Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

[JVCA's sketchbook] A beginner's guide to procrastination

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
[JVCA's sketchbook] A beginner's guide to procrastination
Post By JVCA. 25/09/12, 02:02 pm

Disclaimer: I'm really good at not working on things. Anyway - I'll be updating this post with the state of things, but posting actual progress images and such in thread. C: Underlined is what I'm currently working on. Striked out things are finished.

Current Projects:

Equalist:
Spoiler:
Mask - planned, fabric, lenses and electronics for goggles, tubing for breathing apparatus bought.
Scarf - patterned, halfway sewn.
Jacket - Jacket finished, except for the glove part.
Pants
Boots - Both covers sewn, just needing to be glued onto the base shoe.
Weapon
Belt - planned, fabric and buckles bought.

Batwoman:
Spoiler:
Wig - Already owned one before I started the costume
Mask - gotta buy some wonderflex...
Cape - bought the black material, still need the red & to mock up.
Suit - Zentai suit has arrived, need to take it in, remove mask, gloves, and add bat symbol.
Gauntlets
Belt
Boots - base shoes bought, gotta make boot covers.

Last edited by JVCA on 17/10/12, 07:00 am; edited 5 times in total
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Number of posts : 7122
Transforms into : a crotchety old woman
Registration date : 2007-11-25

[JVCA's sketchbook] A beginner's guide to procrastination Vide
Back to top Go down
http://www.jvca.net.nz

Re: [JVCA's sketchbook] A beginner's guide to procrastination
Post By Lumissne. 27/09/12, 11:07 am

Bluh, meant to pop a comment on here and forgot.

Can't wait to see Batwoman!!
Lumissne
Lumissne
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1047
Transforms into : Piphopopotamus.
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post By commandercandyfloss. 28/09/12, 06:52 am

seconding pip! you're gonna be an amazing batwoman Very Happy
commandercandyfloss
commandercandyfloss
banana in pajamas ;O

Number of posts : 879
Transforms into : a candyfloss princess
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post By JVCA. 02/10/12, 01:43 pm

Thanks guys!

Now that I'm at my computer, I figured I'd post some progress photos. Please excuse the graininess, and inconsistant colour - I played with the levels in some of the photos so you could actually see the contrast between the red and khaki bits...

[JVCA's sketchbook] A beginner's guide to procrastination 1_fabr10

So these are the fabrics + buttons + buckles I bought - I got the red for $6/m, and the Khaki was $18 for 3.5m or something from the remnants table. Awesome. Very Happy (The leatherette makes up for it by being $25/m. Sob.)

[JVCA's sketchbook] A beginner's guide to procrastination Patter10

I picked out Kwik Sew K3363 for the pants, then modified the pattern to make the waist higher - then smaller, because my actual waist is smaller than where the waistband originally sat. I originally made the waist too high/crotch too low, so brought it up again at the shorten lengthen lines. That's what the random cut/stitched back together bits in the below mock-up are from.

[JVCA's sketchbook] A beginner's guide to procrastination 2_pant10
[JVCA's sketchbook] A beginner's guide to procrastination 3_pant10

I marked the key points of the red areas on myself in the mirror, took them off to draw the full shape in, then tried it on again. (The mock-up is super short cuz I figured I didn't need to make the full leg length.) I made the red too long to begin with, hence the double line on the side. nodnod The red is deliberately done to line up with the darts at the back. Very Happy So crafty.

[JVCA's sketchbook] A beginner's guide to procrastination 4_pant10
[JVCA's sketchbook] A beginner's guide to procrastination 5_pant10

Pants with a centred zipper in the back - you can see the darts at the back very clearly here. This is prior to me putting the red bits on, obviously.

[JVCA's sketchbook] A beginner's guide to procrastination 6_pant10

I patterned the red bits as one piece - there's a dart in the top at the sides to make sure it follows the form of the pants nicely, because I figured the side seam that's on the pants would look a bit naff on the red bits. The red edges are folded under, and it's all topstitched down, except for the top where it's sewn into the waistband.

[JVCA's sketchbook] A beginner's guide to procrastination 7_pant10
[JVCA's sketchbook] A beginner's guide to procrastination 8_pant10

I had a lot of trouble getting the cuffs into a height & fullness that I was happy with (this took me 1.5 weeks of procrastination - the rest of it I did in one weekend!), but here's the finished result. :3

[JVCA's sketchbook] A beginner's guide to procrastination Patter11

I bought Kwik-sew K3841 for the jacket as I figured if I swapped the side of the overlap, put in fewer buttons and maybe extended the overlap a little further, then it should be perfect. I had a bit of a headache with it though - according to the packet, I'm an S in the bust, but an M in the waist & hips. One of my sewing books said it's better to use the bust size rather than the waist/hips for jackets, as any alterations to the bust would require alterations to the armholes (and sleeves) which sounded wise, so I made a mock-up of the Small, thinking I'd have to let it out at the waist and hips. So imagine my surprise when the mock up looks like the below...

[JVCA's sketchbook] A beginner's guide to procrastination 9_jack10
[JVCA's sketchbook] A beginner's guide to procrastination 10_jac10

The front looks a little ill-fitted but not toooooo bad. The back though - wow! o_o;; As a point of curiousity, I went back and measured the pattern pieces, and apparently the only measurement that actually matches the ones on the back of the packet is the hip measurement. The waist on the XS is 33" - my waist is 29.5, and the packet told me that barely fit a medium size! orz So now I'm doing a mock-up of the XS, and I'll see how that looks compared to the S mock-up. That scarf isn't the one for the costume, btw - it's just a placeholder.
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Back to top Go down

Post By Tails. 02/10/12, 01:53 pm

I like that you're showing the patterns you used! Also, looking really great so far Very Happy
Tails
Tails
L

Number of posts : 3004
Transforms into : a Vulpix
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/TailsCosplay

Post By Mischa. 03/10/12, 02:17 am

Mann I really admire how immaculately fitting your work is!
Mischa
Mischa
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1045
Transforms into : GRIMDARK
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Back to top Go down
http://www.doublestitch.co.nz

Post By JVCA. 15/10/12, 02:54 am

Okay, seeing as I'm stuck at work with nothing but printing to do and a broken printer - may as well update!

So, since my last update I've come to realise that I do not have time to get Batwoman done as well as my Equalist. ;A; I'm gutted, but I'm also suffering post viral fatigue from glandular fever, and for my health's sake can't afford to do lots of all nighters just for costumes. So Batwoman I'll work on post-geddon, I guess.

Where we last left off, my "small" sized mock-up was huge on me, so I was going to make an extra-small size.

[JVCA's sketchbook] A beginner's guide to procrastination Jacket13

Here's the XS sized mock-up - I still had to take in the darts further, and take in about two inches at the centre back seam. I also shortened the sleeves, added on the glove section (using the glove pattern I made for my Lizzie costume), and widened the lapel. You can see I've drawn the buttons & red patch details all over it in felt tip, hahah. A note on the red patches - I decided to do these as patches rather than armour for a few reasons - the first being the obvious one of ease. The second reason is that the patches are drawn so inconsistently from episode to episode that I decided to stick with the concept art as my main reference, and they don't look like armour in the concept art. The third reason is that the animation kind of defies physics with this armour - when they bend their arms, the elbow armour seems to slide and change position compared with the other armour - like the green fabric in between just disappears??? So yeah, doing them as patches instead.

[JVCA's sketchbook] A beginner's guide to procrastination Jacket11

I didn't really take many in progress shots unfortunately, but here's one of the sleeves with the patches sewn on. I hemmed the patches & basted the hems until I topstitched them down on the actual thing and removed the basting stitches. This meant I could keep the shapes nice and symmetrical and cut down on pins.

[JVCA's sketchbook] A beginner's guide to procrastination Jacket12

I can't remember exactly when this photo was taken, but I think it was right before sewing in the lining... Anyway, you can see how the patches look when on, here. :) (This is a mirrored image so technically it's pinning shut on the wrong side, but shhh.) Since this photo I've lined it, hemmed it, and done the buttons/buttonholes. The buttons were originally silver, but I primed them and spray painted them gold (I could only find silver belt buckles in the right shape/size so I figured anything gold I needed would be spraypainted - otherwise my golds probably wouldn't match).

The last thing I have to do on the jacket is the sewing the gloves section, but I got kind of fed up with it by the time I'd hemmed & buttoned it, so I decided to do something else for a bit.

[JVCA's sketchbook] A beginner's guide to procrastination Boots_11

These are the base shoes I bought. I couldn't find anything that wasn't a slouch boot that didn't also have a ridiculous heel on it, but this pair was fully lined with a non-slouch lining, so I figured it was enough to work from. In the above image you can see a comparison - before and after I removed the shell.

I discovered to my joy that my fabric was actually a stretch fabric which made things much easier - yay! So I just used the existing seam lines to make my pattern. :) Since this image I've patterned the boot covers (including the red patch on the side & knee guard) and sewn one together. I just need to sew the other one & attach them both to the shoes. I tried to take a photo of the finished one last night, but it was too poor lighting.

@Tahlee & Mischa: Thanks guys! Very Happy Hopefully the final product looks as good. >.< The final jacket is almost too well fitted, but oh well - who needs to move easily?
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Back to top Go down

Post By Hannah. 15/10/12, 12:52 pm

wow its's all looking amazing! especially that jacket!
Hannah
Hannah
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 798
Transforms into : a shark yo
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content