Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hello from Los Angeles, CA USA

Go to page : Previous  1, 2
View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Re: Hello from Los Angeles, CA USA
Post By EternalOutsider. 07/01/13, 07:46 pm

Welcome. Very Happy
NZ on the whole is a nice place to live. Creative work can be a bit thin on the ground though sad

Also there are only a fraction of the geek-out opportunities you lucky guys/galls enjoy in the states. NZ's #1 major problem, no critical mass.

EternalOutsider
EternalOutsider
Tophat

Number of posts : 146
Transforms into : David Xanatos
Registration date : 2012-09-29

Hello from Los Angeles, CA USA - Page 2 Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Chibibubbleninja. 07/01/13, 09:48 pm

Pura wrote:
As for Earthquakes, Wellington is ride on the middle of two plates, haha. We get a few earthquakes (all small) but everyone was expecting the massive one to hit here, but it actually hit Christchurch two years ago and almost flattened the city, and they are still trying to re-build. But because of that every building in Wellington had to be examined, and at risk buildings have had to be strengthened or pulled down - heaps of buildings have orange or red stickers on them saying that they are at risk, and heaps are currently on the list to be pulled down. So wellington is getting safer. And to be honest, I don't think you have to worry too much about Tsunamis, sure we're right next to the ocean, but most of the suburbs are build on hills, so tsunamis wouldn't reach where I live, haha. (The city is flat and right next to water, but most of the immediately close suburbs are on hills).

As for the film industry we really only have Weta Workshop, which of course made LotR and The Hobbit, but it's extremely hard to work there and they only take New Zealand workers unless it's a skill no one in NZ has.

The government always pisses me off, and the Student Loan and benefits systems makes you want to kill yourself (I'm still not being given my course related costs money and my course starts in a week and i need to buy my equipment, damnit!), but hey, what can you do.

And I'm a native NZ. I'm so native I've never left the country and I want to leave right now, haha. But I can't cause of education and no money to travel ): Okay, the Maori people are the real natives, but they make up about 14-15% of the population, German/England ships discovered NZ, and colonised the place in the 1800's, and so we're mostly european new zealanders, and then maori and pacificans are the next big ethnicity and more and more asians are moving to nz too, especially in Auckland.

About the safe as a whole thing without the military being here ... Well, the military has really no part of my life or keeping NZ safe ... We're just safe in general. We're so far away from anywhere that there is no threat from anywhere, so I consider us safe as a whole even if we didn't have a military Razz

And nope, no nuclear power plants, we just make good use of the sugar honey iced tea loads of wind wellington gets, lol. I can see windmill plants from my house xDD

(Also, CNZ has a creative way of blocking out swear words, as you might have noticed with the ice tea thing Razz )

Thanks for all the info :)
Also I was wondering about the "sugar honey ice tea" -love it!

Chibibubbleninja
Pinky

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post By Paul. 09/01/13, 12:24 pm

Hi there! Welcome to CNZ Smile

I guess NZ is a good place to live. I never lived anywhere else but I get pretty annoyed that so many of things I want can't be bought here or are really expensive here.

Make sure you take good advantage of all the fabric stores on East 9th Street before you come here Smile NZ lacks the convenience of those kind of places.

I have been to AX the last two times and brought tickets to go again this year, its so good I don't want to miss it. I might have already seen you there.

AX compared to conventions here...
The big conventions here are not Anime specific, instead 'multi genre' so you get a lot less cosplayers than you find at AX (or any Anime specific convention). Here we almost all know each other, which is quite nice. Though I found the people at AX friendly and easy to talk to. The huge space at AX is really nice to wander around all day taking photos. So big with so much happening it never gets boring, even after 4 days Smile
I don't really know how to describe the differences but I don't have bad memories from any convention I've been to, I always had a good time.

~ I guess I'll see you later this year then.
Paul
Paul
Almighty

Number of posts : 395
Transforms into : Pokemon Trainer
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Back to top Go down
http://www.oldvcr.tv

Post By Ariel_C. 09/01/13, 09:21 pm

hello

im new here, but welcome!
new zealand is a very beautiful country , im enjoying it
Ariel_C
Ariel_C
Soldier A

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post By Chibibubbleninja. 09/01/13, 09:51 pm

Thank you everyone. It is good to know that most of you make the trip to AX too.
I hope to see whoever comes out this year!

Chibibubbleninja
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post By Suixelo. 10/01/13, 05:44 pm

Um can we like, swap places?? Hahaha I am going through such a CA withdrawl recently, I miss LA so so much =[ I used to be an aspiring actress but now I've switched to focus on my singing. I went to LA in July 2011 to perform and compete in a world championship event but I have been there several times before. Just rubbing shoulders with industry professionals got me itching to get back there as soon as I can! San Francisco is and always will be my favourite city in the world though, I just adored it there, I never wanted to leave!

Well, everyone has already covered the cosplay part, it's smaller, more together, less choice of materials and higher costs etc. But it's so awesome to cosplay here, everyone is so lovely and supportive and SO helpful. The award winners from the contests have all been super helpful to me when I have asked for advice or just needed to know how to do something. Seeing people improve is amazing, since the scene is smaller, there is more chance to notice individuals improve!

If you're interested in acting, Wellington would be great for you but South Island not so much. There's certainly a lot of work in NZ for actors and the quality of NZ made TV shows is definitely shooting up! I have many friends who have worked ongoing on shows both NZ made and US made, Power Rangers films in NZ as well as shows such as Spartacus. We are a very popular location for shooting, so it's great for the actors here to get experience on US made shows as well as NZ made.

But definitely try and do your own thing, NZ is very accepting of low budget and independent films and shorts. Looking forward to seeing what you have in store!
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3569
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post By Chibibubbleninja. 10/01/13, 09:51 pm

Suixelo wrote:
Um can we like, swap places?? Hahaha I am going through such a CA withdrawl recently, I miss LA so so much =[ I used to be an aspiring actress but now I've switched to focus on my singing. I went to LA in July 2011 to perform and compete in a world championship event but I have been there several times before. Just rubbing shoulders with industry professionals got me itching to get back there as soon as I can! San Francisco is and always will be my favourite city in the world though, I just adored it there, I never wanted to leave!

Well, everyone has already covered the cosplay part, it's smaller, more together, less choice of materials and higher costs etc. But it's so awesome to cosplay here, everyone is so lovely and supportive and SO helpful. The award winners from the contests have all been super helpful to me when I have asked for advice or just needed to know how to do something. Seeing people improve is amazing, since the scene is smaller, there is more chance to notice individuals improve!

If you're interested in acting, Wellington would be great for you but South Island not so much. There's certainly a lot of work in NZ for actors and the quality of NZ made TV shows is definitely shooting up! I have many friends who have worked ongoing on shows both NZ made and US made, Power Rangers films in NZ as well as shows such as Spartacus. We are a very popular location for shooting, so it's great for the actors here to get experience on US made shows as well as NZ made.

But definitely try and do your own thing, NZ is very accepting of low budget and independent films and shorts. Looking forward to seeing what you have in store!

HAHAHA! Yeah just for a few months :) I was in the World Championship of performing arts in like 2005-2006. That is what got me from Michigan to LA. I have been here 7 1/2 years and I have not been to San Francisco yet. Something I should do :)

Good to hear there is some acting going on it NZ. I figured with the more movies and shows that seemed to be filmed there that the amount of work available would be more as well.
Can you recommend any groups in NZ to talk about acting with. Just want to connect with a few more people to see what it is all about.

I would love to do my own film in NZ. I have been working on a feature script and I just see it being done there :) Right now I am working on my first short production with this great acting company.

If you are ever planning on being out in LA let me know! And I will try to keep everyone posted if I venture out there :)

Chibibubbleninja
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post By Pura. 11/01/13, 12:46 am

Chibibubbleninja wrote:
Thank you everyone. It is good to know that most of you make the trip to AX too.

Haha, I wouldn't say most of us make the trip, only about five people out of several hundred xDD. It costs a few thousand just to fly and stay there and most of us are students, so very poor Razz

Another thing with the film industry is that companies believe a lot in working for free P: And because it's hard to get work in the industry most people are really happy to do stuff for free. A lot of people at Weta don't get paid, unfortunately. The main film industry is in Wellington, but that's pretty much only Weta. I'm not sure about what places are in Auckland, but most NZ made tv shows are produced up in Auckland.
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post By Highlander. 11/01/13, 03:15 am

Chibibubbleninja wrote:
Suixelo wrote:
If you're interested in acting, Wellington would be great for you but South Island not so much.

Pura wrote:

Haha, I wouldn't say most of us make the trip, only about five people out of several hundred xDD. It costs a few thousand just to fly and stay there and most of us are students, so very poor Razz

Another thing with the film industry is that companies believe a lot in working for free P: And because it's hard to get work in the industry most people are really happy to do stuff for free. A lot of people at Weta don't get paid, unfortunately. The main film industry is in Wellington, but that's pretty much only Weta. I'm not sure about what places are in Auckland, but most NZ made tv shows are produced up in Auckland.

1) It's up to six of us going to AX LA that we know about now. (Not quite most of CNZ, yet.) And then there are the people who go to Dragon Con every year.

2) Christchurch has a thriving children's TV industry, in the well equipped Tim Gunn studios. (Odd fella, but ...). And not ZZZ grade crap like power rangers, but like saturday/sunday morning shows with kids. "What now" has been famous for decades, and is where a lot of now famous people started off. (World famous in NZ anyway.)

3) There is always the Bollywood movies too, often shot in the south island. So how do you feel about dancing?

4) Accepting of low budget, as long as you don't want any gaurentee of making your money back. Same as most of the world, some do very well, others not so much. Many survive of NZOnAir funding.

If Temurea Morrision makes another con appearance then ask him for advice! (Hope I spelt his name right.)
Highlander
Highlander
dark CHii

Number of posts : 4033
Transforms into : This stylish saffron shirt.
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Back to top Go down
http://skydrive.live.com/#cid=23D41AFD1F51E1F4

Post By Chibibubbleninja. 11/01/13, 03:45 am

Pura wrote:
Chibibubbleninja wrote:

Well I do not mind working for free as long as I can bring in income else were :) Some of the best projects seem to be done for free....at least that is what I have found not being on many paid productions as a main character yet :)
But thank you for the feedback!

Chibibubbleninja
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post By Chibibubbleninja. 11/01/13, 03:49 am

Highlander wrote:

1) It's up to six of us going to AX LA that we know about now. (Not quite most of CNZ, yet.) And then there are the people who go to Dragon Con every year.

2) Christchurch has a thriving children's TV industry, in the well equipped Tim Gunn studios. (Odd fella, but ...). And not ZZZ grade crap like power rangers, but like saturday/sunday morning shows with kids. "What now" has been famous for decades, and is where a lot of now famous people started off. (World famous in NZ anyway.)

3) There is always the Bollywood movies too, often shot in the south island. So how do you feel about dancing?

4) Accepting of low budget, as long as you don't want any gaurentee of making your money back. Same as most of the world, some do very well, others not so much. Many survive of NZOnAir funding.

If Temurea Morrision makes another con appearance then ask him for advice! (Hope I spelt his name right.)

Well I hope to be able to see whomever comes to AX this year. I know tickets are EXPENSIVE Razz

Not sure I am coordinated enough to dance to save my live- although it would be fun as I always get a kick out of Bollywood type movies Razz

Like I said I do not mind low budget if I am able to afford it :) And I hope to maybe be able to produce my own work as well. :)

PS. Thanks for the Pm with more info thumbsup

Chibibubbleninja
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post By Pura. 11/01/13, 05:42 am

Yeah, I'd definitely work for free for that kind of stuff xDD As long as I got money in from somewhere, haha. You may not get paid but it's all really good experience (:
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content