Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New to New Zealand

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Re: New to New Zealand
Post By Kitten Slave. 25/11/08, 03:39 am

lol, I regularly tease kiwi ppl I know about living on a "little island in the middle of nowhere".
I always find it somewhat amusing when ppl say its difficult to get things out here.
Im from South Africa originally. Its difficult to get things there. This place is like Santa's workshop Razz
That said, I do miss certain foodstuffs... I can cook, but Im not THAT l33t.
Kitten Slave
Kitten Slave
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2977
Transforms into : A horny school girl.
Registration date : 2007-12-04

New to New Zealand - Page 5 Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Suixelo. 25/11/08, 04:35 am

Quote :
Wear sunblock, because there's a hole in the ozone layer!

THIS. Hahahaha.

On shipping, get friends and family to send stuff over and you'll save a lot haha. Companies charge a lot more than the public get charged.

Oh, and if you come up to Auckland and I can get you up the skytower for free ;D
Employee benefits ftw
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3569
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post By jpwise. 25/11/08, 04:48 am

Suixelo wrote:
Oh, and if you come up to Auckland and I can get you up the skytower for free ;D
Employee benefits ftw

hehe, is there a limit on how many you can get in for free? *imagines lift full of cosplayers shooting upwards* Razz
jpwise
jpwise
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down
http://gallery.of.geek.nz

Post By azeria. 25/11/08, 05:22 am

Quote :
I heard you guys didn't have reese's peanut buttercups. My aunt said to bring a few of those and a couple other things you guys can't get there easily. Anything I should know about?

The dairy near my school has them~ I was actually considering buying some yesterday xD

Quote :
hehe, is there a limit on how many you can get in for free? *imagines lift full of cosplayers shooting upwards*
DO IT.
azeria
azeria
ACB Queen '10

Number of posts : 3226
Transforms into : Rinatron
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down
http://azeriacosplay.tumblr.com/

Post By Chiritsu. 25/11/08, 05:59 am

azeria wrote:
Quote :
hehe, is there a limit on how many you can get in for free? *imagines lift full of cosplayers shooting upwards*
DO IT.
DO IT. ninja

Last edited by Chiritsu on 25/11/08, 06:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Chiritsu
Chiritsu
Unexplanatory

Number of posts : 46
Transforms into : Purin Dog's Purin Jelly
Registration date : 2008-11-24

Back to top Go down
http://chiritsu.deviantart.com

Post By Pseudonym. 25/11/08, 06:00 am

My apologies (to Kori) and Suixelo , It was never my intention to start a fight with you or upset you, I usually enjoy your posts/find them amusing.

Kori:
NZ has many beautiful places and, yes, plenty that are not so much. Living down in Chch, there are farms and paddocks about 2 mins from where I live, and there are some beautiful lifestyle blocks /rural areas about 10-15 mins drive from the town. You said you come from a tiny little town? It's hard to know what that means in comparison to NZ, having worked in an international school, I've had the opportunity to meet people from lots of different towns and countries, mostly which are all much larger than lil' ol Christchurch, heh, so Wellington, or Christchurch or even Auckland, may not seem that large to you.

(I just wiki'd where you live and it says its about 15 times smaller than Chch ^_^' and Wellington is only a little larger than chch (and by a little larger I mean by about the size of your town Surprised) That's awesome!)

(Wikipedia is also awesome.)

Oh and in regards to food, there are a lot of international food sellers, I am not sure about American food, but yes, you will expect to pay through the nose for it. Not to mention that many stores bring things in seasonally, e.g. around Xmas its usually easy (but expensive) to find the German chocolate I grew up with.

Anyway, best of luck for your flight, etc. If you are having trouble fitting costumes in, you should ask your aunt if she has a sewing machine? You can always buy fabric while you're here! Very Happy
Pseudonym
Pseudonym
Almighty

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post By Suixelo. 25/11/08, 09:31 am

Quote :
One at a time, sorry guys ^^;
And security does monitor it, so it wouldn't be a good idea to shift people up one by one. But you're more than welcome to pay and come up XD;;
Went up today, totally made me cry because I'm a wuss. I love Auckland haha.

And Pseudonym, don't worry. We all say things the wrong way online, I'm not proud of some of the things I say either haha.
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Kori123. 25/11/08, 10:20 am

Mayx wrote:
Hey, Kori.
You'll notice a big difference in NZ coming from America. I went there for Christmas last year to visit a (now ex) friend of mine, and you do have a lot of variety of different things, whilst over here there's not so much of that, I suppose because it's such a small and isolated country. It's really difficult to get things out here.

You might find it a bit difficult to get used to it at first, it's only natural. Growing up with certain things, you get used to them, and your body will crave for those things and drive you insane. Soomme people might take the view of 'oh get over it you're here now so just eat what we have' but just ignore them ;D lolol <3 they'd be the same if they moved somewhere else that didn't have the stuff they grew up loving.
They actually do have a few stores around that sell food from other countries =D they're like a little slice of home.
I don't know if there are any from the US, but there are a few places; I went to Cool Britannia the other day, it was so awesome we got some stuff we hadn't had in years.

And also, the internet is love for finding stuff that they don't sell here, but because of really bad exchange rates, you'll end up seriously out of pocket.
I spent over $100 on just ordering a Roxas and Cloud plushie from Amazon. The combined price of the items and the shipping was murder for the $NZ
ButIhadtohavethemsoshush.

Wow..that's a lot for plushies. I think I ordered a plushie online and it cost me only 5 dollars, and it was from China... Maybe I'll have to bring some stuff with me. I have a huge plushie collection XD How are you guys with manga there? I hope you're good because I cna't live without my manga...and I can't bring my book shelves with me...

I can't wait to get to NZ! I'm so excited XD I'm getting a new video camera and a digital camera for Xmas from my folks, so I can record and take tons of pictures going to NZ and when I actually get there. I'll do a few things of here as well.
Kori123
Kori123
Tophat

Number of posts : 131
Transforms into : Preheat at 450, bake until golden brown then poke with a fork to see if the squishy middle is ready
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post By Kori123. 25/11/08, 10:22 am

Pseudonym wrote:
My apologies (to Kori) and Suixelo , It was never my intention to start a fight with you or upset you, I usually enjoy your posts/find them amusing.

Kori:
NZ has many beautiful places and, yes, plenty that are not so much. Living down in Chch, there are farms and paddocks about 2 mins from where I live, and there are some beautiful lifestyle blocks /rural areas about 10-15 mins drive from the town. You said you come from a tiny little town? It's hard to know what that means in comparison to NZ, having worked in an international school, I've had the opportunity to meet people from lots of different towns and countries, mostly which are all much larger than lil' ol Christchurch, heh, so Wellington, or Christchurch or even Auckland, may not seem that large to you.

(I just wiki'd where you live and it says its about 15 times smaller than Chch ^_^' and Wellington is only a little larger than chch (and by a little larger I mean by about the size of your town Surprised) That's awesome!)

(Wikipedia is also awesome.)

Oh and in regards to food, there are a lot of international food sellers, I am not sure about American food, but yes, you will expect to pay through the nose for it. Not to mention that many stores bring things in seasonally, e.g. around Xmas its usually easy (but expensive) to find the German chocolate I grew up with.

Anyway, best of luck for your flight, etc. If you are having trouble fitting costumes in, you should ask your aunt if she has a sewing machine? You can always buy fabric while you're here! Very Happy

Oh you didn't upset me at all! I hardly noticed anything offensive at all actually...maybe I'm just oblivious.

Thanks for the information on everything. I can't wait to get there X3 As for costumes, I don't know how to sew...I color, cut and stylize wigs. But my friends make my costumes or I buy them online. I'll have t limit myself to...I'll go with three tops. XD

Edit by Mod: Please don't double post - it's against our forum's rules. Instead, hit the edit button at the top right of your last post. ;)

If you're unsure of the definition of double posting, or our rules for that matter, then our Forum Rules should answer all your questions. If you find quotes are too long, cut out some sentences irrelevant.
Kori123
Kori123
Tophat

Transforms into : Preheat at 450, bake until golden brown then poke with a fork to see if the squishy middle is ready

Back to top Go down

Post By Suixelo. 25/11/08, 10:28 am

Manga... we're getting better. Auckland is pretty okay now, but I'm not so sure about Wellington. Be prepared to pay more though!

About the costumes, just be aware you can't enter the contests and appear onstage in bought or commissioned costumes. I know in some conventions overseas it's allowed in some way, but here nothing commissioned is allowed. If you just wanna hall cosplay it's fiiiine though!
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Kori123. 25/11/08, 10:31 am

Suixelo wrote:
Manga... we're getting better. Auckland is pretty okay now, but I'm not so sure about Wellington. Be prepared to pay more though!

About the costumes, just be aware you can't enter the contests and appear onstage in bought or commissioned costumes. I know in some conventions overseas it's allowed in some way, but here nothing commissioned is allowed. If you just wanna hall cosplay it's fiiiine though!

That sucks...Oh well, I have all my manga here on layaway, so it'll just come in the mail when they come out. So when I come back my shelf will just be even more taken over with books XD I need a new bookshelf...soon.

I don't enter contests, so no worries there. All the cons I've been to don't allow bought costumes. You can use them for skit contests, but for costume contests they want you to use your own. If you had it commished, you have to have the person's written consent or have them with you.
Kori123
Kori123
Tophat

Back to top Go down

Post By Suixelo. 25/11/08, 10:57 am

Layaway?

Just thought I'd let you know just in case ^^
Our skit and costume contests are the same, but you can opt out of being judged for one or the other. Neither allow commissioned anything.
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 25/11/08, 10:59 am

Kori123 wrote:
Hm, sounds odd. I thought it was this like...island paradise thing to. With little shops and stuff, kind of like san diego by the pier? But doing a bunch of research it sounds a lot different yet still very similar. It'll be interesting when I get there.

I heard you guys didn't have reese's peanut buttercups. My aunt said to bring a few of those and a couple other things you guys can't get there easily. Anything I should know about?

bring sweedish fish and jolly ranchers they are the man and we cant get them here at all......

also bring some better interenet cheap games, some people, a good taco, some a&w and we should be all good.

Back to top Go down

Post By Kori123. 25/11/08, 11:01 am

Yeah. You can preorder books like...months and months and sometimes years in advanced here. So I do that and have them mailed to my house when I'm too lazy to go to the mall.

Well either way, I won't enter. I suck at preforming... Besides dancing, I don't do skits. I can do them, but only if someone writes it for me. I'm not very creative.
Kori123
Kori123
Tophat

Back to top Go down

Post By Suixelo. 25/11/08, 11:08 am

That sounds pretty amazing *__*

We always need more dancing skits! We don't get many here because of the 2 minute cap on skits, which is a shame. I wanna do one though~

And bring a Disney Store. There is a severe lack of Disney here ;__;
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 25/11/08, 11:12 am

and we have no root beer so you may want to bring some supplies if you like the horrendus stuff

and a tip steer WELL away from vegiemite, marmite or any yeast spread its awful!

Back to top Go down

Post By Pura. 25/11/08, 11:15 am

Wellington has Borders. It has a pretty good manga selection actually. And depending on what title you want, you can get it here before America has it out =3=.

Singapore manga FTW. I love ChuagYi manga~
I bought Vampire Knight volume 7 today~
And Reborn! volume 1 >3. (Epic manga is epic - it has a printing error and the cover is upside down xDD).
Also, you can get manga for $10 (which is cheaper than the American exchange rate ...) if you have the right token >3. Borders currently have 50% off ones! Both the manga I bought were $9.
(Usually, manga is between $18-25 .__.). $10NZ is about $5.50US. (OMG, that IS double now .__. It's getting worse, methinks Dx)

Uhmn, I know there are lots of Asian food stores here xD. I think there's a Brittish one too. Not sure about American though :/.

Oh, and apparently our fast food sizes are ALOT smaller than American food. My friend said that in America, a small cup from McDonalds is our Large size o__o. I wonder if that's true ...

Oh. And we will have accents =3=
Hahaha. I don't think we do. We sound silly. And accent-less, IMO.
But acording to my friend in Ireland (how do I get friends from there ...?), we have very clear accents ...
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post By Kori123. 25/11/08, 11:18 am

Dancing skits are fun, but I probably won't do one anyway. I like dancing just for fun. I'm eager to just break out in dance with my iPod or laptop but without my friends I might be shy. I might just think about it and not do it at all XD

I don't like soda so I'm fine on the root beer thing. X3

I won't even think of touching those...just the names freak me out.

I'll hunt down some manga then! I'll go and hunt it down. I'm bringing a lot of money with me. As for teh fast food size thing, I'll have to check. I work (currently) at McDonalds so I'll test this so called cup size >X3 Which could sound weird saying that...cup size comparing...yeah...

I LOVE your guys' accents! Those are my favorite accents ever, I'm so excited to hear them! I'm such a dork.
Kori123
Kori123
Tophat

Back to top Go down

Post By Tamoo. 25/11/08, 11:19 am

Mod says: Please don't double post - it's against our forum's rules. Instead, hit the edit button at the top right of your last post. ;)

If you're unsure of the definition of double posting, or our rules for that matter, then our Forum Rules should answer all your questions.

Tamoo
Supermod

Number of posts : 4525
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post By Pura. 25/11/08, 11:23 am

How big are the cups there? Uhhh ... Hold on. We go my centermeters ... ha. You'll probably be confused by the metric system xD. Unless you already know it ... America shows always confuse me when they measure. D:

Wellington has lots of wind too x__x. Today, during my History exam, all the wind was blowing against the side of the building Dx. It distracted me so much.
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Back to top Go down

Post By Kori123. 25/11/08, 11:26 am

Oh! Sorry, didn't mean to double post. Won't happen again.

Metrics have always been a weakness... I'll have to adjust then.

I've heard about the wind. It really doesn't get very windy here. We live in a valley so we have the mountains to block everything.
Kori123
Kori123
Tophat

Back to top Go down

Post By Pura. 25/11/08, 11:30 am

Haha. It's the mountains here that CREATE the wind -__-.

Top of South Island hills > Cook Straight > Wellington Hills.

The Cook Straight (the ocean between the two main Islands) is a friggin' wind tunnel. The wind gives me headaches too ;__;
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Back to top Go down

Post By azeria. 26/11/08, 12:49 am

Stupid internets dying eated my post form last night D;

But yes, Wellington has Borders~ Internet coupons are win so sign up for the e-mailing listing once you get here xD

We also have Pulsar which is good for new releases but crazy expensive. $27 manga sometimes *dies*

Quote :
and a tip steer WELL away from vegiemite, marmite or any yeast spread its awful

=O Marmite is awesome~ Or 'Mo-Mite' as it is caled this month xD
azeria
azeria
ACB Queen '10

Number of posts : 3226
Transforms into : Rinatron
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down
http://azeriacosplay.tumblr.com/

Post By Pura. 26/11/08, 06:00 am

Stupid bad exchange rate made manga go up in price at Pulsar Max x__x.

I haven't bought anything from them in years. Seriously, what's the point when I can wait a while and get manga more than half price?
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Back to top Go down

Post By Rolly. 26/11/08, 07:11 am

Kori123 wrote:

I heard you guys didn't have reese's peanut buttercups.

FRUIT WORLD

Seriously, I always see some at the counter. >_>

I was also going to add that taking care in the sun is even more important than ever in NZ than in America. Really, just a day out in the sun can get you sunburnt. Without a hat, or sunscreen. Lol.

Ohh.. Depending on where you live.. like Auckland, the weather changes VERY QUICKLY. Even the weather forecast is only correct 70% of the time. Ho ho. ^_^;;

OH YEAH, as someone mentioned, we use metric instead of imperial. BUT, for cooking/baking and stuff, we use both imperial as in tablespoons, teaspoons, cups, etc, and nl's as well. NZ is unique like that. ;D
Also, random fact, 'cause I like baking, flour milled in NZ is of excellent quality. It has good protein and gluten in it with out needing to actually add any gluten flour. Unless you're aiming for high grade then you'll need to add some gluten flour to standard flour. lol. That's the baker in me speaking.
Don't worry... metric is easy! 10, 100, 100, 10000, yeah! Just count in tens... XD

Wellington is windy, from what I've heard. Bring some windproof jackets.
Rolly
Rolly
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2918
Transforms into : a stylish shoe for the blind earthbender
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content