Started Making the Shield Today!
Here's a progress picture of it. It's not completed yet, and looks a bit crappy at the moment (but that'll change soon!). Also yes, ignore the fact that I'm in my PJs.
I started with drawing the template of the shield onto a piece of newspaper. I drew only one side, then creating a mirrored version of it so that it was exactly symmetrical. Then drew around it onto the shield.
I managed to find a craft knife (yay, let's give me a sharp object) and with some difficulty cut the bugger out.
Sand papering off the rough edges was the next thing to do. The edges had become a bit frayed and I wanted to prevent this happening so I coated it with gesso to seal it.
I painted the back silver (which I plan to redo because I didn't have any spray paint at the time, and I don't like how it's turned out.)
Whoops. Now the front is speckled with paint. But it doesn't matter as I'll just paint over it and I have to weather it up once I'm finished anyway.
Figuring out how wide the lines should be was easier than I thought! I realised that since there are 9 lines, just measure the board across and divide the width by 9. Simple.
Then came the fun bit of painting it red! I decided to start straight away even though I haven't brought masking tape, or the white or blue paint yet. I'll have to go over with a second coat next time.
So far it's looking a little rough, but it's progressing well!