Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hello there

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Hello there
Post By Tomo Potter. 10/03/12, 04:53 pm

*peeks in shyly*

Hello all!

I'm Rowan, I'm 19, from Dunedin, and I'm a relative n00b to cosplaying. I was in love with the idea in my tweens/early teens, but at the time there wasn't really anything of the sort going on in my area, then I sort of forgot about it until fairly recently, when some friends and I started planning a short parody film series some time late last year, revolving around a genderbent version of Sherlock Holmes and John Watson from the recent BBC series. It started as a casual 'hey what if' but it kind of opened the floodgates and then we were dressing up as them every other weekend and I'm finding myself falling in love with cosplay all over again. (And realising just how many costumes I had been acquiring subliminally WELL THEN)

I run an ask blog as genderbent Sherlock, and occasionally recruit hapless victims friends as Jo Watson and Myrah Holmes. I have an incomplete Jack Harkness cosplay (need a wig, a binder, and better suspenders.) and am also planning... certainly a Karkat cosplay (yay homestuuuck), and also possibly Gamzee or Aradia. (I also have a 14 year old brother so the temptation to do some kind of Bro and Dave thing is overwhelming... or dress up as Lil Cal and hide in various places around his room...) I also REEEALLY want to do Holly Short from Artemis Fowl as well. SO MANY IDEEEAS

Cosplay aside, I'm a dancer, studying grade 6 hip hop and grade 5 contemporary. I also teach kids contemporary dance and train swimming coaches. I'm agoraphobic, and bipolar (the agoraphobia makes getting out to actually do stuff TUNZ OF FUN sigh) and recently been diagnosed with tonic clonic epilepsy, though I've had temporal lobe epilepsy all my life WHEEE. I'm genderqueer, demisexual, and spend most of my time writing or reading fanfiction, debating Highly Serious Issues with people, and sobbing emotionally into my tumblr.

I'm a little nervous about actually diving into the cosplay community because I know the vast majority is anime-based and I don't know a lot about anime (bad experiences and a weeaboo phase and a REALLY long story) and what I'm interested in is based more in books and movies and stuff. idk I'm just learning a lot about the community and hoping to pick up some tips and meet fun people with similar interests :]

And clearly they would have to be people who don't mind me rambling on endlessly like this -_- sorry!

So um yep hi :3
Tomo Potter
Tomo Potter
Soldier A

Number of posts : 6
Transforms into : Various jerks.
Registration date : 2012-03-10

Hello there Vide
Back to top Go down
http://abitofholmesandwatson.tumblr.com

Re: Hello there
Post By Guest. 11/03/12, 02:58 am

Welcome Very Happy

Hello there Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Squishy blob. 11/03/12, 05:07 am

Welcome to CNZ, Rowan cheers .

Every one of your cosplay ideas sound awesome to me, as do your variety of interests~ I'm a fan of Sherlock, Homestuck, and Artemis Fowl, and I would probably faint from happiness if I ever saw a Holly Short cosplay. (And Lil Cal. Everything is better with Cal).

While anime certainly seems to be the primary source of cosplay here, of course you'll find plenty of us interested in - and cosplaying from - other other sources of entertainment :].

Any chance of a link to your fanfiction and/or genderbent Sherlock ask blog?
Squishy blob
Squishy blob
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1228
Transforms into : pancakes at 5am
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Hello there Vide
Back to top Go down
http://squishyblob.tumblr.com

Post By Tomo Potter. 11/03/12, 06:29 am

Thank you both guys Very Happy

Aaaaagh Holly is definitely way up there on my to-do list. I'm a HUUUUGE fan (A few years ago when the movie rumours got quite loud I actually got a Holly haircut so that I would be ready just in case XD) and augh aghhh yes Holly is definitely happening Very Happy

ack, it won't let me post links yet, but I'm Tomo Potter on fanfiction.net (most of what's there is old and bad though >_< been too long since I updated whoops) and my ask blog is femlockanswers (dot) tumblr (dot) com :]

And can I just say that your Vriska costume in your av is aaaaaaaaaaaaah amaaaazing aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah *flails* the arm oh my gosh wow that is just spectacular Very Happy
Tomo Potter
Tomo Potter
Soldier A

Hello there Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By violetlady. 11/03/12, 08:54 am

welcome to CNZ
I may not really know about homestuck or bbc sherlock (haven't checked them out yet) but I would love to see your Jack Harkness and Holly Short cosplay! I'm a big Artemis Fowl fan...though I don't exactly like one of the books and Torchwood is awesome!

don't worry to much about the anime thing, my two cosplays I'm working on aren't from anime either. One's Luna from Harry Potter and the other is Riku from Kingdom Hearts

but anyway, welcome!
violetlady
violetlady
Unexplanatory

Number of posts : 35
Transforms into : T3R3Z1
Registration date : 2011-12-29

Hello there Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Epiales. 11/03/12, 10:21 am

Hello there and welcome to CNZ :)
Epiales
Epiales
Tophat

Number of posts : 153
Transforms into : ZGMF-X47S Faith Gundam
Registration date : 2011-12-27

Hello there Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Pixel. 11/03/12, 12:21 pm

Welcome !! Ahh Sherlock and Homestuck fan! Hello 8)
Pixel
Pixel
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 690
Registration date : 2010-07-25

Hello there Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By daydreamer. 11/03/12, 02:06 pm

Welcome to CNZ Very Happy
daydreamer
daydreamer
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1029
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Hello there Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By kilometres1. 13/03/12, 08:51 am

welcome to CNZ dude!
kilometres1
kilometres1
paoupu fruit

Number of posts : 465
Transforms into : Yixing
Registration date : 2010-09-24

Hello there Vide
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS7i-9hr5YyMQSRQ-EO3vVg

Post By tashamanx1. 13/03/12, 12:14 pm

hey yall!
welcome to CNZ!
do you like naruto? naruto
tashamanx1
tashamanx1
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 506
Transforms into : Kim Jongin (Kai)'s wife......oh wait.... i already am XD
Registration date : 2011-01-20

Hello there Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Tomo Potter. 15/03/12, 03:41 pm

Aaaah! Thanks for the welcomes everyone! Hug

violetlady I have to agree, there's one book that just doesn't sit right with me (*cough Lost Colony cough*) but the rest of the series is solid gold and makes up for it completely Very Happy Aaaagh I love Luna so much! I'd love to see your Luna cosplay when it's finished ^_^

tashamanx1 I've... heard of Naruto, but I have no idea what it even actually is :S Sorry!
Tomo Potter
Tomo Potter
Soldier A

Hello there Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By iristigerlily. 16/03/12, 05:02 am

WELCOME!

*hugs*

I'm so glad you're here now! I do love your Sherlock cosplay, and if you ever want anyone to take pictures and stuff please let me know! I can fangirl over your outfits...

It's not just anime here, even if it is the major component of cosplay all over the world. There's a few book cosplayers and games as well. I want to do Jocelyn Osgood from the Cairo Jim novels and if I ever meet anyone who knows what that even is I owe them a cookie.

SO EXCITED YOU'VE JOINED PLEASE CHECK OUT THE DCC THREADS!
iristigerlily
iristigerlily
Banana

Number of posts : 114
Transforms into : lazy-no-jutsu
Registration date : 2009-10-27

Hello there Vide
Back to top Go down
http://skybird.nu/

Post By Tomo Potter. 16/03/12, 05:14 am

Hiiiiiii! *hugs and flails*

I'm glad to be here Very Happy *excited* I'm trying to get some of my friends who I've roped into femlock-related shenanigans to join too, and spread the cosplay love Very Happy

Thank youuuu! ^_^ omg actually having someone to take pictures and doing a proper shoot sometime would be amaaazing, we usually have to use a tripod and just kinda make do, which is always iffy at the best of times *flails*

I've actually heard of Cairo Jim through a friend, but I've never read them... must do XD boooooooooks... <3

AAAAH I'VE BEEN STALKING THE DCC THREADS BUT TOO SHY TO ACTUALLY GO SAY HELLO AAAAAAHHHHH AAAAAAAAH AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH *more flailing*
Tomo Potter
Tomo Potter
Soldier A

Hello there Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By violetlady. 16/03/12, 09:50 am

I'm actually okay with the lost colony, I just couldn't get into the Atlantis complex.....I still haven't managed to finish reading it
as for my luna cosplay it's almost finished! I'm just waiting for my robes to arrive......and I've got to try and fix my wig, it's gotten really messy.....
violetlady
violetlady
Unexplanatory

Hello there Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Tomo Potter. 16/03/12, 12:55 pm

Aaah yeah, the pacing of Atlantis Complex is really different to all the rest... I think Eoin's trying to kind of mature the stories as well as the characters. I liked AC though, I actually have a fic in the works based on it (that I really need to update it's been over a year OOPS) but idk I just like reading about mental health on any level XD and I liked the more serious implications in the ending.

:O That is so exciting! jskhbfkjwehbgfk I'm jealous, I really want some proper Hogwarts robes XD Not even for cosplay, just for me... *sigh*

Can't wait to see it!
Tomo Potter
Tomo Potter
Soldier A

Hello there Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By violetlady. 16/03/12, 01:40 pm

yeah I really have to re read the series again and properly finish AC

as for the robes, I can't wait for them to arrive XD but I must admit, just wearing a tie is so much fun so it'll be fabulous having the robes just to wear around
violetlady
violetlady
Unexplanatory

Hello there Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Epiales. 17/03/12, 12:31 pm

Hello there and welcome to CNZ Very Happy
Epiales