Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Avatar (by james Cameron... not the Airbender)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Re: Avatar (by james Cameron... not the Airbender)
Post By Zephyr. 25/01/10, 01:23 pm

Avatar is good but damn it's kinda overrated, it's good but not THAT good.
Zephyr
Zephyr
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 738
Transforms into : A Software Engineering major.
Registration date : 2009-12-17

Avatar (by james Cameron... not the Airbender) - Page 4 Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Shirubia. 25/01/10, 04:40 pm

Well yeah... But it. Is. So. PWEDDY!

And it's not like the story is actively bad or anything, it's just not anything special. So it's made up for by the fact that you can just stare at the screen the entire time and not take in a word because Pandora is just so epically gorgeous.
Shirubia
Shirubia
Pinky

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 25/01/10, 10:54 pm

The plot itself is nothing. It's a rehash of four or five old films. And White man guilt. And a healthy dose of rascism.
NONE OF THIS MATTERS.
I honestly had to remind myself several times that what I was watching was full CG. I would have sworn some of it was nature documentary.

Back to top Go down

Post By TinTango. 26/01/10, 12:11 am

I remember when Terminator 2 first came out and the T-1000 was shattered into little bits, then re-formed itself. That was a landmark movie for special effects!
This one is the same for both CGI and 3D IMHO.
TinTango
TinTango
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1278
Transforms into : whelmed. Not over or under. Just whelmed.
Registration date : 2008-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 26/01/10, 12:32 am

Yeah but T2 is widely considered one of the best action movies of all time, whereas in 20 years time Avatar will be famous for the Avatards who insist it was the begining of a new era in film. Its not.

Nothing in Avatar was new or ground-breaking. The 3d tech has been around for at least 10 years, just not outside expensive themeparks until relatively recently. Even then, it was used gimmicy. Avatar is probably one of the first films to use it seriously.
The motion-capture technology has been used in dozens of other films, "Polar Express", "LoTR" on down pretty much.
Full CG is commonplace. Pixar has made full-CG commonplace.
The mecha was nothing new: Ripley was Mecha-ing it up since '86, and the idea was copiously re-used since.
Jim Henson has been desinging entirely new, from stratch, entirely artificial worlds that look like they're actually alive since before I was born.

The only thing Avatar did was stuff it all into one GLORIOUS and BEAUTIFUL movie of epic Awesomeness. With a plot Disney would have probably called un-subtle and patronising.

All of which is not saying I didn't ENJOY it. I did. A lot! But then again I enjoyed MegaShark vs Giant Octopus as well. It's just I don't think it deserves the place in history it's going to get.

Back to top Go down

Post By Suixelo. 26/01/10, 02:07 am

Quote :
Nothing in Avatar was new or ground-breaking. The 3d tech has been around for at least 10 years, just not outside expensive themeparks until relatively recently. Even then, it was used gimmicy. Avatar is probably one of the first films to use it seriously.
The motion-capture technology has been used in dozens of other films, "Polar Express", "LoTR" on down pretty much.
Full CG is commonplace. Pixar has made full-CG commonplace.
The mecha was nothing new: Ripley was Mecha-ing it up since '86, and the idea was copiously re-used since.
Jim Henson has been desinging entirely new, from stratch, entirely artificial worlds that look like they're actually alive since before I was born.

lol tell this to the rest of the world. No, seriously everywhere you look this film has been called ground-breaking, setting a new standard for CGI & 3D technology. Haha.

It will be remembered, however, because of the immense following it has. Add that to a couple of best picture and best director awards and a possible sequal and you have yourself a memory. Although, in saying that the LoTR trillogy had great success and award winnings and yet was left off most top films of the decade lists.
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3569
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 26/01/10, 02:14 am

Suixelo wrote:

lol tell this to the rest of the world. No, seriously everywhere you look this film has been called ground-breaking, setting a new standard for CGI & 3D technology. Haha.

Well thats because the mass media has the memory of a goldfish.

And I have given up on trying to explain why movies are bad. It just results in people getting really really mad at me. And then they laugh at me because I enjoy the bad films. Because apparently I'm not allowed to think something is bad AND enjoy it.

Back to top Go down

Post By Suixelo. 26/01/10, 02:30 am

Haha I get what you mean. I find it hard to explain how I can love a film and yet explain what is so damn wrong with it at the same time.
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Icarus. 27/01/10, 09:44 am

I ttly was gonna cry because the graphics were soo AMAZINGLY GORGEOUS *A*
Icarus
Icarus
ACB King '10

Number of posts : 3485
Transforms into : a dancing octopus
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Back to top Go down
http://icarus-cos.tumblr.com/

Post By Thornback. 27/01/10, 09:52 am

^THIS. There were moments, when I saw it with my parents, when my mum had to lean over and say "Breathe, LC, Breathe..."

Thornback
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1317
Transforms into : Sir Robins Minstrels(there was much rejoicing.)
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post By Icarus. 27/01/10, 10:03 am

and those little lizard(?) looking things that had helicopter like wings(?) were made of WIN (the whole movie was, but they look so neat!)
Icarus
Icarus
ACB King '10

Back to top Go down

Post By Thornback. 27/01/10, 10:07 am

YES. THE HELICOPTER LIZARDS. THEY WERE WIN.

Them and the little sacred tree things. So pretty...

Thornback
LEVEL UP!

Back to top Go down

Post By Icarus. 27/01/10, 10:13 am

they reminded me of jellyfish

someone mentioned it on the thread, but yes! It was difficult to remember that the people were CG, so so very difficult! (kept thinking it was hardcore make up...)
Icarus
Icarus
ACB King '10

Back to top Go down

Post By Thornback. 27/01/10, 10:20 am

Yeah...especially with sigourney Weavers avatar. Motion Capture was absolutely amazing capturing the faces....

Sigourney Weaver shouldn't be as attractive as she is. Shes sixty, and she's still gorgeous!

Thornback
LEVEL UP!

Back to top Go down

Post By Lumissne. 27/01/10, 10:34 am

Pfft, I loved the plot. Plus I was going for the graphics and effects above all and was very VERY impressed. Want to see it again but am too broke *is saving for the DVD!*
Lumissne
Lumissne
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1047
Transforms into : Piphopopotamus.
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 27/01/10, 10:40 am

Haven't seen the movie yet, but think if saw it would dislike it it's everything that usually end up disliking for any other movie out there. Personally disliked the movie Happy Feet despite it's success, but loathed it. Why ? because it's just a clone rip-off of the animated feature the Pebble and the Penguin which came out a few years before it and dislike when the original idea of Penguins singing and dancing for love becomes ignored and yet a pretty thing with computer graphics get the attention. Avatar sounds kinda like the Happy Feet example, have heard from other people and Pervy Kappa above that the storyline is no different from Fern gully and familiar to 95 Disney version of Pocahontas, the storyline has been done before (twice) and it's just pretty graphics, and dislike something with a short and reused storyline and just *pretty features * think if ever saw Avatar, would walk out half way through..

Think that this a hugly different opinion on everything, but the graphics on Avatar are going to age, like Final Fantasy's spirits within the graphics were amazing and the movie got a high praise ( it failed) but it got high praise for it's graphics, and now it's just falls short because the graphics have aged, terribly they now look like PS2 people.

Plus can't STAND really, hyped up poplaur movies and things.. xD

Back to top Go down

Post By Rolly. 27/01/10, 10:48 am

Even though the story's overdone, the way it's presented and directed makes the difference. It doesn't give you the 'deja vu' feeling.
I went in fully knowing the plot's cliché, but because I went in with no expectations, the movie worked its magic on me and to me, that's money well spent. ;)
Rolly
Rolly
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2918
Transforms into : a stylish shoe for the blind earthbender
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post By Icarus. 27/01/10, 11:32 am

^ THIS x9001
Icarus
Icarus
ACB King '10

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 27/01/10, 11:44 am

The graphics MIGHT age. But honestly, I don't think they will. They're photo-real. They're breath-takingly real. They're OMG, no way that is CG real. (99.5% of the time). HONESTLY Ninja, GO AND SEE THIS FILM.
The plot, yes, boring. Cliche. Offensively bad even. But if you don't come out of this film squee-ing like you've just met Sephiroth himself, I'll honestly pay for your ticket.

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 27/01/10, 12:30 pm

u_ne_korn wrote:
HONESTLY Ninja, GO AND SEE THIS FILM.
The plot, yes, boring. Cliche. Offensively bad even. But if you don't come out of this film squee-ing like you've just met Sephiroth Deidara from Naruto himself, I'll honestly pay for your ticket.

IT'S A DEAL D8 !

Because is willing to give the movie a try, you can't judge a movie and not even see the thing ! :)

It just sounds like there is some things about Avatar, that are just making the movie sound pet-peevish.

Haha sorry U-ne- korn but dislike Sephiroth and WOULD walk out if saw Sephiroth .. >>''; had to change it ! xDD

Back to top Go down

Post By Zeorymer. 01/02/10, 02:14 pm

I saw it. Meh. A pretty meh, but still meh.

Its not in any way...memorable. And I wont be wanting to see it again.
Zeorymer
Zeorymer
Winner of the Team Spirit Award

Number of posts : 201
Transforms into : Plot Device
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 01/02/10, 02:16 pm

Pink- Ninja wrote:
u_ne_korn wrote:
HONESTLY Ninja, GO AND SEE THIS FILM.
The plot, yes, boring. Cliche. Offensively bad even. But if you don't come out of this film squee-ing like you've just met Sephiroth Deidara from Naruto himself, I'll honestly pay for your ticket.

IT'S A DEAL D8 !

Because is willing to give the movie a try, you can't judge a movie and not even see the thing ! :)

It just sounds like there is some things about Avatar, that are just making the movie sound pet-peevish.

Haha sorry U-ne- korn but dislike Sephiroth and WOULD walk out if saw Sephiroth .. >>''; had to change it ! xDD

Alrighty then, it's a deal!! I expect a full report! Very Happy
I'm not anticipating having to pony up though, I'm very confident you'll like it. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post By Thornback. 01/02/10, 02:23 pm

Zeorymer wrote:
I saw it. Meh. A pretty meh, but still meh.

Its not in any way...memorable. And I wont be wanting to see it again.

I find this a little hard to believe. Sure, the storys been done a thousand times, and the characters aren't particalarly stunning...but can you honestly claim that the visuals weren't memorable?

(If you can, all power to you. Personally, they(and the helicopter lizards. yes.)are the only things I could find no fault with.)

If nothing else, the Helicopter Lizard shall always have a fond place in my heart.

Thornback
LEVEL UP!

Back to top Go down

Post By Sonic Reducer. 24/02/10, 06:46 am

Having seen this a week ago now I can say how I fealt now I'm over the intial disapointment (I'm talk miscarriage disappointment here it was that bad)

I'm hoping James Cameron retires, dies, or anything to prevent the sequels being made. I know it's all too common for me to be anti everythng (hey, I liked Sherlock Holmes!) but this was really quite bad.

I found myself predicting the movie from beginning to end, and only got one prediction wrong. (I thought the talk scrawny whiney guy would also die). I found myself unable to enjoy the visuals because they seems like watching lego pieces and i kept being confused if I was watching live action or a childs cartoon.

I kept wondering also why is this good, why is it good we no longer need to film a movie and can just rely on ugly cgi.

Now I'm just sounding like an ass but this is the worst thing to happen to movies.... maybe ever?
Sonic Reducer
Sonic Reducer
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 675
Transforms into : Your mother
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jesuschristpose

Post By Suixelo. 24/02/10, 07:06 am

tbh you seem like you have something personal against CGI and that hampered your view on the movie. The CGI was perfect and looked 100% real to everyone else. If you're seeing it like lego pieces I suggest you watch it again with your 3D glasses on. (Jokes!)

There is a prequel, but it will be a novel.

I'd say 90% of films are CGI free. CGI has been implemented because movies are not real. Some aspects are just impossible to film without CGI. Yeah, they used puppets etc before CGI, but the public doesn't like that now, it looks aged and old. People want to see a movie that is fresh and new. Avatar may have had a re-used plot, but it was shown in a new and fresh way, which is why it's winning awards worldwide.
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Avatar (by james Cameron... not the Airbender)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosplay New Zealand :: Entertainment :: Media-