Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

[ACB10]Suggestion thread *ACB*

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
[ACB10]Suggestion thread *ACB*
Post By Duckeh. 27/07/10, 12:40 pm

So, for future reference, what worked and what didn't in your opinion?
Just state your opinion and I'll work to improve it next year!

A few of my major things to start focusing on next year-
Stage lights. {Ran out of time to make sure there was one to focus on people when they were on stage. } [ACB10]Suggestion thread *ACB* 116847

Advertising! {Hngh. This year kinda snuck up again.}

Ticket collection and buying tickets on night - I think I may make slips next year and set aside a table outside for people to fill them out on. And maybe a seperate door/table for pre-event tickets? I'm so sorry that this was so messy this year. [ACB10]Suggestion thread *ACB* 691595 But do you think this would be an improvement?

Earlier theme voting. {This would help a lot with everything.}

Constant slideshow on projector. I left my external with the images on it at home. >:

By no means do I think these are all the issues. These are just the ones that pop to mind, I'm not going to write my whole list of complaints here. D8 IT'S HUGE. I SUCK.

I'll be working on the website in a few weeks for my school project. So hopefully all information will be a lot clearer then, I get the impression I wasn't very clear with how to buy tickets etc this year.

Do you want food? Do you want a new venue? What was lacking? What did we have too much of?

Thank you all!

[ACB10]Suggestion thread *ACB* 3772

Last edited by Duckeh on 14/04/11, 05:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Duckeh
Duckeh
GOD of all things EPIC

Number of posts : 6842
Transforms into : YO BUTT.
Registration date : 2007-11-24

[ACB10]Suggestion thread *ACB* Vide
Back to top Go down
http://www.duckeh.com

Re: [ACB10]Suggestion thread *ACB*
Post By ai-scully. 27/07/10, 12:48 pm

Advertising wise, if you don't mind having teens, i could... advertise it at my school and a couple others next year XD
ai-scully
ai-scully
paoupu fruit

Number of posts : 425
Transforms into : Derp Rose
Registration date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down
http://shelbicarp.tumblr.com

Post By Duckeh. 27/07/10, 12:58 pm

ai-scully wrote:
Advertising wise, if you don't mind having teens, i could... advertise it at my school and a couple others next year XD
I am planning on putting the posters up on here for people to download and spread around~
Thank you for the offer. C:
Duckeh
Duckeh
GOD of all things EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By Rolly. 27/07/10, 01:03 pm

Venue wise - I reckon this year's venue was pretty sweet. And warm. And easy to get to. Nice and central! I wouldn't mind if you tried out a new venue, but I did like the free water offered! In regards to food, I knew about how Hyatt doesn't allow catering other than their own - which is bloody expensive. I think it was pretty cool without food - less mess to worry about getting on costumes, etc. Hopefully everyone would have had the sense to eat something inbetween DO to ACB. ;D
Oh, and it was cool that they had a dancefloor! Whoo moshpit!

Free water - I liked it. Razz Though it tasted a bit funny, which was probably just me. XD And maybe something temporary for people to mark their glasses? I don't know if this would become too much work though.

Tickets
- this didn't affect me much as I had pre-ordered my ticket. Just out of curiosity, who was number #1, 2 and 3? ;D

Stage lights - would have been awesome, as photos came out pretty dark with a regular digital camera. Though the other photos I took of people around the place was quite dark too... is it possible to have it slightly brighter, or a corner with better lighting for casual photos?

Decorations
- loved it. Really had the atmosphere going. Loved the little water well, it was so cute!

Seating - it might be a good idea to have a little more seating, but sitting on the floor was OK with me. I mean, the carpet was nice to sit on, I was content with that. And I assume the hotel people vacuum it everyday. xP

Issues with music - I heard from somewhere that people were helping themselves to the music being played without permission, which is pretty rude. Esp as the laptop was a personal belonging. Maybe you could stick a notice up near the tech stuff to tell people to leave it alone, and if they want requests they could go ask x person?

Overall - I really liked the ball this year! It was warm, and the venue was nice, the decorations really added to the touch and the atmosphere was real comfy and gave warmfuzzies. The atmosphere of people you know (or sorta knew) around you really made it way better than my high school ball. It was fun and the performances were really entertaining! I had a great night and was reluctant to leave~

And you Shannon, need to stop procrastinating and save yourself some stress when things start piling up near the date! <3 Do try to make it easier for yourself!

LET'S ALL HAVE TOGAS NEXT YEAR HURR HURR //BRICKED
Rolly
Rolly
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2918
Transforms into : a stylish shoe for the blind earthbender
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post By JVCA. 27/07/10, 01:04 pm

I think the order of the event was really good - it was very clear at each stage of the night what we were intended to do, and I really liked the variety of music.

The decorations were gorgeous, and there was a good balance of open space/stuff to look at.

(okay, that's feedback rather than suggestions, hahah)

Suggestions-wise - I don't think food is needed tbh. We had enough time to get dinner and get changed between ACB. The only problem was that we were quite tired by the end of the night (but I think that might be because I'd had four hours of sleep, Steph had been selling stuff all day and Alex has chronic fatigue, lol).
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Number of posts : 7122
Transforms into : a crotchety old woman
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down
http://www.jvca.net.nz

Post By fleyer. 27/07/10, 01:05 pm

Theme was pretty I think you did a brilliant job!
Venue was nice too being close and all.

I would say have two doors open for tickets as it got pretty crowded and tickets and getting in was pretty hard.

That's my only complaint though cause it was totally awesome, props to organisers 8D
fleyer
fleyer
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2354
Transforms into : Supernanny...
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down
http://fleyer.deviantart.com/

Post By deceptivemagick. 27/07/10, 01:20 pm

I think the ball ran REALLY well, there were only a few hiccups and they were very minor and did not detract from any enjoyment, it was very clear that a lot of work went into the ball, as far as making it look gorgeous, be very inviting and was entertaining for everyone

the performances as well were fantastic [ACB10]Suggestion thread *ACB* 65988

i would also like to endeavour to get more hamilton cosplayers going next year
deceptivemagick
deceptivemagick
lucky*

Number of posts : 1115
Transforms into : an epic fire breathing dragon
Registration date : 2009-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post By KotoneVersus. 27/07/10, 01:22 pm

It would have been nice to have an area to go outside to get a breath of fresh air. All the dancing was makin' me SWEATY.
KotoneVersus
KotoneVersus
noodletastic

Number of posts : 1712
Transforms into : Harley Quinn
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/rani.carley

Post By Suixelo. 27/07/10, 01:39 pm

You did an amazing job this year, honestly. The few hiccups we understood. But uh, I think all the issues I had have already been brought up tbh. I loved the props and having proper lighting was so cool. It's a shame about the stage lighting, but hey, next year!

I don't think we need food tbh, although water is a must. It was very difficult with the glasses though and most people had to keep getting new ones. I very much prefer the central location, as I'm sure other DO-goers did, as it is easy to get to from the event (well duh XD). Maybe you could have a sort of 'backstage' area or a roped across area where the laptop etc. could be so people know where they can and can't go. The area for bags was great though, so we didn't have them all over the place. Uhh and that is all I can think of right now.
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3569
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post By Duckeh. 27/07/10, 01:42 pm

Will take note of all that has been said. <3

A quick question, when do you think would be a good time to vote for the theme? I want to give enough time for people to make costumes to theme and me to be able to source everything, but I'm worried about doing it too soon will make people become bored of the idea?
Duckeh
Duckeh
GOD of all things EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By deceptivemagick. 27/07/10, 02:09 pm

about 1-2 months before the event?
deceptivemagick
deceptivemagick
lucky*

Number of posts : 1115
Transforms into : an epic fire breathing dragon
Registration date : 2009-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post By SockPanda. 27/07/10, 02:41 pm

Just a small point on the water- I think by the three-quarter (ish) mark of the ball that night, it had (almost) run out? Maybe just have somebody keep an eye out if the water cooler was running low (did the hotel allow you a refill? o_o) , 'cause I know a lot of us kept dehydrating ourselves and going back for more xP
SockPanda
SockPanda
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2913
Transforms into : Supersockpandamon
Registration date : 2008-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post By Duckeh. 27/07/10, 02:50 pm

SockPanda wrote:
Just a small point on the water- I think by the three-quarter (ish) mark of the ball that night, it had (almost) run out? Maybe just have somebody keep an eye out if the water cooler was running low (did the hotel allow you a refill? o_o) , 'cause I know a lot of us kept dehydrating ourselves and going back for more xP
They were refilling it all night~ They just neglected it for awhile and then we had to go tell them.
I do apologise! I didn't drink anything till after the event and didn't think it would be a problem since he was in every half hour it seemed. sigh
Duckeh
Duckeh
GOD of all things EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By Admin. 27/07/10, 02:59 pm

Let's see... if the ball is in late July.

And NZAE is in early May. And Welly and ChCh and late march/early april...

I'd say shortly before or after NZAE would be a good time for the theme. 8D maybe start voting at the beginning of may, and end it mid-may or late-may?
Admin
Admin
Winner of the Golden Gun Award

Number of posts : 2982
Transforms into : yo mama.

Back to top Go down
http://authenticsowilo.deviantart.com/

Post By JVCA. 27/07/10, 03:25 pm

Personally I think voting would be better in January. From an advertising perspective, we'd really want to start advertising a month or two before the event, not just deciding on the theme. /my two cents
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Back to top Go down

Post By seraphik. 27/07/10, 03:41 pm

mic stands!
seraphik
seraphik
transient mod of fury

Number of posts : 4598
Transforms into : a post-graduate
Registration date : 2007-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post By KotoneVersus. 27/07/10, 04:47 pm

seraphik wrote:
mic stands!

I wasn't good enough for you? ;______;
KotoneVersus
KotoneVersus
noodletastic

Number of posts : 1712
Transforms into : Harley Quinn
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/rani.carley

Post By Duckeh. 27/07/10, 05:43 pm

KotoneVersus wrote:
seraphik wrote:
mic stands!

I wasn't good enough for you? ;______;
ilold. I completely just didn't think about mic stands, and it's a really simple thing to get, just easily looked over when you're not accustomed to performing or anything. sigh

@JVCA- I'm of the same mind. orz It's more logical this way for us. But it seems like people get less enthusiastic when done like this. I suppose the whole advertising campaign would rev people up though in the months leading up. naughty
Duckeh
Duckeh
GOD of all things EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By JVCA. 28/07/10, 12:50 am

|D Compromise then? Theme voting at the start of April, and lasts for 2 weeks or something? That still gives us two months+ to advertise, but isn't quite as early.
JVCA
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 28/07/10, 10:29 am

I thought the whole event was incredibly successful! I'm really impressed - hiccups were minor, and I honestly didn't think anything was really bad. The stage lighting was a pain, but that's been covered; nothing major went wrong (that I could tell). I was a bit miffed to have to set up the photo area outside the main room, but it worked out really well - in my miffed-ness, I didn't think through the logistics of being in the main hall! It was actually a really good place, once I figured out which wall to use ;)

Suggestion: have a dedicated techie on hand all night. Supply them with beverages if they call, but make sure they're there to fix stuff, babysit stuff, and take care of the technical things. Maybe give them a free ticket and a feed? You may be able to get away without paying them, if someone's keen; I can't be the only one in the world who likes to have a job to do!

I think advertising a lot more, and earlier, would have been great. But in general, I thought it was fantastic - Ducks, you are amazing! :)
Static
Static
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3584
Transforms into : HULKSMASH
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down
http://www.little-noise.com

Post By Number-IX. 28/07/10, 01:11 pm

I think the ball was just brilliant this year :) The venue was great,
plzplzplz keep it at The Hyatt - easy for everyone to find, pretty
classy, and warm :) Free water was also good! I wish there was food but
after finding out The Hyatt don't really like people bringing their own,
i guess its okay. Maybe have snacks/lollies around? XD Thank you for having water also! We kept going through it pretty fast though, at one point as you said it hadn't been refilled for a while and had to ask staff to do it yourself but yeah. Kept having to get new glasses also, which was a bit.. Wasteful? XD I dunno how we could solve that though. Having personal glasses seems a bit lame/more potentially dangerous even? Uh i dunno >_>
Anyway, overall i was really impressed with the ball this year :) I dont think i have anything to really suggest.. XD Thank you so much, again!
Number-IX
Number-IX
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 593
Transforms into : Skuxatron
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/cthrnineiv

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content