Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Stargate Universe

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Stargate Universe
Post By Retro Scifi. 13/11/09, 12:37 am

The third show in the Stargate franchise. We're 7 episodes in and I'm still watching. Just.

I hope it gets going soon. I'm feeling very SciFi starved right now, which is why I'm watching this.

Anyone else seen it yet? Have an opinion?

Spoiler:
Retro Scifi
Retro Scifi
seXAH <3

Number of posts : 85
Transforms into : a golden gelatinousness gloop. In a bucket.
Registration date : 2009-11-11

Stargate Universe Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: Stargate Universe
Post By TinTango. 17/11/09, 04:54 pm

I've seen it and I totally agree with your spoiler comment. Predictable with a capital "P". Somehow it seems less like SciFi and more like 'Survivor... Lost in Space' without the giant robot going "Danger Will Robinson!Danger!" Though a giant robot would make it a lot cooler... and more SciFi.

Spoiler:
That is sooooo Star Trek IV- can't they think of anything original? What... they didn't want to detonate their warp core? - Oh wait that was also repeated in the 2009 movie, too recent gosh darnit!

I too will be watching this, in the vain hope that it picks up. IMO what they need is an enemy- it's been done before, but how about some parasitic life form that starts feeding off the crew? Otherwise it really will turn into Survivor with factions and alliances -in which case the Destiny may as well be named the H.M.S. Bounty.

Last edited by TinTango on 17/11/09, 05:02 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : ST humour added)
TinTango
TinTango
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1278
Transforms into : whelmed. Not over or under. Just whelmed.
Registration date : 2008-11-02

Stargate Universe Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By azeria. 18/11/09, 03:09 am

STARGATE SG-1 WAS AWESOME

but yea, that's the only one I've watched

x3
azeria
azeria
ACB Queen '10

Number of posts : 3226
Transforms into : Rinatron
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Stargate Universe Vide
Back to top Go down
http://azeriacosplay.tumblr.com/

Post By Retro Scifi. 18/11/09, 03:25 am

Atlantis was pretty good. Not as good as SG1, but still better than SGU. I thought the ending was pretty lame though.

Waaa, why is there no decent scifi on at the moment? There's only Fringe and the occasional Dr Who to look forward to.
Retro Scifi
Retro Scifi
seXAH <3

Number of posts : 85
Transforms into : a golden gelatinousness gloop. In a bucket.
Registration date : 2009-11-11

Stargate Universe Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By CMKMStephens. 18/11/09, 05:47 am

Atlantis didn't end, it was cancelled Stargate Universe 65988

Bascially a 'screw the several future episodes and parallel universes promising a multitude of new and interesting things'
CMKMStephens
CMKMStephens
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 634
Transforms into : Little Nellie
Registration date : 2008-04-13

Stargate Universe Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 18/11/09, 06:03 am

I haven't heard anything to encourage me to watch this, and I was the biggest SG-1 Fangirl I've ever met for a while there.

Stargate Universe Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By creature124. 18/11/09, 10:53 am

For all it's failings, I am enjoying SGU. It is no Atlantis, and certainly no SG-1, but it is worth watching, at least for me.

The major failing I find is not predictability - I can deal with that. No, I don't really like the change in TONE. Even during action scenes, SG-1 and Atlantis were almost lighthearted - jokes were plentiful ect. They have cut that right out of Universe - it is dark, it is gritty. I actually think it really wants to be like Battlestar Galactica, but hasn't quite managed.

Another thing to note. SG-1 and Atlantis were filled with tie ins to things that grounded it to reality. The Go'uld were the gods of egypt and various milky way societies were transplants of various lost and dead earth cultures, all explained and sensical. And Atlantis was as the myth goes - a city of wonder that was lost beneath the waves and abandoned in the face of great catastrophe. Universe lacks this - the premise is more like "Hurp Durp, we are on a SHIP, and it is going REALLY FAST, and we CAN'T GET HOME and we must SURVIVE". Its one big cliche, with nothing to tie it to the real world.

I am holding out hope. Once they stop merely surviving, start to get things in order and indroduce an enemy, it may well pick up. But if that doesn't happen sometime soonish, the show is doomed.

Also - Faster Than Light travel without being in hyperspace. F U SGU, F U. I will not be content until you tell me how the Destiny is ignoring relativity.
creature124
creature124
Winner of the Keen Designer Award

Number of posts : 1948
Transforms into : Trollmon
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Stargate Universe Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 19/11/09, 12:44 am

SG-1 they alwasy tried to stay within the laws of physics. Bent them, twisted them, sidled around them Stargate Universe 177888 all ninja styles, but they didn't tend to break them. If they are going FTL without some kind of explanation, it's GRRR. Still see no reason to watch, even esteemed creature's good opinion of it.

Stargate Universe Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By creature124. 19/11/09, 02:37 am

I know what you mean. I will certainly think less of SGU until Destiny's FTL drive is explained to me. I mean, I wouldn't feel so sour if they had added two lines of dialogue, along the lines off:
Eli: "FTL without hyperspace? Isn't that supposed to be impossible?
Rush: "Yes. *insert condecending Rushism here*"

But no, they couldn't even give me that ;-;

I say you should give it a chance korny. There are only 8 episodes out at the moment, so watch them - if you decide at the end that there is truly no hope, then you can rest vindicated.
creature124
creature124

Stargate Universe Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 19/11/09, 03:14 am

creature124 wrote:
I know what you mean. I will certainly think less of SGU until Destiny's FTL drive is explained to me. I mean, I wouldn't feel so sour if they had added two lines of dialogue, along the lines off:
Eli: "FTL without hyperspace? Isn't that supposed to be impossible?
Rush: "Yes. *insert condecending Rushism here*"

But no, they couldn't even give me that ;-;

I say you should give it a chance korny. There are only 8 episodes out at the moment, so watch them - if you decide at the end that there is truly no hope, then you can rest vindicated.

But Atlantis burned... the baaaaad it buuuuuuuurned. I couldn't get past the first explosion due to the badness. And then they turned Carter into some kind Angelina Jolie badass. *sob* Where did my classy lady go?
Maybe After The Thesis, in that mythical time of joy and light and happiness I will mission through them.
Maybe even cough up for the $400 everything pack at Whitcoulls ....

Stargate Universe Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By creature124. 19/11/09, 03:18 am

There is still no excuse for uninformed criticism :3 Watch it, so that you know exactly what you are talking about when you NERDRAEG.
creature124
creature124

Stargate Universe Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Sockcat. 03/01/10, 03:14 pm

Hmmm... *is confused by above conversation*

So! Stargate is cool. Especially since someone told me it was cancelled. Why is the SA love not spreading?
Sockcat
Sockcat
Le grande

Number of posts : 186
Transforms into : a half-selkie
Registration date : 2009-04-11

Stargate Universe Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 04/01/10, 12:11 am

SGU Sucks ass, yes thats right I said what you guys are saying in 3 words.

I have hated it since they announced it/its plot...

I have watched a few eps, namely the pilot and the "Slingshot" ep (the later only because I was staying at a Mates house during 'Geddon and he made me watch it, though he didn't like it either)

God, as a HUGE Stargate Fan(Has all seasons, including the 3 movies) I am horrified by this spin off, its not even the subtle rip off that some SciFi shows are, its blatantly-in-your-face-we-dont-think-you-will-see-it-because-you-are-daft Ripping Off EVERYTHING!!

//that is all

SS

Stargate Universe Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Kitten Slave. 04/01/10, 12:27 am

Dunno, I will concede that originally (the first 5 or 6 episodes) I despised SGU. Despised it with a passion, but since I was bored, I watched it.

I wont say that I love it now, but they did at least capture enough of my curiosity with the last couple of episodes that I do kinda wanna know how the heck they end THAT.
You must keep in mind that the first handful of episodes of any new series is to introduce you to the environment and concept, and to see what audience reception is like, not to give you the worlds best story in one shot.

Getting used to the "gritty" side of it took a bit coming from the previous stargates, but ok, considering my above statements, Ill bite - now keep me interested.
It feels a little bit like they have made a SG/BSG attempt, but Im willing to see how it ends for now.

The thing with the previous stargates, is that while they were awesome, over time and between the two, they started to re-use concepts and episode themes. So I can see how SGU is an attempt at something "different".

My main "complaint": Rush about makes the show, if not for him, I woulds have dropped it, give the others personalities please.

nodnod
Kitten Slave
Kitten Slave
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2977
Transforms into : A horny school girl.
Registration date : 2007-12-04

Stargate Universe Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content