Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New to New Zealand

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Re: New to New Zealand
Post By Kori123. 24/11/08, 05:33 am

Let's see... I tlaked to my aunt last night briefly. She told me that she lives on this hill that if you go down it there's the beach but it's a steep hike back up the hill. She said once I get there we might move to...some bay I think nearby? Where it's more flat or something. I really don't know. XD Tell you more later.
Kori123
Kori123
Tophat

Number of posts : 131
Transforms into : Preheat at 450, bake until golden brown then poke with a fork to see if the squishy middle is ready
Registration date : 2008-11-13

New to New Zealand - Page 4 Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Mayx. 24/11/08, 05:54 am

That sounds like just about anywhere kukuku <3

I live up a hill that has an inlet at the bottom. I've never actually been there, though >3> lol I need to get out of my house.

Hello by the way =D
Mayx
Mayx
Pinky

Number of posts : 14
Transforms into : omnommon
Registration date : 2008-11-24

Back to top Go down
http://cindre.deviantart.com

Post By Kori123. 24/11/08, 05:56 am

Hiya! I know it's not very helpful at all XD I'll have to post it when I get there...

Turns out I have to wait ten hours in the airport before I get to actually board the plane for NZ. >_<
Kori123
Kori123
Tophat

Transforms into : Preheat at 450, bake until golden brown then poke with a fork to see if the squishy middle is ready

Back to top Go down

Post By Mayx. 24/11/08, 06:00 am

Ughhh I hate waiting in airports D: it's so boring.
You'll have to try and bring something entertaining. Like uhm.. video games or manga or something x3

I don't think you'll remember the wait, though. It's a looonnnngg flight to NZ xD

I think when I came over here it was 30 hours.
And the plane didn't have any screens to watch movies or whatever on it >->;
Mayx
Mayx
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post By Kori123. 24/11/08, 06:06 am

Well in the airport I'll use my laptop to RP and play WoW no doubt. Maybe watch a few movies and pass time.

On the flight I'll read, write, draw and write stuff. Maybe use my laptop if I'm able to, but I dunno.

Then I'll be jet lagged of course when I do get here XD
Kori123
Kori123
Tophat

Back to top Go down

Post By Pura. 24/11/08, 06:26 am

Kori123 wrote:
Let's see... I tlaked to my aunt last night briefly. She told me that she lives on this hill that if you go down it there's the beach but it's a steep hike back up the hill. She said once I get there we might move to...some bay I think nearby? Where it's more flat or something. I really don't know. XD Tell you more later.

... Very decriptive xD. I think the whole of Wellington from the opposit side I live on is like that xD.

And there are lots of bays D:

But I live in hills. So the comment about the hills wasn't handy xDD. The WHOLE of Wellington is made up of hills (walking up them everyday from school isn't fun D: ).

And currently, it's hot and rainy -___-.
Seriously. Wellington weather is stupid! I died walking from my school into town today. I was so hot. And then it rains while I'm on the bus -____-.
*grumble*
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post By Kori123. 24/11/08, 06:48 am

Hm...guess it really wasn't helpful. I wasn't sure if maybe there like...one designated area or something XD Ah well, I'll post more as I find out.
Kori123
Kori123
Tophat

Back to top Go down

Post By Mayx. 24/11/08, 06:54 am

Kori123 wrote:
Well in the airport I'll use my laptop to RP and play WoW no doubt. Maybe watch a few movies and pass time.

On the flight I'll read, write, draw and write stuff. Maybe use my laptop if I'm able to, but I dunno.

Then I'll be jet lagged of course when I do get here XD

Good plan ;3

lol yes jetlag. Mine lasted about a week. Oh such fun! What a Face
Mayx
Mayx
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post By Pura. 24/11/08, 07:12 am

http://www.wellingtonmap.co.nz/WELLINGTON%20MAP%202006%20small.gif

See, at the bottom right, is the area with all the bays (there are also some not on the map to the top that comes around in a loop opposit the harbour xD.), and then in the middle there's what I think of being some of the main suberbs (hell, this year I went to a Suberb near the bottom part of the map that I had never heard of before ...). I live in Northland >3. It's hilly xD. As is the rest of Wellington xD.
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post By azeria. 24/11/08, 11:09 am

... Churton Park looks so far away from everyone onthat map ;_;

Even though it's only about 2 minutes drive from J'Ville =P
azeria
azeria
ACB Queen '10

Number of posts : 3226
Transforms into : Rinatron
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down
http://azeriacosplay.tumblr.com/

Post By Kori123. 24/11/08, 11:12 am

I'm pretty sure it's Island Bay we will be moving too. That sounds familiar.
Kori123
Kori123
Tophat

Back to top Go down

Post By jpwise. 24/11/08, 11:42 am

Pura wrote:
http://www.wellingtonmap.co.nz/WELLINGTON%20MAP%202006%20small.gif

*DOH!* I'm not even on that map!! sad
jpwise
jpwise
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down
http://gallery.of.geek.nz

Post By Rolly. 24/11/08, 11:50 am

NZ is known for its beautiful scenery as well. Just look at LoTR and Narnia and all those background hills and stuff are so... New Zealandy.

Annnnnnd, there are a lot of places in NZ that are still quite rural.
Rolly
Rolly
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2918
Transforms into : a stylish shoe for the blind earthbender
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post By jpwise. 24/11/08, 11:52 am

heh. my folks live 40k's out into the country. There's still gravel roads to get the last 5 k's to them. Razz
jpwise
jpwise
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down
http://gallery.of.geek.nz

Post By azeria. 24/11/08, 11:53 am

lol Prince Caspian movie. When I first saw the trailer I went "OMG CATHEDRAL COVE *love*' & lol at the random seagulls during that scene xD
& yes, when watching LOTR I went'It's just soo..... New Zealandy o_0'

awww poor JP *pets* It has an arrow pointing to the Hutt though? 8D
azeria
azeria
ACB Queen '10

Number of posts : 3226
Transforms into : Rinatron
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down
http://azeriacosplay.tumblr.com/

Post By Suixelo. 24/11/08, 12:00 pm

... idk. To me, LoTR and Prince Caspian are as little NZ as you can get. I've never seen these places in the country haha, only on TV.

I just think too many people come here expecting that and it shouldn't be something we promote so much because it's not the country... it's a veryvery small part of the country =/
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3569
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post By Mayx. 24/11/08, 12:49 pm

Suixelo wrote:
... idk. To me, LoTR and Prince Caspian are as little NZ as you can get. I've never seen these places in the country haha, only on TV.

I just think too many people come here expecting that and it shouldn't be something we promote so much because it's not the country... it's a veryvery small part of the country =/

That's so true D: The promoting for NZ to the rest of the world is green hills and a green life style and everything, so everyone goes all hoommmg it's so pretty, like a paradise.

But like you say, it is just a small part of the country, where very little people actually live xD
And also, as my mum often points out, NZ is very, very bad at being green. They still have log fires and sell their food in stuff that doesn't biodegrade. So hmmm >3>
Mayx
Mayx
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post By Suixelo. 24/11/08, 01:00 pm

Exactly. My mum is still surprised by the lack of restrictions here, for a supposedly green country. The UK does a lot more work on keeping green than NZ does =/

I just don't see why we can't promote other things about the country rather than just oh... it's pretty!
lol everywhere in the world is pretty from a certain view.
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Kori123. 24/11/08, 07:11 pm

Hm, sounds odd. I thought it was this like...island paradise thing to. With little shops and stuff, kind of like san diego by the pier? But doing a bunch of research it sounds a lot different yet still very similar. It'll be interesting when I get there.

I heard you guys didn't have reese's peanut buttercups. My aunt said to bring a few of those and a couple other things you guys can't get there easily. Anything I should know about?
Kori123
Kori123
Tophat

Back to top Go down

Post By Pseudonym. 24/11/08, 11:12 pm

Suixelo wrote:

You live in ... Central Auckland ... that is a far more skewed representation of NZ than any movie will show.

Suixelo wrote:

As someone who has lived in NZ all her life and travelled around the whole South Island many times (have you?) and has driven from Wellington to Auckland, I object to that statement.

Suixelo wrote:

Exactly. My mum is still surprised by the lack of restrictions here, for a supposedly green country. The UK does a lot more work on keeping green than NZ does =/

I just don't see why we can't promote other things about the country rather than just oh... it's pretty!
lol everywhere in the world is pretty from a certain view.

Your opinion is also rather bias, as it's really easy to find posts where you say how much you dislike NZ and how much you prefer the other countries you've lived in. I know I would appreciate it if you didn't make gross (and incorrect) generalizations just because you don't like our country. Thanks.

Oh, and welcome Kori, I love your Haruhi costume! (I love Haruhi and can't wait till the next season!) hopefully I will see you at Wellington armageddon since I'll probably be flying up there next year Very Happy
Pseudonym
Pseudonym
Almighty

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post By Suixelo. 25/11/08, 12:05 am

lol... I've actually only been in Auckland 6 months, but I have been living in NZ for 8 years. I love this country, but it is very hard to be forced to live somewhere that is not your home. For me, complaining is one way I deal with it. Nobody is perfect in the ways they deal with things and I wish I was better at dealing with it. But when most of your family is overseas, it gets hard. I tend to take it out on this country because I'm stupid.

I would appreciate it if you didn't act snobbish and rude to me, because you don't know me and you don't know my situation. Nowhere in my post did I say anything negative, I merely said that LoTR ≠ NZ. Thank you.
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By firecat70. 25/11/08, 01:17 am

Kori123 wrote:
I heard you guys didn't have reese's peanut buttercups. My aunt said to bring a few of those and a couple other things you guys can't get there easily. Anything I should know about?

Some places have them! Normally you find them in little asian foodstores, which import most of their food.
You never know which places will have them though, so you have to hunt around.

When I was in the US, I remember pretty much EVERYONE said they loved NZ and it was beautiful and they wanted to go. It's not all like LOTR (most of the greenery here is sheep paddocks... at least where I live) but some places are really pretty. The country varies a lot, some parts are all tussocks, others really green and mountainy, and others almost tropical (in the North Island anyway). It's a bit of a mixed bag.
Wear sunblock, because there's a hole in the ozone layer!

I hope you enjoy NZ! whee
firecat70
firecat70
lucky*

Number of posts : 1117
Transforms into : a dinosaur
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down
http://www.scoodasaurus.com

Post By Tamoo. 25/11/08, 02:05 am

Pseudonym, please do not start fights. I did not see anything wrong Suixelo's post. As she had stated, she had not said anything negative about New Zealand and I know as a true fact, she really does love New Zealand. Posts like that can upset people and we are a happy and friendly community. Im not ganging up on you, and if you are angered because I have scolded you, then I'm really sorry. I don't mind if you vent your anger about me, but please refrain for posts that are just asking for negative and controversial responses.

After this post, I do not want to read any more of this. We are welcoming Kori and anything other than welcomes will not be tolerated anymore.
Tamoo
Tamoo
Supermod

Number of posts : 4525
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post By sakuramiyabi. 25/11/08, 02:10 am

<edited by mod>
sakuramiyabi
sakuramiyabi
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3941
Transforms into : Melted pool of something
Registration date : 2008-01-09

Back to top Go down
http://sakuramiyabi019.deviantart.com

Post By Mayx. 25/11/08, 03:27 am

Hey, Kori.
You'll notice a big difference in NZ coming from America. I went there for Christmas last year to visit a (now ex) friend of mine, and you do have a lot of variety of different things, whilst over here there's not so much of that, I suppose because it's such a small and isolated country. It's really difficult to get things out here.

You might find it a bit difficult to get used to it at first, it's only natural. Growing up with certain things, you get used to them, and your body will crave for those things and drive you insane. Soomme people might take the view of 'oh get over it you're here now so just eat what we have' but just ignore them ;D lolol <3 they'd be the same if they moved somewhere else that didn't have the stuff they grew up loving.
They actually do have a few stores around that sell food from other countries =D they're like a little slice of home.
I don't know if there are any from the US, but there are a few places; I went to Cool Britannia the other day, it was so awesome we got some stuff we hadn't had in years.

And also, the internet is love for finding stuff that they don't sell here, but because of really bad exchange rates, you'll end up seriously out of pocket.
I spent over $100 on just ordering a Roxas and Cloud plushie from Amazon. The combined price of the items and the shipping was murder for the $NZ
ButIhadtohavethemsoshush.
Mayx
Mayx
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.