Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Armageddon Cosplay Contest Rules and registration forms

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Re: Armageddon Cosplay Contest Rules and registration forms
Post By Mischa. 22/03/10, 02:27 pm

Cool :) thanks!
Mischa
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1045
Transforms into : GRIMDARK
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Back to top Go down
http://www.doublestitch.co.nz

Post By neimhaille. 22/03/10, 02:37 pm

Prefer images separate if sending as a DOC file or as an email. Though in file is fine too, it's just me and my preference to use gmail's "view as html" feature.

PDFs are fine. I converted all emails to pdf for Aucks last year as a back up and it worked nicely.

Plain text is fine too.
neimhaille
Armageddon Cosplay Contest Judge

Number of posts : 661
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post By SpamTomatoSpam. 23/03/10, 12:12 pm

I'd just like to double-check: is it still acceptable to hand in registration forms on Saturday at Chchgeddon?

My sister and I are both entering the contest, but uh... our costumes aren't yet complete enough for us to fill out the form properly ie. I'm not sure I can describe the creation process of various components that I haven't yet started on. Oh dear.

I know it's much better to have the forms in earlier but I think if we were to send them in now a lot of the details would change before the day of the contest.
SpamTomatoSpam
Ultimatum

Number of posts : 206
Transforms into : my own evil twin
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post By neimhaille. 23/03/10, 02:06 pm

Understandable and that is the reason for the hand ins.

I will also be available to chat about and will collect the forms before going and crashing at the hotel at day's end ;) So you can leave it to quite late in the day if need be.
neimhaille

Back to top Go down

Post By Mandie_Chan. 25/03/10, 10:14 am

So I didn't get around to handing in my form last night (sorry) and I remember last year I didn't have a clue where to hand in the form at chchgeddon.
Just to make sure, is the information desk near where you pass to get into the convention?
Mandie_Chan
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 6753
Transforms into : Epic Baker of DOOOOM
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post By Huntress. 15/04/10, 05:56 am

Apologies in advance as this may not be the right topic to tack this on to but have been looking and seems to be the most appropriate.

Have been reading over the cosplay rules again recently and have a query. I understand the "no commissions" is to prevent people from using a professional in order to win.
However, having had much discussion with a friend and also being involved in a group and being the person with the desire to enter and not being physically capable or wearing all costumes as well as an inability to find other cosplayers willing to be part of the group and make their own costumes. I have to ask if there is the possibility of entering cosplay using someone else to model your creation.

I am asking this, not based on issues with crossplay but for practical reasons. I know people who would like to enter but have physical disabilities which prevent them from being the person in the costume and from what we understand of the current rules and regulations for them to have someone else wear the costume would be prohibited.
But also, that there are individuals who for many reasons may not be comfortable with the idea of creating something they have to wear (the obese for example).

Also, within groups there are often people willing to wear the costume and help with minor details but not able to fully construct said costume. This may be a way bit out but I know for things like WOW and Body FX people display their work using others. Whilst I am not suggesting that this should be the norm I am asking if there is something I didn't read that would allow for this or if the judges have considered this.

Again, apologies if this is the wrong topic.
Help with this question would be greatly appreciated.

Huntress Change topic now
Huntress
Le grande

Number of posts : 165
Transforms into : A cat canteen. I supply all-you-can-eat biscuits and meats. I also have a fountain of ever-flowing fresh water for your convenience.
Registration date : 2010-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post By JVCA. 15/04/10, 06:16 am

Merged Huntress' post into this thread as it's a more appropriate location. Very Happy
JVCA
Pronounced "Jay-vee-ka"

Number of posts : 7122
Transforms into : a crotchety old woman
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down
http://www.jvca.net.nz

Post By neimhaille. 15/04/10, 06:59 am

I have a severe physical disability myself that prevents me from making and wearing a lot of costumes. No I cannot make an exception for anyone, especially when there is an infinite number of alternatives that can be looked into.

Planning and working around what you have as advantages and disadvantages is what a competition is all about, regardless of the genre.

That said in a group the work is divided amongst everyone. So you can have people working on different parts of different costumes for each other. That is the advantage of a group: increased range of skills and labour hours. The disadvantage is everyone needs to contribute evenly so the score is the average of all components. It would be unfair to add another advantage to a group by allowing for swap outs of people. Solo entries cannot do that by their very nature.
neimhaille

Back to top Go down

Post By Mischa. 15/04/10, 08:12 am

Huntress wrote:

But also, that there are individuals who for many reasons may not be comfortable with the idea of creating something they have to wear (the obese for example).

Down with body-shame! sad we are all beautiful! I can imagine few things worse then the contest being filled with models of a certain height, age and dress size.
Mischa
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Back to top Go down

Post By Huntress. 15/04/10, 06:49 pm

Hello again,

I can't help but feel you have missed the point of what I was saying. With regard to the comments you have made, I find them extremely restrictive and limiting. I know many designers who would love to participate in re-creating costumes of well-known characters but for various personal reasons either cannot model the costume, or are completely uncomfortable to model their creations publicly. This has nothing to do with outside audience perceptions of a persons body type or shape, but rather to do with a person's own comfort zones, beliefs and many other valid personal reasons for not modeling the costumes they recreate themselves.

Surely Cosplay is about the quality of the creation, not who wears it so long as that person is there on the day to receive the prize. For instance, I have a family member who loves to create, but because of a severe spinal disability of almost 30 years which affects 75% of their body is therefore unable to enter competitions like this.

Disabilities also come in all shapes and sizes and what is possible for one is not possible for another. Even in the fashion industry and shows like WOW, the creators are encouraged to use models so that they are free to ensure that the design is fitting as it should.

Surely as long as the design and its creation are correctly attributed to the appropriate person and no one is accredited with work that isn't theirs, this what truly matters. When people take the time and effort to recreate a costume, they want to display it to its best effect and impact.

When a competition is so limiting in respect to the way it allows entries by potentially preventing someone to enter by saying that they MUST wear their creation I believe it is extremely callous and cruel (I am not saying it is deliberately so) to require them to model a costume they personally feel unable to model - especially if for them this is a creative outlet which provides them with healing. I feel it is a lack of understanding in a competition which I had felt was for the encouragement of that creative streak.

People have many legitimate personal reasons they might not be comfortable modeling a costume such as severe scarring (that they are reluctant to reveal), or perhaps they suffer from Post Traumatic Stress disorder, or many other legitimate disorders. I was merely saying I felt that there were a group of people who were being overlooked who we might have a chance to encourage. A chance that many of us perhaps haven't been given.

The reasons for bringing this to light were out of a desire to remain true to what I felt were the unspoken precepts and ideals that this competition is based on. There are so many talented people from all walks of life - I was attempting to see more of it celebrated. I have not set out to deliberately offend anyone or say that the rules are ALL wrong - merely that I think there is more to be considered here.

Huntress.
Huntress
Le grande

Transforms into : A cat canteen. I supply all-you-can-eat biscuits and meats. I also have a fountain of ever-flowing fresh water for your convenience.

Back to top Go down

Post By Mischa. 15/04/10, 08:16 pm

I see where you're coming from but I find it difficult to think of a body configuration that cannot wear a costume.

I cannot speak for the judges, but they are pretty accommodating people and I'm sure that they would be happy to work with someone's health issues- ie. judging them earlier in the contest, arranging it so they have extra time to get on stage etc. etc

Personally I think physical diversity should be celebrated. There is a long history of hiding people who are "different" which is just depressing and wrong.
Mischa
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Back to top Go down

Post By neimhaille. 16/04/10, 01:51 am

I did not miss the point. You are asking three very different things:
Disability related and most people with disabilities who have had them for a long time know where their real boundaries are. If we can do something we will. Also I find it a bit insulting to suggest someone cannot wear a costume because of external (or mixed external/internal) aides. For one so long as I can get a good look at the costume I can judge based on quality. For the other if it is incorporated into the skit (and there are many ways of doing this) then it will not hamper performance. A prerecorded skit makes it easier too.

I also find it really insulting that you push my personal disability aside simply because you cannot see it. I mentioned it because it makes it clear I have thought about this (and not just in terms of the contest) and because I am not alone, I know there are others who have worked around their limitations without mentioning it to others. There are concessions and then there is disadvantaging others. What you are asking falls into the latter. A concession is to have help and support to attend the contest not make the contest totally change.

There is also leeway for getting help in the making. This is why it is mentioned specifically in the forms.

Second: that there are people too nervous to go on stage. Yes and half the competitors are terrified as it is but still get up and do it. Hell I wore a Slave Leia costume despite the sheer terror that my artistry in that costume was going to get totally overlooked by those only wanting a goggle fest. I was right too. Sigh. But I still did it. I have scars that I exposed in that costume. Scars that have a social stigma. I know others are in the same boat and won't show them. And while I think that's sad that is up to them to decide.
We had a few groups in Wellington that had to enter at the last moment due to members dropping out for various reasons- some more serious than others some for health and some for nerves etc. They still forged ahead and entered and it is all to their credit.

And ultimately there are OTHER COSTUMES to choose from. People all the time set aside super hard costumes because they are unable to finish it on time.

It is a contest. Just a contest. There are several other events within the event where costumes made by others can be worn. The rules are extremely basic and simple and the basic rules of nearly every costume contest anywhere where technical skill is rewarded. I have never seen it be an issue and in fact there have been times they have been used to advantage. I saw an incredible cyber/punk costume once that just would not be possibile for someone who had both arms. It was sheer magic. And she also didn't limit herself to the one costume, she has others where this is not a feature.

Yes, Mischa, should someone needing special considerations for the judging process it is easily accommodated. If mentioned in the form then it is easier and can be organised in advance. Emailing is the best as I can then ask Bill where the room is so I can work out if the judging of that entry can take place there or if I need to make a place on a level with the entrance. Wheelchairs or scooters do not impeded
neimhaille

Back to top Go down

Post By Keysha-chan. 16/04/10, 04:33 am

What is wrong with choosing an alternative costume that suits yourself, or making slight little alterations to the original design (as I don't believe this is not allowed in the rules, just not OCs) to boost confidence (I've had a midriff-exposing costume in the past that covered a little more midriff than the original design did for my own personal comfort).

I too have also seen quite a few people overcome obstacles to cosplay and/or enter the contest. I have some personal issues of my own that I've had to fight in order to compete in the past.

I can understand where you're coming from, but as neimhaille said, she can't make acceptations for some and not for others as it really breaks the fairness of the contest as a whole - and help on the day if needed can always be provided. :)
Keysha-chan
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Back to top Go down
http://www.Keysha-chan.deviantart.com

Post By angellsnz. 16/04/10, 04:55 am

We also now have the Cosplay Parade.

Where any costume (as long as it is family friendly) be it commissioned, brought off the internet, ninja'd from your wardrobe, can be displayed to the adoration of the audience. Details of the maker can be made known to the MC and announced etc...
angellsnz
Armageddon Cosplay Contest Assistant

Number of posts : 199
Transforms into : I have one
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post By Mischa. 16/04/10, 06:15 am

Keysha-chan wrote:
What is wrong with choosing an alternative costume that suits yourself, or making slight little alterations to the original design (as I don't believe this is not allowed in the rules, just not OCs) to boost confidence (I've had a midriff-exposing costume in the past that covered a little more midriff than the original design did for my own personal comfort).

Agreed! No resonable person would mark you down for removing back details if you are going to be sitting on them in a wheelchair, or moving a waistline up to hide a stoma.
Mischa
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 16/04/10, 08:47 am

The rules for the Armageddon cosplay competition are the rules for the Armageddon cosplay competition. This competition is about a specific kind of costuming/performing.
The rules are the rules and if you can't abide by them, you can't enter.

HOWEVER, the Armageddon Cosplay competition is just one contest. It's the one that gets the most publicity around CNZ, but it's definately not the only one.

If people want to make, but not wear costumes, for whatever reason, then there are plenty of other places that accomodate this. You mentioned WOW, where the focus is on the outfit and makers rarely wear their own costumes. There are other cosplay competitions, where the rules may be different. There is just wearing the costume for the sake of doing so, or making them for specific occassions like LARPS or SCA type events.

Back to top Go down

Post By Freddie. 16/04/10, 08:51 am

In relation to the above comment;

Are there any NZ groups looking for people to model costumes and such?
Freddie
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2615
Transforms into : Doraemon
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Back to top Go down
http://youtube.com/DigitalFoxGirl

Post By seraphik. 16/04/10, 01:35 pm

i feel the need to add my 2 cents in.

having been competing for four years now, i have always found the judges very accomodating and helpful with a wide range of issues-- just because they're not willing to bend the rules doesn't mean that they're not understanding and sympathetic. if there's something in their power that they can do to help a group or an individual entering the competition, they will do it.

it's a challenge making a competition that everyone can compete in on a level playing field, but at the same time, having a disability is also all about challenges, and i can talk about this from experience.

also, the nature of the contest can then be questioned, re: the model notion. then it turns cosplay into more of a fashion show and a catwalk than what the hobby is really about-- you yourself becoming a different character. yes, physical disabilities or psychological hurdles might make it harder for you to wear the costume/get on stage in front of an audience, but those are challenges numerous people in the cosplay community undertake and fight to overcome them.

SUBVERSIVE GURGLINGS -- A COSPLAY BLOG || latest post: how to make a katamari head [katamari damacy]
LEVEL UP - a ke$ha's tik tok pokemon parody

h.d. theory.

'united we sew, divided we derp.'
seraphik
transient mod of fury

Number of posts : 4598
Transforms into : a post-graduate
Registration date : 2007-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 17/04/10, 12:33 am

Freddie wrote:
In relation to the above comment;

Are there any NZ groups looking for people to model costumes and such?
I assume WOW recruit people, because those chicks they have modelling the bras are practically never the people who made them. No idea where they advertise though.
The other obvious place I can think of is schools/poly tech's that teach costume design, but based on my expereince with those sorts of systems in general I'd guess that each student is in charge of recruiting their own model or using themselves.
People sporadically advertise here for people to model stuff, but its dependent on it fitting you right.

Back to top Go down

Post By Huntress. 17/04/10, 01:29 am

neimhaille wrote:
I also find it really insulting that you push my personal disability aside simply because you cannot see it. I mentioned it because it makes it clear I have thought about this (and not just in terms of the contest) and because I am not alone, I know there are others who have worked around their limitations without mentioning it to others. There are concessions and then there is disadvantaging others. What you are asking falls into the latter. A concession is to have help and support to attend the contest not make the contest totally change.

I feel that you are making some rather harsh assumptions here. I have lived with someone for almost 23 years who has a disability that people cannot see. I would NEVER in any way push aside someone's disability. However, the fact that I have lived with this person and still do all my life has made me very aware of the challenges faced on a day to day basis. What I am pointing out is that not everyone has the same disability or level of severity. There are people far worse off than one aforementioned - and not all are physical.

I have great respect and admiration for you for being able to overcome these issues. I am merely pointing out that there are a lot of people who are unable to. It is these people who I am asking you to consider. Surely a simple note from their doctor could verify their condition and the impact it has. As I am confident all personal information we give the judges is kept confidential anyway.

No insult has EVER been intended by these posts. This is not to pull down those who overcome great obstacles in this competition - I know most of us do. However, in all walks of life and arenas (universities, schools and other competitions worldwide) allowances are made to provide parity for those who do have disabilities to overcome. This was brought up NOT with the desire to give this group of people an unfair advantage, quite the reverse. I am talking about an equal opportunity here. I would hate to see ANYONE at any point in time label this competition as discriminatory. This is the main reason I have brought this up.

I am talking about this BECAUSE of how much I love Cosplay and how I have seen it grow and develop over the years. It is my desire to see it continue to grow in this manner. AND this is not about me. This has never been an attempt to stir up a hornet's nest or go about insulting the work of the unique and amazing individuals who enter.

I would be very sorry if it had been viewed as such.

I also think it is absolutely wonderful that you can be so accommodating with space and time where people need it.

Many thanks for your time and consideration,

Huntress

P.S. The post from this point forward is from the person in my household who has the disability I was speaking of:

For the purposes of identification, I will refer to myself as akal esh. I have lived with a disability for almost 30 years. I share to hopefully enlighten you as to why in its current format it is impossible for me to enter Cosplay. I love Cosplay. I think the people who organise it, run it and judge it do an exceptional job. Like my friend above, I admire and respect each individual who competes, especially those who overcome obstacles such as disability to enter. While it is wonderful that you go out of your way to provide time and space and no doubt other considerations for those who enter with disabilities, there are people like myself that simply cannot wear their costume - not because they may not want to, but simply because their disability prohibits them.

I have chosen to share some things about my own disability in the hope that you will rethink your rules and work out ways to accommodate people like myself. Firstly, let me say, that someone with a disability may have reached a place where they have found the inner strength to overcome their disability or what they themselves personally struggle with and they are to be commended for doing so. But not everyone has or is able to. From the perspective of organisations such as the Health and Disability Commission, no person with a disability should ever be required to simply get over their disability and be required to do everything an able-bodied or able-minded person can do. That must remain their choice to disclose their restrictions or scars or whatever else that may be, publicly. Anything else is considered to be discriminatory. This is why Universities for instance, have Disability Co-ordinators to ensure disabilities are accommodated to provide parity of learning. I know, because I had to utilise their services rather strenuously to get through my LLB. It gave me equality; it did not advantage me over my fellow students.

I am a very creative person. In my own home I can work at my own pace. It is set up to accommodate my needs to allow me to create. Fitting a costume on myself is very difficult. I cannot do it without assistance - but that can be overcome. What cannot be overcome is what may or may not happen on the day of the competition. I have a spinal disability. I've had many surgeries to try and correct the problems. I have a loss of over 40% total function in my body and over 75% of my body is affected. Yet if you look at me, I appear normal. I sometimes use external aids, but they create their own difficulties, so generally it is safer for me not to use them. As a result of the damage to my spine, I developed a secondary condition that has been diagnosed and misdiagnosed many times and was ultimately put into the too hard basket by labeling it CRPS. What this means for me is that I don't know if I will even be able to walk on the day, or even move. Furthermore I develop oversensitivity, which means you cannot touch me. On days such as this I cannot wear anything on my lower torso. My body interprets the simplest touch as severe pain. So the wind brushing my skin, or fabric doing the same has me in agony. I cannot sit and I cannot stand on days like this. I certainly cannot attend if I can't wear clothes on my lower torso, let alone model a costume. The painkillers I take are likely to sedate me so badly that I am incoherent. Furthermore, this can change from hour to hour. ON top of this I have residual effects from having had meningitis twice as the result of surgery and being in amongst the heat, the noise and the lights can often create debilitating migraines.

These are just some of the obstacles I have to overcome to attend Cosplay. Consequently I don't enter. Yet I am a creative person and would enjoy entering some of my re-creations. Yet I cannot guarantee my ability to attend and certainly could not model said costume - unless you wanted to run the risk of a substantial interruption to your competition through an ambulance being called because I collapsed. Where there is one of me, there are many people of the same or similar ilk. It would be lovely for people like myself to be able to enter our creations, even if we ourselves cannot physically attend, via a representative on our behalf. All other requirements of the competition could be met and the work correctly attributed to the creator, but the representative being their voice, hands and feet on the day.

Following on from this. Not all disabilities are physical. In fact psychological disabilities can be all the more debilitating for their lack of understanding in the community. People with these disabilities cannot simply overcome them and get on with it. They may be extremely creative and talented, but find it impossible to cross the barrier their psychological illness or disability creates for them. This is true even if the barrier is only perceived in their own mind.

Thank you all for taking the time to listen to my story. I truly hope it provides some food for thought.

Best Wishes and Kind Regards,
akal esh
Huntress
Le grande

Back to top Go down

Post By neimhaille. 17/04/10, 02:04 am

For WoW you have to make the garment for a model not for yourself- you can choose a model or have them choose for you. The garments need to a specific size or (tiny) range of sizes- for the models to be uniform and in case they are displayed after they have to go on mannequins of WoWs choosing.
Also professionals are allowed to enter. The performance is choreographed and the garments are posted in well ahead of time for judging. The models are not being judged as they are part of the display, ditto for the dancers etc. also used to fill the stage.
Yeah I have studied their rules and even was on a shortlist to work for the museum.

When you are working in a school and have to make garments they are rarely for yourself unless the project is specified for that. I'm not sure how models are chosen but the pattern blocks etc are for industry standards and thus the sample garments made are to a standard size.

The only contest I know where you can have a model or not that works is the Trash to Fashion contest in Auckland which I am also part of (last year and this year). The judging is done over two weekends. Four full time days of work and the entire contest is done in stages over a few months (registration ends months before the garments are seen.) It is also aimed at children between the ages of 5 and ten as well as high school kids. The model still has to be heavily involved as they are the ones to answer judges questions about how the entry was made.
The winner of 08 won with her garment she created while recouperating from an incredibly nasty accident and in fact modeled it herself despite the pain she was in and despite it affecting how she moved. It was part of why she won as her costume was all about recovery mental, physical and emotional.

For all of the above the garments have to be original designs and creations by the designers.

I was asked to judge both this and T2F because of my understanding of costume, my absolute and utter non-bias, the passion I have for the work and the extreme empathy I have with the contestants. There is not rule that I haven't had tested for breakability by people who are cunning and sneaky (aka SCAdian mischief makers who like testing things to the extreme) nor one I haven't thought about in terms of parity across the board.

The regional issue is far more of a concern. The contests are suppose to pick winners from each region. It has been purely by fluke that so far the winners have happened to come from those regions (assuming South Island for Christchurch ;) though we do have a Dunedin contest in a few weeks...) If I really wanted to make rules for restriction then I would make the regional contests exactly that. And all those who fly to each city purely for the cosplay and the contest would then be SooL. So the compromise is to run each contest as stand alone events and screen photographs of the winners at the TTCC presentation. It would be preferable to have the contestants in their costumes for the presentation but given how many people would be precluded from the Auckland contest (solid numbers not what ifs) it would be unfair. Few people can knock out enough high quality costumes in a year to be likely to win more than one contest anyway. It is still something I am constantly thinking about and thinking of the fairest options.

The novice category was begun out of this need for fairness and how the contest has evolved. It still doesn't mean every one gets a prize but it means people have a better chance to being compared.

Fairness is not about individual special cases, "but I wanted to make this and no one wants to join in" "but I need another 20 seconds for my skit" "but I didn't know the rules" "But I can't make armour and want someone else to do it for me" "but I was working/going to school on the cut off date" It's about remembering everyone faces those issues and that everyone has the ability to work around them in some way. Self responsibility and creativity make all those problems go away.

Judging is a mix of presentation (even if you don't do a skit it comes into play as presentation counts) technical excellence and ingenuity. This way everyone has a chance with the skills they have. It is a skills based contest. It is also not an exhibition. The parade was introduced for everyone who cannot or does not want to enter the contest because they do what they do and it just doesn't fit.

Concessions for disabilities are to allow a contestant access to the contest. And that is all covered. There is room for this in being able to get help in the making of and there is support to gain access to the judging room and stage and to allow minders. I really strongly recommend more people use that if they are genuinely concerned- I don't want any parents especially being concerned.

Yes, invisible illness is something I am acutely aware of, obviously. Mental illness, yep very much aware of how it affects people as it has touched my life in many ways from my own experience, to people I work with or for. The contest is not registered as a therapy. But that said a lot of patience and care and lack of patronising has helped a lot of contestants with challenges of this order. The prejudging is so that if there are any real issues it is in a controlled environment, the contestants know the way out, there is room for minders to help them. No one is thrown onto the stage with callous disregard. Everyone chooses to enter of their own accord. There is no coercion to enter.

I will never judge based on body factors. If a garment/costume is well made it is well made regardless of who is wearing it- not height nor mass nor colour nor symmetry not texture cannot be used to advantage or balanced by skill. No one can stop anyone from feeling embarrassed about themselves. But the contest is not at fault. Personal feelings need to change, not make the contest. The contest has always accepted that humans come in all sorts of shapes. Change the attitudes of the audience or learn to accept if not love your own body, the contest already does.

I will however say that there are many many factors that have been considered, implimented, sort of work, failed spectaularly or permanently incorporated. There is room for the contest to change but it will be as it evolves not by forcing change and making it go a certain way. I'd love it to be a masquerade to have an originals section for instance. But it involves more than just me or a few contestants and any change affects the contest here and in Australia and may require changes in organisation and staff. No decision is made lightly.
neimhaille

Back to top Go down

Post By Li-Bai. 17/04/10, 02:53 am

u_ne_korn wrote:
I assume WOW recruit people, because those chicks they have modelling the bras are practically never the people who made them. No idea where they advertise though.
The other obvious place I can think of is schools/poly tech's that teach costume design, but based on my expereince with those sorts of systems in general I'd guess that each student is in charge of recruiting their own model or using themselves.
People sporadically advertise here for people to model stuff, but its dependent on it fitting you right.

You can audition for it. EaterOfCake was once in WoW.
Li-Bai
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2251
Transforms into : a lover and a renegade fighter.
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Back to top Go down
http://li-bai.deviantart.com

Post By Guest. 17/04/10, 03:23 am

akal esh,
I reckon that if you want to participate in the cosplay competition, then do so. Your challenges sound like they are different to those that most cosplayers have to deal with, and I would not presume to tell you to "get over it". But we all deal with challenges, of a wide variety. From finding time and space and resources to create; physical difficulties which range from feet which refuse to fit into high heels to chronic conditions which daily impact our lives; to mental issues that range from chronic procrastination to anxiety that makes having fun extremely difficult.
Every year, people decide on the day that their personal conditions are such that they can not compete in the competition and drop out. Dropping out on the day of the competition is not a big deal. I know several people who have done it and they come back kicking the next year.

Nike may be a corporate whore of the worst variety, but "Just do it" is the best slogan ever invented.

Back to top Go down

Post By Highlander. 17/04/10, 04:07 am

u_ne_korn wrote:

Nike may be a corporate whore of the worst variety, but "Just do it" is the best slogan ever invented.

I live my life by it.
Highlander
dark CHii

Number of posts : 4033
Transforms into : This stylish saffron shirt.
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Back to top Go down
http://skydrive.live.com/#cid=23D41AFD1F51E1F4

Post By Zeb. 17/04/10, 09:33 am

Ah heck.

Lets go back to ye good old days when I was running the show and was a complete strict by the book cow.

*watches everyone run away screaming in horror*

Thought so.

Knew Michaela would make the comp fantastic, and she has gone above and BEYOND.

Total respect hun.
Zeb
Le grande

Transforms into : Being a cantankerous old crone prone to cackling...
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down
http://www.geekchixxx.com

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Armageddon Cosplay Contest Rules and registration forms

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cosplay New Zealand :: Important :: Announcements and Updates-