Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Whip?

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Whip?
Post By Rocky. 10/02/09, 12:15 am

I need a whip for one of my cosplays.
Thing is, I believe that whips are expensive, plus I dont think it would be a good idea to walk round a con (or anywhere, for that matter) with a real whip.

I had the idea of buying a whole lot of ribbon, and plating it together the attaching it to a stick-type thing to make something that resembles a whip.
Good? Bad?

Any other ideas?
Rocky
Rocky
Winner of the "Wait, what did he just say?" Award

Number of posts : 1656
Registration date : 2008-04-30

Whip? Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: Whip?
Post By Madam Madhatter. 10/02/09, 09:14 am

Making one out of plated ribbon sounds good.
Look at different ways of plating it (mabey look at how they plat the leather for wips cause they are round, then treat the ribbon like the leather strips.)
You could also look at some thick twine or mabey platting wool.
Depends on the look you need.
One website says cut one end off a skipping rope and paint it brown...
You can also buy "toy whips" like the India Jones one.
It looks REALLY fake though
Madam Madhatter
Madam Madhatter
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1044
Location : Raxicoricofallapatorius ....eer... I mean Christchurch
Transforms into : Reno! <3
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Whip? Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By neimhaille. 10/02/09, 02:22 pm

Is this for the contest? I'm still trying to work out a way to define whips for the contest as I myself know how dangerous they can be having handled on and having one for my own costuming. To make mine safe I am taking the popper off (this is the thin cord tail that travels at super sonic speeds and can cut quite deeply) and will have the entire thing wrapped around me the whole time. I am also not wearing it the day of the contest when I have my official judging hat on.

If it is for the contest and it's not a secret feel free to discuss it here, if you are wanting to keep it a surprise please email us at armageddon.cosplay@gmail.com to let us know what you want to do with it and I can email Bill and Adele and other official peoples about safety guidelines. Can't give advice on what to make it from just what not to do- no unfair advantage.

I do say kudos to anyone replicating a real weapon from other materials. It's very cool.
neimhaille
neimhaille
Armageddon Cosplay Contest Judge

Number of posts : 661
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Whip? Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By JVCA. 10/02/09, 02:48 pm

One thing I always thought plausible though never tested for making a whip was duct tape. o_O If you're making a black whip, just use black duct tape. The only issue I can spot with ribbon is how shiny it is (though then again, I think duct tape might be too...)
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Number of posts : 7122
Transforms into : a crotchety old woman
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Whip? Vide
Back to top Go down
http://www.jvca.net.nz

Post By 4EyedKing. 11/02/09, 02:43 pm

The ribbon is good or some other material u can plait. i have tried at home with scraps one time cause it was fun. the only thing is if u use some thing like ribbon it will A be to shiny and B have no wait so it wont move at all like a real whip. If u leave a bit of flappy material at the end u can also get the snap sound without the danger trust me i hit myself enough times it dont hurt too bad.
4EyedKing
4EyedKing
paoupu fruit

Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Whip? Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Madam Madhatter. 12/02/09, 06:42 am

What about strips of material instead of ribbon.
It would be a pain cause you have to cut it into strips and you would have to pick a material that wont fray but it wont be as shiney as ribbon - lighter and easier to bend as well
Madam Madhatter
Madam Madhatter
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1044
Location : Raxicoricofallapatorius ....eer... I mean Christchurch
Transforms into : Reno! <3
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Whip? Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By 4EyedKing. 12/02/09, 02:53 pm

does work the thing is wen using any it works better if the pieces narrow toward one end it makes the entire whip go to the tip instead of an uniform length the whole way.
4EyedKing
4EyedKing
paoupu fruit

Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Whip? Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Rocky. 13/02/09, 12:37 am

Thanks for all the tips!
I'll have to buy some stuff and experiment soon.

And, I dont think it will be for the contest.
Rocky
Rocky
Winner of the "Wait, what did he just say?" Award

Number of posts : 1656
Registration date : 2008-04-30

Whip? Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Rolly. 15/02/09, 02:47 pm

I was browsing through this member's random listings and s/he has whips for sale!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Party-festive-supplies/Other/auction-202969952.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Party-festive-supplies/Other/auction-202970048.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Party-festive-supplies/Other/auction-202969822.htm

You can always repaint it if it's the wrong colour...
Rolly
Rolly
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2918
Transforms into : a stylish shoe for the blind earthbender
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Whip? Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By akasha_ishtar. 25/02/09, 11:41 am

If you have the ability to buy online I have found the most amazingly real looking whip. It’s a proper costume whip, based on a bullwhip, it’s six feet long. If ya needed the colour changed you could always paint/spray paint it up to what you need. Anywho where is the link for ya: http://www.anytimecostumes.com/ecommerce/control/product/~product_id=005725130
akasha_ishtar
akasha_ishtar
Pinky

Number of posts : 16
Transforms into : A side of Jericho
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Whip? Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Whip? Vide