Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How to get rid of Greasyness.

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
How to get rid of Greasyness.
Post By Makoto. 12/10/11, 11:29 am

Hey, I have a question for the girls here.

I'm looking for some help.
I naturally have very fine and very soft hair. While it's comfortable, and I don't mind it, it gets greasy and disgusting very, very quickly.
I shampoo and condition it every single day, and after about 16-18 hours it gets greasy and I can't handle it.

I've tried playing around with amounts of shampoo and conditioner when I shower, but nothing changes.
I always thought it had something to do with exercise, but I found out that the cleanest pillow and bed, and a good nights sleep still mess with it and get it greasy.

Is this normal for a boy, and is there anything I can do to prevent it getting like this, other than washing and conditioning every day?

Thank you.
Makoto
Makoto
Unexplanatory

Number of posts : 34
Transforms into : Dunno.
Registration date : 2011-10-12

How to get rid of Greasyness.  Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: How to get rid of Greasyness.
Post By Cactiberry. 12/10/11, 11:55 am

possibly you shouldn't be shampooing and conditioning it ever day?
i had a massive problem with greasyness when I was younger and I was shampooing/conditioning every day, I changed to shampoo/conditioning every 2nd or 3rd day (still wash your hair with water everyday!)
you could also try just using shampoo? shampoo essentially strips off the oil in your hair, and conditioner is putting it back on.
possibly i'm just full of BS haha
Cactiberry
Cactiberry
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2283
Transforms into : sharpedo
Registration date : 2009-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post By Makoto. 12/10/11, 11:57 am

Cactiberry wrote:
possibly you shouldn't be shampooing and conditioning it ever day?
i had a massive problem with greasyness when I was younger and I was shampooing/conditioning every day, I changed to shampoo/conditioning every 2nd or 3rd day (still wash your hair with water everyday!)
you could also try just using shampoo? shampoo essentially strips off the oil in your hair, and conditioner is putting it back on.
possibly i'm just full of BS haha
Thanks, I'll try that tonight and see what happens.
Makoto
Makoto
Unexplanatory

Back to top Go down

Post By Squishy blob. 12/10/11, 01:01 pm

I agree with Cactiberry, to get out of the habit of washing your hair every day, just don't wash it as much and it'll go back to normal! (I think?) If you strip too much oil out of your scalp, it might produce more oil to make up for it.

Also maybe you could try using dry shampoo on days between washes? You can buy it cans from pharmacies and hairdressers, and spray it into your hair when it starts getting greasy? I've never used it but apparently it's very good *shrug*.

Hope that helps xD.
Squishy blob
Squishy blob
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1228
Transforms into : pancakes at 5am
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down
http://squishyblob.tumblr.com

Post By Makoto. 12/10/11, 01:03 pm

Squishy blob wrote:
I agree with Cactiberry, to get out of the habit of washing your hair every day, just don't wash it as much and it'll go back to normal! (I think?) If you strip too much oil out of your scalp, it might produce more oil to make up for it.

Also maybe you could try using dry shampoo on days between washes? You can buy it cans from pharmacies and hairdressers, and spray it into your hair when it starts getting greasy? I've never used it but apparently it's very good *shrug*.

Hope that helps xD.
Okay, thanks.

Is it just called Dry shampoo or what?
Makoto
Makoto
Unexplanatory

Back to top Go down

Post By Squishy blob. 12/10/11, 01:07 pm

Yup, just... dry shampoo xD. I know Fudge, Batiste and Tresemme make it.
Squishy blob
Squishy blob
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1228
Transforms into : pancakes at 5am
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down
http://squishyblob.tumblr.com

Post By Makoto. 12/10/11, 01:09 pm

Squishy blob wrote:
Yup, just... dry shampoo xD. I know Fudge, Batiste and Tresemme make it.
Thank you!

There's no girls in my family, apart from my Mum, so is there anything I can do to my hair to keep it good condition?
I wouldn't know, cause I'm a yucky male.

Like brushing and whatever.
Makoto
Makoto
Unexplanatory

Back to top Go down

Post By Cactiberry. 12/10/11, 01:19 pm

you can't really overbrush and if you have greasy hair it sometimes helps a little.
um, for generally keeping it healthy, get it trimmed regularly and try and shower every day if you can. Get a showercap! you might find that if you change your hair-washing habits, your hair will become rough and coarser. I find that if that happens, using this as schedule helps kept it looking nice -
day 1 - shampoo and condition hair (use a comb to evenly spread conditioner on your hair, you often miss the tips of your hair with your fingers)
day 2 - shower with showercap
day 3 - normal shower
rinse and repeat!

also another greasy hair tip - shampoo all your hair, and then condition the tips of your hair (the last inch or two) only.
Cactiberry
Cactiberry
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2283
Transforms into : sharpedo
Registration date : 2009-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post By Makoto. 12/10/11, 01:24 pm

Cactiberry wrote:
you can't really overbrush and if you have greasy hair it sometimes helps a little.
um, for generally keeping it healthy, get it trimmed regularly and try and shower every day if you can. Get a showercap! you might find that if you change your hair-washing habits, your hair will become rough and coarser. I find that if that happens, using this as schedule helps kept it looking nice -
day 1 - shampoo and condition hair (use a comb to evenly spread conditioner on your hair, you often miss the tips of your hair with your fingers)
day 2 - shower with showercap
day 3 - normal shower
rinse and repeat!

also another greasy hair tip - shampoo all your hair, and then condition the tips of your hair (the last inch or two) only.
I'll have to try these things, thank you.

I'll try the combing thing next time I'm shower!
Thanks for all the help, you two.
Makoto
Makoto
Unexplanatory

Back to top Go down

Post By Hannah. 12/10/11, 02:28 pm

they recommend brushing your hair twice a day to help even out the oil distribution or something? my hairdressers tells me these things , i don't really listen.

But yes you can overwash your hair usually every 2-3 depending on your hair type is fine for washing as it lets some of the natural oil back into your hair. school holidays are a great time to start this as you don't have to worry about school appearance xD
Also if you can try using a hairdresser quality shampoo and conditioner these don't strip the hair of all their natural oils like supermarket ones tend to do, they are more expensive but you only use a tiny bit so can actually last you longer ^.^ its always help to ask your hairdresser how much you should be using, i always find i use too much conditioner which is bad apparently
regular trims and treatments (and diet)]also help keep you hair in good condition~

yesilovemyhairok>.<

hope this kinda helps?
Hannah
Hannah
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 798
Transforms into : a shark yo
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post By firecat70. 12/10/11, 03:57 pm

Sounds weird but trying putting baking soda in it...
Mix a tablespoon of baking soda in a cup of warm water, mix it, then massage it into your scalp. You can do that instead of using shampoo/conditioner. Or you can just add a bit of baking soda to your shampoo and it should have a similar effect.

I am allergic to most shampoos and they make my hair go all frizzilla anyway, so I use this and honey (mix 1tb of honey into warm cup of water) in my hair instead.
firecat70
firecat70
lucky*

Number of posts : 1117
Transforms into : a dinosaur
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down
http://www.scoodasaurus.com

Post By JVCA. 13/10/11, 01:24 am

The other thing to try (because you weren't overloaded with suggestions already) is a gentler shampoo. A lot of guys shampoos are actually really harsh for some reason (it's more manly??? Idek), so try a sensitive shampoo or even a gender neutral/ladies one.

Personally I'd recommend the Dove Daily Moisture shampoo & conditioner (both admin and I use it and it doesn't smell girly or anything like the floral brands do), but different shampoos work better for different people.
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Number of posts : 7122
Transforms into : a crotchety old woman
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down
http://www.jvca.net.nz

Post By ai-scully. 13/10/11, 11:51 am

^ A really good shampoo/conditioner brand is Nature's fresh.
It doesn't have any animal fat and is completely natural... I personally have the same sorta greasy-ness problem and when i use Nature's fresh it just makes my hair nice and soft~
Without any animal fats, you hair can take to it alot easier... It could just be that be that your hair is really sensitive to them ^^
You can find it in Supermarkets for like. $5.40? a bottle and it doesnt have any fragrance either.
ai-scully
ai-scully
paoupu fruit

Number of posts : 425
Transforms into : Derp Rose
Registration date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down
http://shelbicarp.tumblr.com

Post By RainbowMoonDust. 17/10/11, 11:13 am

I have the same problem although not quite as bad as yours. Try using conidtioner only on the ends of your hair or not at all, I find too much of it weighs my hair down.
RainbowMoonDust
RainbowMoonDust
fraggle rock

Number of posts : 1480
Transforms into : Goddess of mischief
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down
http://rainbowmoondust.livejournal.com/

Post By ROCKiwi. 17/10/11, 11:35 am

I solved that problem by not using conditioner at all

ROCKiwi
Unexplanatory

Number of posts : 25
Transforms into : Hardcore German Sparkle Party...Sparkle Party, Sparkle Party...
Registration date : 2011-10-13

Back to top Go down
http://blazerconz.deviantart.com

Post By Mischa. 25/10/11, 11:34 am

I have oily hair too, and I try and avoid brushing or combing my scalp too much. Also making sure you rinse all the conditioner out helps too (I just apply it to the ends of my hair).
Mischa
Mischa
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1045
Transforms into : GRIMDARK
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Back to top Go down
http://www.doublestitch.co.nz

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content