Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Do you worry about your cosplay?

Go to page : 1, 2  Next
View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Do you worry about your cosplay?
Post By Rikashiku. 10/12/08, 03:43 pm

Like when your wearing it, do you worry about any faults or anything to ruin it?

How do you reserve yourself from being paranoid and whats the most important thing to worry about?(Odd cominbation of questions)
Rikashiku
Rikashiku
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 601
Transforms into : being sexy D:.
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Do you worry about your cosplay? Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: Do you worry about your cosplay?
Post By CMKMStephens. 10/12/08, 03:46 pm

I worried about the general jerkery of plebians at Armageddon doing something stupid. I worry about it getting damaged.
CMKMStephens
CMKMStephens
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 634
Transforms into : Little Nellie
Registration date : 2008-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post By JVCA. 10/12/08, 03:55 pm

To help combat worrying: take safety pins. LOTS and LOTS of safety pins. They're a godsend when things go wrong at the last minute. Having a mini-sewing kit helps too - I got mine from the warehouse for $3.50 - it has needles, a couple of different colours of thread, a safety pin (...which has been lost, lol), some tiny scissors, a couple of pins and some buttons (which I'll never use) - all in a nice little hard plastic case. It's really compact too - I didn't need it this year, but last year the beads on my Yuna's obi jime exploded, and fortunately Jen had some thread and a needle to sew it back together with - otherwise I would've been screwed, coz this was pre-competition as well... n_n;

So yes. I do worry - more about props, than the costume itself, most of the time. My fear with props is knocking them into things and/or getting stolen, or hitting people with them by accident. Costume wise - anything which involves people seeing my thighs I get really paranoid about *is self-conscious of her thighs*. So if it's a short skirt, like Bianchi, I'm always double checking to see that it hasn't ridden up too high, and Yuna had a hip to floor length split in the skirt, and so when I sat down, if I didn't adjust it you could see my whole leg. >.< That, I was really paranoid about. With Flonne it was the opposite though - I had to keep pulling my bloomers up because they kept falling down, hahah. The other thing I worry about is my wig - I always feel like it's a tangly mess and keep trying to untangle it with my fingers, or keep stroking it to make sure it's okay - I must look like I have a wig fetish or something, hahah. =_=
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Number of posts : 7122
Transforms into : a crotchety old woman
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down
http://www.jvca.net.nz

Post By Static. 11/12/08, 12:07 am

@CKM: plebian. Hehehe. I love that word. it is not used nearly enough.
Static
Static
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3584
Transforms into : HULKSMASH
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down
http://www.little-noise.com

Post By Icarus. 11/12/08, 03:09 am

Hmm... costumes & props are a general concern, like I had to keep doing a kneeling pose (this one> http://miyukicookie.deviantart.com/art/D-Gray-man-Cosplay-83462349 )in the Lavi outfit I was always worried that the vinyl would rip a hole through in the pants, and I had to apologise to sooo many people cause I got a little too excited and start swinging the hammer around unconcisously...

But now I'm starting to wear make-up for cosplay, so I get more paranoid about whether I smudged it and poses for photos. (if someone I don't know takes my photo the least I want is them to have is a good photo of me) so I guess practise in the mirror and maybe carry one around to check the make-up isn't running would fix that.
Icarus
Icarus
ACB King '10

Number of posts : 3485
Transforms into : a dancing octopus
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Back to top Go down
http://icarus-cos.tumblr.com/

Post By KotoneVersus. 11/12/08, 04:40 am

People always want hugs when you're in cosplay. Dx

There's a large cry of 'Look! It's Haruhi!' or 'OMFGGG ILY Lolita~' and you're glomped and your fragile skirt somehow rips in a most inconvenient place.

Of course, when you're at cons you always want to hug OTHER people in cosplay (Dalek, Wellygeddon. You made my year.) so you kind of worry about ruining their cosplay as well.

Surprising how hugs can be so dangerous.
KotoneVersus
KotoneVersus
noodletastic

Number of posts : 1712
Transforms into : Harley Quinn
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/rani.carley

Post By Pura. 11/12/08, 09:11 am

Tackleglomps .__.

Seriously, they scare me. Luckly Bleach costumes aren't very breakable.

I don't like wigs :/
I got paranoid about mine. Paranoid that it looked crap :/
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post By Yami. 11/12/08, 06:15 pm

well I am making a gundam cardboard cosplay I made a really bad one for year 13 week at school and the since it rained really early in the morning the ground was really wet and the legs got stuffed I am thinking about doing a proper one for geddon but I dunno if I have the skill to move around so much people without tearing my costume to pieces
Yami
Yami
Ultimatum

Number of posts : 232
Transforms into : Konoyono subete ni Zetsuboushita
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post By firecat70. 13/12/08, 09:04 pm

I get really paranoid in costume. From things like knowing every little imperfection with the costume and worrying about them to thinking people are hating on me because my costume isn't good -___- But I am generally paranoid.
To try avoid it, I try to busy myself. Talk to people, and do stuff so that I don't get caught up in my own silly worries.
I also worry that my wig is tangled or croked... and also that my mascara/eyeliner has smudged if I am wearing it (though, I worry about that normally anyway -___-)
I am always worried when I eat (clumsy!) that I will spill. Or that I will trip and rip something.
In conclusion, I worry a lot. But it is good to see others share those. It is good to read other's prevention methods. Yay for safety pins.
firecat70
firecat70
lucky*

Number of posts : 1117
Transforms into : a dinosaur
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down
http://www.scoodasaurus.com

Post By Pura. 14/12/08, 03:30 pm

Yami wrote:
well I am making a gundam cardboard cosplay I made a really bad one for year 13 week at school and the since it rained really early in the morning the ground was really wet and the legs got stuffed I am thinking about doing a proper one for geddon but I dunno if I have the skill to move around so much people without tearing my costume to pieces

Are you making the transformable kind? They are epic.
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Back to top Go down

Post By kyokyogirl. 15/12/08, 11:00 am

Food. I am always paranoid about eating in costume. The last thing I want is to get something on my costume that I won't be able to get off.

Make-up. I really only started using makeup when I started cosplaying so I'm always worried about whether it looks ok.
kyokyogirl
kyokyogirl
fuzzeh duckling~

Number of posts : 1097
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post By Tamoo. 30/12/08, 02:33 pm

Kotone & Pura >> These are the many reason why I do not wish to make complicated costumes XD
Tamoo
Tamoo
Supermod

Number of posts : 4525
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post By Kelchup. 29/01/09, 03:01 pm

Hmm, I have not worried before reading this thread.. Tho everyone kept standing on my Yuna hair.. XD
And at one point my shorts rode up a biiiit to high.

I am worried about my staff for sakura.. It's bitsy.

I guess just having friends there to tell you if something is falling off is alright. Just take string, rubber bands and like JVCA said, Safety pins!!!!
Kelchup
Kelchup
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post By Squishy blob. 23/04/09, 06:37 am

I feel proud in cosplay, but wearing Gothic lolita stuff gets me a bit paranoid. I think it's because cosplay feels like one big inside joke but in GL I fear meeting people I know. Once some family friends saw me in K-mart / my parents and they were all. . . "Oh... she's really... Grown up now..." *nervous laugh*

My other cosplay related fears are coloured drinks and meeting people with better wigs tha me...
Squishy blob
Squishy blob
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1228
Transforms into : pancakes at 5am
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down
http://squishyblob.tumblr.com

Post By Static. 23/04/09, 06:46 am

I'm always paranoid about how I look in the costume. If I think I look weird, or am feeling particularly insecure on the day, I get grumpier than an upside-down porcupine. Otherwise, usually I try to make costumes that are secure enough they won't fall off, so that's okay - but yeah, wig tangling is a PAIN.
Static
Static
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By JVCA. 23/04/09, 06:52 am

I always end up fiddling with my wigs, trying to comb them with my fingers and push them forward all the time when they slip back. >.> Emotionally though, I'm secure in my costume as long as the costume is not falling apart like Rosso was.
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Back to top Go down

Post By Squishy blob. 23/04/09, 06:55 am

It's also a worry if your wig is self-styled and you don't trust the hairspray. I have a series of photos of my friend cosplaying as kakashi and as the day went on his spikes got droopier...
Squishy blob
Squishy blob
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1228
Transforms into : pancakes at 5am
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down
http://squishyblob.tumblr.com

Post By Aikome. 23/04/09, 03:08 pm

Hair is the worst, whether it's a wig or yours.

Especially fringes and frizziness. GAH!
Aikome
Aikome
TEH WIZARD OF OZ.

Number of posts : 1564
Transforms into : TROLL :3
Registration date : 2009-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 24/04/09, 06:12 am

Styled wigs.

Roxas wig generally has me MAJORLY paranoid sweatdrop

I'm always terrified that I've messed up the spikes or that they've snapped off (They have SO much gel and spray in them...)

And grass... At Sakura Festival I managed to grass stain my pants very badly. Washing them made the dye run and the lower parts went purple gonk

It happened again at 'geddon sigh

Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 24/04/09, 06:28 am

JVCA wrote:
Emotionally though, I'm secure in my costume as long as the costume is not falling apart like Rosso was.

Hehe, that's the worst...when your pants/skirt/whatever are in danger of falling off. Way to give yourself grey hair...I'm really, really bad when I'm in costume for worrying about my figure. If I think something makes me look chubby (if it's baggy or not tailored properly), I freak out, and woe betide anybody who tries to chat when I'm in those moods - snappiness and ridiculous quantities of cursing tend to come out of my mouth and I can't stop it! It's silly, but one of my pet worries. Bleargh.
Static
Static
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Cookie Monster. 26/04/09, 05:59 am

For the past few years it seems like I've been a walking Murphy's Law. I was worried about my Space Marine costume (it's my only one to date; I am planning others >_>;) so I built it like a tank. Unfortunely it weighed in at 50kg because of my paranoia, so it also felt like I was wearing a tank.
In the end I had people making way for the huge battle armour costume, and I think I bowled 1 or 2 people who didn't get out of the road in time. v_v;
Cookie Monster
Cookie Monster
Superman

Number of posts : 254
Transforms into : Fruit and Veggie Monster :(
Registration date : 2009-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post By Nazgul. 26/04/09, 06:13 am

Oh mann yea I do too >.<

During Con weekends i get soo excited/nervous that I can't eat at all, and all I feed on would be water and Milo, for the weekend. D8
I won't have any appetite and if I try to eat I'd throw up lol
I get so nervous about whether I'd be able to pull the character off at all! Lucky my costumes are all reasonably simple, compared to others I've seen *stares at JVCA*, but whether I can pull of the attractiveness of the character in terms of appearance is always my worry T.T

yup, so shallow 8D
Nazgul
Nazgul
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 519
Transforms into : Yaoi God
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Back to top Go down
http://nazgullow.weebly.com

Post By Pura. 26/04/09, 06:25 am

Nazgul wrote:

During Con weekends i get soo excited/nervous that I can't eat at all, and all I feed on would be water and Milo, for the weekend. D8

I just forget to eat =__=;;
On Sunday at Welly this year I hardly left the building, so I didn't have time to buy food, and it's too expensive there, so the only thing I ended up eating the entire day was the chocolate I got from the easter egg hunt xD. (And that was at about 7pm xDD.) I also didn't drink the entire day until about 5pm when my sister made me crave coke xDD;;

This year I don't think I had many cosplay worries. The ears on my Jolteon hat kept being blown backwards by the wind, so I had to keep fixing that xDD.
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Back to top Go down

Post By JVCA. 26/04/09, 11:27 am

Nazgul wrote:
Lucky my costumes are all reasonably simple, compared to others I've seen *stares at JVCA*

THIS IS MY PROBLEM. *WHY* DO I CHOOSE THE OVERCOMPLICATED ONES!? Whhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyy??? *cries*

Also, I love your signature. <3

@Tigurius: I can definitely understand why you kept taking it off! D: Weren't you ever worried about people stealing bits when you took it off and left it behind?
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Back to top Go down

Post By azeria. 26/04/09, 11:40 am

White Pants xDD

at our after-geddon meetup wa paranoid about something staining them. There were only a few marks 'round the bottoms that came out in the wash though 8D
azeria
azeria
ACB Queen '10

Number of posts : 3226
Transforms into : Rinatron
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down
http://azeriacosplay.tumblr.com/

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content