Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Looking for something new

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Looking for something new
Post By Green_Sage. 04/05/11, 06:56 am

looking for something new to read (manga i mean)
any suggestions guys?? (also if it can be found online that would be really helpful lol)
Green_Sage
Green_Sage
Almighty

Number of posts : 354
Transforms into : Who knows..
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Looking for something new Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: Looking for something new
Post By Admin. 04/05/11, 07:52 am

What sort of manga do you like?

I'd recommend any of the following:

Monster (My personal favourite.)
A seinen manga; wikipedia lists it as a psychological thriller, detective fiction, drama, and horror. See more under tag.
Spoiler:

NANA
A shoujo manga; wikipedia lists it as a drama, romance, and music manga. Synopsis from wikipedia under the spoiler tag.
Spoiler:

BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad
A shounen manga; wikipedia lists it as a music, romance, and slice of life manga. Synopsis from wikipedia under spoiler tag.
Spoiler:

ES: Eternal Sabbath (This is a short one, only 8 volumes.)
It would probably count as a seinen... Science fiction/drama/thriller. Wiki synopsis below tag.
Spoiler:

xxxHoLiC
Seinen. Supernatural/comedy/psychological. See more under spoiler tag.
Spoiler:
Admin
Admin
Winner of the Golden Gun Award

Number of posts : 2982
Transforms into : yo mama.
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down
http://authenticsowilo.deviantart.com/

Post By Caddyl. 04/05/11, 08:19 am

i'm gonna recommend AO NO EXORCIST cause the anime just started up and it's pretty darn awesome so far :> !
Caddyl
Caddyl
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post By jpwise. 04/05/11, 08:56 am

Just started watching AO NO EXORCIST myself aswell, Looks interesting so far.
jpwise
jpwise
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down
http://gallery.of.geek.nz

Post By Pyro. 04/05/11, 10:31 am

Since everyone's just tossing out personal favourites, mine are...

Chrono Crusade: it's a romance/historical/fantasy/action manga about a demon called Chrono and a nun called Rosette. Rosette's brother Joshua was kidnapped by Chrono's brother Aion when the nun was a child, and so she sold her lifespan to Chrono in exchange for his power. It's set in America in the 1920s and basically plays around with all the stuff happening in that era, like the liquor prohibition and the stock crash. Very high energy, a little bit short but quite emotional and it makes the best of its run.

World Embryo: by the same author as Chrono Crusade (Daisuke Moriyama), it's a horror/sci-fi/action story. Wombry is about a teenage boy, Riku, who has a deep love for his supposedly-dead stepsister, Amane. After receiving a text from her, he goes to an abandoned hospital and finds an egg which hatches into an infant girl who is a dead ringer for his sister. Meanwhile, metamorphosed humans who have become horrible monsters stalk Riku, hunting after his new charge. Some of the characters in Wombry-- especially the female lead, Rena-- are very stereotyped, but it's a fun story with a lot of dark twists and cool character designs, set in modern Tokyo.

Fullmetal Alchemist: do I even have to explain this one? If you haven't read it then you need to-- it's iconic, it's beautiful, and ye gods is it badass.

Doubt: Thriller/horror! There's a game called 'Rabbit Doubt' which is played via cellphones that's basically just mafia with some different labels stuck on the roles. A group of friends who play it meet up in real life to get to know each other, and go to karaoke... but are then kidnapped and taken to a mysterious building. Tattooed with barcodes, they can each only open one of the many doors inside, and they are all in the presence of a killer-- will they make it out alive? Don't read this late at night or before going to karaoke. It's not a good idea.

There are a few more recommendations I could make, but they're a bit more subjective to taste. :U
Pyro
Pyro
Winner of the Infinitely Quotable Award

Number of posts : 3934
Transforms into : Tik-Tok Tibenoch
Registration date : 2007-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post By RainbowMoonDust. 08/05/11, 09:16 am

I'm gonna side with Alex here and also recommend Monster, I have not read the manga (Yet) but I have watched the anime and it totally blew me away, it was truly that awesome, I never seen an anime where the plot and characters are so well done and with so many twists. I hear the manga is good too, you have to read this, you won't be disappointed, trust me.

I'm also going to recommend Claymore, the anime is good but the manga is even better as it picks up where the anime left off. It's a dark/fantasy/horror, plenty of action and gore if you like that kind of thing. Wink Plot description pulled directly from Wiki because I am lazy. Razz

Spoiler:

Now this ^^ only tells you about the anime, more about the manga below:

Spoiler:

The manga is very good, I recommend this, hope you find something nice to read. nodnod
RainbowMoonDust
RainbowMoonDust
fraggle rock

Number of posts : 1480
Transforms into : Goddess of mischief
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down
http://rainbowmoondust.livejournal.com/

Post By PinkGoggles. 20/07/11, 05:24 pm

I'm sure 99.99999% of this community won't agree but I love these so....

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (It's epically long though):
It's got a very.. particular art style that you have to get used to. It's just epically epic. I can't really tell you how it's so epic because I can't put my finger on it but it is; in my personal opinion, amazing. Crazy dudes with a bunch of cool super-powers (?) and very awesome poses XD

Another amazing piece would be....

Ultimate Survivor, Kaiji
(it's also quite long):
And again, weird art-style but it's a smart series and it's really well thought-out. It's super intense. SUPER intense and 'cause of the content and other various stuff in the series, I'd recommend it for a seinen audience. Oh, it also helps to know that it's about gambling but nothing like poker.

And if you liked Kaiji, you should check out all of the mangaka (Nobuyuki Fukumoto)'s other stuff.
They're all generally stunning pieces of work. There's also a lot of mahjong in his work so it helps to know a bit but it's not a requirement :3
PinkGoggles
PinkGoggles
Ultimatum

Number of posts : 245
Transforms into : Money. Lots of money.
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down
http://scared-forever.deviantart.com/

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content