Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Hi there! This forum has now moved over to Facebook. You can find us by searching for 'Cosplay New Zealand', or going to https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosplaynewzealand/

We'll see you there.
Cosplay New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RulesRules  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Vinyl anti-stinky..

View previous topic View next topic Go down
MessageAuthor
Vinyl anti-stinky..
Post By Static. 15/03/09, 04:41 am

So, I'm working with vinyl again for my Auckgeddon competition costume. It's going to be a LOT of vinyl, in the rough shape of a victorian ballgown. So my question to those of you who have worked with vinyl - how do you fight the sweaty and stinky side efect of wearing plastic? I was thinking of lining it with a cotton poplin to help absorb some of the inevitable perspiration, but is there a better way to do it? Any other methods? I'm thinking of neimheille and her Catwoman here, so if she's watching...Razz

Also: I have 4.5" spike stiletto heels to wear for Aucks for a different costume, and I hear there are these amazing wool insoles which make heels actually COMFORTABLE! What are these wondrous things? Are they readily available for shoe places, supermarkets, chemists, or shoe repair places? And are they are great as they've been made out to be? I must know!
Static
Static
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3584
Transforms into : HULKSMASH
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Vinyl anti-stinky.. Vide
Back to top Go down
http://www.little-noise.com

Re: Vinyl anti-stinky..
Post By neimhaille. 15/03/09, 06:48 am

I need nanna inserts so do indeed recommend them for comfy feet ;) Supermarkets sell them. If they are too thick to wear comfortably in your shoes then just get some odor eaters. They provide an additional cushioning layer anyway :) They are just mildly more embarassing to hand over at the counter ;)

The gel inserts you can buy are too hard for my feet, but they may be a better option. Though you can also cut the sheepie insoles to only cover the toe area.

I haven't had an issue with the pvc getting stinky, but I make sure to use an all day deodorant and to also give the costume a good spray with Oust. From a distance- I don't want the aerosol to dissolve the pvc coating ;)
If it's for the contest I can't obviously give any advice. Sigh.
neimhaille
neimhaille
Armageddon Cosplay Contest Judge

Number of posts : 661
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Vinyl anti-stinky.. Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Mischa. 15/03/09, 07:03 am

I've never worn vinyl but I hear talcum power might help (plus it will make you smell like a Nanna, and everyone loves Nannas!)

The shoe pads sound fantastic, I'm a total pain wuss and demand an epidural if I have to wear heels. I found "party feet" and "foot petals" a livesafer, but on some shoes they wiggle off.
Mischa
Mischa
HOT DIGGITY DOG

Number of posts : 1045
Transforms into : GRIMDARK
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Vinyl anti-stinky.. Vide
Back to top Go down
http://www.doublestitch.co.nz

Post By Static. 15/03/09, 07:53 am

Oh, you know what, I didn't even think about the conflict of interest thing...sorry!! As some may have noticed, I am fairly gifted with the insertion of feet (usually, though not always my own) into my mouth...whoops. >> cheers for the insole advice!
I've tried the party feet gel ones and found them to be pretty useless - after walking any distance the balls of my feet hurt just as bad as if they weren't there. Woolies sounds much nicer, as my feet are fairly beat up anyway...
Static
Static
Souperman.

Number of posts : 3584
Transforms into : HULKSMASH
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Vinyl anti-stinky.. Vide
Back to top Go down
http://www.little-noise.com

Post By neimhaille. 15/03/09, 12:44 pm

No worries :) I am impartial and would never mark someone up or down for doing what I have or haven't done, but it's better to have those clear boundaries :)

Spreading the Word of Deodorant though is within my jurisdiction ;) It's not just for those in costume...
neimhaille
neimhaille
Armageddon Cosplay Contest Judge

Number of posts : 661
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Vinyl anti-stinky.. Vide
Back to top Go down

Post By Pyro. 15/03/09, 04:46 pm

If anyone knows how to make vinyl smell less, give me a heads up too. ;_;

As I think we all know, I do so love my vinyl costumes, after all. x_X
Pyro