Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Need help beginning, costume building.

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Post By KeyboardGrinder. 03/12/12, 12:34 pm

Well I have never sewed I don't even own a machine but, I'm open to getting one and getting started. I can't even understand this lingo. Guy by the way! Soo uhh don't know where to start so shoot!
KeyboardGrinder
KeyboardGrinder
Soldier A

Number of posts : 10
Transforms into : The Dark Side Of The Moon
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Need help beginning, costume building.  Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: Need help beginning, costume building.
Post By Pura. 03/12/12, 02:07 pm

I think the best place to start would be getting a machine and then sewing things that just require straight lines, lol. Or do a few exercises to get used to sewing.

Buy like a simple male jacket pattern or something and go from there? Although pattern instructions can be really, really confusing some times ...

Like, I first sewed things like pencil cases, mini bean bags, etc. And patch work bags are really simple too (: Just square bits of fabric. And some times getting used to sewing 'lingo' can really help too. Like edge stitch, top stitch, under stitch, bagging out.

Get a book on sewing out from the library? Very Happy The Readers Digest Complete Guide to Sewing is a really really good book Razz Or even those 'softie' books, which give you the patterns to make little stuffed toys with could help you get to know your machine and how to sew, etc.
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post By Paul. 05/01/13, 01:18 pm

Getting someone to show you some basics is a good way to start.

Make simple things first.

Study clothing to see how it is put together.

Think very carefully about what you want to make to work out the shapes of the different parts and the order they would need to be assembled.

You can make your own patterns for things like jackets buy carefully tracing the pieces out of one you already own. Then modifying that base pattern to suit what you want.

Get scrap fabric cheaply, like old sheets. Then you can try things out with out much risk or expense (Thats what I do to test a pattern)
Paul
Paul
Almighty

Number of posts : 395
Transforms into : Pokemon Trainer
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Back to top Go down
http://www.oldvcr.tv

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosplay New Zealand :: Cosplay :: Costume Help & Critique-