Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Under the Mountain (Spoiler Free)

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Under the Mountain (Spoiler Free)
Post By Guest. 17/12/09, 11:48 am

OMG Squee.

I read this book when I was about 7, and me and my best freind promptly decided we'd try to be telepathic. We literally stood at oppositte ends of the feild trying to think to each other.
(We were the weird kids, ok? Don't even ask what happened after we found the book called "Trypswitch" and what we thought of "The Craft".)

They made a tv series aaaaaaaages ago, and I never watched it. Then they made this movie.

OMG SQUEE.

I haven't read the book in over 15 years, but from that distance it isn't very faithful in the little details. Little things changed from the book, like the little bag Rachel kept her rock in while it didn't like her, and that she healed herself with the rock after the Wilberforce attacked her, not Jones at all. Things like death and who gets involved and the complexity of the plotline (mucho symplified). The simplified plot also emphasised Theo, where my memories of the book emphasise Rachel.

But that and one midly botched wire-work effect are the only criticisms I have of it. There was all of the OMG Auckland - I'm sure I recognise the house of one of my buddies! And the dialogue was updated beautifully. This book is 30 odd years old, but the movie is set in the present day, so they had to do something. They made Auckland look absolutely beautiful. NO GREEN FILTER!! OH JOY!!
And the OMG, thats the real TV3 news presenter, and OMG, thats a real Maori man playing a real Maori policeman (how many times have we laughed hysterically as our actors overseas get made to play Arabs?). The accents were very odd - by which I mean they weren't really strong New Zealand accents, but they weren't those strange non-accents we kiwis often force when we act. Sounded really natural.

I took the 9 year old neice, and it was scary enough that she watched some parts through her fingers, but not confusing at all. She told me about all the important plot points as the movie progressed (it was only our family in the theatre!) - she noticed the telepathy immediately. And after I reassured her that Auckland really truely has volcanos in it, and that they're really truely THOSE volcanos she was really impressed.
And then Sam Neill explained about the aliens living under the volcanos and she asked "Is that true as well?" I <3 my neice. Short enough that she sat through it, but didn't feel rushed.

All in all - 5 stars out of five!

Under the Mountain (Spoiler Free) Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: Under the Mountain (Spoiler Free)
Post By Guest. 17/12/09, 12:07 pm

Read the book when was younger too, but was unsure what the movie was going be/ turn out like but now reading your review is really happy about it.
The TV Series was really terribly scary, and that's why is kind of- not keen to see/ watch the movie, because yeah the TV series was just- Nightmare Fuel, basically.. xD

Would read the book again, but think lost it. Though it was a good book ! ^-^

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 17/12/09, 12:13 pm

I hope it does well. I wonder who owns the rights to Half-Men of O, that would probably adapt beautifully. Expensive though, much more expensive than this one would have been Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post By sakuramiyabi. 17/12/09, 12:15 pm

lol i remember squeeing when i saw that a movie had come out

i like knew immeadiatly it was under the mountain when i heard the name wilberforce XDD

ive read this book so many times its awesome <33
sakuramiyabi
sakuramiyabi
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3941
Transforms into : Melted pool of something
Registration date : 2008-01-09

Back to top Go down
http://sakuramiyabi019.deviantart.com

Post By Basaka. 17/12/09, 12:50 pm