Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

SANCon 2013. What do you want to see [Christchurch, September 20-22nd]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What activites do you want to see at SANCon.
A costume competition Saturday/Sunday?
SANCon 2013.  What do you want to see [Christchurch, September 20-22nd] Vote_lcap10%SANCon 2013.  What do you want to see [Christchurch, September 20-22nd] Vote_rcap
 10% [ 4 ]
A screening of the "Cosplayer Nation" documentary
SANCon 2013.  What do you want to see [Christchurch, September 20-22nd] Vote_lcap3%SANCon 2013.  What do you want to see [Christchurch, September 20-22nd] Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
An artists alley, with an art/cosplay photo competition
SANCon 2013.  What do you want to see [Christchurch, September 20-22nd] Vote_lcap8%SANCon 2013.  What do you want to see [Christchurch, September 20-22nd] Vote_rcap
 8% [ 3 ]
Costume photography sessions
SANCon 2013.  What do you want to see [Christchurch, September 20-22nd] Vote_lcap8%SANCon 2013.  What do you want to see [Christchurch, September 20-22nd] Vote_rcap
 8% [ 3 ]
A Filk (fan music/singing) session/evening
SANCon 2013.  What do you want to see [Christchurch, September 20-22nd] Vote_lcap3%SANCon 2013.  What do you want to see [Christchurch, September 20-22nd] Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
A session prothetics/wounds
SANCon 2013.  What do you want to see [Christchurch, September 20-22nd] Vote_lcap5%SANCon 2013.  What do you want to see [Christchurch, September 20-22nd] Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
A session on costume photography and posing
 3% [ 1 ]
A session on Fabrics, Patterning?
SANCon 2013.  What do you want to see [Christchurch, September 20-22nd] Vote_lcap5%SANCon 2013.  What do you want to see [Christchurch, September 20-22nd] Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
Historical garment construction
 3% [ 1 ]
Historical Japanese garments and construction
 5% [ 2 ]
Leather-working
SANCon 2013.  What do you want to see [Christchurch, September 20-22nd] Vote_lcap0%SANCon 2013.  What do you want to see [Christchurch, September 20-22nd] Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Prop and Armour building, Vacuum Forming?
SANCon 2013.  What do you want to see [Christchurch, September 20-22nd] Vote_lcap10%SANCon 2013.  What do you want to see [Christchurch, September 20-22nd] Vote_rcap
 10% [ 4 ]
Introduction to the process of cosplay
 3% [ 1 ]
Metalworking, Jewellery making.
 3% [ 1 ]
Pyrography (burning patterns into leather/wood.)
 3% [ 1 ]
How to draw comics/manga
 3% [ 1 ]
Creating Skits
 5% [ 2 ]
Action and fight scenes (in motion and posing.)
 3% [ 1 ]
An introduction to historical re-enactment
 3% [ 1 ]
Creating a persona (historical/steam, etc.)
 3% [ 1 ]
Cosplay etiquette
 5% [ 2 ]
A meet other cosplayers/photographers session
 5% [ 2 ]
Overseas conventions
 3% [ 1 ]
Basic electronics (Lighting/noise/motors, etc.)
 3% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 39

Poll closed

MessageAuthor
Post By Highlander. 24/07/13, 09:33 am

From SANCon: "we have two style of events that we are broadly looking for SANCon: workshops and panels."
They are looking for one cosplay workshop and one panel. However if we really get behind it we could have our own room all con.
They have already earmarked a makeup and a chainmaillie workshop

Not strictly cosplay, but they have also indicated it's possible to have an "artist alley" if there is demand. And if so why not an art/photo competition?

It would be interesting to see if we would get interest in a filk/musical evening/session.
* Filk is fan made songs about whatever (origins in Sc-Fi conventions).
* However we could broaden it to include favourite theme songs, original compositions of songs from series, dances and skits.
* This would only go ahead if we have enough interest.

So we really need your feedback on what you want, if you can teach anything, if you know someone who can teach, or may be interested in offering prizes, or judging. So vote on the poll above, and then post any thoughts, or other ideas, you have. I have had to combine some options because of lack of space in the poll. So post which option you want.

I will feed back all info to SANCon ASAP, and work on approaching resource people as soon as possible, within the next two weeks or so if possible, to co-ordinate what we can actually offer. I'm not sure how many cosplayers will go. But in ChCh it is almost a case of having to put good things on for cosplayers, and then they can hear about it and make the effort to come next year. But if we are to arrange people to teach them we need to know some people will turn up. Unfortunately I have been busy, so time is a real issue.

Last edited by Highlander on 22/08/13, 03:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Highlander
Highlander
dark CHii

Number of posts : 4033
Transforms into : This stylish saffron shirt.
Registration date : 2009-05-02

SANCon 2013.  What do you want to see [Christchurch, September 20-22nd] Vide
Back to top Go down
http://skydrive.live.com/#cid=23D41AFD1F51E1F4

Re: SANCon 2013. What do you want to see [Christchurch, September 20-22nd]
Post By Highlander. 29/07/13, 04:20 pm

So far we have very minor interest. I am not going to ask people to turn up and teach stuff if we are not sure people will turn up. So keep voting if you haven't already. And post comments.

There is going to be a cosplay competition, but no one has said if they want it Saturday or Sunday or both.
The most interest is in the prop and armour workshop. But it's only three people, so vote or lose it.
There is a bit of interest in many other sessions, some of which wouldn't take a lot of effort, some of which would. So keep voting.

I do have news about the possibilities of the art side, although all unconfirmed. We may have an Artist Alley, and maybe an art contest? Drawfest has offered to do live digital art demos, drawing workshops, an art talk/Q&A panel or even an open draw-meet.
Highlander
Highlander
dark CHii

Back to top Go down

Post By Highlander. 10/08/13, 02:38 pm

Update on what I am thinking for SANCon in Christchurch in September.
Please give me feedback?
1) A cosplay photo and an artists contest.
2) A cosplay contest (What is the best day for this)
3) A workshop on armour and prop making.
4) Do we want to have photographers available to book sessions with?
5) Do we want to view the cosplayer Nation documentary.
6) There is the odd other session I can easily run or where videos are available. Introduction to cosplay, Cosplay Etiquette, leather working and pyrography?

Thoughts? Know anyone who can help, or who can donate prizes?
Highlander
Highlander
dark CHii

Back to top Go down

Post By sakura_petals. 14/08/13, 02:33 pm

I like the idea of being able to get someone professional take photos of my Sera Myu cosplay - I've been dying for that even before I finished it. I'm not sure if I have anything to contribute but I'm pretty good at working out how to make complicated costumes easy for those who don't want to go the complicated route and go hard out (my co-workers ask my advise quite a lot when they have to dress up or have a special occasion for their kids/grand kids).

I love the idea of prop making, as the cosplay I'm hoping to work on has a few complicated props that I don't really know how to go about making. I'm also up for the leather working tutorial as the same cosplay has designs on her quiver strap that I have no idea how to go about getting the design onto said leather. Also if possible maybe easy metal working workshop? As I have to make weird shaped buckles and stuff.

Just had a brilliant idea about a group discussion on how to go about sourcing unusual material/how to make your own things for props/cosplay (of the unusual variety not just plain cotton fabric). Or maybe a bring along a idea/design/cosplay that you're having trouble with to bounce ideas off each other? I know that sometimes the forums don't work very well when trying to get help from others.
sakura_petals
sakura_petals
TEH WIZARD OF OZ.

Number of posts : 1503
Registration date : 2009-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post By Highlander. 14/08/13, 04:38 pm

Those are some good ideas.

I have some different props stuff I can talk about. I have IRONMAN bringing his suit along. I have talked to someone from the court theatre, and he is going to see if any 'professionals' are available. Plus I have someone else I am going to ask. So we can easily fill up the time available. And if people have different things to bring along then that is good. I am really only going to focus on the armour and prop workshop this year, because the feedback has been so lacking. If no one is going to turn up then why do anything? Especially if I have to ask someone in specially to teach it! I figure the armour and prop workshop has the best chance of succeeding. (Also it's a time issue).

The competition always happens. The photography competition will happen. I have only one photographer I know of who is available, and may do sessions? There is a make up session someone else has organised. Anything else I can do is likely to be something which is little effort. Like I have inquired about us getting a cosplay documentary.
Highlander
Highlander
dark CHii

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1