Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Death Note! American Movie...?

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Post By carnione. 02/03/10, 10:23 am

Haven't found another topic with this so...

Death Note = FTW. American-version Live Action Film... maybe not so much.

So, is Death Note really going to be remade? I don't think its been confirmed yet... but its an interesting idea. Out of all the Shonen Jump series I can think of right now, Death Note probably has the best chance of actually being... good.

One problem though. Another rumour.

Some people on the interwebs have been talking about RUMOURS of Zac Effron playing Light Yagami. And Miley Cyrus as Misa-Misa.

What do you think of this?? o.O

EDIT: Another problem - it'd take a lot to impress me if they do film it as DN has lots of suspense and character development~ doubt it'd work in 2 hours.

Last edited by carnione on 27/01/11, 12:00 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : realised this didn't make any sense)
carnione
carnione
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Death Note! American Movie...? Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: Death Note! American Movie...?
Post By sakkaf. 02/03/10, 10:27 am

^ABSOLUTELY NO PLZ.

Edit: Sorry, didn't elaborate.

ABSOLUTELY NO to tween superstars.
sakkaf
sakkaf
marshmallow ninja

Number of posts : 926
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Back to top Go down
http://tinnyhouse.tumblr.com

Post By carnione. 02/03/10, 10:29 am

@sakkaf
XDD I know~ Death Note and HSM don't mix well
carnione
carnione
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By Lavi_x. 02/03/10, 10:33 am

Zac Efron is actually a good enough actor, he is able to do more than just cliche disney titles.
And he is also an anime fan too.
But this whole "Zac Efron as Light" thing came up because someone on the internet noticed a picture of him looked like Light. Nothing more than that.
And Miley Cyrus was tacked on to the "rumour" because she is also a disney channel star.

Its mostly trolling. >_>

EDIT: Oh and to your whole "A film isn't long enough for Death Note" statement. The Japanese have done it. It worked. So theres no real point in saying that.

Last edited by Lavi_x on 02/03/10, 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Lavi_x
Lavi_x
noodletastic

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2008-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post By Sonic Reducer. 02/03/10, 10:40 am

Its entirely trolling.. well minus the american death note part.

So far....a company has the rights to make the movie. Nothing more nothing less. Akira and Cowboy Bebop are progressing faster. Worry about them for now....actually no don't worry. Wait till they come out and form a biased opinion. Its what I do.
Sonic Reducer
Sonic Reducer
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 675
Transforms into : Your mother
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jesuschristpose

Post By Axelinn. 02/03/10, 10:44 am

When it all comes down to it, it's not Zac Efron playing Light that annoys me -- it's the huge folllowing that comes after him. Whether it be good or bad, it will get a lot of attention simply because he played in HSM.

Err, as I wrote on my LJ a while ago, here are my speculations as to what will happen:

1) Death Note will become just as mainstream as Naruto & Bleach in english-speaking countries, and I really don't want that to happen because Death Note is actually good. [And I kinda don't want the whole entire english speaking population knowing about it. The thought of random people yelling out obscure DN references without knowing what it is makes me cringe D:]

2) They'll do it horrendously wrong, [just like the Japanese one, and Dragonball Evolution D:] and everyone will fan-wank over it for years

3) Zac Efron will get the role and everyone will instantly hate it just because it's got him in it, just like a lot of people did with "17 Again" [even though I haven't seen it, it doesn't look too bad...]

4) They do an O-K job and no one cares.

If it were just Zac Efron on his own, without his HSM history, I reckon it wouldn't be too bad... even if it is trolling C:
Axelinn
Axelinn
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 724
Transforms into : A Flying Purple People Eater
Registration date : 2009-04-09

Back to top Go down
http://antireality.livejournal.com

Post By Lexicon. 02/03/10, 10:49 am

@ Axelinn

You totally just summed up my opinion. Scary. ;o;

Lexicon
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1037
Registration date : 2009-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post By Axelinn. 02/03/10, 10:50 am

@Lexi: I GOT THE SKILLS! /shot for offtopic
Axelinn
Axelinn
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 724
Transforms into : A Flying Purple People Eater
Registration date : 2009-04-09

Back to top Go down
http://antireality.livejournal.com

Post By carnione. 02/03/10, 11:03 am

@Lavi_x
Sometimes it translates well onto screen but there have been too many times in which it really hasn't worked.

And Zac Effron is a pretty good actor but the High School Musical thing was just a very unlucky popular movie for him to star in. Though a transition from HSM to... better movies -_-" wouldn't be too bad. Disney stars growing up Death Note! American Movie...? 116847

@Sonic Reducer
I feel like I'm spelling your name wrong~ sorry!!!!

That reminds me, who owns the rights to Death Note? Or for... or... however that is supposed to be phrased to make sense in English.

@Axelinn
Yay~ you sort of wrote everything I was too lazy to type and more~ 8D
I know its trolling >< But just the idea of it it... no.
carnione
carnione
EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 02/03/10, 12:07 pm

Oh grreaaaat (*sarcasm *) who is going to play L ?!

One of the Jonas Brothers ???

Death Note! American Movie...? 641870

Back to top Go down

Post By Aikome. 02/03/10, 12:15 pm

^ NOPLZKAYTHNX.

Seriously. I just hate the idea of it . . I mean look what the Americans have managed to sully through crappy remakes/films from the Easterns ( namely DB:E . . though even the horror genre) ; would anyone want that happening ~? Trolling or whatnot . . JUST. THEY- . . . URRRRGH. CASTS. ALWAYS HORRIBLE. No matter what, I think it'd be a fail.

Lol . . what Axelinn said !~ ~ ~
Aikome
Aikome
TEH WIZARD OF OZ.

Number of posts : 1564
Transforms into : TROLL :3
Registration date : 2009-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post By Sonic Reducer. 02/03/10, 12:22 pm

ok...*deep breath* ok....

@Axlinn

Several thing, Zac Efron has NOTHING to do with the movie at this point, the rumours are 200000000% false so while I loathe him myself theres no point in even discussing something that has NOTHING to do with this movie.

Also there is no ownership anymore. I know how cool we all feel when we discover something thats no one else has. But in reality most of us discover it years later and are the "mainstream" people hopping on the band wagon. Worst of all is if you are trying to claim any sort of that type of ownership you have already lost. It's a double negative. How can you only like something when no one else likes it? This is so weird it makes my head hurt.

In terms of "horribly wrong" I doubt it. It is using the japanese writers for the script so in terms of script it will be what we would get otherwise. In terms of actors nothing has been set yet or even passed the lips from warner brothers who are producing it. there is NO director and NO cast. Please PLEASE understand that people. I don't want a thread of stuff thats not true. If I wanted that I'd start a thread about the bible. (ZING!!!)

in terms of 17 again. Young people hate Zac Efron, older people hate seeing the same movie idea recycled for the 10000000000 time.

it does ok? well lets look at it this way.. Death Note was a manga....then became an anime.. the anime did GREAT sucess world wide...you following me on this one? point is that you can take a source material and it can be good. the Akira movie was great. Ghost in the shell.. all of these are based on another material and they're in the top anime lists all the damn time, not to mention top movie lists. Grave of the fireflies was a book.. do I need to keep listing?

@Carnione Warner Bros hold the right to produce the movie if thats what you're asking

Also I don't want this to turn into a race thing as has been done in the Airbender thread but while I'm not a major fan of adaptations (this doesn't count as a remake. It really doesn't, please use logic here). I don't instantly believe they're all bad and less of all do I believe that one race does it better than another. Or even that westerners can't touch eastern IP (Intellectual property) because ideas are adapted all over the globe from different stories. And in the end with that kind of thinking there'd only be 2 movies. and they'd both suck.
Sonic Reducer
Sonic Reducer
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By demon-girl. 02/03/10, 12:36 pm

If there is a DN english movie I really don't care who acts who as long as they try to keep the story line right ill be happy.
demon-girl
demon-girl
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 534
Transforms into : ......
Registration date : 2009-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post By RainbowMoonDust. 02/03/10, 12:48 pm

Oh God no! nono America will screw it up as per usual, quit ruining great animes just because you are too unoriginal to come up with your own ideas! Mad Besides there are already 3 awesome Death Note movies out there, with english subs, just leave it at that.
RainbowMoonDust
RainbowMoonDust
fraggle rock

Number of posts : 1480
Transforms into : Goddess of mischief
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down
http://rainbowmoondust.livejournal.com/

Post By kelseyketchum. 02/03/10, 12:51 pm

I personally look forward to seeing this movie, not because I expect it to be amazing (if anything, I expect the opposite) but because I want to see how they adapt such a great anime into a western movie.
A lot of it may end up being cringe-worthy, and the plot will probably be screwed up (just like in the Jap movies...but I still love those to pieces), but we don't NEED the exact same plot, do we? It's not like the manga and anime are suddenly going to disappear, the original amazingness will still exist and we can continue to love it.
I'll be happy as long as they don't f up the characters and actually make a decent movie.
kelseyketchum
kelseyketchum
fraggle rock

Number of posts : 1457
Transforms into : A plate of butter chicken.
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/kelseyketchum

Post By Sonic Reducer. 02/03/10, 12:54 pm

Can someone explain the hate to americans? Should I cringe when Japan adapts an American property?
Sonic Reducer
Sonic Reducer
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By Aikome. 02/03/10, 01:02 pm

Probably because they sugar honey iced tea all over the originals.
/thinking back/
Their rep for adapting an Eastern media . . isn't so good.
Aikome
Aikome
TEH WIZARD OF OZ.

Number of posts : 1564
Transforms into : TROLL :3
Registration date : 2009-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post By KotoneVersus. 02/03/10, 01:10 pm

To be fair... The Japanese live action Death Note movies were pretty awful in my opinion. So awful it was hilarious, but I think the Americans will just make it awful and....not hilarious?

But then again, Hollywood is making the American version of "Death at a Funeral" which was already English in the first place... That's just going to be plain awful.
KotoneVersus
KotoneVersus
noodletastic

Number of posts : 1712
Transforms into : Harley Quinn
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/rani.carley

Post By Sonic Reducer. 02/03/10, 01:19 pm

Everyone remakes though. I do see that we're meant to be fans of anime and who dare touches our anime but I think its boring to only want one thing one way.
Sonic Reducer
Sonic Reducer
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 02/03/10, 04:53 pm

Sonic Reducer wrote:
Can someone explain the hate to americans? Should I cringe when Japan adapts an American property?

We don't hate them, it's just that they tend to add too much western or rather Americanize any anime or manga theme that they touch and it just doesn't really work out well. They Americanize because they want to appeal to a western audience who have never seen or heard of Death Note before, they won't know the mistakes that the supporters of the anime know and they will totally see it as refresh and new and the ones who are true the manga and know the mistakes and what has been Americanize will cringe and will feel insulted because it's almost like they have ruined or destroyed their favourite fantasy..

But in the end it's even more annoying, because usually the western audience don't care much about something that is animed themed take Dragonball for example. It flopped and they tried to appeal to a western audience and in the end they have destoryed something that the original fans loved for totally no reason whatsoever..

Mean adding Miley Cyrus as Misa- Misa ? a girl who is supposed to be a dark and mysterious yet flirty character is being played by a Disney musical star ? It's rather downgrading towards the fans of the manga, mean why haven't they bothered giving Misa- Misa a proper actor that can play the role strongly and well ? Death Note is not a story for young tweens so it's kind of insulting towards the fanbase..

Also have you seen the old Street Fighter movie, Mortal Kombat, Super Mario, Dragon Ball ?

They are all Japanese based things turned into movies, and they have turned out AWFUL and don't think Death Note fans want to add their loved manga and anime into that collection of failed movies..

Back to top Go down

Post By Sonic Reducer. 02/03/10, 06:02 pm

first seriously... Miley is not Misa. There is NO casting at this point. None, zilch, nada, so using any casting as an example is flat out WRONG. If I'm coming off rude I actually don't care this time because it seems to be the major point people are using and NO casting has been made at all.

Secondly, I have accepted the fact I am western so I'm not at shock of a western twist on something, it doesn't bother me and its the writers that do it. The case of Death Note is that its the original writing team sooooooo.. It will be faithful and if its not its not americans doing it, it's the japanese.

lastly, alot of the movies are just known as bad, I enjoyed the first mortal kombat movie and other ones based from japanese IP, liek Silent Hill as well. Soooooo thats all I can really say.
Sonic Reducer
Sonic Reducer
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 03/03/10, 12:05 am

two words: Dragonball evolution *cringe*

Back to top Go down

Post By Sonic Reducer. 03/03/10, 04:50 am

one movie = bad everything? Batman and robin sucked so all comic book movies suck?
Sonic Reducer
Sonic Reducer
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By KotoneVersus. 03/03/10, 04:55 am

I think it's realistic to believe that Death Note will be better than Dragonball Evolution. Either way, we can't really make a proper judgement until we actually see it.
KotoneVersus
KotoneVersus
noodletastic

Number of posts : 1712
Transforms into : Harley Quinn
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/rani.carley

Post By Guest. 03/03/10, 06:58 am

Sonic Reducer wrote:
If I'm coming off rude I actually don't care this time because it seems to be the major point people are using and NO casting has been made at all.

They are using Dragon Ball Evolution as a example, they changed so much of the storyline and got the whole idea of the story basically wrong and Death Note fans don't want to see Light playing American football half way through the movie.

Sonic Reducer wrote:

Secondly, I have accepted the fact I am western so I'm not at shock of a western twist on something, it doesn't bother me and its the writers that do it. The case of Death Note is that its the original writing team sooooooo.. It will be faithful and if its not its not americans doing it, it's the japanese.

Death Note is a Japanese story so let it stay Japanese and let it keep it's Japanese themes. It's like turning Spongebob- Squarepants into a Japanese R13 anime cartoon.. IT WOULDN'T WORK !

Sonic Reducer wrote:

lastly, alot of the movies are just known as bad, I enjoyed the first mortal kombat movie and other ones based from japanese IP, liek Silent Hill as well. Soooooo thats all I can really say.

Good for you ?

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum