Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I need some help with my first costume

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
I need some help with my first costume
Post By underdog1. 13/05/12, 06:09 pm

I have decided to make a Gordon Freeman costume (the HEV suit, not the lab coat). I can easily do the gray cloth by just wearing gray clothing, but I'd like the armour parts to, at the very least, not look like they've been made out of flimsy cardboard.

I found software called Pepakura, which basically takes a 3D model, such as a Spartan Helmet, and flattens it out into lots of 2D pieces of paper you stick together. The site has the HEV armour, but I just need to find a way to reinforce it. I'm not going to use fiberglass, and I only want the armour to hold its shape. The most damage it'll need to take is probably lightly bumping into someone.

If there are no reinforcing methods available, can someone at least help me on how to make something like this: http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files/costumes/738/9714/IMG_0146.jpg

I also saw a picture of someone who made a gordon freeman costume out of nothing but duct tape and cardboard: http://www.ryansgoblog.com/images/freeman_and_freeman.jpg

If you could help out a noob, that'd be appreciated.

underdog1
underdog1
Pinky

Number of posts : 18
Transforms into : A Fine Leather Jacket
Registration date : 2010-12-06

I need some help with my first costume Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: I need some help with my first costume
Post By Mischa. 14/05/12, 12:46 am

http://www.therpf.com/f24/pepakura-alternatives-fiberglass-85487/
Mischa
Mischa
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1045
Transforms into : GRIMDARK
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Back to top Go down
http://www.doublestitch.co.nz

Post By jpwise. 14/05/12, 12:49 am

Depends on how much you want to spend. You could use Wonderflex but that'll cost a bit for large areas.

My best thought would be if you're doing it on the cheap possible try painting several layers of pva glue onto it after it's in the shape you want (you may need to put it over a dummy or something tho keep the shape). That should at least give it some basic strength. Definitely worth using at least a light card for the base though.

You could also use duct tape on the inside edge to help re-enforce it aswell if you don't want it visible.

Someone else can probably offer some other ideas aswell.

Edit: LOL - and beaten to the reply. Check Mischas link. Razz
jpwise
jpwise
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down
http://gallery.of.geek.nz

Post By Static. 14/05/12, 01:07 am

A common method for reinforcing pep armour is to coat it in resin - a couple of coats on the outside, and then something stronger on the reverse. Normally, you'd use resin + fibreglass cloth in the inside, but as you aren't going to be using that, you could try a quick and super dirty method and just use (good quality) duct tape! Or, print/cut the pep file twice - a double layer of card would certainly be stronger than just one. I've also seen people use strips of cardboard and just hot glue it inside - if you're not fussed on having it too durable, that would probably do the trick :)

Edit: Duh, I forgot the obvious - you can paper mache the hell out of it!
Static
Static
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3584
Transforms into : HULKSMASH
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down
http://www.little-noise.com

Post By Pura. 14/05/12, 03:14 am

Like Static edited in, you could make the base out of thick card and then just paper mache it until it's good Razz
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post By underdog1. 14/05/12, 10:34 am

Pura wrote:
Like Static edited in, you could make the base out of thick card and then just paper mache it until it's good Razz

Today, I thought maybe I could use the pepakura model to make the armour out of bendble wire mesh (chicken wire?), and then paper mache lots of layers on the outside, finish i by smoothing it. Would this work, or would it crack easily? I mean, using ire, I could make the costume a tight fit, and it would be less likely to break. Plausible?
underdog1
underdog1
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post By Kicho. 14/05/12, 12:24 pm

You can try using EVA foam (craft foam). You should be able to get a roll at a reasonable price at Para Rubber. ^^

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c51gUa8VW-k
Kicho
Kicho
seXAH <3

Number of posts : 91
Transforms into : Kichozilla
Registration date : 2009-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post By Pura. 14/05/12, 12:26 pm

I think cardboard would work just as well Razz And wire pokes you and it's not terribly easy to mould into shape without getting scratches all over your hands Razz I s'pose it depends how many surfaces the pattern has Razz
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post By underdog1. 14/05/12, 02:16 pm

Kicho wrote:
You can try using EVA foam (craft foam). You should be able to get a roll at a reasonable price at Para Rubber. ^^

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c51gUa8VW-k

This method looks good, I'll try that. Thanks for your help. :byebye:
underdog1
underdog1
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 14/05/12, 03:38 pm

I wouldn't use wire - it's too soft to get a really good shape, especially for armour, and IMO is best used as a reinforcing agent. I would say just stick to cardboard and paper mache - just be careful that your card isn't so light that it will warp when it gets wet with the glue! :) EVA foam is also good, and there is so much material online for how to use it for armour it's just silly. Good luck!
Static
Static
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By underdog1. 14/05/12, 04:19 pm

Ok, so from the videos, I found that you need to:
print off the pepakura pieces
attach them with hot glue, so that they can be melted apart in the case of mistakes
coat the outside with fiberglass/polyester resin
cover the inside with fiberglass cloth, then coat with resin
heat the dried part so it can be bent slightly to your liking
sand down the sharp fiberglass edges
cover the pieces with something (the video says 'bondo') to prepare them for painting
spray or hand-paint the parts with your desired colour, and 'automotive enamel' for varnishing

This is for making high-quality stuff. It looks relatively simple, so I'm taking back my previous statement about not using fiberglass. I have 2 questions:

How much will all the necessary supplies cost in total, roughly?
Am I missing out some super-important, incredibly hard part to making this?

If this proves to cost a fortune, or be too difficult for someone like me, I'll just use cardboard or foam and get creative.
underdog1
underdog1
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post By Kicho. 14/05/12, 04:35 pm

I think that specific tutorial was meant for armour suits that are strong enough to feel like something authentic. However if you just want the look, you can skip those resin steps and just seal the foam (using 2 parts PVA and 1 part water). Then paint it (apparently spray paint cracks, so try enamel paint).

Here is a quick guide on craft foam: http://windofthestars.com/cosplays/craftfoam.html

Some other people on Cosplay.com have discussed Bondo substitutes, if you want to strengthen the foam: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=204827

When buying eva/ craft foam, make sure that the thickness is right (probably no thinner than 3mm) and make sure it isn't too soft or it won't stay in shape when you heat it. :)

I've had a look at the prices, EVA foam at the Para Rubber company used to be $12 per roll, but I'm not sure if they still stock it at the same price. There's a sale on at Supercheap Auto for a brand of spray enamel paint called Power Plus for $12.
Kicho
Kicho
seXAH <3

Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 14/05/12, 04:35 pm

Fibreglass and supplies aren't actually all that expensive - BUT you HAVE to make sure you use proper safety equipment! Invest in a good quality respirator (about $40) and cartridges to filter organic vapours (more $$). Bborg5 on TradeMe is NZ Fibreglass Supply, and they are a really nicely priced place. Polyester resin is cheaper than epoxy, but it is a whole lot less pleasant to work with, and I suspect it may be an inferior option. Last time I bought 2kg of resin (this is an awful lot! I did a lot of casting with it as well as fg stuff since I had it on hand) and 2m of fg cloth, I spent about $50, including freight to Wellington from Auckland.

Fibreglassing is pretty straightforward once you start, just stinky :) And there is a hell of a lot of sanding involved. The main thing you need is patience! I would thoroughly recommend not buying anything until you've got your pep work all done and to your liking, because getting that stage as perfect as you can will save a lot of work later. Do try some cheaper/easier methods before going down the fg route though - if paper mache works for you, there's nothing wrong with that! (I love paper mache Very Happy) I think it's also wise to get comfortable with the physical making of stuff first, and nailing the cheaper/easier methods before stepping it up to more complex techniques. I speak from bitter experience :/

I personally have never heard of people using hot glue to assemble pep...I see the logic, but I don't think it's the best choice. I also would say probably skip the fibreglass cloth on the outside, and just use it on the inside - this will give you a smoother outer finish and mean less sanding later on :) And seriously. There is so much goddamn sanding. And DON'T BREATH IN THE DUST - do it in a well ventilated area, with a vacuum going if possible to catch as much dust as you can.

Have a read of therpf.com - there is a huge amount of information there for all kinds of projects!
Static
Static
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By underdog1. 14/05/12, 04:54 pm

I was just worried that foam would look horrible and bend too easily, but I think I'll go for that approach. I'll just print the pepakura files and use them as templates. I guess trying to do the whole fiberglass thing would be too much for a first-timer. It's only orange and grey armour anyway.

Well, if anyone's attending Armageddon at Christchurch, look out for Dr. Gordon Freeman, PhD in theoretical physics with a minor in alien-killing.
underdog1
underdog1
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post By Kicho. 15/05/12, 09:07 am

Craft/ EVA foam isn't normal foam, it is a high-density foam that can be bent but does not tend to bend on its own like fabric. It has become so popular among cosplayers that Chinese auction sites market the foam as cosplay material. :)

This realistic looking Gabranth was made mainly from craft foam.

Don't hesitate to post pictures of your progress. :)
Kicho
Kicho
seXAH <3

Back to top Go down

Post By underdog1. 19/05/12, 01:39 pm

One more thing, are there any shops in Christchurch that sell craft/EVA foam? I checked Lincraft at the Bush Inn Centre, and they said they didn't have any. They also said that Para Rubber may sell the stuff, but they got earthquake damage (but still have an online site).

Is it cheaper to order online, or what sort of stores sell the foam used in cosplay? Does it come in orange, grey and black, as they are the colours that I need.

I simply don't know what places sell the stuff, as this costume is my very first.
underdog1
underdog1
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post By Kicho. 19/05/12, 01:43 pm

I have only seen A4 sheets at Warehouse Stationary myself, but it might not be big enough for the costume you wanted to make. Here are some threads where other people have discussed where they've found some:

http://forum.cosplay.co.nz/t10152p1-craft-foam-sheets

Apparently Office Products Depot used to sell them, I'm not sure if they still do. People used to sell them on Trademe, but I haven't seen them for sale as of late.
Kicho
Kicho
seXAH <3

Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 20/05/12, 05:47 am

You can buy it by the roll from Nz Rubber and Foam: http://nzrubberandfoam.co.nz/catalog/2-foam-sheets/34-eva-foam-rolls

It comes in grey or black from these guys, so to get the orange you will need to paint it. EVA does take paint quite well once it's been sealed; you usually do that with dilute PVA glue :)
Static
Static
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By underdog1. 20/05/12, 06:22 am

Static wrote:
You can buy it by the roll from Nz Rubber and Foam: http://nzrubberandfoam.co.nz/catalog/2-foam-sheets/34-eva-foam-rolls

It comes in grey or black from these guys, so to get the orange you will need to paint it. EVA does take paint quite well once it's been sealed; you usually do that with dilute PVA glue :)

The website doesn't state any prices; you have to send a request. Does that sign me into any kind of contract, or will it take a long time for a reply?
underdog1
underdog1
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 20/05/12, 04:49 pm

I haven't actually ordered from them before; I just know other cosplayers have! I wouldn't say so - but the best thing to do would be to call them and ask :)
Static
Static
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Mischa. 21/05/12, 02:09 am

No, it just means they email you a price list.

Contracts require you...sign them ;) so don't worry - generally if a site doesn't have prices online it's because they change often, or they want to make contact with you before you buy. TopMark works the same way.

You can find foam in black and grey no problem - you will probably need to paint the orange though.
Mischa
Mischa
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1045
Transforms into : GRIMDARK
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Back to top Go down
http://www.doublestitch.co.nz

Post By underdog1. 11/06/12, 04:33 pm

I have one final question before I begin:

What is the best way to seal foam for painting over? I found an old camping mat with enough material to make the whole costume, so I just need a way to seal it once I cut the pieces. I read that the best way is with watered-down PVA glue (just plaster the whole thing), but are there any miracle methods that a newcomer like me have yet to discover?
underdog1
underdog1
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post By Kicho. 12/06/12, 05:04 am

I have heard people who swear by Mod Podge. They sell them at art stores and on Trademe. :)

Oh, and regarding stiffening the foam, I've read that some people glue a piece of fabric on the back.
Kicho
Kicho
seXAH <3

Back to top Go down

Post By cosplay2012. 26/06/12, 01:29 pm

Pura wrote:
I think cardboard would work just as well Razz And wire pokes you and it's not terribly easy to mould into shape without getting scratches all over your hands Razz I s'pose it depends how many surfaces the pattern has Razz

COuldn't agree more.I like you profile pictures.It looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cosplay2012
-banned-

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-06-02

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Post By cosplay2012. 27/06/12, 02:06 pm

Pura wrote:

I like your cosplay profile

cosplay2012
-banned-

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2012-06-02

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content