Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Red denim?

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Red denim?
Post By Guest. 27/07/09, 09:41 am

Anyone know where I could buy it? I found something that was denim-like, but it doesn't really have the pale coloured grain lines or general faded bits that make it actually look like denim. I bought some anyway and tried bleaching it, but the colour just got paler overall. Apparently washing it with little rocks it should work, but I'm not sure my old washing machine would survive. ):
Thought getting pale denim (no idea where I'm going to find that either) and dyeing it red might work, but idk.

Any ideas?

Red denim? Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: Red denim?
Post By Li-Bai. 28/07/09, 11:30 am

Did you look in Spotlight and Arthur Toye's and the Fabric Warehouse?

Red denim, red denim, hmmm... I dunno about red. Denim, yes, but I dunno red. As an alternative (I always do this, since I lack money to go all out sadly) I'd suggest using red drill or twill instead (I chuu~! drill/twill). Both thick and durable and not too heavy (well, depends on how much you use) and one of them has the grains or similar.
One has a shiny side. I get the two confused so I'm not sure xD; I *think* twill is the one with the shiny side. My AC!Tifa cosplay was made with twill. Or drill. One of them >__>

I'm not 100% certain about shoving rocks IN the washing machine, old or not XD It might just end up catching on the fabric and ruining something potentially. Pumice comes to mind for some reason. Rub the fabric with pumice maybe? idk xD;

If you're going to dye, it'll most definitely be messy - And also if you're going to dye a lighter denim, wash it out over and over and over and over and over again before you start to dye it, otherwise the denim dye in the fabric already will mix with red and it will be FUSCHIA. gonk

(I-it sort of makes me glad Hotaru is all cotton-based :'D Red XIII though.... F-fur?! D'8 -ded- ...Hey, all my cosplays next year are 'red' 8D)
Li-Bai
Li-Bai
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2251
Transforms into : a lover and a renegade fighter.
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Red denim? Vide
Back to top Go down
http://li-bai.deviantart.com

Post By Cassiel. 28/07/09, 02:09 pm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Crafts/Fabric/Other/auction-230435267.htm Ask this person for a re-list?

xD sorry, that's all that comes to mind.
Cassiel
Cassiel
champaign supernova~

Number of posts : 820
Transforms into : Eating pudding.
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Red denim? Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Grassangel. 31/07/09, 05:55 pm

Sandpaper also apparently works for getting lighter bits to appear. So does attacking it with a nail file. (It does also weaken the fabric, but so will every other aging technique you try on it.)
Grassangel
Grassangel
Superman

Number of posts : 273
Transforms into : Pâtisserie extraordinaire
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Red denim? Vide
Back to top Go down
http://grass-angel.livejournal.com

Post By secretasianman. 31/07/09, 06:40 pm

Red denim as in red denim JEANS??
secretasianman
secretasianman
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 627
Transforms into : your mum
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Red denim? Vide
Back to top Go down
http://www.socialmaterial.com

Post By Li-Bai. 01/08/09, 02:09 am

XD Red denim as in LIKE jeans not FOR jeans :B
Li-Bai
Li-Bai
Sushi ;O

Red denim? Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Rolly. 01/08/09, 06:38 am

In those jean factories they achieve the 3D 'faded' rough worn look by putting the jeans in a big as sideways barrel, add round rock pebbles, and then spin the barrel round and around. I'm not sure if they add water, I can't remember. :/
Rolly
Rolly
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2918
Transforms into : a stylish shoe for the blind earthbender
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Red denim? Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 02/08/09, 03:15 am

Li-Bai wrote:
Did you look in Spotlight and Arthur Toye's and the Fabric Warehouse?

Red denim, red denim, hmmm... I dunno about red. Denim, yes, but I dunno red. As an alternative (I always do this, since I lack money to go all out sadly) I'd suggest using red drill or twill instead (I chuu~! drill/twill). Both thick and durable and not too heavy (well, depends on how much you use) and one of them has the grains or similar.
One has a shiny side. I get the two confused so I'm not sure xD; I *think* twill is the one with the shiny side. My AC!Tifa cosplay was made with twill. Or drill. One of them >__>

I'm not 100% certain about shoving rocks IN the washing machine, old or not XD It might just end up catching on the fabric and ruining something potentially. Pumice comes to mind for some reason. Rub the fabric with pumice maybe? idk xD;

If you're going to dye, it'll most definitely be messy - And also if you're going to dye a lighter denim, wash it out over and over and over and over and over again before you start to dye it, otherwise the denim dye in the fabric already will mix with red and it will be FUSCHIA. gonk

Okay, cool. I'll look for some drill or trill then. It'd still be pretty tough to get it in red though, yeah? Pumice could work, but it'd give essentially the same effect as sandpaper, right? Or would the lightening be less even?

I've given up on the dying because I can't find any really pale denim. Denim that isn't black or blue is really hard to find. J:

Grassangel wrote:
Sandpaper also apparently works for getting lighter bits to appear. So does attacking it with a nail file. (It does also weaken the fabric, but so will every other aging technique you try on it.)

Yeah, I tried those - but all they did was make the fabric get a bit paler. I couldn't get it so that there was actually a large difference between the sandpaper'd bit and the not sandpaper'd bit. I don't think I'd be able to get it to look very natural anyway. :C

Rolly wrote:
In those jean factories they achieve the 3D 'faded' rough worn look by putting the jeans in a big as sideways barrel, add round rock pebbles, and then spin the barrel round and around. I'm not sure if they add water, I can't remember. :/
Sweet, I'm totally going to try this. I don't have any barrels, but yeah I do have a large round roll-able container someplace which should work.

Red denim? Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Li-Bai. 02/08/09, 08:50 am

juxtapoz wrote:
Okay, cool. I'll look for some drill or trill then. It'd still be pretty tough to get it in red though, yeah? Pumice could work, but it'd give essentially the same effect as sandpaper, right? Or would the lightening be less even?

I've given up on the dying because I can't find any really pale denim. Denim that isn't black or blue is really hard to find. J:

I dunno, I think I looked at some red twill/drill briefly when it came to the construction of my Genesis cosplay (ended up using some other fabric but y'know) and I think I looked at some for my not-started-yet Kunsel cosplay as well. It's probably there, you just need to look I guess. On the twill/drill thing, my mum says they're very similar so it probably doesn't matter too much about which one you get. :)

When you think about it, the same goes with every other fabric/colour too - there when you don't need it, disappeared by the time you need it! But... I probably shouldn't jinx it for you xD; The good thing about twill/drill is that they're not too expensive either (but if you have a VIP card and you're at Spotlight then you'd best to use it. Your wallet may love you for it. >w>)

If you're at Fabric Warehouse they sort by colour instead of at Spotlight which is sorted by the type of fabric (which is... an interesting sorting system to say the least. I don't know if it's convenient or inconvenient! gonk I guess I prefer by fabric...) so if you go there you might find something you want quicker perhaps. Razz
Li-Bai
Li-Bai
Sushi ;O

Red denim? Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By deceptivemagick. 30/08/09, 02:56 am

Haha my flatmate has red red red jeans from jay jays, they are win!
deceptivemagick
deceptivemagick
lucky*

Number of posts : 1115
Transforms into : an epic fire breathing dragon
Registration date : 2009-04-13

Red denim? Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Red denim? Vide