Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Help on figuring part of a CCS battle costume

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Help on figuring part of a CCS battle costume
Post By sakura_petals. 01/05/09, 02:20 pm

Hey people, I'm wanting to make/do this costume (under the spoiler) for Armageddon next year but don't have a clue how the front piece on the cape could work. I've worked out the rest but this part is still being a huge pain!!

Spoiler:
sakura_petals
sakura_petals
TEH WIZARD OF OZ.

Number of posts : 1503
Registration date : 2009-04-10

Help on figuring part of a CCS battle costume Vide
Back to top Go down

Re: Help on figuring part of a CCS battle costume
Post By Rolly. 01/05/09, 02:48 pm

I would suggest you make it separately. Make the top bit like a poncho thing, or whatever those medieval people have, and then make the cape. You may want to sew it separately, and wear it separately.

Or you can sew them seperately and then sew them together so they become one garment.

/tired brain is fuzzy and above post may not make any sense.
Rolly
Rolly
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2918
Transforms into : a stylish shoe for the blind earthbender
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post By sakura_petals. 01/05/09, 02:54 pm

No, actually it makes lots of sense!! Doing it separately makes for a good think, but then the other problem is how would I get it over my head? One idea I had was making an opening under the star (following from the one in the collar) and then the star would fasten over top. But I'd like other ideas!!
sakura_petals
sakura_petals
TEH WIZARD OF OZ.

Back to top Go down

Post By Aikome. 01/05/09, 04:26 pm

What about elastic for the collar/neck bit, it needs only stretch to pull over head T_T ..though I don't know if that would look right. A fastening under the star bit sounds like a good idea!
Aikome
Aikome
TEH WIZARD OF OZ.

Number of posts : 1564
Transforms into : TROLL :3
Registration date : 2009-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post By Rolly. 02/05/09, 10:07 am

Hmmm.... if you break the cape bit down... the yellow bit with the star looks like a medieval sort of garment, where the knighty people would wear. You know, with the emblems and stuff. You might want to research a bit into how they wore it...

Your idea sounds logical to me! Like velcro on the underside of the star... hehehe...
Rolly
Rolly
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2918
Transforms into : a stylish shoe for the blind earthbender
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 02/05/09, 10:45 am

you see, the only problem with those methods would be the line you'd get down the front, where on the picture there isnt a line >w< i suggest putting a zip down the back or velcro down the back its less noticable and will keep your cosplay looking like the original, good luck because that costumes too cute >w<

Back to top Go down

Post By sakura_petals. 02/05/09, 12:17 pm

There's sort of a line from the neck down to the star - the way I figure it, that could continue under the star but stop before the star ends so it's still hidden but I can still get my head through. As for the medieval style, Knights didn't really wear that sort of thing over mail (I do Medieval re-enactment so I sort of know but good sugestion!!)

I know isn't it pretty? I've always loved this battle costume of hers and now I get to figure out how Maddison made it and how it was worn!! Velcro down the back isn't a silly idea though!! I'll have to think and figure that out. I take it you meant only down the back of the yellow breast plate thingy?
sakura_petals
sakura_petals
TEH WIZARD OF OZ.

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 02/05/09, 12:19 pm

yup thats what i meant oh only down to the star, i figured youy would go past it for more space for you head..

Back to top Go down

Post By sakura_petals. 02/05/09, 12:24 pm

Not if I made the star huge. Very Happy But as you can see I haven't thought too much about that part, hence the asking of the question. Very Happy But I do love the suggestions everyone has come up with!! I love other points of view!
sakura_petals
sakura_petals
TEH WIZARD OF OZ.

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 02/05/09, 12:25 pm

ys because cosplayers have ountains of knowledge D:

Back to top Go down

Post By sakura_petals. 02/05/09, 12:33 pm

Oh yeah!!! You've been at it for much longer than I have so I Help on figuring part of a CCS battle costume Worshippy to your superior knowledge! Very Happy
sakura_petals
sakura_petals
TEH WIZARD OF OZ.

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 02/05/09, 12:35 pm

well actually not really, my first cosplay is coming through the mail to me next week >< i haven't actually cosplayed before but i have knowledge on costumes though!

Back to top Go down

Post By sakura_petals. 02/05/09, 12:38 pm

Knowledge of costumes is a great knowledge to have!! I have my imagination and artistic skills to help me figure stuff out but then trying to make those plans practical is not an easy step for me to take!
sakura_petals
sakura_petals
TEH WIZARD OF OZ.

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 02/05/09, 12:41 pm

but when you try to sew and semi-fail you whore around trademe til something you like pops up and KACHING i have a jigoku shoujo cosplay >w< lol my friend was like "don't worry i'll buy it and you can save ur moneys!" and she buys herself a miku hatsune costume >w<

Back to top Go down

Post By Highlander. 10/05/09, 08:06 am

x kiki-chan x wrote:
but when you try to sew and semi-fail you whore around trademe

Yeah it is very frustrating. At least with cosplay you can use a sewing machine, unlike SCA where hand sewing is encouraged. (My flatmates machine hates me.) However at CF I sat down with a woman from auckland who said she did not know how to sew a year ago. She was in a beautiful hand made dress and under tunic. A Simple pattern, but well fitted and with lace and embroidery on it. As she said this she was embroidering a wedding gift. Her message, there is hope for me.

I/we learnt a couple of new hand sewing techiniques in 15 minutes flat from nicola on Wednesday, and probably three new ones, and several seam and heam techniques in total in about 45 minutes. Not that I am any good at them yet, just need to find many many hours to practise. A couple of people including our instructor have said that they were daunted by learning to embroider their garments, but with the skill gained by doing it they are not satisfied with the simplicity of the design and want wish they had done a harder one. So again their is hope, if you have the patience. Nobody is ever happy with their first garment.

RE: Sakura Petals

The coif? (is that the right?) was worn under the mail, sometimes jewllery called a torgue? (is that right?) was worn, hung from the shoulders, a hood could he lowered over the shoulders. But this is none of those. The neck piece looks like a Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Manga/Anime speciality. However the tailored turned over cuffs look like circa ~ 1715 (1600's-1800's) european though. At first I thought the colour was buff, ie the neck and all the detail was leather. But the hem of the cloak is free flowing, and the turned over cuffs presumably show the colour of the lining of the coat.

I think you are on the right track if it works with the split behind the star.

Are you going to do the coat as in the picture. Stiffly shaped to flare out at the skirt, or just free flowing.
Highlander
Highlander
dark CHii

Number of posts : 4033
Transforms into : This stylish saffron shirt.
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Back to top Go down
http://skydrive.live.com/#cid=23D41AFD1F51E1F4

Post By sakura_petals. 11/05/09, 04:03 am

Highlander: I'm hopefully going to do the coat like the pic (sticking out) I'll see if using interfacing will work. The pattern I'm looking at for the coat is a pirate/military one so it has the huge cuffs and the the fullness of the coat skirt.

As for the capelet/breastplate problem I think I might have another solution, have one entire side of the breastplate be detatchable (on the capelet) so I have heaps of room to put my head through.
sakura_petals
sakura_petals
TEH WIZARD OF OZ.

Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 11/05/09, 04:18 am

You could have a center front seam down the top of the capelet - the star could be detachable, to help hide the seam, but that would let you get your head through :) To get that stiffness in the coat hem, ou may need something a bit more substantial than interfacing...but maybe not, see how you go :3 If you need more floof though, try stitching wire into the hem? A nice heavy one, number 8 or higher would be nice and stiff.
Static
Static
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3584
Transforms into : HULKSMASH
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down
http://www.little-noise.com

Post By Guest. 11/05/09, 04:27 am

If the interfacing does not help, due to gravity etc, try pleating where the Jacker flares...easy enough to do if you make the top part of it separate...because it is very hard for a semi-beginner (like me lol) to pleat at the waist of the jacket bottom while the bodice is attached...I have to try and do that for my ACB Gown...lol

But to show what I mean, here is a concept drawing down by someone who has seen the gown I am basing my ACB gown on in person:

Spoiler:

The last one shows how the Bodice flares...though sitting on pockets hoops, it still flares out quite a bit...((and keep in mind that your jacket will be shorter, as without the pocket hoops that robe is very long...so yours will be stronger....))

So pleating ftw if the interfacing doesn't work...lol

SS

Back to top Go down

Post By sakura_petals. 11/05/09, 04:42 pm

Thanks for the info! I'd already thought about pleats for the flaring but I didn't think that I'd need them around the side only the back! sigh I'm pretty sure the pattern I'm using has some pleats and also uses interfacing but if it doesn't work out just following the instructions I'll take the advice given and put pleats in (after taking it off the bodice and before putting in the lining!)
sakura_petals
sakura_petals
TEH WIZARD OF OZ.

Back to top Go down

Post By Sponsored content.

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down