Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Civilization V Announced.

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Post By CMKMStephens. 19/02/10, 09:26 am

Well in the offchance anyone else uses Civilization to eat their time, here we go.

Civilization 5 is announced. They're finally given in to demand for hexagonal tile (rather than square - this means real spherical maps as opposed to weird toroidal ones). Apart from that, looks like it's had a good graphical makeover. Hopefully they focus more on gameplay than prettiness...

Spoiler:

More important details however are mostly limited to substanceless buzzwords like 'unprecedented' however. Civ4's ultimate failing was its poor coding, and total lack of multi-threading/multi-core support. Made games extremely slow and prone to crashing due to eating all your RAM/Video card RAM. The best efforts of modders at improving speeds have been remarkable, but the main problems are inherant.

Some unamed 'Dutch' Magazine apparently wrote:
- Switch from squares to hexagons changing the way the game plays. More room for maneuvers and more tactical options.
- Changes to combat. More depth in combat, no more stacking of units. This will lead to bigger focus on terrain.
- Inspired by Panzer General.
- Reintroduction of Bombardment, now archers and siege equipment can shoot over melee units.
- Better diplomatic AI.
- More diplomatic options between players.
- Less "cheating" AI.
- Religion is not a factor anymore.
- Ressources are not infinite. For example one source of horse only supplies enough horses for 1 unit, but when that horseman dies the horses will respawn as a unit. (this confused me alittle, i guess we will have to watch it in action)
- City States as a sort of small countries that never develop beyond their single city. They can provide bonusses if you befriend them, or you can take over their land.
- Civics are out, now there is something called "Social Policies".
- About the same amount of wonders, the tech tree will feel familiar. Great People still in.
- Some victory conditions changed. For example in Conquest you only have to capture all the other capitals. Eliminates boring mop up phase.
- Unique Civ leader bonusses, no more standard "Spiritual" or "Financial".
- DirectX 11 support.
- Built in webbrowser. Sid Meier is also working on a facebook application of Civilization.

Assuming that's right, the only annoyance there is the religion removed. That was a perfectly good and arguably integral advancement made by Civ4. How else am I going to make enough money for my empire? Hopefully the 'Civics removed' won't be as unpleasant as that sounds either.

So begins the 'Confirmed for Brawl Civ stage of dripfeed announcements for the Civilzations in the game I suppose. The site claims 18 are in, of which America and Germany are already confirmed.
CMKMStephens
CMKMStephens
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 634
Transforms into : Little Nellie
Registration date : 2008-04-13

Civilization V Announced. Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: Civilization V Announced.
Post By Luzkan. 21/02/10, 02:13 pm

Yeah i can't wait i have been playing civ since i was a child it is one of the few games that i always get when they come out.
Luzkan
Luzkan
seXAH <3

Number of posts : 99
Transforms into : BigD (big daddy)
Registration date : 2010-01-17

Civilization V Announced. Vide
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#/Luzkun?ref=profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1