Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

VAMPIRES!... Wait, WHAT?!

Go to page : 1, 2  Next
View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
VAMPIRES!... Wait, WHAT?!
Post By Sockcat. 04/01/10, 11:54 am

You know, I'm a pretty moderate person when it comes to reading. I mean, I might read vast quantites, but I don't read the substandard (or at least I try not to). Trashy romances? NOOOOO. I would rather have my intestines stuffed with meat by-products and choke down pre-chewed gum. But I have to admit my guilty reading pleasure--I think vampire books are pretty cool. It's so cliche I usually avoid telling other people... But I can't be the only one, who likes 'em but actually reads decent literature, right??? To get to anything remotely resembling something readable, one has to sift through MASSES of utter rubbish *coughteen vampire romance novels by a certain authorcough*. It's very frustrating.

Soooo... Let's try and make a conclusive list of GOOD (well... you know what I mean) vampire/urban fantasy books, that expore the meatiness of the genre without turning our minds to mush with pansyish, Mary-Sue-like drivel. Here's a list to get started of ones I've read; some I picked up, fully expecting to laugh my head of in mocking, but they defied my pre-concieved notions; some I've read and don't like, but others might.

1. Night Road, by A.M. Jenkins. This is about hemivores (don't call them vampires) who are kind of on a road trip. The protagonist, Cole, is really pragmatic and thus awesome. Sounds lame, but this is the most realistic VB I've read. It's kind of gritty depressing but so well written I'd recomend it to everyone.
  2. Peeps followed by The Last Days, by Scott Westerfeld. This deals with vampirisim as a parasite--hence the infected are "parasite-positive" or "peeps" for short. Cal is infected but immune and has to round up his old girlfriends who've caught the disease like an STI. While the second book is not quite as good as Peeps in my opinion, these books are freakin' amazing and everything that "vampires" do is explained by science.
  3. The Night Watch, Day Watch, Twilight Watch and Last Watch, by Sergei Lukyanenko. These books have been translated from Russian, and I believe the first two are films. I haven't seen the films, but from the shorts they look completely different. These books deal with the "Others"; people who can do magic or see it or are some sort of "other" sentient being. Divided into two sides, the Light and Dark, it's how they interelate. Strictly they're not really vampire books, but vampires do feature in them. Urban fantasy at it's best, I'd say.
  4. Nightlife, Moonshine, Madhouse, and Deathwish, by Rob Thurman. Again, not technically a vampire book, vampires do feature in the universe. The story revolves around Cal(iban), a half-Auphe, half-human. He's on the run because basically everyone wants to kill him. Sound Gary-Stu-like, I know, but it's very witty and dry, with excellent first-person narrative.
  5. The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, by Heather Brewer. Kind of early-adolecent books, they centre on Vlad, a half-vampire teenager and his life. It pretty much personifies every vampire-cliche known to man, but it's excellent to read if you want to either pretend like your twelve or laugh at them. I shouldn't be so cynical; they're actually not that badly written, just blatantly concieved for a very narrow emo audience.
  6. You Suck, by Christopher Moore. A kinda lame vampire story written in odd prose. It has very coarse language, so that was kind of off-putting. I guess, for people who like that sort of thing, it's ok...
  7. Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, by Beth Fantaskey. Sort of like a well-written Twilight, it involves teenage romance and vampires, but it actually has a point; Jessica was bethrothed at birth and is already a vampire. I'm not a romance fan, but as far as they go it's really good. Like, better than Twilight by about a 100,000 miles.
  8. The Night World Series, by L.J. Smith. Don't get me started. They're sappy and love stories involving the supernatural. Not badly written, but clearly for teenage girls.
  9. The Reformed Vampire Support Group, by Catherine Jinks. In this book, real-world vampires are pathetic and constantly sick. It's brilliant and totally pokes fun at conventional vamps.
  10. The Demon's Lexicon, by Sarah Rees Brennan. Yeah, not a vampire book, but it involves these brothers, Nick and Alan, who fight the occult and kill magicians. It's really creepy and cool.
  11. The House of Night series, by P.C and Kirsten Cast. My advice: don't read them. It's peverted and involves lots of graphic immorality. I was a little disgusted by it... Also it's a clear case of MARY-SUEdom...

...And that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Please expand our list!

So please, add more, disagree with me and discuss, etc. I'm always on the look out for more books to read and I'm sure I'm not the only one out there! It could be like a little mini book club...

N.B. If you list them, please elaborate on the gore content/language, etc, and say roughly what it was about for the benefit of everyone else, and/or link to info.
Sockcat
Sockcat
Le grande

Number of posts : 186
Transforms into : a half-selkie
Registration date : 2009-04-11

VAMPIRES!... Wait, WHAT?! Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: VAMPIRES!... Wait, WHAT?!
Post By firecat70. 04/01/10, 03:01 pm

I like vampire books too (which is why I read Twilight D: Then found out it was Mary Sue central with no blood D:
Peeps was really good. I also like Anne Rice's vampire chronicles. They are quite heavy reading (I find they take awhile to read because of her writing style) but good.
firecat70
firecat70
lucky*

Number of posts : 1117
Transforms into : a dinosaur
Registration date : 2008-05-08

Back to top Go down
http://www.scoodasaurus.com

Post By Cassiel. 04/01/10, 03:47 pm

ILU. SO HARD. <333333

Ahem... I'm also a huge fan of the vampire genre, and lately I've been searching for good, solid vampire books that could have a claim to literature, so this list is a godsend. I've become a bit dissatisfied with Twilight recently.

I agree with you that the House of Night series isn't very good. The vampires Vampyres are just "cursed with awesome", and really I got the impression that the vampirism was just there to add allure to the series.

I think you're lacking Dracula on your list though -- surely one of the most influential vampire novels should be included? I haven't read it yet so I can't say about warnings.

I'm also thinking Interview with the Vampire and the Vampire Lestat should be added -- Anne Rice was also a huge influence on the modern vampire genre today, though of course there's sensuality, depressing themes and I suppose homoerotic relationships.

Hmm... Darren Shan's series is quite good, if only for a light read more than anything else. It's hardly philosophical, but I enjoyed it. There's less gore, but it gets fairly dark during the later books with at least one major character death, and the ending is a bit weak.

Oh, for a satirical look at vampires in today's literature, as well as yesteryear Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett is very amusing.
Cassiel
Cassiel
champaign supernova~

Number of posts : 820
Transforms into : Eating pudding.
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post By Pyro. 04/01/10, 04:28 pm

I find vampire books to be a bit hit-and-miss, but Darren Shan, Peeps and some series I read ages ago are good. 8D

Actually, I was wondering if anyone could remind me the title of the series I read...

Some girl moved to a new town and ended up with a classmate who kept acting shifty. Turns out, he's a vampire... They start dating, and then some random homicidal vampires come to town and try to kill her.

YES IT'S THE SAME PLOT AS TWILIGHT but it was actually really well written, the female lead was this nerdy goth girl who was actually half-interesting, and the male lead wasn't so much of a stalker...

I'm gonna look up some stuff and see if I can find out the title of it, but ja, sooo good. It was like Twilight but less crappy. xDDD

EDIT: Found it! It's called Vampire Kisses (lol), and it's by Ellen Schreiber. And it's actually the guy that moves into town, not the girl. C:
Pyro
Pyro
Winner of the Infinitely Quotable Award

Number of posts : 3934
Transforms into : Tik-Tok Tibenoch
Registration date : 2007-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 04/01/10, 04:41 pm

I am extremely vulnerable when it comes to trashy over-dramatic, cliche plot lined and drama filled romance novels. Even worse when it comes to vampire ones. FML.
I don't even seek out well known novels. I just read the ones that sound the most dramatic xD;;

Back to top Go down

Post By Sockcat. 05/01/10, 05:07 am

Hmmmm... Yeah. I'm kinda the same. Except sometimes I read things and I sort of squee inside at the blatant way in which they exploit all the cliches under the sun (heh), even though I know it's logically rubbish.

In regards to the vampire kisses books, I'm pretty sure they were published before Twilight. Lol. I thought they were a bit flippant, but there you go.

Cassiel wrote:

I think you're lacking Dracula on your list though -- surely one of the most influential vampire novels should be included? I haven't read it yet so I can't say about warnings.

I'm also thinking Interview with the Vampire and the Vampire Lestat should be added -- Anne Rice was also a huge influence on the modern vampire genre today, though of course there's sensuality, depressing themes and I suppose homoerotic relationships.

Hmm... Darren Shan's series is quite good, if only for a light read more than anything else. It's hardly philosophical, but I enjoyed it. There's less gore, but it gets fairly dark during the later books with at least one major character death, and the ending is a bit weak.

Of course! I didn't mention Anne Rice, Dracula or Darren Shan because there are already threads about them (I think), but of course they should be included. I agree with you about the DS ending, BTW; it was super weak and what happened was obvious within the first three books...
Sockcat
Sockcat
Le grande

Back to top Go down

Post By kyokyogirl. 08/01/10, 11:13 am

I love vampire stories, though I will agree that it is really difficult finding good stuff.

I have read Peeps and found it very enjoyable from what I remember. Darren Shan was good too, though I will admit I only read the first 3 or 4 books then kinda lost interest. I don't remember why though. It was so long ago that I read them...
I really enjoyed the Night World series. Though that might have been because I was a young teenage girl when I read them VAMPIRES!... Wait, WHAT?! 462451

I only read Twilight because of the promise of Vamps. Was woefully disappointed.

One vamp series I did really get into for a while was the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series by Laural K. Hamilton. Very gory, with highly descriptive sex scenes, coarse language, werewolves plus many other mythical creatures and a bit of romance thrown in for fun. Not for the faint hearted. I got put off by about the 12th book because there was just too much sex going on (some of it just a bit too...exotic for my tastes) and I lost track of the actual plot. But otherwise pretty damn good up to about book 7 or 8. VAMPIRES!... Wait, WHAT?! Icon_smile
kyokyogirl
kyokyogirl
fuzzeh duckling~

Number of posts : 1097
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post By Li-Bai. 08/01/10, 01:00 pm

I used to love 'em, but I'm finding there are just waaaay too many trashy Vampire 'forbidden-romance' type stories like Twilight cropping up on preteen shelves. >___>

Myself, I am a fan of Vampire Hunter D. Does that count?
Li-Bai
Li-Bai
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2251
Transforms into : a lover and a renegade fighter.
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Back to top Go down
http://li-bai.deviantart.com

Post By Pura. 08/01/10, 01:44 pm

The Dark-Angel series by Meredith Ann Pierce. I've only read the first one though.

The first book is called The Dark-Angel (funny that), and is actually pretty good. It's from the 80's I'm pretty sure, and pretty original.

It's based for teenagers, so there's nothing too gory in it from what I remember.

"The servant girl Aeriel must choose between destroying her vampire master for his evil deeds or saving him for the sake of his beauty and the spark of goodness she has seen in him."

I'm tempted to read some of the books listed, actually. But I'm a lazy reader ...
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post By Crimson Dragon. 08/01/10, 04:03 pm

i like vampire series but thanks to twilight its become so much harder actually admit to liking vampire series.
Crimson Dragon
Crimson Dragon
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 738
Transforms into : Zorua
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post By Sockcat. 09/01/10, 09:36 am

Yep. Hence why I was hesitant at starting this thread... But I figured I couldn't have been alone in being a snob when it comes to reading good literature AND having a secret likin' of vampire books. Heh.

I rememebered two more:

1. Thirsty, by M.T. Anderson. It was written quite a while ago and is very... What's the word... Harrowing. It's set in modern day in a parellel universe where vampires and the like openly exist. Being the minority they are hunted and killed and it's normal to go to lynchings of witches or vampires. The voice of the story is good, but it is a horror... Quite a few people die.

2. Suck it up, by Brian Meheel. This is really (reasonably) light-hearted and kind of funny. It has a pretty cool universe and all that. The main character's name is Morning, which (though it sound gary-stu-esque) has a meaning and is thus kinda cool. Worth reading, I'd say.

Also, has anyone read those series of books about a half-vampire half-werewolf "all-attitude" chick? I haven't but I remember shelving it at the library and laughing my head off at the implausibility of the premise.
Sockcat
Sockcat
Le grande

Back to top Go down

Post By Cassiel. 09/01/10, 01:39 pm

Half vampire half werewolf? Really? Why not add in a quarter Sidhe while they're at it? So does this mean only half of her turns into a wolf while the other half sucks blood? I just... whut.

But! I am keen on reading Thirsty. I've been drawn to vampire horror recently.
Cassiel
Cassiel
champaign supernova~

Number of posts : 820
Transforms into : Eating pudding.
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post By azeria. 09/01/10, 02:16 pm

Quote :
The Night Watch, Day Watch, Twilight Watch and Last Watch, by Sergei Lukyanenko. These books have been translated from Russian, and I believe the first two are films. I haven't seen the films, but from the shorts they look completely different. These books deal with the "Others"; people who can do magic or see it or are some sort of "other" sentient being. Divided into two sides, the Light and Dark, it's how they interelate. Strictly they're not really vampire books, but vampires do feature in them. Urban fantasy at it's best, I'd say.
^EVERYONE READ IT. READ IT NOW.

Omg it's sooo good <33 I still need to steal Last Watch off my sister.
There's also movies of them, with some hilarious product placement. I also want to watch the dub, since Yuri Lowenthal voices the main character XDD But yea, the first movie isn't tooo different from the first book. Haven't seen Day Watch though.

They've got three different stories in each book. And are pure win.
azeria
azeria
ACB Queen '10

Number of posts : 3226
Transforms into : Rinatron
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down
http://azeriacosplay.tumblr.com/

Post By kyokyogirl. 10/01/10, 07:57 am

Thirsty sounds like it might be worth reading.

I saw the Night Watch movie a few years ago (the dub), haven't read the book though. I actually didn't think much of the movie...maybe the book would be better to read VAMPIRES!... Wait, WHAT?! 37781
kyokyogirl
kyokyogirl
fuzzeh duckling~

Back to top Go down

Post By azeria. 10/01/10, 09:32 am

^^The book is much better 8D
The movie focuses on the small child, whereas in the book it's actually all about Svet...lana... Or whatever her name was >___>

& Day Watch is freaking sad ;__;
azeria
azeria
ACB Queen '10

Back to top Go down

Post By Aikome. 11/01/10, 10:53 am

Pyro wrote:

Actually, I was wondering if anyone could remind me the title of the series I read...

Some girl moved to a new town and ended up with a classmate who kept acting shifty. Turns out, he's a vampire... They start dating, and then some random homicidal vampires come to town and try to kill her.

YES IT'S THE SAME PLOT AS TWILIGHT but it was actually really well written, the female lead was this nerdy goth girl who was actually half-interesting, and the male lead wasn't so much of a stalker...

I'm gonna look up some stuff and see if I can find out the title of it, but ja, sooo good. It was like Twilight but less crappy. xDDD

EDIT: Found it! It's called Vampire Kisses (lol), and it's by Ellen Schreiber. And it's actually the guy that moves into town, not the girl. C:

I read the first book of Vampire Kisses. Didn't like it . . I'd prefer a Mary-Sue over the main character of that series.

Couldn't stand how she was a . . wannabe vampire. Found it a bit cliche how she was all goth and such and this random guy who happens to be vampire ( and dressed in a similar sense to her ) came along and made her dreams come true ^ ^;

There's a graphic novel of it though which I read and liked. It takes place after the events in the series though I think.

-
I love trashy, sleazy, paperback, scorned romance novels. Especially when they involve the supernatural.<3 OH HO HO. Easy to find too, just look at what has been labelled the " New York Yimes Bestselling-whatever ".

The Nightworld series were okay-ish, but not raunchy enough. Kinda weak and as said, teenage girl stuff.

Idk if it counts but I really like the Dark series by Christine Feehan. The vampire are the bad guys and there are these people called Carparthians who are similar to the like, but not evil and they hunt the vampires.
Note : trashy ( depending on your opinion ) sleazy, paperback, scorned romance material.
Aikome
Aikome
TEH WIZARD OF OZ.

Number of posts : 1564
Transforms into : TROLL :3
Registration date : 2009-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post By azeria. 11/01/10, 11:46 am

^wait... is that the manga that's like 'goth girl blah and her vampire boyfriend'??
XDD I lol'd so hard at that!! It just sounded like a bad fanfic XD
azeria
azeria
ACB Queen '10

Back to top Go down

Post By kyokyogirl. 11/01/10, 12:03 pm

Has anyone read this? The Strain

It sounds reeeeaaly good. It's got like a vamp/zombie apocalypse thing going on, I would love to read it.
kyokyogirl
kyokyogirl
fuzzeh duckling~

Back to top Go down

Post By Aikome. 11/01/10, 12:42 pm

azeria wrote:
^wait... is that the manga that's like 'goth girl blah and her vampire boyfriend'??
XDD I lol'd so hard at that!! It just sounded like a bad fanfic XD

Yeeeeeees. Is bad.
The art was cute though.

My sister read Thirsty, mentioned it was good and I thought of reading it too . . but then she said the ending wasn't too good.

Aikome
Aikome
TEH WIZARD OF OZ.

Number of posts : 1564
Transforms into : TROLL :3
Registration date : 2009-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post By Grassangel. 15/01/10, 08:21 am

My suggestions are:

Jaz Parks series by Jennifer Rardin - It is usually found in the bookstore under 'romance', but they're aimed at adults and the two main characters are assassins for the CIA. There are also demons, not just vampires; the ensemble cast is good, there is no sex and there are plenty of funny moments. The only problems I have with it is that the female main gets a few souped up powers and the make out scenes have gradually increased in number. (Although the author HAS promised never to include a sex scene. Mostly because whatever she wrote would never satisfy her readers, but something I'm grateful for nonetheless.)

Vampirates series by Jeff Somers - Okay, so it's for 12 year olds, but that at least means there aren't large romantic overtures. But yes, vampire pirates. AUSTRALIAN ONES. (Canadian ones are a webcomic.)

And there was another book I was going to recommend, but it's gone straight out of my head.
Grassangel
Grassangel
Superman

Number of posts : 273
Transforms into : Pâtisserie extraordinaire
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down
http://grass-angel.livejournal.com

Post By Kat. 18/01/10, 04:50 am

the darren shan (vampire's apprentice, etc.) series was kind of interesting, even if the last book in the series had a rather lame ending
Kat
Kat
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post By Sockcat. 13/03/10, 12:01 pm

@Grassangel: Kids books are awesome.

Well... I read the Vampire Diaries Bks, and I expected them to be TOTALLY lame. But... well... I was pleasantly surprised. They're actually well written. I kind of liked them...
Sockcat
Sockcat
Le grande

Back to top Go down

Post By deceptivemagick. 14/03/10, 01:58 pm

I like vampire diaries (among other vamp books of course)... but they were written so long ago too so they can seem to get away with some of the cliches, but i enjoy them

the new series, nightfall etc are interesting but quite different. i believe its because in the huge time gap between the 2 releases of both series

and im glad night world is finally going to be finished, i really hate an unfinished book series
deceptivemagick
deceptivemagick
lucky*

Number of posts : 1115
Transforms into : an epic fire breathing dragon
Registration date : 2009-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post By Sockcat. 15/03/10, 02:23 am

Mmmyeah true. That's the thing with the vampire genre--it's good if it gets away with the cliche. It's like Anne Rice; what she wrote was cool because no-one had done it quite like her before. Now all those suave vamps who are like hers are just rip offs.
Sockcat
Sockcat
Le grande

Back to top Go down

Post By Lumissne. 15/03/10, 05:51 am

I love Vampire Books 8D My favourite will always be good ole "Dracula"
Lumissne