Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Anime Subbed or dubbed OOH CONTROVERSY!

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Re: Anime Subbed or dubbed OOH CONTROVERSY!
Post By xsilent_shadow_kunx. 09/01/10, 02:07 pm

Admin wrote:
>_> I like both.

And I really don't like the negativity towards dubs. They sound different /because they're in another language/. I mean, you can get really bad ones. (D.N. Angel >_>) But you can also get really good ones. (Ouran. <3)

You can probably also get bad Japanese ones. But you probably won't be able to tell it's bad because /it's in Japanese/.

Yes D.N.Angel -STABS-

And watch Fate/Stay night in Jap and listen to -I think- Sakura her voice is soo annoying!

And for some top notch voice acting watch Chobits (<3 Crispin Freeman TTwTT)

EDIT BY MOD: Please refrain from posting consecutively in one thread, this is called double posting (or triple, quadruple, quintuple, etc.) and is considering a kind of spam. If you have more to say please click the edit button near the top of your post. If you wish to quote multiple people, please select multi-quote on each post you wish to quote and then click "Post Reply" at the top of bottom of the page.
Extra posts edited in below.

Axelinn wrote:
I like both. The original voices are normally nice to listen to and a lot of them have really lovely voices. And it feels good when you recognize some of the words they use *is a dork*

Your not A dork for recognising words they use I love that feeling aswell -except since I learn German when I hear the german people round town (talking about Potato salad true story) I feel so special when i understand them!

Though I do agree some of them do have lovely voices but some Ughh KELLL MEEEH!
E.G Patricia Martin both in Jap and Eng she sounds terrible (specially in the Eng one cos she actually sounds like a man)

iwuvanime wrote:
...or in my case increase the chances of my mother watching them with me (I have managed to get her to watch quite a lot by saying I will keep it in english).

Or on an even rarer occassion I will like neither the Sub or the Dub and just want to rip my ears off.....X the Movie.

Go you mum into anime WEWT!

Fate/Stay Night KILL MEE!

Zephyr wrote:
I mostly watch sub i only watch dub if i bought it on dvd.There are some dubs where it's better than the subs like Eureka 7 or Black Lagoon.I prefer dub for hentai though but there isn't enough dubbed hentai sad.

Mmm *cough* yes hentai lol nah I don't care though I watched a show showing the voice actors in america dubbing over hentai and it was the funniest thing to watch the actress said"This is actually more tiring than the act itself!"

syill wrote:
But I cannot stand American pronunciations of Japanese words Dx

YEASS Hey there Hamewaray chaaaan
xsilent_shadow_kunx
xsilent_shadow_kunx
Soldier A

Number of posts : 8
Transforms into : Your Mummon
Registration date : 2010-01-07

Anime Subbed or dubbed OOH CONTROVERSY! - Page 2 Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By NieN. 09/01/10, 02:22 pm

I'm too used to subs..... when I watch dubbed anime, I look down anyway.
NieN
NieN
Superman

Number of posts : 260
Transforms into : Ho-Oh, lol jks a Hoothoot
Registration date : 2009-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post By PIe. 09/01/10, 02:27 pm

I prefer subs for most animes.

Although if it's Pokemon, CCS, Yu-Gi-Oh! or something I grew up with I prefer the dub because it sounds right.

Not all dubs are bad but some are and some, like Hetalia which should be dubbed late this year I want to be a horrible trainwreck of over the top accents cause it would be hilarious, not that I don't want it to be amazing and accurate either

Generally if it's a show that takes a couple of days to sub I will watch the raw first then check up on what went on with the subs, it makes me feel good because most of the time I'm not that bad.

Another point for subs is that Japanese people do not massacre Japanese pronunciation, hearing someone's name pronounced horribly wrong every 2 minutes kills me.

There are a lot of talented seiyuus out there and far less talented English VA's (who get work), it's way easier for the Japanese cast to be 100% good than the English due to the amount of people in the industry.

All that said I WILL NEVER GIVE UP MY DUBBED POKEMON
PIe
PIe
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2070
Transforms into : The Goddamn Batman
Registration date : 2009-04-09

Back to top Go down
http://Personified-Insanity.deviantart.com

Post By Fartz. 10/01/10, 01:27 pm

yay for sub! Anime Subbed or dubbed OOH CONTROVERSY! - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Fartz
Fartz
Terminator

Number of posts : 79
Transforms into : nyuuuuu!!
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 11/01/10, 03:24 am

Is going to get really strange looks for this but dubbed. Dubbed anime you can tune out, start drawing or even head away for a while and you can still catch up with the storyline and you don't get a sore neck trying to read the text at the bottom of the screen and looking up and down all the time..

Also the Subbed anime is hard for me to understand sometimes, because is trying to imagine what the characters would sound like in English and understand the storyline at the same time.

But sometimes the dub can be so.bad. will change to the sub and will be glad for it.
something like Chrono Crusade where the character Rosette screams and yells all the time, will change to the subb. =]

Poor Rosette, but you get the example. ^^'

Back to top Go down

Post By Basaka. 11/01/10, 04:08 am

Subs because by the time the dubs swing along I cbf rewatching.
Basaka
Basaka
lucky*

Number of posts : 1184
Transforms into : Seiyuufag.
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Back to top Go down
http://www.formspring.me/Basaka

Post By Zephyr. 11/01/10, 06:15 am

I accidently downloaded Ikki Tousen (Battle Vixens) dubbed, it's just not the same as subbed it sounds so awkward sad.
Zephyr
Zephyr
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 738
Transforms into : A Software Engineering major.
Registration date : 2009-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post By moonlight293. 11/01/10, 07:47 am

I have gone completely for subs since I started watching anime properly.

Shows like YuGiOh and DBZ I'm fine with since I grew up with it, but if I tend to always watch subs now if I can. American accent annoys me too much
It feels more genuine to me - and the voice actors are alot more passionate about it (probably because they get more respect over there).

I am used to the subs now, so it doesn't get in the way of watching the actual show :3
moonlight293
moonlight293
Le grande

Number of posts : 192
Transforms into : a Velociraptor
Registration date : 2009-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post By Aikome. 11/01/10, 10:28 am

Subs ^ ^; . . and it's like if I watch subs then dubs, I totally hate the dubs. But if I watch the dubbed then the subbed version I can deal with it.

FMA has real good dubs . . ( a plus when there's alot of talking ) and I've always watched dubbed Naruto.
Aikome
Aikome
TEH WIZARD OF OZ.

Number of posts : 1564
Transforms into : TROLL :3
Registration date : 2009-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post By Zephyr. 11/01/10, 10:33 am

^I don't watch dubbed Naruto but dubbed FMA is awesome sauce.
Zephyr
Zephyr
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 738
Transforms into : A Software Engineering major.
Registration date : 2009-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post By xsilent_shadow_kunx. 13/01/10, 08:33 pm

Zephyr wrote:
^I don't watch dubbed Naruto but dubbed FMA is awesome sauce.

Yea I would agree with that even though Vics voice slightly annoys me he suits Edward!
Though Chobits is also dubbed awesomly well!
xsilent_shadow_kunx
xsilent_shadow_kunx
Soldier A

Back to top Go down

Post By Xx_Lolita_Hime_xX. 14/01/10, 07:16 am

I prefer dubs because watching with subs I miss what action is going on but second or few times I watch it I sometimes watch with subs oh, but Sailor Moon definately has to be dubbed and as for Naruto.....sometimes I would like the subs because we all know dubbed Naruto sounds like he's going through puberty muchXD
Xx_Lolita_Hime_xX
Xx_Lolita_Hime_xX
Le grande

Number of posts : 192
Transforms into : Predator
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post By azeria. 14/01/10, 09:20 am

xsilent_shadow_kunx wrote:

I got so freaked out that Crispin Freeman was voicing Hideki XDD
azeria
azeria
ACB Queen '10

Number of posts : 3226
Transforms into : Rinatron
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down
http://azeriacosplay.tumblr.com/

Post By Lavi_x. 14/01/10, 09:27 am

As long as its not a 4kids dub I will probably tend to enjoy it dubbed, but I usually prefer subs, cbf waiting a few years for a dub to come out for new anime >_>
Lavi_x
Lavi_x
noodletastic

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post By xsilent_shadow_kunx. 14/01/10, 10:58 am

azeria wrote:
xsilent_shadow_kunx wrote:

I got so freaked out that Crispin Freeman was voicing Hideki XDD

Haha whys that?!
xsilent_shadow_kunx
xsilent_shadow_kunx
Soldier A

Back to top Go down

subs or dubs? (dont know if this has been posted yet but meh)
Post By DarkGaia. 29/01/10, 09:31 am

Some confused me about Auckgeddon, when Ringe red out "Subs or dubs", then said immediately after "Thats obvious", I didnt know what she meant . .

Does it mean that subs are better? or dubs?

I personally like dubs better because reading subtitles just gets annoying, Shana is the only one id go that far for : DD (Theres so many things I could controdict myself about that statement, its to humid to go back and correct it)

Okay, no weeaboo arguments, everyone is entitled to thar opinions.

Mkay? Anime Subbed or dubbed OOH CONTROVERSY! - Page 2 375551
DarkGaia
DarkGaia
Superman

Number of posts : 264
Transforms into : Ceres. Phuket in Thailand YEAH 8D
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post By Li-Bai. 29/01/10, 09:41 am

I forsee great debate for this thread...

I don't mind either and I will willingly watch both. It's especially interesting to see how Japanese puns or jokes translate. Reading subtitles all the time does get annoying, esp. if you're trying to multitask. It seems me that dubs always get a bad rap because it didn't match the Japanese (voice pitch/mood) not the same- does it have to be?? x___o

I think people seem quicker to latch onto dubs and complain because it's in a language you actually understand and you're not trying to keep up with subtitles so you've less to concentrate so hard on and can notice more, to an extent. There'll always be good dubs and bad subs - Black Cat, for example is a really good dub imho. Likewise, there will be good subs/raws and bad subs/raws.

That's my two cents five cents ten cents. You actually get to appreciate dub work more once you've dabbled in voice acting yourself, I find.

-thumbsup-

Last edited by Li-Bai on 29/01/10, 09:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Li-Bai
Li-Bai
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2251
Transforms into : a lover and a renegade fighter.
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Back to top Go down
http://li-bai.deviantart.com

Post By Sonic Reducer. 29/01/10, 09:46 am

Sadly like any sub culture, its a contest, you look at any other them and it seems to be a contest of who has the best clothes and listens to the more "real" music or whatever. Anime fans are no exception in this case and pretty much if you mention the word "dub" outloud you commit social suicide with the group.

For me its reflectant on a few factors. some dubs ARE better. No ifs or buts, and I can argue this point all day long if you want.

On top of that some times i will be watching an anime dvd with someone who isn't a "geek". So to cater to them as my guest I will watch dubbed because its unlikely they care how much more accurate the original script is or that billy sushi did it before chip voicington and therefore is the only one worthy of our respect.

Lastly, sometimes im tired, and I want to watch a dvd for its main purpose.. no not social status, but for entertainment, and watching a dvd half asleep and trying to read subs at the same time is bloody annoying and near impossible. So will use dubs in this case.

Im a huge fan of foreign films (and by this i dont mean japanese, but also french, russian, german, whatever) and again These factors will come into play to a similar extent, since most/none have dubs its really am i in the mood to read the screen as well as watch a movie, sometimes yes sometimes no, and is my date/friend/cat also willing to.

There souldnt be an arguement about it ever but we will always fight over who is the coolest or what not. The reality is, you're most likely watching these dvds home alone or with a few close friends. So what does it matter?

Yes I understand that subs are the original script and for whatever reason the english version will not be as faithful, however this is because of cultural reasons more often and unless you know everything about japanese culture, even then dubs may be better.

Its crazy this whole thing. Some one please explain it to me beyond my agressive nut ball conspiracy theories.
Sonic Reducer
Sonic Reducer
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 675
Transforms into : Your mother
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jesuschristpose

Post By Li-Bai. 29/01/10, 10:09 am

Sonic Reducer wrote:
some dubs ARE better.

-cough-[Garzey's Wing]-cough-
Li-Bai
Li-Bai
Sushi ;O

Back to top Go down

Post By DarkGaia. 29/01/10, 10:14 am

@ both the users who just replied ^^

Wow that was quick O_o, anyway, im glad you two have such a fair opinion on it, if only there were more people like that on youtube...
DarkGaia
DarkGaia
Superman

Back to top Go down

Post By Li-Bai. 29/01/10, 10:18 am

There's a phrase that gets used a lot on the Voice Acting Alliance forums that goes 'LOL YouTube'. It's a pretty clear message - you should never really take some a lot of 'Tubers seriously in these aspects. (I mean come on, it's YouTube!)

Wink
Li-Bai
Li-Bai
Sushi ;O

Back to top Go down

Post By DarkGaia. 29/01/10, 10:27 am

I know, its just fun to annoy weeaboos aswell :3, lolz
DarkGaia
DarkGaia
Superman

Back to top Go down

Post By H-idenshi. 29/01/10, 12:41 pm

Sonic Reducer wrote:
Its crazy this whole thing. Some one please explain it to me beyond my aggressive nut ball conspiracy theories.
Japanese Cultural Patriotism.

Allow me to say it. Of course you are all right and there are good foreign language dubs, just as there are good foreign language subs.
(It's logic. If all dubs were bad then there would be no relative 'control' case to compare with and thus make the statement true)
The root of this sub/dub divide lies elsewhere. To put what you outlined into simpler terminology... it is a matter of 'identity building'.
It's quite obvious that dub-culture and sub-culture have many distinct differences. However, because the subject matter in question is pretty much the same, you are bound for conflict (protestant / catholic christianity ring any bells?)

To give a tangible example: How I see things from my point of view.
I am very right-wing when it comes to matters of Japanese national security and sovereignty (relevant to this particular case: 'cultural-purity').
Thus, I personally don't care whether the dub/sub is good or not because I cannot (without breaking my own ideological beliefs) recognize/appreciate the existence of something foreign that is not the original trying to pose as otherwise (literary canon defines the boundaries of social interaction within said medium).
This is important because of the fall of grand narrative and the transformation of contemporary Japanese literary mediums as a communication / identity building platform via neta>derivative works (Subdivision/fragmentation of socialization and in-groups is part of human tribal instinct. It is just the communication methods we use have changed incredibly with the dawn of the 'information-age').
Spoiler:
Am I even making sense?

Long story short: I consume the original in order to identify with and socialize with the Japanese otaku. (Apply the same logic to why people watch dubs or subs and your answer is as simple as that.)
H-idenshi
H-idenshi
Zenbu

Number of posts : 57
Transforms into : memetic DNA
Registration date : 2009-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post By DarkGaia. 29/01/10, 02:06 pm

@ H-idenshi

Wow, your brain is an encyclopedia isnt it? xDD
DarkGaia
DarkGaia
Superman

Back to top Go down

Post By -modhammered-. 29/01/10, 02:15 pm

Well alot of good stuff isn't dubbed yet. So i have to make do with subbed or RAWS.

-modhammered-
Soldier A

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-01-20

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Anime Subbed or dubbed OOH CONTROVERSY!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosplay New Zealand :: Entertainment :: Anime & Manga-