Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Making hats! UPDATED

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Re: Making hats! UPDATED
Post By Cactiberry. 26/10/09, 11:13 am

Yep! 8D Uh, can you send me your address again? I deleted my pm's XD
I just need to, uh, find it.
(Also, comp camera is currently screwing up so no pikchars D:)
Cactiberry
Cactiberry
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2283
Transforms into : sharpedo
Registration date : 2009-06-20

Making hats! UPDATED - Page 8 Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By SoulessPuppet. 27/10/09, 01:59 pm

Oh~ cacti Can you teach me how to sew? :3

Mum might buy a sewing machine soon and I'm thinking of either making an Ouran blazer or a fleece hat~
SoulessPuppet
SoulessPuppet
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 642
Transforms into : *Kupo.*
Registration date : 2009-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post By Highlander. 27/10/09, 02:33 pm

SoulessPuppet wrote:
Oh~ cacti Can you teach me how to sew? :3

Mum might buy a sewing machine soon and I'm thinking of either making an Ouran blazer or a fleece hat~

Both. Ask cacti, but it may be easier one to start with the hat. Actually do the whole Ouran outfit if you have money. Because trust me you will not be an expert after one garment. Or at least me and everyone I know did not. And then you also know how to do trousers, shirts and blazers. All useful skills if you ever want to do another cosplay.
Highlander
Highlander
dark CHii

Number of posts : 4033
Transforms into : This stylish saffron shirt.
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Back to top Go down
http://skydrive.live.com/#cid=23D41AFD1F51E1F4

Post By Cactiberry. 27/10/09, 11:13 pm

@Soulless: Sure! 8D Handsew or Machine-sew?
I still am a newb at machine-sewing but I can help with handsewing 8D For hats and small things handsewing is better, it's easier at least.
Cactiberry
Cactiberry
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2283
Transforms into : sharpedo
Registration date : 2009-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post By Highlander. 28/10/09, 01:34 pm

Sort of. For really small stuff maybe. But for a hat probably easier on a machine. Depends on the machine/material and personal preference. Almost all of the small fiddly bias binding collar stuff on my zoro was done by machine, as was all the pockets on the brock vest. Took a while to get use to using the machine that way. But then I is a noob both ways. Not for long though. Novice comp at ChCh Geddon.

And Souless do learn both hand and machine. There is always something you need to hand sew. And if things start falling apart at a con you will only have a hand sewing kit with you.
Highlander
Highlander
dark CHii

Back to top Go down

Post By SoulessPuppet. 28/10/09, 02:00 pm

@cacti:I think I'll try machine sew first because my mum can just teach me hand sew anytime~

@highlander: I might not take sewing as far as a professional outfit but yes, maybe I'll start off with the blazer~

Hmm.. How much does materials usually cost?
SoulessPuppet
SoulessPuppet
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By Highlander. 28/10/09, 02:35 pm

SoulessPuppet wrote:
@cacti:I think I'll try machine sew first because my mum can just teach me hand sew anytime~

@highlander: I might not take sewing as far as a professional outfit but yes, maybe I'll start off with the blazer~

Hmm.. How much does materials usually cost?

Um I was not suggesting a professional out fit. But like I assume you want to get into cosplay. And any skill takes practice. I have done my first ever shirt, pants, vest. And while I learnt a fair bit doing them, and they are passable, I am not really happy with my level of skill and finish. Probably I will not be happy until I can do my own patterns perfectly, and sew things so they look professional. But thats dreaming.

Materials. I have found good materials at $4 a meter, and know others have at $2 per meter. But normally they are $8-30 per meter. Unless you have money, love the cosplay and have little choice in material to make it look perfect then most people stay away from $30-60/m stuff. So like $8-15/m may be a good rough guide for most of what you end up getting.

Hints though. I have learnt these the hard way.

0) Print off reference pictures. Search the net for them is easiest. This will show you what pattern, material and colors you need.

1) Get your pattern first, and they can cost $10-20 themselves. But with the Ouran style coats then lots of people did them this year, so you may be able to borrow patterns.

2) The better patterns have suggested cutting layouts. Either get the shop assistant to help, or someone who knows patterns well. I still can't read them properly.

3) Then search the shop for fabrics. Don't buy the first one you see, keep looking, you can always go back and buy it once you know what is available. Try different shops if you need to. And compare with the referenc picture eg. color.

4) Although we talk about fabric in terms of meters the width is commonly 1.2m, 1.5m, 1.8m, but may be anything. So compare the cutting layouts with the width of the material, and work out how much length you need. The cheaper the material the more extra you can allow just in case. (This is how Freddie got her new muscle T. The material was too narrow for the T-shirt pattern for my cosplay, so it ended up sleeveless.)

PS. If you are not up for learning to make the badges contact Olli, her mom can make them pretty cheap.
Highlander
Highlander
dark CHii

Back to top Go down

Post By SoulessPuppet. 29/10/09, 12:08 pm

@Highlander: Ok. I guess thats alot of info to sink in....
I think I'll just take it slow and steady...
Maybe I'll just save the crap sewing till 2011
SoulessPuppet
SoulessPuppet
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By Highlander. 29/10/09, 12:23 pm

SoulessPuppet wrote:
@Highlander: Ok. I guess thats alot of info to sink in....
I think I'll just take it slow and steady...
Maybe I'll just save the crap sewing till 2011

The sooner you start, the sooner you get good. And since you are coming to ChCh Geddon next year that gives you four months to sew one jacket. Easy.

And in the mean time while you have nothing to do just grab a waste piece of fabric, needle, thread, and mother. Then learn to sew straight stitches, at even spacing. I can teach this in two minutes flat, up, down, up, down. But even I need heaps of practice to get it looking real good.

PS. just take someone with you to go through the steps with you when you decide to make the jacket.
Highlander
Highlander
dark CHii

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Making hats! UPDATED

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8