Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Anime Merchandise! (Possible Local Store For Christchurch)

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Post By Shellyskittles. 08/01/12, 07:46 am

(I didn't know where to put this, but i put it in Marketplace)

Hello all,

I'am starting to think seriously about opening a little Anime Merchandise selling account on Trade Me when I turn 18 which is soon. Then possibly going into the Local market (Which i think there is no shops in Christchurch that focus on Anime/manga only, so hopefully i won't have any competitions)

Ok, so I know there is one guy on there selling ton's of anime gears, I'am wishing to undercut him for his products to supply a decent value for merchandise's in New Zealand (National). I will not be making much profit when I first start out from my calculations that i have done, I would be just getting one bulk of things such as a Naruto bag or something and sell them, But the catch is using the profit i make, With the profits i'am wishing to grow and purchase more bulks of other wanted anime items, Therefore i will keep using this cycle. But anyways, I'am wishing to offer the cheapest in Christchurch and willing to go 3$ lower than the current bag's on Trade Me (As an example) I know it's not much of an discount but an good quality Anime bag at 20$ each is consider to be cheap. But the thing is i need to take that it will take time to sell products when your starting off with a small stock.

I will probably trial this for a year or so after March, (On the internet). When I finish school I'am hopping to have make enough money to pay an annum to loan a shop (Which I probably won't till the year after, or not if i decide it won't be much of an income to keep the store running) and also have enough money to buy stock to fill up the store.

Anyway's the reason why I'am seriously considering opening a Local store, Is mainly because it's my favorite all time hobby, And lets put this out there I honestly do not care much about the money, but it is needed to kick this off and it may make me sound greedy at times, but i'am not wanting to go into this to make a quick buck or anything, but I'am wanting to supply merchandises to the local community, make my customers happy and do what I love as a job I will be a happy man. I know this may sound like a teenager dream, But my heart is 100% straight and i'am seriously thinking about it but it will need to be a hugely amount of support from the Otaku community, Which i hope, because the community will be the ones to keep this afloat.

If anyone has any tips or advice's selling merchandise please let me know, or help me out and guide me to directions to the best area's to purchase a bulk to sell. (I have researched and found the manufacturer's of some merchandises but I'am willing to check out the one's you know off) Or if you are following the same dreams, maybe we can merg? I don't know but it will be just me while I trail, as I do not want to let anyone down.

Anyway's please tell me your opinion's i would gladly answer all questions too.

For the note, this will probably be only a Anime Merchandise store at first, till i can afford and get a licence to resell Anime and Manga products from the publisher's company.

Shellyskittles
Unexplanatory

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2011-08-24

Anime Merchandise! (Possible Local Store For Christchurch) Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: Anime Merchandise! (Possible Local Store For Christchurch)
Post By Myobi. 11/01/12, 01:58 pm

My first question would be where you are going to source your products from and what exactly you'd be selling? It's very tough to find a wholsaler for anime things that are actually affordable, let alone ones that people would actually want.

But if you do, you'd be set : )
Myobi
Myobi
Zenbu

Number of posts : 67
Transforms into : CHOCOLATE MILK.
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post By PinkGoggles. 12/01/12, 04:40 am

It really is tough to start a service and you'd have to be pretty dedicated and have a lot of funds just to start up.
Most official anime goods cost a ton, even at wholesale prices.

The ones on trademe are mostly bootlegs and thus, those are much easier to get hold of and sell cheaply but I doubt anyone would want fake merch. I've done similar things I guess, buying for various people but I guess I was more of a proxy or something rather than a shop but you get all sorts of customers; order and bail etc and you will need to be ready to cover those types of loses 'cause they're far too common.

Another point to consider is that you'd be buying bulk of a variety of different things; funds for that won't be easy.

BUT in optimism, I really hope it works out. Cheap merchandise would be so great (TT^TT)b
PinkGoggles
PinkGoggles
Ultimatum

Number of posts : 245
Transforms into : Money. Lots of money.
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down
http://scared-forever.deviantart.com/

Post By iwuvanime. 12/01/12, 10:07 am

Like the person above said there are a lot of people who sell bootlegs (grrrrrrrrr).

If you were seriously considering it and you could find a decent source you should also look at how much it would cost for people to import it from overseas to help find a price base.
For example I buy most of my stuff from HobbyLink Japan but if I find things on trademe (that are legit) that are a little bit more expensive I will buy the more expensive one to support local sellers and also because it means I will probably get the item sooner XD

I wish you luck though.
iwuvanime
iwuvanime
paoupu fruit

Number of posts : 448
Transforms into : Lady Fluffalups, Super Villaness Extraordinaire
Registration date : 2008-12-16

Back to top Go down
http://Www.iwuvanime.tumblr.com

Post By Highlander. 14/01/12, 08:20 am

I think it was John from Ashburton A3 that was going to start one, and claimed to have the merchandise contacts. That was a while ago, but he may still be interested. He does have business experience/connections. I guess my advice to him applies.

I would start off via the nets, and in a small market like ChCh I would keep the nets after establishing a store. But it's going to be pretty hard to justify a store. The advantage of nets is it can be run out of home, ie., cheaper, as well as keeping study or day job income.
I would consider making it cheap enough to attract volume. And to do custom orders for people. Basically the chances of a small shop having what people want in stock at reasonable prices are limited. But I'm not sure if there is anyone in NZ doing custom orders, especially cheaply. If a collector can save time and effort, as well as risk, both in that you take on the risk, and you presumably know who the better suppliers are. Especially if you cover manga/manwha/anime in different languages, wigs, costumes, act as agents for commissions, props/accessories, lolita, and merchandise, a one stop shop. Remember you need to be able to sustain your income, so in the end anything you can sell .... But remember that having stock costs money so you must be able to sell through all the stock. So I really don't think buying too many of only one item at first will help you get there. Selling through may take too long, if there is enough demand for a single item. And meanwhile you have spent your money, and that costs. You really do need to make a significant amount on each item, or turn over a very large volume. You have to cover your time, and your money, expansion plans, non-paying customers, refunds, and shipping, thief (in a physical shop), power, stationery, nets, accountant, taxes, import duties, ... etc. You probably need to think minimum of 30% but commonly up to 100% mark up (Often varies by type of merchanidise). At some point when you think your business model is working you probably have to get a loan, and sink money from your day job into the business (bank requirement too) because I think using profit from stuff you sell will be a extremely slow way to expand. Also you risk being trapped into the trademe random merchandise model, and never being able to turn over the volume to carry a complete range of stock. And remember that there is a lot of competition in NZ already. (There was one manga shop in CHCH before the quake, but not in English!) Remember to do your customer research, including here and VCNZ, etc.
Highlander
Highlander
dark CHii

Number of posts : 4033
Transforms into : This stylish saffron shirt.
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Back to top Go down
http://skydrive.live.com/#cid=23D41AFD1F51E1F4

Post By Koemix. 15/01/12, 10:35 am

Best of luck with this, I may not live in christchurch,
but i can always refer people if you need it Very Happy
Koemix
Koemix
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 592
Transforms into : idek at this point
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post By rteest. 15/01/12, 12:35 pm

good luck man! If you sold shirts, i would buy the crap out of that stuff lol.. i need shirts so many shirtsssssssss whee
1 shirt, another shirt for trousers and one for a hat, and 2 more for socks.

how does one do shirts anyway? maybe you could setup your own shirt printing aswell id be interested in doing art for shirts and buying.... ok enough about the shirts!!!!!!!!!!!!! stare
rteest
rteest
Zenbu

Number of posts : 61
Transforms into : a lamp
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down
http://rteest.deviantart.com/

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosplay New Zealand :: Misc. :: Marketplace-