Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cutting your own hair. DIY OH YEAH HOT.

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Post By Tamoo. 07/11/09, 10:16 pm

K. Firefox crashed and ate my whole post. I SHALL WRITE UP ABRIDGED VERSION.

Do you cut your own hair? Natural hair. Not wig hair. WIGS DON'T COUNT HERE. But I guess some rules from here apply to wigs. WAIT. IM CONTRADICTING MYSELF. These are not by-the-book, and are just from my own experience. In no way am I saying my tips are perfect.

I don't trust hairdressers. At all. So I pretty much do my own cutting of hair usually (of course, there are the times when my mother drags me to the hair salon.....tch)

How to cut your own fringe
tammy's azn way
Tips from experience, trial and error
+You can use sharp paper scissors if you do not have proper hair scissors or thinning shears.
+NEVER cut your hair when it is wet. Seriously. You misjudge the stopping mark.
+Make sure fringe is from edge of eyes (or irises) and doesn't go past to the hairline, unless you're intending to make your face look wider.
+Brush hair to the front
+Cut vertically (with paper/hair scissors; you can cut horizontally with thinning shears) to make the edges softer looking. Imho, blunt bangs are not that flattering, and sometimes you can get it terribly wrong when you cut horizontally. If you have a lot to cut off, just snip bluntly with at least an inch to spare so you can feather it.
Spoiler:

Layering your own hair
To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't recommend cutting your own hair to the extreme like layering it, if you are not confident enough that you will not eff up your hair.
Spoiler:
What I did when I layered my hair like that above is that I tied up my hair on the top of my head and just snipped it off. Yes, I did that. Then I evened it out.... without using a mirror for the back. AHAHAHA. Yeah, not so smart >_>
HEY SHANNEN. WHO BLEACHED MY HAIR? 8DDD

When layering, cut the outer (top) layer of hairs and gradually cut down in sections, leaving the bottom (the hairs nearest your scalp) hairs the longest. Use vertical cutting or thinning shears.

Some of my cut-by-myself-haircuts from give-or-take three years:
Spoiler:

Dying your own hair
UH. People have asked me how I did it by myself.
....Seriously? I just shoved the smelly crap on my hair and voila. I really don't know.
Though for my highlights, I went to my hairdressers. It involves tinfoil. Kinkyyy.
As for bleaching, when you bleach it USE PURPLE TONER. Because it makes your hair NOT go ginge XD So yeah, bleaching is for people who have lots of money to spend. My hair went ginge because I was lazy/poor to buy purple toner. And get a friend to help you bleach it C: BECAUSE ITS MORE FUN THAT WAY *smiles at Shannen and Alena*
If you have dark hair, leave the bleach on for a little bit longer than what it says on the box.... unless of course you're scared of having your hair fall out.
You might also need to have your hair bleached at least two-three times before it goes fully blonde. I only did it once because I left mine in for at least three hours longer than the recommended time XD My hair is naturally special >_>

Currently my hair is dark brown (my natural hair colour is black... of the blackest hole of blackmcpants. NIGGUR) C: Planning to make it a bit more of a light brown before I go to Japland. BWAHAHAHA. I SHALL CLAIM IT AS NATURAL TO MY FUTURE JAP CLASSMATES. >_>

K. Now discuss DIY hair cutting/styling/STUFFS.

I'll probably add more on how to style things etc.

Oh god. I actually has a text wall.

DOES ANYONE NOTICE HOW TERRIBLY AZN I AM?!
Tamoo
Tamoo
Supermod

Number of posts : 4525
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Cutting your own hair. DIY OH YEAH HOT. Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: Cutting your own hair. DIY OH YEAH HOT.
Post By Suixelo. 08/11/09, 08:02 am

lold. This is cute. Ur. I just snip at my hair pretty much the same way. We used to do terribly ghetto ways of layering when I was 16 lol. My hair is still trying to recover XDD
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3569
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post By Duckeh. 08/11/09, 08:05 am

I LIKED IT WHEN I MADE YOUR HAIR GINGE.
Itwasginge,becauseIbelieveditwas.

That is all.
Duckeh
Duckeh
GOD of all things EPIC

Number of posts : 6842
Transforms into : YO BUTT.
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down
http://www.duckeh.com

Post By Guest. 08/11/09, 08:07 am

Lol, I hate hairdressers and I know what you mean, Ive had my hair ruined by so many hairdressers T^T, So i decided to take up a hairdressing course and now i know how to cut my own hair without doing the crazy things hairdressers do xDDD I hate taking off length sooo much >_< and layering etc.

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 08/11/09, 08:08 am

hmm.

Mother once cut my fringe 2inches away from my hairline. I nearly punched her in the face ;w;

Yeah my hair is a lost cause. It's falling out now.

I like my red-ness tho

Back to top Go down

Post By sakuramiyabi. 08/11/09, 08:08 am

im too scared to cut my own hair ... except for my fringe

i effed that up once and cut it way too short that it became weird once ==||

i usually go to my hairdresser (lovely korean lady who cuts perfectly, quickly and any style for $30 8D)

and i was greatly amused when your hair came out ginge XDD
sakuramiyabi
sakuramiyabi
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3941
Transforms into : Melted pool of something
Registration date : 2008-01-09

Back to top Go down
http://sakuramiyabi019.deviantart.com

Post By kyokyogirl. 08/11/09, 01:18 pm

I've been cutting my own hair for the last three years cos I'm too poor to go to a hair dresser, and see no point going just for a trim XD

My hair is quite thick and curly, the only time I can cut it is when it's wet. Each time I do a trim I just pull a small portion of my hair straight and cut of a few cm off and repeat until I've covered the whole head (my hair is very short i.e. <5cm, so it's easy to tell when one bit is longer than the rest).

I don't worry too much about getting it uneven cos it's curly, it sits unevenly anyway XD
kyokyogirl
kyokyogirl
fuzzeh duckling~

Number of posts : 1097
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post By Olli. 08/11/09, 01:20 pm

Tammy is awesome!!! ^^

I shall remember this ^^
Olli
Olli
L

Number of posts : 3197
Location : In your nightmares MWAHAHAHAHA (or Chch) XD and lurking on CNZ
Transforms into : The Shadow On The Moon At Night
Registration date : 2009-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post By Pura. 09/11/09, 05:53 am

Lul. I want to cut my own hair because all hairdressers suck. But I'm just afraid of making it look awful xD

I cut my own fringe though. I cut it yesterday or the day before, and it would not get out of my eyes so I picked my fringe up and just cut a huge chunk off. Take that, hair. Now it looks funny, but it'll re-grow soon enough xD. And then I'll have to cut it again Dx

I also dye my own hair. With the help of either my mum or my older sister when she's up in Wellington xD.
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post By azeria. 09/11/09, 07:27 am

My hair dresser is awesome <33 She's also a perfectionist so first time I had her took around two hours lol.
& is also verreh cheap. My shampoo + conditioner is more expensive than haircut lmao.

I'd never cut my own hair since it's so damn insane xDD
azeria
azeria
ACB Queen '10

Number of posts : 3226
Transforms into : Rinatron
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down
http://azeriacosplay.tumblr.com/

Post By Mischa. 09/11/09, 08:43 am

I cut my own fringe by putting sticky tape on it and cutting along the line...yeah

I will be using these tips! Very Happy

I went dark dark brown to blonde and I agree toner is a MUST and it's awesome. Being blonde is a full time hobby (cost and tweaking) I really am tempted to go back (my natural hair colour is in my avatar)

Blondey-me (It took hours of bleaching to get there)
Spoiler:
Mischa
Mischa
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1045
Transforms into : GRIMDARK
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Back to top Go down
http://www.doublestitch.co.nz

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosplay New Zealand :: Cosplay :: Wigs, Make-up and Crossplay-