Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Murder at the Manor

Go to page : Previous  1, 2
View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Re: Murder at the Manor
Post By Aikome. 12/05/10, 12:22 pm

Phlaming Phoenix- wrote:
Im fairly sure its Kit. I dont know why, but i trust martin. It could easily have been him since he seems to weild a fair amount of authority in the group, but i still find kit more suspect. i have one other suspicion, but yeah..

This~
And IDK why, don't like Kit. Though if it was Martin, it would be a bit cliche.
His whole don't-mess-with-the-murderscene-Jack could be taken two ways, depending if he really is a cop. ^ ^;

/uselesspost.
Aikome
Aikome
TEH WIZARD OF OZ.

Number of posts : 1564
Transforms into : TROLL :3
Registration date : 2009-04-03

Murder at the Manor - Page 2 Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Admin. 12/05/10, 12:38 pm

I think it's Kit personally. Everything I said + what was said in the most recent story kinda makes me sure. :/

And all that about Martin not being a cop etc. Well. I'm willing to bet Kit wasn't actually sleeping, and was listening in. She could easily work up that little story. I assume she planted the pills on the boat then.
Admin
Admin
Winner of the Golden Gun Award

Number of posts : 2982
Transforms into : yo mama.
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down
http://authenticsowilo.deviantart.com/

Post By SoulessPuppet. 12/05/10, 02:55 pm

Yeah I think its Kit as well... 'Cause Alicia's room was a mess and Martin said that she could've been moved back to the room. Being that Kit is a woman she could've had difficulty dragging a corpse back to it's own room... Plus she is starting to get very suspicious..
Can't wait for the next part~
SoulessPuppet
SoulessPuppet
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 642
Transforms into : *Kupo.*
Registration date : 2009-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post By Zeorymer. 13/05/10, 08:34 am

Murder at the Manor -7-
Quote :
Their hearts were heavy with the thought of leaving Tom to fend for himself in the mansion, but the rain was just as hard, as they ran down the path away from the mansion. The sky was black with rain and the footings were unsure, but Selene, Jack and Kit managed to make their way to the pier without accident. Jack yelled something and pointed to a small boathouse, but the wind snatched the words away. Regardless, all humans understand finger pointing, so they made their way to the small wooden boathouse.
It was poor quality compared to the mansion they had just vacated, it was wooden and most surprisingly, unlocked. The rain herded them through the door like sheep.
Jack found a light switch, and a small bulb illuminated the boathouse. Most of the room was taken up by a an upturned dinghy, and the walls were lined with lifejackets and other sea-faring equipment. Selene and Kit were taking lifejackets down from their hooks for use as cushions when Jack turned the gun on Kit. Kit froze.
“Were you talking to Richard on the boat ride here?”
“Yes? Why?” Kit looked confused, but there was indeed a gun pointed at her. Selene backed away to stand next to Jack.
“What did you talk to him about?”
“Well, he was reading this book called 'It's A High Stakes Game', so I asked what it was about, and he said it was a 'how to play poker' guide. A bit of background reading he said. Then he asked me what I was doing on this trip, and I said that I was taking a break before exams.”
“I have end-of-semester tests coming up and I was studying hard and getting stressed so I thought taking a break could help, because stress and study was ruining my sleep. He was interested in why I was stressed, so I told him what I was studying and that it was quite cut-throat and you needed good grades. I said I was taking sleeping pills a friend gave me to help me sleep at night because I wasn't able to fall asleep at night like usual and it was affecting my study.”
“Then he got all interested in the sleeping pills, so I took them out of my bag and showed him. Then he showed me the gun and said he was a cop, and that I wasn't allowed to have unprescribed sleeping pills this strong, and took them off me, said getting them from a friend instead of a doctor is the same as getting drugs illegally.”
“He had a point” said Selene. “There are other ways to cure insomnia before you turn to pills.”
Jack lowered the gun. “So he confiscated your pills.”
“Yeah.” Kit looked less worried now Jack wasn't pointing a gun at her. “Although, I was feeling a bit angry with him and didn't keep talking with him.”
"And that's how you knew Martin wasn't a cop? Because he had Richard's gun."
"Yeah, it's got a long scratch down the left side." They checked the gun in Jack's hand, and it did indeed seem to be true.
Jack sighed and tucked the gun back into his belt. “Lets make this place more comfortable” he said, grabbing some lifejackets off the wall.

Martin entered the kitchen, but there was no sign of Tom. Nothing looked disturbed from the last time he had been here, except for an empty glass beside one of the sinks.
Martin sighed, and moved through to the servants room, but still no sign of Tom. 'Maybe he had gone to the toilet?' Martin pondered, but checking both bathrooms upstairs and still no sign of Tom, he began to worry.
He went back down the main staircase and entered the sitting room, although this time, it was quiet. Jack, Selene and Kit were missing. Martin swore. Not wishing to remain unarmed at a time like this, Martin grabbed an iron poker from beside the fireplace and went back out into the entrance hall.
He looked to the open kitchen door, then to main door. It was raining heavily outside, and he couldn't see very far outside the door. Martin thought about locking himself in his room until the boat came tomorrow, but when he looked back up the main staircase, he saw that the doors to the private quarters were ajar. It took him less than two seconds to decide to investigate.
He pushed the doors open to reveal a small hallway, remarking that the last time he had thought about these doors, they had been tested to be locked. Clearly, someone with the keys was on this island.
The hall had four doors, with a large suit of armour with a set of crossed swords standing to his left. A quick opening of the doors visible revealed a master bedroom, a slightly smaller bedroom (although they were both very large), a gaudy bathroom, and a study. A quick glance told him that these rooms hadn't been lived in recently, so Martin decided to check out the study first.
Unlike the bedroom, this had the look of being more recently used. Although the books on their shelves looked untouched, the writing desk facing the window had stacks of papers. There was a laptop too, and that's what Martin went for first. He thought he was being quite the detective when he powered it up, but forgot about the password screen to log in. Martin sighed and shut it down. He picked up the stack of papers instead and began to flick through them.

It got dark quickly that night. The rain refused to lessen, the visibility stayed low. Selene had been trying to get the phone to turn on, but with no luck. Their morale remained low, when Kit suddenly had an idea – to put the SIM card from the phone into one of theirs. It fitted into Jack's phone, but realized that the effort was indeed futile, nothing was saved onto the SIM card except a few personal numbers, none of which they could identify.
A cold wind blew through the boathouse. It was designed to keep out the rain, but the small wooden building was not intended to be lived in.
Jack stood up. “It's getting dark. I'm thinking of going back to the mansion to grab some blankets and sheets from the sitting room. Maybe some food.”
“Are you sure you'll be OK?” Kit asked.
“No worries. If I see Martin it won't end well for him.” Jack grabbed a big flashlight from one of the shelves and turned it on. “I'll be seeing you girls real soon. Five minutes, tops.”
Jack left the boathouse and walked off into the night. The sheets of rain soon obstructed him and his light from view.

The pages were indecipherable to Martin, all codes, long numbers and lists of names- none of which he recognized. Some of the pages were marked with a company logo and the name “Paragon”, but he didn't recognize it. After giving up with the papers, he had a few tries to guess the password for the laptop, but to no avail. He hadn't really thought it was going to be that easy.
Darkness fell quickly, and he found himself staring out the window towards the rest of the island. He couldn't see much more than what the light from the house was illuminating. He was staring at the trees bowing in the wind and rain when he realized that the light was wrong – in fact, it was streaming open from a small window or door. Which was altogether odd, he had left no lights on downstairs.
When Martin had reached the bottom of the main staircase, iron poker in hand, he saw that a door behind the staircase had been opened. Presumably a back door, but definitely one he hadn't noticed before. A light was on above the door, illuminating the step down onto a garden path.
Was this where Tom had gone? Or maybe Selene, Jack and Kit had left this way earlier? He ventured out the door and into the darkness and rain.

It had been longer than ten minutes now, Kit and Selene were worried about Jack. They took flashlights from the shelf, and headed out into the night. Hopefully, Jack's lateness would not be for the reason they feared.

The path led twisting through the trees to a clearing not too far from the house, but no light penetrated this grove from the mansion. Martin eyes had adjusted however, and he could see a small amount in front of him despite the weather. And from what he could see, he had come across a huge hole in the ground, surrounded by spotlights facing into it. He stared at it for a few seconds thinking, but the flapping of a tent piqued his curiosity.
A white marquee tent was pitched near this hole, and inside Martin found some tables and lab equipment. Soil samples were neatly arranged on the tables, as were several marked canisters. Martin picked the closest one up, and was not unduly surprised to find it labeled “Cyanide”.
There was a 'Bang' of sorts, and the spotlights were turned on. Martin stepped out of the tent to see that four spotlights were now facing down into the hole he had seen earlier. Against his better judgment, he stepped into the illuminated area and leaned over to look down.
Inside the hole were bodies. Four decomposing bodies wearing servant attire. The pool was filled with water, mud and blood. He realized now why no servants had been waiting on their arrival.
Martin was mulling over who could have killed the servants when sharp pain pierced his side, like he had been stabbed by a long blade. He gasped, fell to his knees, his body resting on the iron poker in his right hand. The blade was pulled out, and Martin twisted around to see what was going on.
The glare from the spotlights hurt his eyes, but he saw a sword retreat back into the darkness behind the lights.
Martin stood up shakily. He swung the poker wildly while stepping into the darkness, hoping to follow the person who stabbed him. But the figure had not retreated far, Martin stopped swinging and stared at the face of the person who stabbed him.
“You did this?” Martin breathing was ragged.
“Yes.”
“And that would make you the tenth guest... Fenbrook.”
“Yes.” Fenbrook smiled. “At least you, Martin, aren't as clueless as some.”
“Then why? Why have you killed nine people? Why kill us?”
Fenbrook's reaction was sour. “Because my useless partner wanted to build a resort here. I can't have that. I need this island to be mine, for this.” Fenbrook gestured at the tent and the hole in the ground. “What I found, is more valuable than some silly resort.”
“And you needed us dead? Why not buy the island?”
“Because a large serial murder devalues real estate. I intend to make a profit from this. Buy when it's value is low, announce my findings, then sell it for-” CLANG. Martin had swung the poker at Fenbrook's head, but Fenbrook easily parried it, Martin's moves were far too easy to read in his state.
“I'm so glad Martin” Fenbrook smiled, “that you decided to impersonate a cop. Was it to try and keep the pressure up on me? To give hope to the scared sheep?” Fenbrook lashed out, and Martin barely blocked. “You see Martin, all you did was make yourself more suspicious. It was all for nothing. All your good deeds were wasted!”
Martin roared in anger and pain. He swung the poker with the strength he had left, but Fenbrook either dodged or blocked. Rain fell heavily on both fighters.
“It was fun Martin, but I need you to be dead. If there is only one survivor, then there can only be one witness statement. I don't wish to be implicated as the murderer in this.”
Fenbrook swung at Martin's head, and he raised the poker with both hands to block it. He realized too late however that it was a feint, the sword pierced Martin's chest nearly all the way to the hilt. Martin couldn't move and Fenbrook smiled at him.
“I'm so glad I kept these sharp.” Fenbrook let go of the handle, turned, and kicked Martin. Martin stepped backwards, and then fell into the pit with the servants.
Fenbrook looked at Martin's fallen body. “I think thirteen is a good number, don't you agree?”
“What is Paragon?” Martin's words were weak, nearly drowned out by the sound of rain.
“You don't need to know.” Fenbrook turned and left, disappearing into the darkness beyond the illumination of the spotlights.
Martin lay at the bottom of the hole facing the sky. Blood trickled out of his mouth and mixed with water, mud and blood already in the pit. He stared up into the night sky, eyes losing focus. Maybe next time, he thought, he could do better.

Next time - the thrilling conclusion!
Zeorymer
Zeorymer
Winner of the Team Spirit Award

Number of posts : 201
Transforms into : Plot Device
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post By Admin. 13/05/10, 08:49 am

It's no surprise that one of the guests is a Fenbrook.

The question is which oooone...

8| It could still really be any of them. So confuse.

would it be possible (or necessary...?) to have a complete map? 8D

EDIT: Also, a paragon is a person or thing regarded as a perfect example of a particular quality. 8|

I don't know if that's helpful or not...
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post By Zeorymer. 13/05/10, 10:31 am

Admin wrote:
would it be possible (or necessary...?) to have a complete map? 8D

I don't think an updated map is necessary.
Zeorymer
Zeorymer

Back to top Go down

Post By Phlaming Phoenix-. 13/05/10, 10:43 am

I dont think its Kit anymore, but my second suspect has been Tom from the start. I think its Tom now :/
but yeah, look forward to the conclusion!!!
Phlaming Phoenix-
Phlaming Phoenix-
Almighty

Number of posts : 356
Transforms into : Angeal~
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post By SoulessPuppet. 13/05/10, 02:22 pm

\Sigh
I was always horrible at solving crimes involving murder scenes... Reading them sometimes sends me chills... So I'm just waiting for the conclusion >///>
SoulessPuppet
SoulessPuppet
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By m4hiain. 13/05/10, 02:57 pm

YAY martin is dead finally Razz.
But yea really it could be anyone. Jack was alone, Tom was alone. For all we know Selene and Kit couldve got seperated. (Probably not). Or maybe its one of the ones whos already died. Murder at the Manor - Page 2 Icon_eek
Yea i like thinking of things that are werid. Always suck at these things.

Yay conclusion. I wanna know who it is.
m4hiain
m4hiain
Ultimatum

Number of posts : 241
Transforms into : Zack! <3
Registration date : 2010-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post By Aikome. 14/05/10, 01:22 pm

For some reason I ruled Jack out from the start . . but now ~
> / / / <
Haha, have no idea.
Aikome
Aikome
TEH WIZARD OF OZ.

Number of posts : 1564
Transforms into : TROLL :3
Registration date : 2009-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post By Zeorymer. 20/05/10, 06:37 am

Murder at the Manor -End-
Quote :
Selene and Kit braved the wet weather, their flashlights arcing beams of light across the island. They walked together towards the mansion, standing eerily before them. The ground was wet and slippery, running was not an option unless they planned on tripping or falling.
They reached the entrance hall, passing the forever opened front door. They stood in the entrance hall dripping in the darkness. Kit went to call out for Jack but Selene stopped her.
“We don't want Martin knowing we're here, Kit”. Her voice was nearly a whisper.
The two girls hurriedly checked the kitchen, but no one was inside. Rain beat against the windows. Jack wasn't in the sitting room with the sheets either.
Returning to the entrance hall Selene and Kit stopped and looked around. They noticed two things wrong with their last impression; firstly, a back door was open, and an outside light was illuminating the rain immediately outside. Secondly, a light was on upstairs. Time was of the essence they agreed, and split up to check this out. Jack couldn't be far.

Selene braved the weather and went out the back door. Her flashlight illuminated many tress and nature, but a few steps forward and the beam landed on something that was the wrong colour. Very wrong. Selene edged closer toward the object, but it wasn't until she was right up close did she recognize it for what it was.
It was Tom, face down in the earth. Selene bent down and checked his pulse, but she couldn't find one. She checked his body with the flashlight, and found a deep wound in his back, but couldn't understand what could have made a gash like that. Had he been running away from Martin? She faced the direction she thought Tom might had been heading in, and was surprised to see some lights in the distance. Selene mustered her courage, and went to check it out.

The upstairs doors to the master suites should have been locked, but the doors were open and a light was visible coming from a room upstairs. Kit held her flashlight in her hand like a mace and entered.
There was a small hallway, a suit of armour with it's arms out standing to Kit's left. She tiptoed to the door that the light was coming from and peeked around the corner.

Selene headed towards the lights she could see ahead. The rain pelted down and the wind rustled the trees. Suddenly she stopped. Was someone there? She swung her flashlight around in the dark, but saw nothing. The wind howled again, so she hunched her shoulders against it and carried on.

The study appeared to be empty, so Kit lowered her flashlight. A laptop hummed on the desk showing a password screen. Some papers were stacked messily next to the laptop. Maybe, thought Kit, someone had been here recently. But weren't these doors locked last night? Kit couldn't recall if they had been locked when she went downstairs in the morning either. She sat down in the chair and began to flick through the papers.

Selene reached the lights in the forest. It turned out they were powerful spotlights, facing downwards to a hole in the ground. What was in the hole? Selene reached the edge and looked down to find five bodies, one of which was Martin's. Selene stifled a scream and turned around quickly to face the mansion. If the killer wasn't Martin, then who was it? She ran towards the mansion to find Kit, rain lashing her face. For if it wasn't Kit, it must be Jack...

Kit was looking at one paper in particular, a transaction. Whoever this Fenbrook was, they were planning on buying a large amount of shares in a company called Paragon. Kit didn't know what Paragon did, but no more information was yielded to her by any of the other papers. She sighed and gazed out the window towards the island. The rain fell quietly from where she sat, and she had almost relaxed when the boom of thunder made Kit jump. But had there been lightning? He stood up, and clasped her flashlight. She could hear people running downstairs. Kit burst out of the study and into the entrance hall.

Kit couldn't see anyone from the top of the stairs, but as she descended, Selene ran back into the entrance hall from the back door. Their eyes met, and then they met at the foot of the stairs.
“Kit, I found Tom. And Martin. They're both...” Selene didn't need to finish that sentence. “We should go back to the boathouse.”
Kit agreed, and they both ran out the front door.
But they didn't have to run far when they found a body face down on the ground with a sword sticking out it's back. Jack, carrying a heap of sheets was dead before them. Selene brought her hands up to her face to hide the body from view.
Kit fell to her knees beside Jack's lifeless body and cried. Everyone was dead. Everyone. All except her and Selene were gone. Dead and gone. All except Selene. Selene...
Kit fumbled with Jack's belt, but only for a moment, and then the gun she knew he had been carrying was free, in her hands and facing Selene.
“You did it. I didn't do it, so you must have done it!” Kit's eyes were blurry with tears, and her hands were shaking. Rain poured heavily on the two of them.
“What? No, I couldn't have!”
“You did! You killed Tom and Martin... and Jack!”
“When I found them, they were already dead!” Selene eyes were wide, and she was panic-stricken.
Kit closed her eyes and fired, once, point-blank into Selene's chest. Selene paused, then collapsed onto her back. She lay there, staring at Kit.
“I...didn't...”
The gun left Kit's hands and fell with a splat onto the wet grass at Kit's knees. She cried at the lifeless body before her, and the dying girl across from her.

- - -

Time passed. Rain had thoroughly soaked Kit as she knelt there crying beside two dead bodies.
Then, a ringing could be heard from one of Jack's pockets. Kit grabbed at the sound. It was Jack's phone. It was ringing. Why was it ringing? To tired to question it properly, she answered it.
“Richard, it's Miles. Look, sorry partner, someone sabotaged the cell tower, that's why I haven't been able to get in contact with you... Are you crying, you big wuss?”
“They're all dead!” Kit was crying as she held the phone to her ear. “I killed someone... and they're all dead...”
“Whoa, hold on. Who is this? How do you have- OK. Listen. We're sending a boat. Half an hour, tops.”
“I didn't do it”
“OK sweetheart, I understand. Do you know who did?”
“They're all dead. And I killed a woman. But she said she didn't do it. And now I'm the only one left-” A new wave of tears gushed from Kit.
“OK. It's fine. Just go down to the dock or pier or wherever the boats come in and wait for the coastguard boat. Keep talking to me. It'll help.”
Kit stood up shakily, and walked down towards the boathouse. The phone was pressed tightly to her ear with both hands, her only lifeline.

Kit didn't have to wait long at the dock. A few minutes after she arrived at the boathouse, a rather large boat was pulling up at the pier. She had calmed down a great deal talking with Miles.
“Miles, your boat is here. Thank you.”
“Thank you? I'm still at the station. I probably won't see you for quite a while. Just turn yourself in to the coastguard and I'll see you when you get back to the mainland.”
“That's not you getting off the boat with the phone in hand?”
“No...”
The man Kit was referring to now stood on the dock facing Kit. He was wearing clothes that were all black and talking into what Kit had assumed was a phone, but was actually a short-range two-way radio. Who was he talking to?
“Kit, according to the reports here, the coastguard hasn't reached the Fenbrook island yet-”
Kit heard a gunshot, and then pain was spreading through her back. A second crack, and Kit was dead, a hole in the back of her head. The man in black smiled at the assassin behind Kit.
“All done then, Miss Fenbrook?”
Alicia smiled and lowered Richard's gun. “I'm finished here, Stuart. Lets be going then, time's wasting.”
Stuart returned the smile, boarded the boat and started the engine.

And it's over! I hope this was as thrilling as you expected, I certainly enjoyed it. I'll post the epilogue when I feel like it. Already started the draft for the sequel, so the first part for that should be up in a week or two (or three, depending on jury service).
Zeorymer
Zeorymer

Back to top Go down

Post By Admin. 20/05/10, 06:43 am

I-- What? The thought crossed my mind that it could have been someone already dead - but certainly not Alicia. And I didn't really think it was possible. D8

...HOW?
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post By Lumissne. 20/05/10, 07:46 am

Admin wrote:

...HOW?

DITTO O.O
Lumissne
Lumissne
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1047
Transforms into : Piphopopotamus.
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post By m4hiain. 20/05/10, 09:13 am

You did make it someone who was died.
I said that right at the end. How could you! Theres always some wee twist.
If i was going to be someone dead i wouldve said alicia because her death was the most suspicious. There was no physical wound. And she probably took that drug that can slow your heart down so much that you seem dead. Before her death thou she never did anything suspicious thou.
m4hiain
m4hiain
Ultimatum

Back to top Go down

Post By Zeorymer. 20/05/10, 09:38 am

m4hiain wrote:
And she probably took that drug that can slow your heart down so much that you seem dead.
No. Firstly, no such drug was ever mentioned in the story. Secondly, in my mind, that violates Knox's 4th.
Quote :
No hitherto undiscovered poisons may be used, nor any appliance which will need a long scientific explanation at the end.
Zeorymer
Zeorymer

Back to top Go down

Post By m4hiain. 20/05/10, 10:16 am

Tru that would violate it a bit. Murder at the Manor - Page 2 724438

Maybe a stick on knife handle? Martin didn't let Jack pull that one out for once.
Yeah ill stopping guessing now and wait to see what you write in the epilogue.
m4hiain
m4hiain
Ultimatum

Back to top Go down

Post By SoulessPuppet. 20/05/10, 10:34 am

What...
That was truly unexpected...
But I still love the thrill of detective stories~!

Last night I had a nightmare about being in the mansion and seeing a woman kill everyone.. But who would've thought that it was Alicia? C:
SoulessPuppet
SoulessPuppet
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By Zeorymer. 14/06/10, 07:25 am

Epilogue is canned, its too weird. It will be integrated into the next story instead.
Zeorymer
Zeorymer

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content