Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cosplay Photography Etiquette

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Re: Cosplay Photography Etiquette
Post By Squishy blob. 23/04/09, 06:52 am

A good photographer is one that's not stalking you.

Anyway... It helps if they have a good idea about what the character you're cosplaying is like and aren't afraid to try something new.
Squishy blob
Squishy blob
LEVEL UP!

Number of posts : 1228
Transforms into : pancakes at 5am
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Cosplay Photography Etiquette - Page 2 Vide
Back to top Go down
http://squishyblob.tumblr.com

Post By Static. 23/04/09, 07:07 am

UGH lost my post again! Second time 'round...

Another thing that can really help make a photo pop is going for something other than the standard full-length-lots-of-background-shot. Going for a slightly different angle on a waist-up or chest-up shot can be a lot more interesting. You don't get as much detail of the costume overall, but if the cosplayer's in character there's a lot that can be conveyed with just half a body, or just the face.

Also lighting! But then there's not a lot you can do about that in a convention...
Static
Static
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3584
Transforms into : HULKSMASH
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down
http://www.little-noise.com

Post By deceptivemagick. 23/04/09, 09:57 am

Editing the photo after wards makes things better too, photoshop is a beautiful thing
deceptivemagick
deceptivemagick
lucky*

Number of posts : 1115
Transforms into : an epic fire breathing dragon
Registration date : 2009-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 23/04/09, 09:58 am

OH VERY
Static
Static
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Freddie. 23/04/09, 11:56 am

Static wrote:
Going for a slightly different angle on a waist-up or chest-up shot can be a lot more interesting.
My Mind Takes That So The Wrong Way~
Freddie
Freddie
forum prisoner.

Number of posts : 2615
Transforms into : Doraemon
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/DigitalFoxGirl

Post By Static. 23/04/09, 12:05 pm

Lol, figures Razz
Static
Static
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By guest18. 01/03/10, 08:55 am

I will ask cosplayer permission first before taking their picture and hope they will pose instead of asking me what pose I want

I dunno about the character you are cosplay most of the time, so I want them to show me :)
guest18
guest18
Unexplanatory

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-07-10

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/people/Aoi-Futaba/557355520

Post By Li-Bai. 05/04/10, 11:21 am

I'll repost this here, because I feel it's pretty important and well-written.

This is taken from BehindInfinity's Tux Team Guide to... Convention Ettiquete, which I posted in the Convention Tips a while ago.

Quote :
COSPLAYERS ARE NOT MASCOTS
Cosplayers aren't paid to stand there and pose for you. Most of us are willing and happy to take pictures with other people but PLEASE ASK. AND DO IT NICELY. By that, I don't mean yelling "HEY LET ME TAKE A PICTURE OF YOU" while forcefully pulling us away from our friends. That's not asking for permission. Asking would entail actually giving the receiving party a choice.

Also, don't force cosplayers into situations that would cause them physical or emotional distress. Don't pressure them to do yaoi or yuri or pose in manners that they aren't comfortable with.

THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU
Please be considerate. If you see a cosplayer engaged in a conversation, it's best to wait until they're done before you ask to take their picture. It would also be a big help if everyone could please PLEASE wait for their turn. It gets really confusing when we're pulled away from each other and don't even know where to look anymore.

Also, WHEN COSPLAYERS ARE EATING, LEAVE THEM ALONE. Do you really want pictures of us while our mouths are full of food? Come on. (Eating time is a very personal time. Please allow us this break.)

BAWWWW OMG BETCH WOULDN'T LET ME GET A PICTURE!!1
If you ask for a photo, and a cosplayer politely declines, let them go. If you aren't a renowned blowhole or pervert, it's probably nothing personal. Like I mentioned above, cosplayers aren't paid mascots. They aren't obligated to pose for you. We have our own lives and our own things to deal with so there are times when posing for a picture is the last thing in our minds.

My friends and I sometimes have to decline requests for photos and ask them if we could postpone it for later for reasons such as:
1. We're not completely dressed yet or our costumes need adjusting. This is because, as much as possible, we hope to look our best for you.
2. We have something urgent to attend to, like setting up our merchandise booth or if we have tasks to carry out (like being a judge or a panelist) during a convention.
3. There is an emergency we need to deal with immediately, such as a friend losing their belongings. Or when the call of nature is particularly strong.
4. You might have caught us speaking to a friend and we would really appreciate if you could allow us to finish our conversation.
5. We feel like we're about to collapse from a combination of starvation and dehydration and would very much like to be excused briefly to replenish our systems in order to stay in the world of the living.

(No. 5 IS THE MOST COMMON OFFENSE!!! To those of you who regularly read my journals, you might know that when it comes to me and my friends, TO KEEP US AWAY FROM OUR FOOD IS A MOST UNHOLY ACT!)

YOUR PRINCIPLES ARE NOT THE SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE'S
As for the people who do not want their pictures taken at all - leave them alone. Nowhere does it say "Upon entering the convention venue in costume, you must subject yourself to the whims of anyone with a camera in their possession." There are some who just enjoy being dressed up as they go around the con, and would prefer not to have complete strangers keep a record of their faces which may end up on the internet or some crazy person's wall.

Just because everyone else is agreeing to have their pictures taken, does not mean that those select few must be forced to follow. Once again - cosplayers are not paid mascots. If they go out of their way to accept your requests and are treat you nicely, it is from the kindness in their hearts and you owe them your thanks.

To camera-wielders: Please try to be understanding.
To cosplayers: If you're going to decline, please do so nicely and perhaps offer a short explanation.
Li-Bai
Li-Bai
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2251
Transforms into : a lover and a renegade fighter.
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Back to top Go down
http://li-bai.deviantart.com

Post By Keysha-chan. 05/04/10, 11:23 am

Since we've been directed from the Wellygeddon 2010 photos thread, I'd like to make a small suggestion to guest18's comment:

majority of the cosplayer
in new zealand doesnt know how to pose but very good in technical
knowledge of cosplaying

while majority of the cosplay prop and
costume is nice and amazing the person who is wearing it is ... well let
just say still much improvement can be make ?

I'm not going to say if cosplayers need improvement or not as there's so much of a range in experience and understanding. As others have pointed out - some are good at modeling and know what to do, others aren't so sure and are more into cosplay for the costuming itself.

However, I do agree with critique.

But, I like constructive critique.

It's all easy enough to say afterwards 'this is wrong/they didn't do any good' but unless you say WHAT wasn't good and how they can IMPROVE on it, it's nothing more than hurtful.

Also, being a photographer, you must know that a small part of your job is also to direct your model(s). Don't think that cosplayers are different. If they're just standing their in the photo not doing a thing, and you KNOW how you can make it just that little bit better, why not suggest it to them?

"Lift your weapon, bring one foot further forward and turn to a slight angle, maybe smile just a little bit, please?" Small things like that. You KNOW what will make the photo turn out better, but the cosplayer might not - after all they're not the one looking through the lense. This kind of advice can help them down the track.

My first time cosplaying in Hong Kong I had NO idea what to do and simply stood there when asked for a photo. The photographer asked me to strike a pose from the game, and turn side-ways slightly. That alone gave me a huge boost in confidence because it was my first time and I had no idea what to do. If you word it nicely, they can't take offense and if they DO then they're being far too sensitive TBH.

It's a team effort. True, we are a small country, and we're still learning - but we can only learn when we're taught and that's why we need friendly, helpful advice over 'you need improvement' but don't offer us a way to grow.

Also, fyi - you need to check out some of the photoshoots cosplayers do (rather than conventions) - most of all ones like Static's. NZ cosplayers in those are very much able to pose (not to mention, from experience doing a shoot with her) she's also very good at directing you in the photo shoot.

Just my 2 cents. :3
Keysha-chan
Keysha-chan
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Back to top Go down
http://www.Keysha-chan.deviantart.com

Post By Tama-Pon. 05/04/10, 11:37 am

I don't mean to sound horrible, but I strongly agree with guest18's comment.. (even though it was a bit anal.)

We do need to learn to pose properly, like when our Magna Carta group went up on stage I was unbelievably embarrassed because I was sort of the only one that continuously changed poses, everyone else just stood there or stayed doing the same pose. So I stopped after a while thinking I was doing something wrong - and Adora was my first cosplay, so I was new to everything too, when people asked to take photos I only sometimes posed.

Although I do greatly dislike ninja pictures that are taken, if people WANT to take pictures, it would be helpful to ASK, then just maybe the cosplayer will especially pose for you - and you'll get a decent picture.

But yeah, that's my 2 cents.
Tama-Pon
Tama-Pon
Ultimatum

Number of posts : 209
Transforms into : in your bed.
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Back to top Go down
http://chi-yuki.deviantart.com/

Post By Pura. 05/04/10, 12:40 pm

Well, when we're on stage, there's hardly any time to keep changing pose, and if we were changing half the time, half the photos would be of people's blurred movements.

At one stage, someone was taking a smile and I got told to smile D:
BUT MAYA HAS NOT SMILED IN THE GAME EVEN ONCE ;A;
I WAS BEING IN CHARACTER D8 //shot
Pura
Pura
Optimus Prime

Number of posts : 5530
Transforms into : Coke blooded monster
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post By Suixelo. 05/04/10, 12:45 pm

It is one thing if your friends take photos of you unposed, but when a stranger does it, or someone who isn't so close to you, it is creepy. Please ask.

And also, I agree but also disagree with the way guest18 has worded his posts. You have got to understand we are in New Zealand. Not Singapore, not USA, not Japan. Cosplayers in NZ focus on the construction of the costume as well as private photoshoots if we want them, simply to show off the costume. In the USA or Japan, cosplayers at conventions have to be able to pose well at a convention because that is the cosplay culture there. In NZ, some of us know how to pose and like it, some of us don't want to model and just want to show off their construction and sewing skills. We are an entirely unique country with our own ways and I suggest you spend time getting to know us before telling us we need to do something we don't want to do. Cosplay is a hobby, there should be no 'needs'. Cosplayers should only do what they are comfotable with, and if this means no photos, it means no photos.

In saying that though, if you do plan to say yes to a photo, I suggest you memorise a few character poses so you don't feel awkward or make the photographer feel awkward. If you're not comfortable with the 'famous' poses your character has, make up some that feel comfortable to you but are still in character.
Suixelo
Suixelo
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3569
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post By Static. 05/04/10, 01:21 pm

I stongly disagree with guest18, and take offense - and I don't really offend easily. Cosplayers are in no way obligated to make sure a photographer gets a good photo, and judging from what I've seen, you don't actually ASK for photos half the time. Protip: if you want an awesome photo, it helps if the model is in on the plot. Speaking as a photographer, I'm offended at the insinuation that we're all crap. As a cosplayer, I'm offended that you expect perfect photos when you don't make the effort to get one.

I also stongly disagree with animemay's comment about it being rude to refuse a photo. We're not getting paid to be there, and although it is a public event, thus giving you the right to photograph anyone you want, it is NOT rude to politely refuse. It is however rude to accuse cosplayers of refusing on purpose just to make you feel bad.

I would also like to throw in another point of etiquette for photographers. If you happen to be in the same place as a group of cosplayers being photographed by someone else, by all means ask if you can join in - but taking photos over the shoulder of the other photographer? Not physics cool. If the cosplayers don't mind, then fine - but please make sure everyone knows what the physics is going on. It is only polite.
Static
Static
Souperman.

Back to top Go down

Post By Guest. 05/04/10, 01:25 pm

^I pretty much agree with static, That was exactly what I was thinking from the start.

Back to top Go down

Post By Keysha-chan. 05/04/10, 01:39 pm

*gives Static a round of applause*
Keysha-chan
Keysha-chan
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Back to top Go down
http://www.Keysha-chan.deviantart.com

Post By iwuvanime. 05/04/10, 01:40 pm

I agree with Static,

I try and do in Character poses but it is hard asd I am not comfortable with how I look a lot. I also can't contort my face (in complimenting ways) so I do end up with the same facial expression a lot (I can't not smile).

I don't think it is rude to refuse photos, I have done it a few times myself and I love having my photo taken (even if I end up looking like a retard in half of them) but some people may be shy or in my case rushing off to meet someone or get to the judging on time. I had one situation where a friend and I were making our way to judging and refused a photo and when we were leaving we heard the people say 'What a bunch of b****'

Also I think it is better to stay in one pose when on stage, a lot of people are taking photos and when you move it can end up with blury photos (expecially of someone has a slow shutter speed) the only thing I really do is maybe move my head slightly. There just really isn't enough stage time to do lots of poses.

I would love it if a phtographer would direct me as I can't see what they see I am just hoping I am looking good....in fact the only time I have ever been directed was by sylvie and may I say that was fun.

We have to remember that everyone is at different levels and have different personalities....cosplayers arn't professional models and therefore should no expect to act like they are....they are PEOPLE not objects.
iwuvanime
iwuvanime
paoupu fruit

Number of posts : 448
Transforms into : Lady Fluffalups, Super Villaness Extraordinaire
Registration date : 2008-12-16

Back to top Go down
http://Www.iwuvanime.tumblr.com

Post By Ninaarrx3. 05/04/10, 01:42 pm

Keysha-chan wrote:
*gives Static a round of applause*

(: I agree with Static entirely.
Ninaarrx3
Ninaarrx3
EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 589
Transforms into : who knows~
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Back to top Go down
http://wboutmystar.deviantart.com/

Post By Mischa. 05/04/10, 01:48 pm

THIS. GO STATIC!

I am too busy sewing to stand in front of a mirror for hours perfecting my pout.
Mischa
Mischa
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1045
Transforms into : GRIMDARK
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Back to top Go down
http://www.doublestitch.co.nz

Post By level10. 05/04/10, 02:26 pm

Criticising amateurs for not posing like models is retarded.
level10
level10
Zenbu

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post By RainbowMoonDust. 05/04/10, 02:46 pm

I agree with everything that Static has said also. nodnod

It is rude to call cosplayers bad at what they do or amatuers just because they don't pose. Mad For your information I can name a LOT of cosplayers who always pose for photos in character and who are good at it! nodnod I try to memorise poses for whichever character I am cosplaying but sometimes when I'm tired or my mind is elsewhere I forget what I've learned and just wing it instead. However I would like to think that that I am pretty good at posing, for ALL the characters I have cosplayed I have done a signature pose for that character for EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM! nodnod

I normally agree to photos but if my costume needs fixing or if I'm in a hurry or for various other reasons (Not feeling well, need to pee etc) I refuse and sometimes I don't have the time for an explanation but I still try to be polite about it.

One more thing. ASK FOR PHOTOS! I HATE it when people ninja photos of me, I find it rude and annoying because most of the time I look like crap when I'm caught of guard. angry Remember, that photoshoots are as much for cosplayer as they are for you, you want good photos, then you have to work together with us. Asking us to pose is fine but complaining about if we don't want to is not on, we are not your puppets, we are humans with feelings, treat us as such.
RainbowMoonDust
RainbowMoonDust
fraggle rock

Number of posts : 1480
Transforms into : Goddess of mischief
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Back to top Go down
http://rainbowmoondust.livejournal.com/

Post By Guest. 05/04/10, 02:53 pm

As someone who is incredibly cam-shy, I would be pretty upset if someone took my photo, then, without directing me, blamed me for it turning out poorly. I'd probably be inclined to go crawl into a hole or wear a paper bag on my face for the rest of the day. xD

Back to top Go down

Post By Hannah. 05/04/10, 02:53 pm

Agree with static also

This (welly geddon) was my FIRST EVER cosplay event and i almost felt obliged to carry a "WARNING NOOB expect fail picture" sign as i usually feel very uncomfortable being photographed and also have no understanding of what looks good on camera.
which is why i was thinking people could post suggestions of good GENERIC poses for newbies?
also the ninja shots usually turn out horrible,
it was getting to the point when i approached people who did this and asked if they would like a proper shot. i cant help but sympathize with the shy ones

//end post dump
Hannah
Hannah
EVEN MORE EPICLY EPIC

Number of posts : 798
Transforms into : a shark yo
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post By Cactiberry. 05/04/10, 03:07 pm

/joins the horde that agrees with Static
I'm going to sound so condenscending, but especially for newbie cosplayers (especially the younger ones >>) getting photographed can either be thrilling, terrifying, joyful or just plain hated. It already takes a LOT of courage to go out in public in costume, and getting photographed is just having a permanent (ish) record which, once posted on the internet or whatever, can ALWAYS be dug up later, and it is just _that_ much better if it's a good shot (And therefore not cripplingly embaressing). Both the photographer AND the cosplayer have to work equally to get a good shot. The photographer by, er, photographing it, helping the cosplayer with poses/expressions whatever, and asking for feedback, the cosplayer for working with the photographer for that shot, cosplaying and being willing to adjust things.
But that can be ruined so easily, by heaps of factors - the photographer not asking permission, the cosplayer by being surly/unwilling without reason and so on.
But not all of us are 'professional' or good at posing, and a lot of us are still really new to the cosplay scene.
Bah. I'm not experienced or whatever, but I'm allowed my say, aren't I?
>>
That probably didn't make any sense whatsoever/was repeating what other people have said. But eh.
Cactiberry
Cactiberry
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2283
Transforms into : sharpedo
Registration date : 2009-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post By PIe. 05/04/10, 03:10 pm

I agree with Static on this also

And here are my 2c.
If I am asked for a photo first and agree to it (I am very thankfull to the boys who I said no to while eating pizza who came back 10 minutes later, you may have bothered me while eating but at least you had the respect to let me eat), I will pose in character. If you do not ask or I say no then I will not. There were a lot of times over the weekend when I was just relaxing and I had my photo taken, since I wasn't asked for a photo I did not pose.
I have had experience in fashion modelling, it is completely different to having photos taken in cosplay and the same at the same time. You are still trying to get a good picture taken that is flattering of both you and what you are wearing. The difference is that you aren't being paid for this, posing in character can be a lot harder than it is on a set, especially if it's a character that is hard to pose for and you generally only have one shot per person and even on a set for a fashion shoot there are always one or two shots that look bad.
In a con we are not on a set or location, we are surrounded by hundreds of other people, there is noise, people walking past and distractions, naturally it will be hard to get a great photo inside.
/end fail at explaining my POV
PIe
PIe
Sushi ;O

Number of posts : 2070
Transforms into : The Goddamn Batman
Registration date : 2009-04-09

Back to top Go down
http://Personified-Insanity.deviantart.com

Post By Tama-Pon. 05/04/10, 03:36 pm