Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Crepe Wool & Liquid Latex animal hand?

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Post By Lowkey. 06/03/11, 09:45 am

I'm thinking about trying to produce a skin-tight furry claw-hand (Tokito Minoru, Wild Adapter) ; I've tried making one just from faux fur but it's never going to be as realistic and tight-fitting as it'd have to be to emulate Tokito's beast hand. I think I have some liquid latex, and I'm thinking of sticking my hand in some and wandering around with my fingers spread while it dries for four hours (the things we do for craft?) to make a skin-tight latex glove. Apparently I'd be able to attach tiny bunches of a material called "Crepe wool" with more liquid latex to create a fur texture-- crepe wool is a theatre makeup product used to create beards &c for stage.

Crepe Wool & Liquid Latex animal hand? 2nhmckm

I could get it over the internet but I don't know when it would arrive and I wondered if anybody had any idea where I could get this either in Wellington or from a local supplier? Li-Bai suggested I just hack up an old wig, which I would do, if I had an old wig. Anybody got a really, really beyond-saving light brown wig I could buy for tuppence? Other ideas to create this hand?

I'll admit I'm keen to try this method because latex sounds like fun & I enjoy methodical work like I imagine attaching hair will be, but also not sure how I might attach actual claws? Could glue some on or try to mould those at the ends of my fingers before brushing my hand down with latex?
Lowkey
Lowkey
Ultimatum

Number of posts : 233
Transforms into : wolf-rayet star
Registration date : 2009-04-30

Crepe Wool & Liquid Latex animal hand? Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: Crepe Wool & Liquid Latex animal hand?
Post By Guest. 06/03/11, 10:31 am

I've been playing with liquid latex. I tried painting it all over a glove while I was wearing it. It soaked through, and gripped onto the hair on my wrist. It was quite painful to take the glove off again. I would not all all recommend dunking an entire hand in the stuff to make a glove.
I dunno about you, but I have a lot of hair on the back of my hand. Not thick or black enough to see unless you hold it just right in the light, but there.

Back to top Go down

Post By Duckeh. 06/03/11, 10:34 am

I know Rowan used latex to make a glove for Robin... Possibly. But yeah, ouch, hair.

I WILL BEAT HER TILL SHE REPLIES HERE.
Duckeh
Duckeh
GOD of all things EPIC

Number of posts : 6842
Transforms into : YO BUTT.
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down
http://www.duckeh.com

Post By Lowkey. 06/03/11, 10:40 am

It's getting cold again, I'll wear long sleeves so nobody notices that one hand & wrist is shaved? I found a tutorial somewhere that recommended a close shave first.
Lowkey
Lowkey
Ultimatum

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 06/03/11, 10:59 am

Unless you have crazy amounts of hair, I dont think anyone is gonna notice if you shave one hand Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post By Rowan. 06/03/11, 11:20 am

OMG TOKKI! I LOVE YOU FOR DOING THIS.

I did use latex for a glove, but I painted it on fabric and sewed that into a glove....

What about starting with a thin spandex (or similar) glove, and glueing bits of fur on to that? A thin glove would be skin tight, so no problems there.

Look into fake nails, maybe? There are some looooooong ones out there, and reshape them if you want, and attach them to the end of the furry glove.

You could still use latex to attach fur on your arm at the base of the glove to make it look like a more natural progression of fur/hide the edge of the glove (although being thin it might not show anyway.)

HOPE SOMETHING HERE HELPS.
Rowan
Rowan
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1257
Transforms into : A free, free bird.
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down
http://ladyarbuthnott.deviantart.com

Post By Admin. 06/03/11, 12:24 pm

I think I vaguely recall reading something about using vaseline to stop the latex from grabbing onto hairs.

...yeah okay, here's where I read that:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4854046_make-latex-skin.html

That's for making skin, but it should still apply for the first few steps.

Oh, and in regards to finding crepe wool hair, this is the only NZ-based place I could find that sells it with a quick google search.

http://www.mortech.co.nz/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=111&category_id=112&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=52
Admin
Admin
Winner of the Golden Gun Award

Number of posts : 2982
Transforms into : yo mama.
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down
http://authenticsowilo.deviantart.com/

Post By Lowkey. 06/03/11, 12:41 pm

Embalming products and autopsy & lab equipment? That's great; I suppose you'd use it to dress bodies for open-casket.

So shaving hand, vaseline, layers of latex, option of gluing on fur or applying crepe wool / upcycled wig, some sort of sealant to stop latex sticking to itself. Spirit gum to attach, concealer or something to blend into skin? Cool.

Thanks, guys.
Lowkey
Lowkey
Ultimatum

Back to top Go down

Post By Pyro. 07/03/11, 04:10 pm

Minifies sells crepe wool in a whooole lot of colours~ I'm intending to buy some for stubble when I cosplay Snow Villiers.

If you google them, you should be able to find it on their website?
Pyro
Pyro
Winner of the Infinitely Quotable Award

Number of posts : 3934
Transforms into : Tik-Tok Tibenoch
Registration date : 2007-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post By Lowkey. 19/03/11, 11:50 am

Checked the Minifies suppliers (kudos, Pryo <3), found that Life Pharmacy in the Saint James, Wellington, near Cuba, carries crepe hair. Have a foot of medium blonde; asked around and nobody could direct me to latex-tints or latex-sealant, so hopefully going to try this out tomorrow after school; hopefully testing to see if I have an allergic reaction to the latex and die tonight. /thumbs.

Wish me luck.

oh god it's all going to go so wrong
Lowkey
Lowkey
Ultimatum

Back to top Go down

Post By Huntress. 24/03/11, 10:08 am

Uh... vaseline will cause the latex to perish. You should vaseline your hand and take a plaster mold of it using bandages then pour the latex into that, wait half an hour then tip out excess latex and allow to continue drying. Also, you will need to clean the plaster before you pour the latex in to remove the vaseline.
Huntress
Huntress
Le grande

Number of posts : 165
Transforms into : A cat canteen. I supply all-you-can-eat biscuits and meats. I also have a fountain of ever-flowing fresh water for your convenience.
Registration date : 2010-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post By neimhaille. 24/03/11, 12:59 pm

You could also do them as flat pieces and transfer them to your hand. So brush latex onto plastic ( sintra/foam pvc works well as it has a bit to the surface) and once it gets tacky start sticking the hair in.

You can also use Prosthetic Aide- there are PA transfer used in all sorts of pro. work- and use PA to glue it down.

If you do this fine enough you'll be all good. You glue them down, again PA is so much better than spirit gum, so much better, then use more A to paint between them and then to blend the edges and fur blow some very fine clippings of the fur onto the gummy PA.

Oh and you don't know what you will do for your art until you smothered Veet from hairline to toes... and removed some of your hairline (back of neck).
I did this for Shaak Ti so I could body paint and glue a bald cap and headpiece...
http://neimhaille.tumblr.com

And yes vaseline is a no no with latex. Petrochemicals full stop. Olive oil would be fine but not baby oil. Some cosmetics will not be suitable at all with it but you can tint latex with acrylic paint/ink. So long as you keep below 1/3 paint to latex it won't affect the strength.
Actually even sweat and body oils will eventually break down latex.

Oh and the smells f latex are... fun...

High ammonia content in most slip latex means when uncured you do *not* sniff it. Do not! Once cured it smells like balloons. When you cast a huge amount it starts to feel like you are living in a balloon....
neimhaille
neimhaille
Armageddon Cosplay Contest Judge

Number of posts : 661
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosplay New Zealand :: Cosplay :: Wigs, Make-up and Crossplay-