Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

2010 Wellygeddon Photo Topic (post all photo links here)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Re: 2010 Wellygeddon Photo Topic (post all photo links here)
Post By Luluz_luv. 05/04/10, 10:54 am

i think the photographers do an amazing job, they work all day so we get nice pics.
you dont HAVE to have your photo taken im sure a no thankyou would be sufficient.
considering alot of people go onto the photographers websites and take/copy the pictures for free.

Luluz_luv
Soldier A

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-01-11

2010 Wellygeddon Photo Topic (post all photo links here) - Page 2 Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By seraphik. 05/04/10, 10:57 am

Luluz_luv wrote:
i think the photographers do an amazing job, they work all day so we get nice pics.

they do work hard! and 90% of the photographers at geddon are very polite and friendly.

Luluz_luv wrote:
you dont HAVE to have your photo
taken im sure a no thankyou would be sufficient.
considering alot of
people go onto the photographers websites and take/copy the pictures for
free.

exactly. if you're turning down a photo, as i said, it should be done politely.
seraphik
seraphik
transient mod of fury

Number of posts : 4598
Transforms into : a post-graduate
Registration date : 2007-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post By Li-Bai. 05/04/10, 10:57 am

This is taken from BehindInfinity's Tux Team Guide to... Convention Ettiquete, which I posted in the Convention Tips a while ago.

Quote :
COSPLAYERS ARE NOT MASCOTS
Cosplayers aren't paid to stand there and pose for you. Most of us are willing and happy to take pictures with other people but PLEASE ASK. AND DO IT NICELY. By that, I don't mean yelling "HEY LET ME TAKE A PICTURE OF YOU" while forcefully pulling us away from our friends. That's not asking for permission. Asking would entail actually giving the receiving party a choice.

Also, don't force cosplayers into situations that would cause them physical or emotional distress. Don't pressure them to do yaoi or yuri or pose in manners that they aren't comfortable with.

THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU
Please be considerate. If you see a cosplayer engaged in a conversation, it's best to wait until they're done before you ask to take their picture. It would also be a big help if everyone could please PLEASE wait for their turn. It gets really confusing when we're pulled away from each other and don't even know where to look anymore.

Also, WHEN COSPLAYERS ARE EATING, LEAVE THEM ALONE. Do you really want pictures of us while our mouths are full of food? Come on. (Eating time is a very personal time. Please allow us this break.)

BAWWWW OMG BETCH WOULDN'T LET ME GET A PICTURE!!1
If you ask for a photo, and a cosplayer politely declines, let them go. If you aren't a renowned blowhole or pervert, it's probably nothing personal. Like I mentioned above, cosplayers aren't paid mascots. They aren't obligated to pose for you. We have our own lives and our own things to deal with so there are times when posing for a picture is the last thing in our minds.

My friends and I sometimes have to decline requests for photos and ask them if we could postpone it for later for reasons such as:
1. We're not completely dressed yet or our costumes need adjusting. This is because, as much as possible, we hope to look our best for you.
2. We have something urgent to attend to, like setting up our merchandise booth or if we have tasks to carry out (like being a judge or a panelist) during a convention.
3. There is an emergency we need to deal with immediately, such as a friend losing their belongings. Or when the call of nature is particularly strong.
4. You might have caught us speaking to a friend and we would really appreciate if you could allow us to finish our conversation.
5. We feel like we're about to collapse from a combination of starvation and dehydration and would very much like to be excused briefly to replenish our systems in order to stay in the world of the living.

(No. 5 IS THE MOST COMMON OFFENSE!!! To those of you who regularly read my journals, you might know that when it comes to me and my friends, TO KEEP US AWAY FROM OUR FOOD IS A MOST UNHOLY ACT!)

YOUR PRINCIPLES ARE NOT THE SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE'S
As for the people who do not want their pictures taken at all - leave them alone. Nowhere does it say "Upon entering the convention venue in costume, you must subject yourself to the whims of anyone with a camera in their possession." There are some who just enjoy being dressed up as they go around the con, and would prefer not to have complete strangers keep a record of their faces which may end up on the internet or some crazy person's wall.

Just because everyone else is agreeing to have their pictures taken, does not mean that those select few must be forced to follow. Once again - cosplayers are not paid mascots. If they go out of their way to accept your requests and are treat you nicely, it is from the kindness in their hearts and you owe them your thanks.

To camera-wielders: Please try to be understanding.
To cosplayers: If you're going to decline, please do so nicely and perhaps offer a short explanation.

Last edited by Li-Bai on 05/04/10, 11:01 am; edited 3 times in total
Li-Bai
Li-Bai
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2251
Transforms into : a lover and a renegade fighter.
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Back to top Go down
http://li-bai.deviantart.com

Post By Mischa. 05/04/10, 10:58 am

Hey guest18, lets get one thing straight. I cosplay because I love to SEW and I love to MAKE things. I don't reeeealy care about looking like some pretty sexy dolly for some photo. I'm 5 feet nothing and hatchet faced NOT A MODEL.

Also a con is not the best place to get photos. Many of us organise photo shoots amongst ourselves, done with plenty of time, and better choices for location.

I have never said no to a photo, it's very flattering. I don't care if someone snaps me while I am eating or adjusting something - just don't expect me to be a model because I am not.
Mischa
Mischa
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1045
Transforms into : GRIMDARK
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Back to top Go down
http://www.doublestitch.co.nz

Post By Duckeh. 05/04/10, 10:58 am

orz
I rejected photographs many times because I hadn't done my make up and was in the process of fixing up my costume. So like Lucy said. POLITENESS IS GODLY.

I do agree there is a need for improvement in the posing department, but I don't think that's any fault of ours.

MORE PHOTOS, MOAR.
Duckeh
Duckeh
GOD of all things EPIC

Number of posts : 6842
Transforms into : YO BUTT.
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down
http://www.duckeh.com

Post By Riven_. 05/04/10, 10:59 am

Hey guys, this topic is for people to link their wellygeddon photos~ If you want to have a discussion about photo-taking etiquette at cons, start a thread in the rants or photography subforum!

Thank you. :3
Riven_
Riven_
Advice Guru

Number of posts : 1961
Transforms into : The Procrastinator!
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down
http://crescent-fall.livejournal.com

Post By sakuramiyabi. 05/04/10, 11:00 am

@guest18 comment:
I agree I am sorry guys but I really do agree. And I'm not agreeing just because we are both from Malaysia I am agreeing because it is true and while everyone did provide valid points. Tiredness is not an excuse. Not for me either. God knows how much sleep cosplayers in Singapore and Malaysia get before the con. Cosplayers will be cosplayers we always run late, things run behind schedule etc.

And as Lucy said people are rude and don't ASK that is the main point. If you want a good photo of the cosplayer ASK because as it is its difficulr ro get a good photo of a cosplayer in a convention. What with the crap lighting and movement and crampedness.

And as SonicReducer said, Yes we are a young cosplayer community but that is what research and practice is for. I personally never cosplay a character without researching it before hand and practicing signature poses (//is still trying to do Rue's pose from the CG its impossible DAMN YOU HTK =W=)

@animemay =w=;; silly girl it is out every right to turn down a photogra[her de to various reasons. I mean the cosplayer could very well be feeling sick, want to take a break or want to go bathroom. I mean seriously you wouldnt want to take a picture of a cosplayer bursting to go to the bathroom? I would imagine the picture wouldn't come out very welkl with a constipated face. So while rejection does hurt please don't take it personally as a photographer. It's called right to privacy thank you very much.

@lucy: lol smarmy wrench XDDD and entirely agreed with lucy. If you want a photograph ask nicely and 99% of the time the cosplayer will pose nicely for you. I mean which cosplayer will ever turn down a picture because they are afraid of the camera? It kind of defeats the purpose of cosplaying honestly. Bedause admitted or not. All of use are attention whores to an extent 83

I will personally say. Yes I do need improvement posing, technically and makeup wise 83

Sorry Riven I just HAD to post my text wall of opinion =w=;; because this kind critiscm is to be expected and you must say that at least it is constructive with a warning of "may be offensive" but yes entirely off topic but then again better than making an entire new thread saying this.

Last edited by kagerouhi on 05/04/10, 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
sakuramiyabi
sakuramiyabi
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3941
Transforms into : Melted pool of something
Registration date : 2008-01-09

Back to top Go down
http://sakuramiyabi019.deviantart.com

Post By Pura. 05/04/10, 11:03 am

NZ is small. We cosplay for fun. Lots of asian cosplayers (apparently) don't make their cosplays and get them commissioned - they think of the best cosplay and wear it and the PURPOSE of their cosplay is to have photos taken - your photo only gets taken if you're one of the better cosplayers. They practise their poses to get photos taken. (I know Korea's a bit like this, dunno about other countries).

As for rejecting photos - Syill did it a few times because she 1) was a bunny girl by herself as the other two hadn't arrived and she was waiting for them and 2) she didn't have make up on yet and didn't want photos with it not on. If someone says no it could be because they are busy or do not yet look their best. Although I think it's polite to say WHY you don't want your photo taken xP.
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post By Keysha-chan. 05/04/10, 11:07 am

Hey guys? I know this is starting to go into
debate, and I understand the reason for wanting to put your 2 cents
forward, but a mod has stepped in and asked this to be moved to a
different thread now, so it's best to get back to photos and such.

Mine
will be...soon. XO Ugh, need to find my camera chord!

(Also, sorry if you saw this as Mischa's one, I accidentally posted on her account X3)
Keysha-chan
Keysha-chan
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Back to top Go down
http://www.Keysha-chan.deviantart.com

Post By seraphik. 05/04/10, 11:08 am

^ agreed, this has gotten a little out of hand. if you want to contribute to the discussion, please do so here: http://forum.cosplay.co.nz/photography-f20/cosplay-photography-etiquette-t3225-30.htm

otherwise, from now on, only photo links please.
seraphik
seraphik
transient mod of fury

Back to top Go down

Post By Pura. 05/04/10, 11:10 am

Sorry, mine went through before I saw the mod post OTL.

Anyway, I'll post my photos as soon as I get working batteries 8D;;
Or at least try get some up. My computer is a bit ... well ... moody 8D;;
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 05/04/10, 11:17 am

seraphik wrote:
there are a number of reasons for cosplayers to reject having their photo taken. maybe they don't feel comfortable/think their costume looks right or good enough, maybe they're on their way somewhere else, maybe they're eating.

but if they reject a photo, they should do so politely. on the flipside, if asking for a photo, it should be done politely.

Yes, I'm not disagreeing with whats been said but I'm just trying to give a different perspective and reason why photographers might do what they do.

But what I dont get is the ones who reject all the request and then expect people to upload their photos. I mean obviously once you've turned someone down a photographer they will never ask again.

edited: Oops my bad already posted.

(I agree with Pura's view they should at least have the curteousy to explain why they refuse a photo mostly when the reasons not so obvious or else we feel a bit ridiculuous).

Last edited by animemay on 05/04/10, 11:21 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post By seraphik. 05/04/10, 11:19 am

animemay wrote:
seraphik wrote:
there are a number of reasons for cosplayers to reject having their photo taken. maybe they don't feel comfortable/think their costume looks right or good enough, maybe they're on their way somewhere else, maybe they're eating.

but if they reject a photo, they should do so politely. on the flipside, if asking for a photo, it should be done politely.

Yes, I'm not disagreeing with whats been said but I'm just trying to give a different perspective and reason why photographers might do what they do.
But what I dont get is the ones who reject all the request and then expect people to upload their photos. I mean obviously once you've turned someone down a photographer they will never ask again.

as said above, please continue this discussion here: http://forum.cosplay.co.nz/photography-f20/cosplay-photography-etiquette-t3225-30.htm

this thread is for wellington photo links.
seraphik
seraphik
transient mod of fury

Back to top Go down

Post By Keysha-chan. 05/04/10, 11:23 am

Thanks Lucy! Posted in there now, hopefully it will get the ball rolling and off this page. :3
Keysha-chan
Keysha-chan
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Back to top Go down
http://www.Keysha-chan.deviantart.com

Post By mystix-candy. 05/04/10, 01:36 pm

Can't give photos now D: Still in Welly on holiday with mama~ but hopefully they'll be up on Thursday~
plz excuse my photos if half of them are not at geddon itself XD (some are from deceptivemagick's birthday and karaoke night c: )
mystix-candy
mystix-candy
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2542
Transforms into : 5th Generation Anti Shadow Suppression Weapon
Registration date : 2009-07-25

Back to top Go down
http://mystix-candy.deviantart.com

Post By Crimson Dragon. 05/04/10, 01:42 pm

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=156785&id=662727741
those are day one photos but i'll upload the rest soon.
Crimson Dragon
Crimson Dragon
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 738
Transforms into : Zorua
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post By deceptivemagick. 05/04/10, 01:53 pm

Heres what few photos i have (most pics were taken by Bex or other friends)

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=163998&id=559997830&l=02301d332f
deceptivemagick
deceptivemagick
lucky*

Number of posts : 1115
Transforms into : an epic fire breathing dragon
Registration date : 2009-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post By TinTango. 05/04/10, 01:56 pm

Here's my Team Fortress 2 pics, this grp was awesome, and I will post vids up over next few days too. Oh, they're best seen on slideshow (I just found out now).
http://pbckt.com/sI.9LA

big img demonstration of TF2 epicness
Spoiler:

and TF2 lolz
Spoiler:

Shameless I know, but if you're interested we're recruiting for the TF2 group for Auckgeddon this year, on Saturday:
http://forum.cosplay.co.nz/auckgeddon-f7/sat-team-fortress-2-group-10-all-day-ctf-t8460.htm

Last edited by TinTango on 06/04/10, 05:16 am; edited 1 time in total
TinTango
TinTango
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1278
Transforms into : whelmed. Not over or under. Just whelmed.
Registration date : 2008-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 05/04/10, 02:05 pm

@TinTango: AHAHAHAAH I love your avatar so much! chuu~!

@Thread: ...just to make it legal, Jp is starting to get his photos up this evening, and mine will be up this week. I'm doing the cull of the crappy ones now, so they should start going up later this evening - but I'm not sure I'll get them all up in one night!
Static
Static
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3584
Transforms into : HULKSMASH
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down
http://www.little-noise.com

Post By Zephyr. 05/04/10, 02:09 pm

omg epic photos Tintango, ty for uploading.
Zephyr
Zephyr
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Transforms into : A Software Engineering major.
Registration date : 2009-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post By Li-Bai. 05/04/10, 02:12 pm

TinTango wrote:
and TF2 lolz
Spoiler:

Waitwaitwait - are those actually St. John Ambulance staff you got to be in your picture?? 8Db

@Static yaay, can't wait!! Very Happy
Li-Bai
Li-Bai
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2251
Transforms into : a lover and a renegade fighter.
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Back to top Go down
http://li-bai.deviantart.com

Post By sakuramiyabi. 05/04/10, 02:15 pm

@Static: EXICTEMENT ENSURE //fansqueels
sakuramiyabi
sakuramiyabi
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3941
Transforms into : Melted pool of something
Registration date : 2008-01-09

Back to top Go down
http://sakuramiyabi019.deviantart.com

Post By TinTango. 05/04/10, 02:20 pm

Thanks static, cant wait to see your pics!
No worries Zephyr,
and yes Li Bai (great meeting u at last!) St John's were awesome, here's the first medic pic:
Spoiler:
TinTango
TinTango
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1278
Transforms into : whelmed. Not over or under. Just whelmed.
Registration date : 2008-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post By Zephyr. 05/04/10, 02:49 pm

Damn really wish that Engie hanged with us whilst we took photos yesterday.

Spoiler:
Zephyr
Zephyr
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Transforms into : A Software Engineering major.
Registration date : 2009-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 05/04/10, 03:27 pm

I am on the edge of my seat waiting to Magna Carta Pictures people!! Very Happy lol

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

2010 Wellygeddon Photo Topic (post all photo links here)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosplay New Zealand :: Events :: Wellington Armageddon-