Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cosplay contest

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Cosplay contest
Post By Kitty of Doom. 20/01/10, 09:19 pm

I have never actually watched a cosplay contest in action and while I realise the best way to learn is to watch one, I'm planning to enter this year. It's a bit rash but I'm not waiting a whole year (as there is almost no possibility of me getting to the Wellie or Auckgeddon) to enter a cosplay contest because, no matter how painful it may end up being, I am determined to do it this year instead of waiting, twiddling my thumbs while wishing I had gone. Yes I could just make one anyway and not enter but that's not how I role as obnoxious as it sounds. So here is what this thread is for:

How does a cosplay contest work?
To be more specific how would the Christchurch armageddon cosplay contest work? Questions, waiting etc. I'm not asking for the criteria to win, just what your schedule was (then again though... naughty )
I've also heard mentions of skits - are they mandatory and what do they usually involve?
If they aren't mandatory (as I'm sure some contests mustn't use them) what happens? Do you stand awkwardly for a few minutes, making light conversation as you get judged?
Does age matter? I don't mean for what you're cosplaying but is there an age limit? Yes I will have permission from my parents but is there one?

I've taken a look at the information on the armageddon website and also looked at the forum - while it explained a lot, I still want to know more. I want to hear people's experiences, funny, bad, sad or shocking so that way I can really understand it. At the same time, you guys can laugh (good-naturedly, mind) and cringe at stories you witnessed and others you hadn't heard of before!

Pikachu! Pikachu
Kitty of Doom
Kitty of Doom
Winner of the Beginner's Luck Award

Number of posts : 927
Transforms into : giant-omnomnoming-cookie-mon
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Cosplay contest Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: Cosplay contest
Post By Suixelo. 21/01/10, 03:01 am

I entered my first competition last year. I was really nervous at the judging because I didn't know what to expect, but I really had no need to be nervous! It's a friendly, fun atmosphere, even though you are in competition with everyone else haha! It was great watching everyone else too, and I learnt a lot on how to improve myself.

Basically, you sit and watch the other contestants until you are called up. When you are called up, you can introduce your character etc. The judges may ask you questions and may want a closer look at something on your costume. Basically, what I did was watch everyone in front of me, and it gave me a clue as what to expect. Skits aren't mandatory, but it's always fun! This year, you have to pre-record skits, and lip-sync to them when you are performing it.

When judging is over, you are reminded what time to meet at the main stage for the public part of the competition. This is the fun part, you just go on stage when you are called and do your skit. If you have no skit, you pose for photos and then walk off again. After everyone has done this, the awards will be announced.

I've been watching the contest since about 2002, and it was still different to how I imagined it, actually being in it. I was so nervous in the judging round because it was all new to me, but I love performing on stage, so the stage part was easy. My music was too loud though, and the microphone too low, but that won't be a problem from now on with the pre-recording.
So yes, I had a lot of fun... Until I fell over on my way off the stage XDD So yes, it can be embarrasing, but I got a lot of people asking if I was okay, which was nice of them. Everyone sticks together in cosplay, so we're luckier I think than in the USA.

Good luck!
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3569
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Cosplay contest Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Kitty of Doom. 21/01/10, 08:08 am

Thanks! Nice story, I'm sure it wasn't as embarrassing as you thought it would be
Kitty of Doom
Kitty of Doom

Cosplay contest Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Pyro. 21/01/10, 08:28 am

I've been entering the contest since I was 12, so yeah, there's no age limit. =D

Uh, yeah, basically, you go there at the scheduled judging time (10:30 this year, I think?), twiddle your thumbs and watch/listen to other people's skits and what they did to make their cosplays. Eventually, it's your turn, and either you do a skit (which, as Suixelo said, aren't compulsory), or the judges ask you questions about your costume. Questions like, 'which part was hardest to make', 'why did you decide on this outfit'-- just random things to find out more about how you went about creating it and why you took the routes you did.

Once your turn is over, you have photos taken to document your costume (so the judges can say 'hey let's look at her's again' after you've gone from the room), continue observing the rest of the entrants, and then eventually, leave.

A few hours later, it's stage time, and yeah, basically you perform skits or pose for photos, and then the winners are announced and that's it-- finished.

It's all pretty relaxed, and the only big thing you have to do is make sure you're really prepared before you enter the judging room. Once you're in, you can't get out until after everyone's done their bit, and so it's not a good idea to be sitting in the room and suddenly think 'oh crap, I lost part of my armor while I was walking around!'. If you have a bulky cosplay, you're allowed to move out to take it off and relax for a while, but otherwise, you're trapped in there.

In any case, it's fun, and definitely worth entering. Even if you don't win anything, you hear cool stories about the other entrants and get a chance to find out strange facts and neat tips. It's funny the trials and tribulations people go through sometimes!

You might also end up cursed. Like this one time? Someone said 'every cosplay demands blood before it gets finished'. The cosplay I had been wearing at the time had been the first one I hadn't hurt myself making... and my finger spontaneously started bleeding.

IN SUMMARY: you should enter, it's awesome-sauce fun!! <3
Pyro
Pyro
Winner of the Infinitely Quotable Award

Number of posts : 3934
Transforms into : Tik-Tok Tibenoch
Registration date : 2007-12-03

Cosplay contest Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 21/01/10, 09:12 am

Watching everyone else get judges is AWESOME! You learn a lot, get to lookk at everyone's costume properly (without accosting them in the halls), and just hang out. It is a really long time though sometimes, so having a drink or something is a good idea.

It's really low-key - we're all being judged, but it's not a horrible nasty "competitive" atmosphere. All in good fun :)

As for the skits and things, all the rules are up now on the 'Geddon website - everything's coming straight from the horse's mouth, as it were, and it's very clear.
Static
Static
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3584
Transforms into : HULKSMASH
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Cosplay contest Vide
Back to top Go down
http://www.little-noise.com

Post By firecat70. 21/01/10, 06:54 pm

I entered twice, and like everyone has said the actual judging is really fun. The second year I entered just so I could look at the costumes and skit up close sweatdrop I always found the skits went better, since there were less technical difficulties/not as many people.
I stopped entering because I get bad stage fright and I always felt ick before and after going on stage gonk
firecat70
firecat70
lucky*

Number of posts : 1117
Transforms into : a dinosaur
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Cosplay contest Vide
Back to top Go down
http://www.scoodasaurus.com

Post By Kitty of Doom. 21/01/10, 07:08 pm

Really? Less difficulties? I don't quite understand, I would have assumed there would be more for the skits if they need to be prerecorded
Kitty of Doom
Kitty of Doom

Cosplay contest Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By firecat70. 21/01/10, 07:30 pm

Most of the groups came prepared with small speakers to play their music and stuff, so in a small room it worked well. But the problems began to happen when they went on the main stage, things weren't compatible, were on mp3 players not cds, or the sound system didn't work.
Things being prerecorded means they will all be on disks presumably, the same file type, and the sound crew can practise playing them before hand. Also, it means they don't have to hold/share microphones which makes the skits look better.
firecat70
firecat70
lucky*

Number of posts : 1117
Transforms into : a dinosaur
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Cosplay contest Vide
Back to top Go down
http://www.scoodasaurus.com

Post By Tails. 21/01/10, 07:45 pm

I have to admit, entering cosplay competitions has given me a lot more confidence, even outside of cosplay. Cheering on all your friends up on staged & being cheered for is so much fun! I've found that even despite who wins, everyone seems to be in a good mood afterwards, probably from the buzz of it all. Like Suixelo mentioned, we're a pretty tight community compared to other ones like in the USA, which can take a lot of the stress/bitterness away from the competition. So I say give it your all, & being nervous is just part of the fun :)
Tails
Tails
L

Number of posts : 3004
Transforms into : a Vulpix
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Cosplay contest Vide
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/TailsCosplay

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content