Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What did you think of the Sasuke and Itachi skit at Chch?

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Post By Nazgul. 21/05/08, 03:14 pm

lol just wondering, what did people think about the Sasuke and Itachi skit? the one with the deathnote, done in the CHCHgeddon this year? was it lame? if so, can please give some constructive criticism?
Nazgul
Nazgul
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 519
Transforms into : Yaoi God
Registration date : 2008-05-01

What did you think of the Sasuke and Itachi skit at Chch? Vide
Back to top Go down
http://nazgullow.weebly.com

Re: What did you think of the Sasuke and Itachi skit at Chch?
Post By Pyro. 21/05/08, 04:07 pm

The scripting of the skit was quite humorous, but the acting itself wasn't so good.

You needed more emotion in your voices, and for the acting, particularly when Itachi gets back up, to be snappier.

Also, you were lacking projection, and you weren't very clear in your speech.

That any help? ^^;;
Pyro
Pyro
Winner of the Infinitely Quotable Award

Number of posts : 3934
Transforms into : Tik-Tok Tibenoch
Registration date : 2007-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post By Riven_. 22/05/08, 02:48 am

it was fuuunnnyyyy.... cheers
and the idea for it was really good too...
<i>FOR THE PRIDE OF THE QUINCIES.... Uh, I mean.... </i>: made me laugh so much... <strike>mainly 'cause I think Sasuke and Ryuu are such girls... </strike>

.... I think the only thing was missing was the experience at doing this kind of thing on stage in front of a crowd (unless you and soon yie lead a secret life of stand up comedy or something....)
you didn't give the audience enough time to react to what you said/the funny bits, and so they missed some of the dialogue as they were laughing.
mmm... acting in front of a live audience is a different beast to other kinds of acting...
Riven_
Riven_
Advice Guru

Number of posts : 1961
Transforms into : The Procrastinator!
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down
http://crescent-fall.livejournal.com

Post By Nazgul. 22/05/08, 10:24 am

Pyro- ah ok thank u very much! ^-^ Yes I realise that when i'm nervous i tend to speak damn quickly =.= and i'll have to work on my 'acting' skills (if i even have any ) =D thanks for the comment!

Riven- OI i'm soon yie @@ not harmony lol. and ok, i'll keep that in mind the next time we have a skit =3
Nazgul
Nazgul
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By Riven_. 22/05/08, 10:29 am

nazgul549 wrote:
Riven- OI i'm soon yie @@ not harmony lol. and ok, i'll keep that in mind the next time we have a skit =3

Shocked

*is shot*

eheheheheh.... sorries.... ^_^;
Riven_
Riven_
Advice Guru

Number of posts : 1961
Transforms into : The Procrastinator!

Back to top Go down
http://crescent-fall.livejournal.com

Post By firecat70. 24/05/08, 08:44 am

I thought it was really funny XD
Maybe try to record it in the future? Only CHCHgeddon doesn't really seem to have that sorted yet.
firecat70
firecat70
lucky*

Number of posts : 1117
Transforms into : a dinosaur
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down
http://www.scoodasaurus.com

Post By Mandie_Chan. 24/05/08, 01:49 pm

it was gd aye
4 a first time it was reali gd

projection would b a biggy coz even if u have a brilliant script when u dont have that mic u didnt have as much confidence... thats when u lost the crowd a bit

mayb next time i could have a private screenin 2 help give u tips first Very Happy
*wink*wink*nudge*nudge*
hehe
Mandie_Chan
Mandie_Chan
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 6753
Transforms into : Epic Baker of DOOOOM
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post By Nazgul. 25/05/08, 02:36 pm

Mandie_Chan wrote:

mayb next time i could have a private screenin 2 help give u tips first Very Happy
*wink*wink*nudge*nudge*
hehe

lol alice had a private screening! ^^ she told us where to stand and stuff
Nazgul
Nazgul
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By Madam Madhatter. 31/05/08, 04:42 am

Yay to private screenings!!!

I REALLY liked the script!!!
It may have been hard for the judges as there were so many refernces to other animes you needed to know them before you got the jokes.
But that was also what made your script so good.
Razz Basicly its hard to win.

Acting was better then when we were filming but yeah you have to bare in mind that acting on a stage like that is harder than for film.
You have do do things heeps louder and almost over act any reaction.

Think back through your favs of the other skits and try to think of what made them successful.
One thing was that lack of dialog made it kinda easyer for some skits
Madam Madhatter
Madam Madhatter
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1044
Location : Raxicoricofallapatorius ....eer... I mean Christchurch
Transforms into : Reno! <3
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 31/05/08, 11:17 am

Yeah the Judges really didn't know anime that well and they might of been forced to do a Job that they didn't know much about ( Expect for maybe Star- Wars ) And Christchurch Geddon is only two years old and it's still finding it's learning curves...

You were great, you were really funny and had fun supporting you guys..
It was really good for a first try...

Yeah-umm...confidence is the key !!

Back to top Go down

Post By Mandie_Chan. 31/05/08, 12:33 pm

T.T
alice got a screaning and i didn't????

TTTTT.TTTTT
Mandie_Chan
Mandie_Chan
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 6753
Transforms into : Epic Baker of DOOOOM
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 01/06/08, 06:24 am

Maybe because you werent there at Geddon on the Sunday ??

Back to top Go down

Post By neimhaille. 01/06/08, 06:31 pm

As far as general tips go (I'm too tired to try and focus specifically): make your skit able to be understood by the majority of the audience. Keep an in-joke or two for the major fans but do remember who you are performing for- a large group of people with diverse interests.
And with that make sure you are enjoying being on stage. Confidence goes a very long way, and that will come as you gain familiarity with the event set up and as you start to see the contest as less important ;) Seriously, pretend there are no prizes and that it is just a parade. It will take pressure off yourself.
Do a bit of research on writing for the stage, or even how to write short stories. It will help find the right flow for a short presentation piece. Leave us wanting more not less. If only some TV series would understand that....

Deidara-Senpai wrote:
Yeah the Judges really didn't know anime that well and they might of been forced to do a Job that they didn't know much about ( Expect for maybe Star- Wars ) And Christchurch Geddon is only two years old and it's still finding it's learning curves...

This is quite misleading and I'm concerned could cause a lack of confidence in the judging. Angela is very versed in anime and aside from her great wrangling and organisation and print ninja skills she is the one to say when someone is acting in character or not. We had her understanding of several series come in to play a number of times when I was torn between a few entries for best skit. I was able to balance up quality of scriptwriting and performance with her imput on who was in character and who wasn't as well as her opinion on what she enjoyed.

If this was a comment on the fact that there have been a number of non-anime costume that have won, please take a really good look at the quality displayed by these contestants- be fair to those contestants too. I have nearly two decades of costuming research and practice to know what to look for in this regard. Also I am a trained actor, I have directed and performed in a very wide genre of styles from Shakespeare to 19thC naturalistic plays to modern musical theatre, I have been in comedic and dramatic roles. Nearly two decades worth of experience goes into my judging of the performances. It is not based on whim.

In fact I have gone out of my way to make sure anime and manga have as much of a chance in the new prize categories as western based entries. But I will not stop rewarding excellence even if it is counter to the popular choice.

Again, I have competed in singing contests and a variety of costume contests over a number of years. I knew I could never do well in the singing contests as I am a performer and not a musician, which is what they were after. The judges knew what they were doing, I just didn't fit to what they wanted. Then I have entered costume contests where again I was not what they wanted, but this time because they didn't know a tournure from a taille whereas I can date certain eras almost to the month and time of day. The cosplay contest was never a given for me despite being the most technically proficient contestant at the time. My skills are subtle and some not really able to be understood except by uber costume geeks.
It didn't (and still doesn't) matter as I knew what I was doing was what I wanted to do. And it made me work to a time frame and hone my skills.

Be assured, that while we do know what we are doing, we are looking from a technical point of view not a fan view- there is quite a difference. You will not get marked higher for something I am a fan of. In fact it is probably going to be harder as I am quite pedantic in my fandoms.
neimhaille
neimhaille
Armageddon Cosplay Contest Judge

Number of posts : 661
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post By angellsnz. 02/06/08, 06:35 am

Hi,

While I am not downloading Fansubs for the absolute up to date episodes of certain anime, I do know who Sasuke and Itachi are; I watch and read Naruto, Bleach and Deathnote. I did get the in-jokes and references to other anime and thought the skit was funny.

It's fair to say that I am not as knowledgeable as most of you and do on occasion mispronounce names. Razz. But I have an understanding and respect for anime and manga. But as Neimhaille mentioned there are many factors on how we judge the skit/performance part of the contest.

Just so you know, I have participated in the Cosplay contest, and won the Supreme Award for Lulu from FFX. So I also know the process from a contestant’s point of view as well. (yes I performed a skit as well) :)

Yeah I do know Star Wars, but I am also a huge fan of other movies, TV programmes, animation, graphic novels/comics, manga, books, and when I have time I like to game as well. Most of us who are involved in Cosplay and Armageddon in some way are fans.

As for the cosplay contest, it has never just been aimed at just anime fans, it has always been based on cosplaying as any character you like. So the judge has always needed a broad knowledge base.

Again I would like to reiterate, we do know what we are doing, but again we are not looking through a fans eye, but a judges and I too agree with Neimhaille, that if I looked through a fans eyes, I would be very picky on people’s portrayals of certain characters.
angellsnz
angellsnz
Armageddon Cosplay Contest Assistant

Number of posts : 199
Transforms into : I have one
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post By Nazgul. 02/06/08, 07:36 am

hm... ok lol from what i gather above neimhaille and angellsnz were the two judges from chch geddon? ^^
great because I've always wanted to ask you guys something! hm... how do you guys judge the 'in character' category? because for example, between a character who hunches and walks around barefoot, and a character who just sits there smiling and acting prim and proper, wouldn't the hunching cosplayer stand out more as 'in character' compared to the one just sitting at the side?
Nazgul
Nazgul
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By jpwise. 02/06/08, 07:44 am

nazgul - correct - neimhaille is Michaela (spelling?), and angellsnz is Angela. The usually judge for Auck, Wgtn & ChCh.
Will let them comment on the judging side. Razz
jpwise
jpwise
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down
http://gallery.of.geek.nz

Post By angellsnz. 02/06/08, 08:47 am

nazgul549 wrote:
how do you guys judge the 'in character' category? because for example, between a character who hunches and walks around barefoot, and a character who just sits there smiling and acting prim and proper, wouldn't the hunching cosplayer stand out more as 'in character' compared to the one just sitting at the side?

I can only speak for myself. What I am looking for are various things.

1. Have you explained in your registration form who the character is, what they like etc.
2. What do I know of the character - what are they like in the movie/anime/game/manga/comic - how do they relate to others in that movie/anime etc
3. Are you acting like the character you are cosplaying?

To use your example if you have explained in the rego form that the character you are cosplaying is quiet, shy, polite and proper - and that's how you act - then that will stand out to me and that goes for the character that hunches and walks barefoot. If it matches what you have told us then that's fine.

Some anime characters are easier to portray than others. If you get certain body posturing and movements that mimic what the character does in the anime or manga, then it is easier to believe that you are "in character".

An example of this was a Hall cosplayer at Christchurch who was Kakashi Hatake. When she was on stage during the Kamehameha contest, she stood in a particular way, pulled out a manga novel to read, did his hand signs for his jutsu and had Kakashi's general laid back manner. To me she was "in-character".

Another way of looking at being "in-character" is you get to tell us who the character is and what they are like. When I cosplayed as Lulu I created her character to suit my acting abilities (which are none. Razz) I explained in my rego form that I was a "bad overly dramatic - drama queen" type actress who was playing the role of Lulu in a live action movie of FFX - she was flamboyant, loud, complained about everything, and had no idea what FFX was about, but she wanted a bigger part in the movie, or at least a better weapon than a moogle. - Then I created my skit around the character that I explained. It made it much easier for me to act "in-character" as I did not have to portray Lulu like she was in the game, nor did I have to live up to fans ideas of what Lulu should be like. Very Happy

I hope this has answered your question. I realise it's very long-winded. I am sure that Neimhaille will tell you something different. But that is what I am looking for. :)
angellsnz
angellsnz
Armageddon Cosplay Contest Assistant

Number of posts : 199
Transforms into : I have one
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post By neimhaille. 03/06/08, 06:25 am

Sitting prim and proper. For a modern girl/guy? That automatically makes it obvious they are in character ;)

If you have explained in your form what you know of the personality of the character or how you have reinterpreted the character (such as what they do when not on screen/in game/ etc.) then that is the guide.

Sometimes people will choose a character that is very much like themselves which makes it a little harder because of the lack of distinction between when they do the skit and when we ask questions (which gets very hard after the first ten contestants!) but it isn't an automatic factor against them. Not at all. it will be discussed after and other factors such as how well the skit worked, use of space, etc.
Again if we know you know how the character is supposed to behave then choosing a non-flamboyant character will not affect how the performance is perceived.
neimhaille
neimhaille
Armageddon Cosplay Contest Judge

Number of posts : 661
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post By Nazgul. 03/06/08, 09:49 am

lol ok, thank u very much for the answers angellsnz and neimhaille, i'll keep them in mind ^^
Nazgul
Nazgul
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By Lost in Shangri-La. 03/06/08, 04:33 pm

wow, nice thread u started, XD now we can IMPROVE!!! let's go practise now, my dear brother... or should i say... ishida-kuuuuuuuuuuun~~~~~ XD hehehh.
Lost in Shangri-La
Lost in Shangri-La
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 777
Transforms into : destiny
Registration date : 2008-04-29

Back to top Go down
http://lost-in-shangrila.deviantart.com/

Post By Willuknight. 17/06/08, 04:40 pm

Pyro wrote:
The scripting of the skit was quite humorous, but the acting itself wasn't so good.

You needed more emotion in your voices, and for the acting, particularly when Itachi gets back up, to be snappier.

Also, you were lacking projection, and you weren't very clear in your speech.

That any help? ^^;;

it was much better in the judging room, then it was on the main stage, i have videos of both and it's clear you guys did it best upstairs. Stage fright? Very Happy

i loved the skit btw, even though i have never watched naruto it was still relevent and i loved how you mixed in parts from other shows. The punch line was really funny as well Very Happy
Willuknight
Willuknight
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1288
Transforms into : Megatron
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Back to top Go down
http://willu.net

Post By Nazgul. 19/06/08, 02:14 pm

oh that good ^^ thanks will!

and yea, i get stage fright sooo bad D= the last time I appeared 'mainly' on stage was.... hm... i dunno maybe 3 years ago =.= I really need to work on that ae lol
Nazgul
Nazgul
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By LintuwolfWiing. 17/10/08, 10:35 am

I thought is was bad! Because you killed me V.V

...Na, I thought it was funny XD
That's it, I have nothing else to say

Wiing
LintuwolfWiing
LintuwolfWiing
paoupu fruit

Number of posts : 458
Transforms into : not Edward Cullen >.<

Back to top Go down
http://rasmuswings.deviantart.com/

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosplay New Zealand :: Cosplay :: Props & Performance-