Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wanting advice from Aucklanders :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Wanting advice from Aucklanders :)
Post By collarander. 02/03/11, 05:39 am

I wasn't sure where to post this topic, but random seems pretty all purpose lol, so here goes~

I'm from Christchurch and as many people know, a man by the name of Ken Ring is predicting a big shake on the 20th of March. My parents are worried about it, so they've decided to take a family holiday up to Auckland for a week or two around that time. (So roughly...15th - 22/29? of March?)
I've been looking at accommodation sites on the net and they're kinda pricey...cheapest I've found for 5 people is about $150 a night, which doesn't sound too bad until you kinda add it up..then it's like $1050 per week >.>

So I'm appealing to Aucklanders to help me out, if you know any great spots to stay, or know somebody when has a rental property that doesn't currently have tenants, and wouldn't mind renting out for around 2 weeks, it would be great if you could let me know.

In terms of location, I'm really hoping for a spot not too far from the link bus route, maybe Newmarket or Central City, since we'll have to walk or bus everywhere.

I know there are people out there offering free accommodation out there to help out Chchers in need, but in my case I have a large ish group looking for a long...ish stay (lol) so I don't think it's appropriate to accept that kind of generosity, and my parents would be uncomfortable with that idea.

Any help anybody can provide shall be rewarded with Cake

nodnod
collarander
collarander
Ultimatum

Number of posts : 228
Transforms into : a nyan cat? I wish lol
Registration date : 2010-03-18

Wanting advice from Aucklanders :) Vide
Back to top Go down
http://www.collarander.deviantart.com

Re: Wanting advice from Aucklanders :)
Post By P.O.D. 02/03/11, 08:53 am

I wouldn't go with the rental option. Iv'e seen in the paper that the rental situation in Auckland is NUTS at the moment. even people looking for a home to live in are having trouble
P.O.D
P.O.D
Unexplanatory

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2011-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post By Rolly. 02/03/11, 10:33 am

Maybe they can try backpackers? I'm sure there's at least 3 of them on/off Queen St.

Don't go for Newmarket, it's sooooo hardcore and pricey.

You could try looking on Trade Me. Maybe even a place in a holiday camp/park?

Otherwise I'm pretty clueless. Good luck though. :)
Rolly
Rolly
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2918
Transforms into : a stylish shoe for the blind earthbender
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post By collarander. 02/03/11, 12:00 pm

P.O.D wrote:
I wouldn't go with the rental option. Iv'e seen in the paper that the rental situation in Auckland is NUTS at the moment. even people looking for a home to live in are having trouble

Oh really? Darn, well I guess I'll keep looking at holiday apartments. Thanks for the info. Very Happy

Rolly wrote:
Maybe they can try backpackers? I'm sure there's at least 3 of them on/off Queen St.

Don't go for Newmarket, it's sooooo hardcore and pricey.

You could try looking on Trade Me. Maybe even a place in a holiday camp/park?

Otherwise I'm pretty clueless. Good luck though. :)

Hmm I hadn't considered backpackers, I'll take a look at that, but my parents might want a spot with a bit more...personal space? lol
And no wonder, I thought Newmarket should have been a lil cheaper because it just outside the central city but that completely explains why everything I found cost a bit.
And I'm looking at TradeMe, though most places are looking for long term tenants, and I also found lots of expensive places in Newmarket there lol.

I'll keep searching, thanks for the tips guys XD
collarander
collarander
Ultimatum

Back to top Go down

Post By Kat. 03/03/11, 02:28 pm

there is a last minute accommodation site (cheap hotel(30-60 i think) rooms for certain days. probably not a weeks worths but often 3-4 days) I cant rember the sites url but there are some cheap accom auctions on sella.co.nz
Kat
Kat
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post By collarander. 03/03/11, 03:15 pm

Kat wrote:
there is a last minute accommodation site (cheap hotel(30-60 i think) rooms for certain days. probably not a weeks worths but often 3-4 days) I cant rember the sites url but there are some cheap accom auctions on sella.co.nz

Thanks for the info, I went to sella and found an apartment company off that called Empire Apartments that are a bit cheaper Very Happy
But the dates I'm looking at are "on request" on the booking menu...not sure if that means they're booked out or not. I guess I'm email them and see lol.

EDIT: Empire apartments are apparently a horrible place to stay, I'm glad I checked out reviews before I booked, I know I wanted cheap, but toilets with stains in them, on them and over the walls is not the way to go. gonk
collarander
collarander
Ultimatum

Back to top Go down

Post By Suixelo. 07/03/11, 01:10 pm

Inner city is incredibly expensive right now because of the Rugby World Cup and increased population and many places are booked out or charging the earth. The paper has been full of stories of people with no where to stay because they can't get a place to rent (as many as 200 people to one showing!!). There is no way I'd recommend staying here! If you think the price is decent, the place will either be TINY, be discusting or will be snapped up before you can see it. I'm serious, sorry!

Try on the North Shore, the rent shouldn't be as bad and the places are way bigger. Much nicer living, too. Inner city apartments are tiny and over expensive, I live in one haha. North Shore bus system to town is pretty decent depending on where you are, have a google maps search about the different suburbs along with trademe and see what you can find. Good luck!
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3569
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post By collarander. 08/03/11, 03:41 am

Suixelo wrote:
Inner city is incredibly expensive right now because of the Rugby World Cup and increased population and many places are booked out or charging the earth. The paper has been full of stories of people with no where to stay because they can't get a place to rent (as many as 200 people to one showing!!). There is no way I'd recommend staying here! If you think the price is decent, the place will either be TINY, be discusting or will be snapped up before you can see it. I'm serious, sorry!

Try on the North Shore, the rent shouldn't be as bad and the places are way bigger. Much nicer living, too. Inner city apartments are tiny and over expensive, I live in one haha. North Shore bus system to town is pretty decent depending on where you are, have a google maps search about the different suburbs along with trademe and see what you can find. Good luck!

Thanks for the info~! I saw on the news that a huge amount of Chch people were moving to Auckland lol, and from the bookings I've seen, most places are unavailable for 19-20th, big hint as to why XD
I really should find a booking soon, I'll take a look at different areas in Auckland, and I shall make my deadline for booking tomorrow!
collarander
collarander
Ultimatum

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content