum rules regarding necroing in that you should make note of the last time the topic has been posted in before replying.

@Merlin Yes that is me in my avatar as Hei, I have PM'd you any tips I felt I could give you.
IcyRose
IcyRose
lucky*

Number of posts : 1142
Transforms into : That Dark Handsome Swordsman
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Darker than Black ? Vide
Back to top Go down
http://roseandblossom.deviantart.com

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content