Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Neckwear/Collar prop help/advice?

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Neckwear/Collar prop help/advice?
Post By Toshiya. 06/04/13, 04:30 pm

Amateur cosplayer here! So 2 of my cosplays for Armageddon require 2 types of collars and I'm a bit stuck on how I should make them.

The first one being the Battle Royale explosive collar
Spoiler:

The second being the Deadman Wonderland collar which seems to be a bit rounder and thicker than the BR collar.
Spoiler:

Not sure how to go about the best way of making them. I was thinking paper mache with silver foil or even thin foam for the BR collar - Still have no clue for the DW collar.
Also for how to attach and remove the collars to my neck. Velcro? Tape? Both collars seem to look pretty tight on the character and for that I need a way to fasten it onto my neck.

So any help at all would be appreciated :)
Toshiya
Toshiya
Unexplanatory

Number of posts : 36
Transforms into : A lil shota boy
Registration date : 2013-03-15

Neckwear/Collar prop help/advice? Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: Neckwear/Collar prop help/advice?
Post By Pura. 06/04/13, 05:12 pm

When I cosplayed Eureka from Eureka 7 she had a very similar collar to the second one. What I did was make the collar out of clay and had it in two halves which connected by magnets that were pretty much the same thickness as the collar. (tbh I can't remember if I finished the collar, I don't think I did, which means this all works in theory, lol).
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post By lollikit. 07/04/13, 08:16 am

paper mache a headband !!!!! <3 <3 <3
lollikit
lollikit
Zenbu

Number of posts : 65
Transforms into : A Bubble
Registration date : 2013-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post By Highlander. 07/04/13, 10:51 am

Second one should be metal I would say. But in the interests of comfort and weight I would use craft foam.

The first one would need a closer look. There are two layers, the inner is leather or cloth to stop it rubbing on your neck. the second looks like maybe metal. If you got thin enough sheet metal there would be some flex in it. I would still do it as two halves connected by a hinge. The inner layer will be protect the neck from the rivets. Then you need to make a buckle that looks like the front and either have a tight spring clip, or a spring loaded clip with a hole in it. A matching bump on the band will fit in the clip when you insert it, and lift the clip and it comes out.
Highlander
Highlander
dark CHii

Number of posts : 4033
Transforms into : This stylish saffron shirt.
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Back to top Go down
http://skydrive.live.com/#cid=23D41AFD1F51E1F4

Post By Pura. 07/04/13, 11:05 am

Metal wouldn't be an easy material to work with or get a hold of though. That's like saying swords should be metal, haha. If you get a spray paint that looks like metal it works just as well. Pete's Emporium in Porirua have a really good spray paint that's shiny metal silver and you can get a small can for only $2, haha.
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post By azeria. 07/04/13, 11:07 am

You can also get rub in buff paint which gives a good metal look.
Maybe try Craft Foam and then build the rounded edges up in paper mache or paper clay? Or something similar.
azeria
azeria
ACB Queen '10

Number of posts : 3226
Transforms into : Rinatron
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down
http://azeriacosplay.tumblr.com/

Post By Highlander. 07/04/13, 11:41 am

If the metal is thin enough then it would actually be easier to work than almost anything else you could think of. The only problem is you don't want to buy a whole sheet. So you may have to ask if they do offcuts, of if there is a wide enough packing band (and can you only buy one of them?), or go around the engineering firms and ask if they have anything they can cut a band off and sell.

Working it would be as easy as just rolling it. This is why you want it very thin. Then cut it at the back if you want to hinge it. Hinges and rivets are cheap as chips at any hardware store. The buckle at the front may be more of a problem.

Actually second thought, if you do a hinge at the back, with a pin you can just pull out, then the build the buckle at the front out of clay? But then it only opens at one point.

Anyway metal requires no painting, sealing, sanding, etc. Just a little gentle bending. Faster and easier than almost anything else.
Highlander
Highlander
dark CHii

Back to top Go down

Post By thewolfsbane. 07/04/13, 04:17 pm

I helped a friend make a collar similar to the top one (but I can not remember for the life of me who he was cosplaying but I will find out!). What I did was went into a sports shop and bought a relatively cheap heart beat sensor with a basic screen. He took the bands off and fastened his own fabric around it. He also attached some plastic around the rims such as the picture. And wallah! Collar.

^-^ hope this helps.
thewolfsbane
thewolfsbane
Banana

Number of posts : 109
Transforms into : a dumb zombie
Registration date : 2013-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post By Highlander. 07/04/13, 05:33 pm

I guess looking back at the specific scene where they attach it would help. It may even be a plastic band.
Highlander
Highlander
dark CHii

Back to top Go down

Post By thewolfsbane. 08/04/13, 12:44 am

I believe, because there was already slots on either side of the watch where the original strap of the watch fed through, he detached that, got his own fabric, fed it through to the length he needed and I am unsure as to how he attached the plastic, but I will find out. :)
thewolfsbane
thewolfsbane
Banana

Number of posts : 109
Transforms into : a dumb zombie
Registration date : 2013-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post By Toshiya. 11/04/13, 11:06 am

Oh gosh thank you for all the replies! Haven't been able to reply because of school and didn't expect to get a lot of replies :) I'll give some of them a try and see how they'll turn out - so much help! Thank you!!
Toshiya
Toshiya
Unexplanatory

Number of posts : 36
Transforms into : A lil shota boy
Registration date : 2013-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content