Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Should I still be able to use my sewing machine?

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Post By Guest. 28/01/10, 04:33 am

Well I'm really clumsy and I kinda dropped a screw into, and into I mean INSIDE the sewing machine >> I've been trying to find it but I can't see it at all, I tried tilting the machine and I could hear it at first but now it doesnt sound like it'll budge. Should I still be able to use my sewing mahine? Does anyone know how to get the screw out?

Should I still be able to use my sewing machine? Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: Should I still be able to use my sewing machine?
Post By Guest. 28/01/10, 04:47 am

If the screw it caught up in the mechanism, you could do some serious damage if you run the machine. Try turning the handle on the side really slowly, see if you can get through a few stitches. If anything jams up or makes an unusual sound STOP, back it up, and don't try again until you've gotten the screw out.

Depending on the make and model, you should be able to take apart most of the peices in the mechanism to get the screw out. Putting it back together properly is considerably harder, even with practice. sweatdrop
Your manual should have some helpful diagrams. If you're not confident, maybe leave it to someone who has done it before.
Most machines have a metal plate that can be removed with a screwdriver (or coin!) where the feeddogs and needle meet. Removing this exposes a lot of the important mechanisms. Or start from the bottom - remove the bobbin and holder (usually designed to be quite easy!) and see how you go.

But while you're in there fiddling around in there, give it a clean out. A lot of link and loose threads get down in the mechanism, and they can cause problems if they build up to extremes. This lint could be muffling the sound of the screw as well Very Happy

ETA: if you're breaking needles regularly, check the thread tension, or check you're using the right weight needles. A peice of thread apparently goes through the neede something like 1000 times before it makes into the fabric so there is a LOT of tension there.

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 28/01/10, 05:10 am

Actually the whole reason why this happened was because I took out the
metal plate, I was trying to screw the metal plate back in when the
screw went out of place and fell into the machine.

Well I've been shaking the sewing machine (yes, srsly) for a while now and i can't hear the screw anymore... I'm getting worried now >> I might try to take the machine apart orz

EDIT: I almost lost the other screw as well >> the machine seems to be working fine but I can't help but worry that the screw is going to cause major problems

EDIT2: I am convinced god hates me, I dropped the other srew somewhere on the ground and can't find it... today srsly sucks

Back to top Go down

Post By jpwise. 28/01/10, 06:47 am

You'll definitely want to find both screws. Loose screws in 1) mechanical appliances, and 2) electrical mechanical appliances do no good.

In electrical appliances if they get in the wrong place they can short things out.
In mechanical appliances if they get in the wrong place, particularly with moving parts, it can jam things up and in worse cases break things..
jpwise
jpwise
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down
http://gallery.of.geek.nz

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosplay New Zealand :: Cosplay :: General Cosplay Discussion-