Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Avatar (by james Cameron... not the Airbender)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Re: Avatar (by james Cameron... not the Airbender)
Post By Guest. 24/02/10, 07:10 am

Suixelo wrote:

I'd say 90% of films are CGI free. CGI has been implemented because movies are not real. Some aspects are just impossible to film without CGI. Yeah, they used puppets etc before CGI, but the public doesn't like that now, it looks aged and old.

Apparently even things like Rom-Coms are stuffed full of incidental CG - like making a car vanish or something. For some things, its just cheaper to fix it in post.

And don't be dissing the puppets! Razz I grew up on the puppets, and they haven't dated. They're less popular, sure, but the well done puppetry from 30 years ago looks better than yesterdays bad CG.

Avatar (by james Cameron... not the Airbender) - Page 5 Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Suixelo. 24/02/10, 07:17 am

Oh yeah, I mean, more than the odd little thing.

I'm not lol! I grew up on them as well. It's just the truth that CGI sells more today. If they remade Labyrinth for example, original fans would hate it in CGI, but it would still sell extremely well. The film industry is fueled on money, what will make them profit and what will flop. Avatar's huge success just pushes the point that impressive CGI will sell more than story, you see the same with really bad scripts and high ticket sales. It's all about presentation. What you can give that no one else can.
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3569
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post By Sonic Reducer. 24/02/10, 08:01 am

Thats true. and to me, I may be a little old fashioned but thats not a good thing.

I accept that movies aren't real but the cgi looked piss poor to me seriously and that was with 3d glasses on, and because of that it ruined the experience more so because it ruined in sence of immersion there could of been.

But while theres a book, there are sequels for the movie.. movie sequels... featuring movies and movs and ies... and I think I figured out the real reason people comitted suicide after the movie.

I just don't see the appeal of something that looked like a video game and yet had a worse story than a video game. It wasn't the worst movie I've seen but the problem I have is that it shows that we no longer need actors or location filming (yes I'm aware some was shot in NZ etc etc) and I don't think I could watch movies any more if it went to that myself.

Avatar was a block buster and I honestly don't think it will be remembered in 10 years time so I have that to look forward to.
Sonic Reducer
Sonic Reducer
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 675
Transforms into : Your mother
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jesuschristpose

Post By Suixelo. 24/02/10, 08:05 am

I haven't heard confirmation for a film sequal yet, only rumours. Where did you get that information from?

Seeing as I'm training in on screen performance, I surely hope you are wrong! =P Nah, actors will be needed for years and years to come, even in CGI movies they rely heavily on the actors behind the scenes, do a little research and you'll see exactly how much of the CG was actually based on the motion capture of the real actors.
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Sonic Reducer. 24/02/10, 08:37 am

Even with motion capture you're not acting the same way as you would for screen, its more like stage acting.
Sonic Reducer
Sonic Reducer
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 24/02/10, 08:39 am

u_ne_korn wrote:

Alrighty then, it's a deal!! I expect a full report! Very Happy
I'm not anticipating having to pony up though, I'm very confident you'll like it. Very Happy

Will PM you a review, when have seen it- err is it still showing in cinemas ? 0__o''

Suixelo wrote:

I'm not lol! I grew up on them as well. It's just the truth that CGI sells more today. If they remade Labyrinth for example, original fans would hate it in CGI, but it would still sell extremely well. The film industry is fueled on money, what will make them profit and what will flop. Avatar's huge success just pushes the point that impressive CGI will sell more than story, you see the same with really bad scripts and high ticket sales. It's all about presentation. What you can give that no one else can.

Suixelo is kinda right, people today are really attracted to CGI because are starting to like movies looking like they are real. The more real the fantasy feels, the more people like it even though it's a fantasy film. It's all about attracting the real to the fantasy.. however it is sad that storyline is seeming less important in today's society than graphics attractiveness..
The storyline and character development should be the main add on and the graphics should just be a special bonus..

That's why is really unkeen to see this movie expect money from U-ne Korn.. ( and doing a movie review sounds cool )

If you have watched Fern Gully and Disney's Pocahontas you have basically already seen the movie, you just haven't seen it in CGI prettiness yet =p

Back to top Go down

Post By Suixelo. 24/02/10, 08:43 am

Sonic Reducer wrote:
Even with motion capture you're not acting the same way as you would for screen, its more like stage acting.

No. Not at all. Have a look at some behind the scenes on motion capture. The actors perform as they would perform on camera. Stage acting is a completely different form of acting, you are less acting with your face and more with your body because the audience can see body actions and not facial actions. You over-excentuate every little detail, where as on screen it is a lot more delicate. In motion capture acting, it is essential to act from your face, as otherwise there would be no point in capturing!
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 24/02/10, 08:53 am

Pink- Ninja wrote:
If you have watched Fern Gully and Disney's Pocahontas you have basically already seen the movie, you just haven't seen it in CGI prettiness yet =p

Pretty sure it's still in cinemas Very Happy

I give it a 1/5 for plot, absolutely. It IS predictable. It IS a blatant copy of Ferngully and Pocahontas. But you know what?

I LOVE Ferngully and Pocahontas!!

The story is bad, but I have absolutely seen worse films. Like the one I watched last night - ghastly, appaling. Like Transformers 2 - DREADFUL.

Avatar's plot is weak and bad. That is a fault. But everything else about it is amazing. Movies are not JUST plot. Movies are a package deal. If plot is the only important thing, read the screenplay. If you want to enjoy a creation, watch the film. Everything else about Avatar gets 5/5 from me.

Back to top Go down

Post By Sonic Reducer. 24/02/10, 09:09 am

I couldn't give a movie a good rating for apperance. I would stare at a painting or go to a strip club if I wanted to stare at something. Especially when you're paying nearly 20$ for a ticket.

I understand that CGI is where we are going but I hate to see it rely on CGI and CGI only which is laregly what this film is. Its a route I don't want to go down and with over 500 dvds in my house as of currently I may retire from being a movie fan if it continues this way.
Sonic Reducer
Sonic Reducer
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By P-Layton. 26/02/10, 12:12 pm

Sonic Reducer, although I have to agree with you on some points, I disagree in others.

Yes, it is kind of lame that Avatar relied mainly on CGI, but in saying that, isn't acting part of the appearance? A good actor is part of the overall appearance of the movie, and if the actor is bad, the movie is bad. Same with costumes, bad costumes in a movie, say, about Sherlock Holmes, would ruin the entire fun of it, wouldn't it? Same with an anime, badly drawn ones, are usually, bad.

But I agree with you that if movies start to rely on CGI, it would lame, and a quick way to lose fans.
P-Layton
P-Layton
Le grande

Number of posts : 173
Transforms into : Professor Layton
Registration date : 2009-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post By Sonic Reducer. 26/02/10, 12:28 pm

To me a movie shouldnt be just about apperance. While that does come into it I've found more enjoyment out of movies that look bad than ones that look nice. The original Jaws is one of my favourite movies of all time and now when I saw that people laugh at me and comment on how fake the shark looks. Sure it looks awful but the suspense and the acting made and incredible film. I find the original Godzilla (Gojira) movie the best of all 20+ movies even though its blatantly a man in a rubber suit. The list goes on and on.

It is obviously based on what I was raised on, firstly I'm older than alot of people here and thus grew up with different movies, as well as I was raised by my grandparents so I saw what they enjoyed, so I grew up with older movies rather than going on to the flashy looking ones.

My overall point is that when you question anyone of Avatar they will comment more on apperance than story, acting, direction and so forth. And directing loses its meaning when alot of it is done infront of a green screen, it removes things like enviromental factors or actual interaction with something thats really infront of you. Sure they're not likely to get a giant bird to interact with but I'm more comfortable watching something that I have confidence in that is "real" that something that I do see as fake. The 3D and CGI just didn't look as good to me as everyone is making it out. Maybe I'm going blind or I have brain cancer.
Sonic Reducer
Sonic Reducer
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Back to top Go down

Post By chiken_skratch. 26/02/10, 12:42 pm

well, today at athletics day a cople of year 13's painted them selves blue, wore a loin cloth over some shorts, also painted some decorative white dots on their bodies and to top ot all off, they plaited a really long piece of brown maaterial and tied it around their head and frayed the end and painted in some fray bits skin colour.
completely epic
chiken_skratch
chiken_skratch
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 606
Transforms into : somebody more useful
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down
http://cosplayfromskratch.deviantart.com

Post By P-Layton. 26/02/10, 12:42 pm

Sonic Reducer;
... you got me beat. You got your point across, in, if I may say so, a respect worthy post.
I take back my earlier post, you've converted me. 8D
And I hope you're not dying of cancer.
P-Layton
P-Layton
Le grande

Number of posts : 173
Transforms into : Professor Layton
Registration date : 2009-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post By Huntress. 30/05/10, 04:16 pm

Hmmmm some interesting points. However, film today is completely different to 10-20 years ago (I'm about same generation as Sonic Reducer.) However, I have also worked on films. I would say it is very easy to watch a film; comment, critique and complain about it. Ultimately the director has the final say.

However, film is a form of art. Remember that those behind the scenes work hard and much of the work they do is not seen. No, in terms of effects and even technology - nothing was new, merely refined. The specific detailed technology in terms of facial capture was pioneered years earlier and has been continually refined on films like I Robot.

Maybe this film is not all it's cracked up to be. To be perfectly honest I think audiences spend so much time critiquing and miss out on enjoying the film. There are some movies which are so obviously bad they make you want to cry! However, it is "willing suspension of belief," and many films I have seen trashed are far better than the critically acclaimed ones. That does not make all critically acclaimed films bad either. It is simply that most audiences prefer to be wowed visually.

Predictable? Yes. But considering that the subject matter is still so relevant to many situations world-wide, I don't think it's such a big deal. It was a new representation of that for modern audiences and young people who are unaware of many of these past films.

It's really easy to stand on the sidelines and say "that's crap." Not saying you don't have the right to comment simply because you haven't done it or done better. But some base level of respect for the amount of work people put in on these films, some acknowledgement of the hard work would seem appropriate.

I personally LOVE Avatar.

Meh, what I think.
Huntress
Huntress
Le grande

Number of posts : 165
Transforms into : A cat canteen. I supply all-you-can-eat biscuits and meats. I also have a fountain of ever-flowing fresh water for your convenience.
Registration date : 2010-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Avatar (by james Cameron... not the Airbender)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosplay New Zealand :: Entertainment :: Media-